• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Things in my life that absolutely perfect for the purpose.

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
I'm 72 years old and have found a number of things that are really good at their purpose. Examples are my current new car, A 2018 Honda Accord 2.0 T in EXL trim, my Makita and Bosch battery tools, a RCBS Partner reloading press, a couple of my Benchmade knives, my custom made competition rifles, an 8" Hitachi slide miter saw, a laser clock that projects the time on the ceiling, my latest Sony cameras.

Have you noticed that, as you go through life, a lot of the consumer stuff you encounter will be okay, some is pure shit, some good and some really good like the stuff I listed above. But every once in a while you will find something so perfect for the purpose that it defines the purpose. They are hard to define and don't come along often. It's a Zen thing and not really understandable until you find your own examples of something that slots perfectly into a niche in you life. And not necessarily really important pieces of kit, one of my 2 examples is a bedside light. But it is perfect.

Number 1 is a flashlight, a Fenix TK-15, I now have three. They are heavy for their small size but balanced, not clumsy, robust, a quality feel, waterproof, drop proof and incredibly bright. Everyone who holds one, even people not mechanically inclined, know instinctively that they are holding a serious piece of gear. I know that someone here will say another brand is better to him but, to me, this flashlight defines the category of flashlight: robust, reliable, convenient, small, bright.

Number 2 ain't sexy at all, it just fits the category of something I use every day and is just so perfect for the task that I have no intention of ever replacing it. A bedside light. I've had lots of bedside lights, all some variation of some kind of stand with a pull chain or knob switch that you have to fumble for in the darkness. And when you turn it on at 4:45 AM, it's blinding. It's usually 2' or better tall and you have to REACH.

This one is a 10'' tall total white opaque glass touch sensitive lamp with a 3 (40, 60, 100 watt equivalent) way 2700K LED bulb. All you have to do is touch it to turn in on or off, no hunting or reaching, and when it comes on, the whole lamp glows a golden light, no blinding central point. It is small and and perfect for it's purpose.

My wife loves to play musical furniture every couple of months or so. I came in the bedroom one evening and almost got violent when my lamp was gone.

Do you have anything like this? Something just so perfect that it defines the category to you?

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
An old-style Gravely garden tractor...the walk-behind version, Model L.

Made from about 1945 to 1975 with Gravely's own engine - and then another 20 years with Kohler power bolted to the transmission case (not as good).

The original was heavy, somewhat awkward to start...but could do anything from blow or plow snow, to mow a large lot, to plowing a large garden. Once running, it would gallop through the mowing or snow-removal...if you wanted to ride, there was a seat-cart option, just attach it to the accessory hitch.

Field repair was a breeze. I once hit a stump in a field I was mowing down with the large direct-drive rotary mower...and while the slip-clutch didn't fully protect, and the accessory-drive shaft (internal) twisted like a candy cane...splitting the transmission case and getting it out, was a piece of cake. And the Gravely dealer, who worked out of a BARN fer-crissake, had a drawer full of them. Think he charged me $15 for it. Back in action in two hours.

We don't see equipment designed intelligently like that, anymore.

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I'm 72 years old and have found a number of things that are really good at their purpose. Examples are my current new car, A 2018 Honda Accord 2.0 T in EXL trim, my Makita and Bosch battery tools, a RCBS Partner reloading press, a couple of my Benchmade knives, my custom made competition rifles, an 8" Hitachi slide miter saw, a laser clock that projects the time on the ceiling, my latest Sony cameras.

Have you noticed that, as you go through life, a lot of the consumer stuff you encounter will be okay, some is pure shit, some good and some really good like the stuff I listed above. But every once in a while you will find something so perfect for the purpose that it defines the purpose. They are hard to define and don't come along often. It's a Zen thing and not really understandable until you find your own examples of something that slots perfectly into a niche in you life. And not necessarily really important pieces of kit, one of my 2 examples is a bedside light. But it is perfect.

Number 1 is a flashlight, a Fenix TK-15, I now have three. They are heavy for their small size but balanced, not clumsy, robust, a quality feel, waterproof, drop proof and incredibly bright. Everyone who holds one, even people not mechanically inclined, know instinctively that they are holding a serious piece of gear. I know that someone here will say another brand is better to him but, to me, this flashlight defines the category of flashlight: robust, reliable, convenient, small, bright.

Number 2 ain't sexy at all, it just fits the category of something I use every day and is just so perfect for the task that I have no intention of ever replacing it. A bedside light. I've had lots of bedside lights, all some variation of some kind of stand with a pull chain or knob switch that you have to fumble for in the darkness. And when you turn it on at 4:45 AM, it's blinding. It's usually 2' or better tall and you have to REACH.

This one is a 10'' tall total white opaque glass touch sensitive lamp with a 3 (40, 60, 100 watt equivalent) way 2700K LED bulb. All you have to do is touch it to turn in on or off, no hunting or reaching, and when it comes on, the whole lamp glows a golden light, no blinding central point. It is small and and perfect for it's purpose.

My wife loves to play musical furniture every couple of months or so. I came in the bedroom one evening and almost got violent when my lamp was gone.

Do you have anything like this? Something just so perfect that it defines the category to you?
I don't know what it is with me but it seems every time I find the perfect item it abruptly becomes discontinued. I wish I was making this up and it drives me freaking nuts! Its a bit disconcerning as it just happened 2 days ago again I went in looking for a product and they said you might find it over on the clearance shelf I thought, "you've got to be kidding me!"

