• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Things I didn't know about food

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I has in spain a longlong time ago, I stayed in a farmhouse with this chic, and we went for walks and stuff..............

Her mom would fill a big skillet with lard, get it hot as fuck, then crack eggs into it. They were unbelievable.
In Poland, everytime I was served food, the entire farkin food supply for the month got put on the table. At breakfast there's like 5 kinds of meats, 3 kinds of bread,, super dank cheeses, half a dozen jars of homegrown, pickled goodness, a fresh salatka, bomb azz yogurt....I'll tell ya.

I was told:
"In Poland we say,
Breakfast, eat like a king-
Lunch, share with a friend - and dinner give away to your enemy."

The meaning behind it that at breakfast you need the most fuel for the day ahead, at lunch less so and even less so at the evening hour.

Uglytruth

Mother Lode Found
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Tony's Creol seasoning & Old Bay spice are must have's.

Save bacon grease to cook in.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Old bay is good on pork chops.

I once did a big line of tonys by accident, and couldnt see out my left nostil for 4 days.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Old bay is good on pork chops.

I once did a big line of tonys by accident, and couldnt see out my left nostil for 4 days.
Got any good hot pepper stories?

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I have grown several varieties of ghost and scorpion peppers in the greenhouse out of curiosity mostly, and I think ill stick with the habs and jamaican farm peppers for my eating. They really arent suitable for comsumption. there are some stories, but I wont tell them here.

You do not want to start sampling ghost peppers w a snoot full of scotch.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
The healthiest way to cook an egg is hard boiled or poached.

Usury

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Ok to all the “cool your eggs first before peeling” crowd…..GROSS!!! Who wants to eat cold eggs????

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok to all the “cool your eggs first before peeling” crowd…..GROSS!!! Who wants to eat cold eggs????
Not me. I love some hard boiled eggs still warm from the boiling.

I've had decent results by putting fresh-boiled eggs in cold water for maybe a minute, and then immediately peeling them.
You want 'em in the water just long enough to cool them to a temperature that they can be safely handled for peeling.
I would suggest doing no more than two at a time, or by the time you get to the third egg, it might be too cold.

It does seems to help the shell come off better (although sometimes still not perfectly) but the egg itself stays warm because it wasn't in the water long enough to suck all the heat out.

Uglytruth

Mother Lode Found
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Are there any two foods, that, if prepared properly, no virus or bacteria, good clean food, but, that when these two foods are consumed, you will die, probably die, may die...but the two foods would produce a toxin that could kill you, more than likely kill you...
A cold gallon of mike & a fresh box of chocolate chip cookies will do that over time.

Also a fresh bag of chips & chip dip. :winks2:

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Tony's Creol seasoning & Old Bay spice are must have's.

Save bacon grease to cook in.
My mom used to save her bacon grease. She would put it in her frying oil for fried chicken. I forgot all about that.

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
The healthiest way to cook an egg is hard boiled or poached.
I just watched a video on water glassing eggs. I'm going to give it a shot. They have to be straight out of the hens butt and be clean. You cant wash them first.

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I grow ghost peppers. They are really, really hot. They are so hot I am careful who I give them too. One of the nurses at work used them for making sauce and understood them. I took a bag of peppers to work for him. One of my smart ass coworkers grabbed one out of the bag and ate it. It didn't go well.... BTW, it was the same coworker who told me I looked like a hooker in my leopard jacket.
:rotf:

PhucilliJerry

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I just watched a video on water glassing eggs. I'm going to give it a shot. They have to be straight out of the hens butt and be clean. You cant wash them first.

I ordered the lime to give that a try but we’ve been selling off our excess eggs since then.
I should just set aside a half dozen to see how it goes though.

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I ordered the lime to give that a try but we’ve been selling off our excess eggs since then.
I'm gathering the stuff. I think southern states will have the lime. I'm thinking about starting in half gallon glass jars.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I grew ghost peppers once. 1 pepper for a big pot of chili was perfect but honestly I have no idea why anyone would eat them.
I use Serranos in my salsa. great flavor and perfect heat for medium salsa. For hot salsa add a cayenne or 2.

Poached eggs are my favorite. Add a splash of vinegar to the water to help them hold together better.

