• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Things I didn't know about food

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Not of me in it but here is a pic of the jacket. It looks like a pet that needs named. I just wore it that one time. Its in a pile to go to the thrift store. For some odd reason I am having problems parting with it. However it must go. I also found some hair glitter and sparkle eyeshadow I bought during lockdown. I wonder where I thought I was going? I have no explanation for the odd behavior. I'm normally quite rational.

View attachment 260976
Sounds like you were seeking a confidence boost and excitement/change...100% normal.

Thecrensh

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My plumber told me pour as much of the grease into a jar to cool and pour out later. What is left in the pot or skillet pour cool water and wait until grease and fat solidify on the surface, start cold water faucet fill the container to the top. While the faucet is running pour the entire contents down the drain any clumps use the sprayer braking them up smaller and the drain should pull it on down . Works for Me.
I've tried saving my grease to burn on my outdoor fires as a fuel. SOmetimes works well...sometimes attracts bears.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I've tried saving my grease to burn on my outdoor fires as a fuel. SOmetimes works well...sometimes attracts bears.
Sounds like a game of campfire roulette. Sometimes you get eaten by bears sometimes you don't.
LankyTangibleDunlin-max-1mb.gif

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Mafia kitchen?

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Haha NO. She is banned from the kitchen. I do 95% of the cooking and was trained by a Sicillian when I used to cook in a restaurant.
My son roomed with an Asian guy who taught him a lot about food.

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
OK, tip for those who store flour

for every lb of flour I add two whole bay leaves

for that five lb bag, I use eight to ten bay leaves

etc, etc, etc

old school trick from a friend of mines mom a long time ago

we never have critters in our flour since and it does not transfer taste to the flour

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Eagle
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
OK, tip for those who store flour

for every lb of flour I add two whole bay leaves

for that five lb bag, I use eight to ten bay leaves

etc, etc, etc

old school trick from a friend of mines mom a long time ago

we never have critters in our flour since and it does not transfer taste to the flour
I've been pouring our unbleached flour into qt. jars (it takes 4 jars per ea. 5 lb bag of flour) with an oxygen eater & then a vacuum.
Now, do I need to open those jars & put a bay leaf inside too ? :don't    know2:

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
do you get any weevils or other bugs in your flour?

If not, then no. But I do not use sealed jars. Just the bags they came in so I use Bay leaves in mine and never had any issues with them since

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I ordered the lime to give that a try but we’ve been selling off our excess eggs since then.
I should just set aside a half dozen to see how it goes though.
What u charging per dozen?

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Eagle
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
do you get any weevils or other bugs in your flour?

If not, then no. But I do not use sealed jars. Just the bags they came in so I use Bay leaves in mine and never had any issues with them since
I was getting little fuzzies in our rice, so I went that way with rice, beans, flour & pasta. Is it over kill?
What do you think the best storage is for moist dates & prunes?

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
I was getting little fuzzies in our rice, so I went that way with rice, beans, flour & pasta. Is it over kill?

T,
I don't know, I don't eat date or prunes... DON'T LIKE dates or prunes - especially prunes (do not need them)

PhucilliJerry

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
What u charging per dozen?

The wife is an ultrasound tech and works with Radiologists and other well paid medical professionals. So she just says if anyone wants eggs pay what you want when she brings them in. Most do $4-5 per dozen, but one of them pays $10/dozen if they’re clean, so he gets the cream of the crop since he’s paying our chicken feed bill each month.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
The wife is an ultrasound tech and works with Radiologists and other well paid medical professionals. So she just says if anyone wants eggs pay what you want when she brings them in. Most do $4-5 per dozen, but one of them pays $10/dozen if they’re clean, so he gets the cream of the crop since he’s paying our chicken feed bill each month.
My mom had started putting eggs in a cooler at the top of the driveway with a few $1 bills for change and let people pay on the honor system. The only pricing I can remember is $4 a dozen and some people would pay more as well and ultimately that extra money just as in your case was basically paying for the chicken feed. I think she stopped selling them now and don't recall the reason that the moment.

stAGgering

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Glass container with O2 absorbers x 2 for air space, no light exposure.
Have some dates stored since 2009 in Qt glass, no light exposure, WITHOUT O2 absorber.
They have become too sugary by a margin for my no sugar rule, and hint of age in flavor.
Use them in grain free, sugar free cookies or crumble on fruit pie/cake.
Buy Organic.
These are seeded which I believe are less risk as natures seal remains and design to sprout.
For daily I get lazy and buy pitted, $5.19lb organic here.
Storing I buy the case of seeded, 30lbs and not remembering $

Agavegirl1

Gold Chaser
Survivor
Midas Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Fruits off -gas ethylene which many vegetables such as cucumber and eggplant are sensitive to. Tomatoes are considered a fruit and also release ethylene. Store fruits and vegetables away from each other. Celery will last longer wrapped in aluminum foil. This works for cucumbers as well. Wash and dry both beforehand. Berries keep longer in mason jars in the refrigerator.

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
If you are raising chickens or ducks or geese...

My FIL (RIP) use to have a deal with the local grocer in the fresh vegetable area.

He took ALL the veggies 'throw away' - as the vege's age (day or three) the outer leaf wilts and the grocer pulls the old leaves off of them and throws them away.

He would go to the store once a week and pick up two or three boxes of wilted vege's...

AND FEED THEM TO THE CHICKENS. DUCKS. GEESE

their eggs were always larger and tasted better

my FIL passed on Mar 15, 1995

that is how long ago he was doing that