When making chili use a variety of peppers. They all add varying amounts of heat that lasts varying amounts of time. For instance black pepper will give you sort of a use pepper flavor with minimal heat. Add a Thai peppr or a few as well. Gives an initial blast of heat and just when you think oh shit this is to hot, the heat is gone. Very short lived heat. Then the flavor from Serranos, jalapeño and cayenne kicks in. Not as hot as the Thai peppers and the heat lingers longer.

Last edited:

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I grow ghost peppers. They are really, really hot. They are so hot I am careful who I give them too. One of the nurses at work used them for making sauce and understood them. I took a bag of peppers to work for him. One of my smart ass coworkers grabbed one out of the bag and ate it. It didn't go well.... BTW, it was the same coworker who told me I looked like a hooker in my leopard jacket.
Lmao :belly laugh::blew up:

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

got any pictures?

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I'm reading on pickling lime. Evidently you can not put it down the drain. It will kill grass and tress too. they suggest kitty litter. Our local southern states carries it. I'm going to start my first jar today.

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
You want fluffy scrambled... put in a tablespoon of cottage cheese in and whip them up.

Another thing I do with an omelet is after it's cooking on one side place a tortilla on top before you flip (it can still be 'wet'). Add all manner of 'stuff'... cheese, veggies and fold with the tortilla inside. Makes a pretty nice burrito-like breakfast.

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
You bet!

When cutting up habaneros wear rubber gloves... if you forget, the next time you pee you'll know why.

I cut up some of those mild banana peppers once, sans gloves, you know the ones you can eat raw and there's no heat at all...?

Took out my contacts and WOWIE! and this after washing my hands!!

Stored the contacts in their little saline soup container over night and the next morning put them in... WOWIE!

I had to toss them out. Apparently, the eyes are more sensitive to peppers that "aren't" hot than the tongue...!

Contacts absorbe stuff!

Last edited:

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Here's a pre egg recipe...

Dana Pullen's Chicken Feet and Rice
You can't get chicken feet at the supermarket these days so you gotta go to a butcher store and beg for them (they're usually thrown away).
Once you get them, rinse them off, drop them into a pot of hot boiling water for five minutes and then take them out and the outer skin will just roll right off. Make sure you get it all off because there's no telling where the chicken's been walking.

Now that the skin is cleaned off, take our cast-iron Dutch oven , cover the bottom with oil and put in the feet. Fry til golden brown.
Put in a handful of onions and garlic (flattened). Fry the onions until you can see through them, put in the desired amount of rice (depending on the number of people you're feeding) and cover with water.

Add some salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Put the lid on and cook the rice til fluffy and the chicken feet are tender.

The only way to eat a chicken foot is to gnaw on it. The round ball of the foot is the best part. They are a gristly kind of thing and can be used in soups, but when you fry them they're really good.

Serve with potato salad, greens, and biscuits.

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
got any pictures?
Not of me in it but here is a pic of the jacket. It looks like a pet that needs named. I just wore it that one time. Its in a pile to go to the thrift store. For some odd reason I am having problems parting with it. However it must go. I also found some hair glitter and sparkle eyeshadow I bought during lockdown. I wonder where I thought I was going? I have no explanation for the odd behavior. I'm normally quite rational.

1653498232201.png

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
It looks pretty classy to me. The wife says I have no fashion sense because I dont wear underwear, so take it for what its worth (not much).

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
It looks pretty classy to me. The wife says I have no fashion sense because I dont wear underwear, so take it for what its worth (not much).
ask your wife about the jacket.. :belly laugh:

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Not of me in it but here is a pic of the jacket. It looks like a pet that needs named. I just wore it that one time. Its in a pile to go to the thrift store. For some odd reason I am having problems parting with it. However it must go. I also found some hair glitter and sparkle eyeshadow I bought during lockdown. I wonder where I thought I was going? I have no explanation for the odd behavior. I'm normally quite rational.

View attachment 260976
That jacket has the same print as my underwear!

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Another method of preserving eggs. Evidently the FDA does not like water glassing.

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I wonder where I thought I was going? I have no explanation for the odd behavior. I'm normally quite rational.
Maybe you should put this in big letters and tape it to your mirror, then look at it the next time you are going shopping.