My mind has been occupied with the opposite thoughts Tom. I hope you (edit: 'I have had' talk to text)had more brand new stuff break or be the wrong thing recently that it's left me with no other choice but to expect everything that comes across my path will fall apart,break, have missing components or have some other manufacturing defect.

I know there's a couple things that meet the criteria of your initial question but they won't come to mind until later so I'll check in then.

In conclusion nowadays when I find something I will really like I buy as many or as much as possible because I just know that the next time after that that I can back to look for it they're going to say "sorry we don't stock that anymore." You wouldn't believe me if I told you how many times does this happen to me, I van hardly believe it myself.

Last edited:

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Tools I love the most are my Stihl 026 (that Irons turned me onto.) That thing cuts like butter and never has issues. Next would be my aluminum 36" pipe wrenches. They get me out of allot of pickles and use them weeky.
IMG_3164.jpg

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
An old-style Gravely garden tractor...the walk-behind version, Model L.

Made from about 1945 to 1975 with Gravely's own engine - and then another 20 years with Kohler power bolted to the transmission case (not as good).

The original was heavy, somewhat awkward to start...but could do anything from blow or plow snow, to mow a large lot, to plowing a large garden. Once running, it would gallop through the mowing or snow-removal...if you wanted to ride, there was a seat-cart option, just attach it to the accessory hitch.

Field repair was a breeze. I once hit a stump in a field I was mowing down with the large direct-drive rotary mower...and while the slip-clutch didn't fully protect, and the accessory-drive shaft (internal) twisted like a candy cane...splitting the transmission case and getting it out, was a piece of cake. And the Gravely dealer, who worked out of a BARN fer-crissake, had a drawer full of them. Think he charged me $15 for it. Back in action in two hours.

We don't see equipment designed intelligently like that, anymore.
Fark no! The John Douchebag lawn tractor my mom had is a perfect example of the nasty, greedy, evil phuckery that is todays planned obsolescence.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Tools I love the most are my Stihl 026 (that Irons turned me onto.) That thing cuts like butter and never has issues. Next would be my aluminum 36" pipe wrenches. They get me out of allot of pickles and use them weeky.
View attachment 187874
Aluminium eh' ? Wild. Ive got my grandfathers old steel behemoth and didn't think they came made of anything aside from steel or chinesium.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
aluminum pipe wrenches are great!

historyrepete

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Cool post Tom d! My boys and I are always getting each other up to speed on the bestest shit. We're gun knives and flashlight junkies so that's always a oneupsman thing going on. And like newmisty referred sometimes good stuff goes to China and losses its appeal

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Ive gotta say ive probably used my pipe wrenches equally as both a wrench and a hammer.

Mujahideen

Bin Laden double.
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Greenlee 722 Wire Rope & Wire Cutter

Still cuts like it’s brand new, had it for years and use it often.

I thought I lost it once and I had a mini panic attack looking for it.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
That's their appeal and function. My boy told me my knife wasn't a screwdriver last week. I had to remind him of the tanto blade he put on his broken knife tip
:) Yep...I hear you Pete, trough trial and error(s) i've pretty much learned how much torque my utility blade can suffer before exploding...pretty much.

Screenshot_20201107-205840~2.png
Screenshot_20201107-210123~2.png

gliddenralston

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Interesting topic.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
my remote controlled shop overhead door opener.........i come n go everyday many times a day in and out of my shop.......tractors....my farm truck.....etc......i have 4 remotes in different vehicles......i bet it opens n closes a minimum of 10 times every day .....many days much more

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++

i looked at that flashlight. it appears to require a specialty battery. how do you handle the battery situation?

historyrepete

Silver Member
Silver Miner
my remote controlled shop overhead door opener.........i come n go everyday many times a day in and out of my shop.......tractors....my farm truck.....etc......i have 4 remotes in different vehicles......i bet it opens n closes a minimum of 10 times every day .....many days much more
Only matters when I'm coming home on the motorcycle

KnowWhy

I have magnifying glasses with a tiny, wired spotlight mounted nearly between my eyes. It’s white light, not blue. The intensity is adjustable and being a spotlight, it has a narrow field so as not to blind patients’ eyes.
Wherever I look, there are NO shadows. If I look in a mirror, the light reflects where I’m looking.
It’s amazing and I would have a very difficult time without it.

Kuhl Radikl pants (old style with stretch around the back pockets) are my absolute favorite. I bought five pairs of the old style. They define leg-wear for me.

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
i looked at that flashlight. it appears to require a specialty battery. how do you handle the battery situation?
Like I handle any battery. It's a single 18560 Li-Ion battery which looks like an AA on steroids and contains about 5X the energy. They are cheap, rechargeable and common. Tesla batteries are made by wiring a bunch of 18560's together.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
My dog.... She is the perfect alarm system. Great anti-theft mechanism and all around home security device... She is a tool I cant put a price on.

Buck

Come On, Man!
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I don't know what it is with me but it seems every time I find the perfect item it abruptly becomes discontinued.
my thoughts exactly but here's something i picked up on earlier in the year...

best thing that happened for me was when lots of new cordless tools came out at 20v lithium, and, someone got the great idea to build 'battery adapters' so i didn't have to throw out my old set of cordless 18v cadmium run tools. Now i take a lithium battery, put it on an adapter and plug it into my old tools and they work better than they did with the 18v packs. Saved me about $600+ on replacement tools

and i've done that 'swap out' already, when cordless first came out, makita had a battery pack for everything but had limited tool choices to match the voltage that the customer selected...i had a large mix and match of tools and batteries, cord and chargers for all 3 or 4 different packs i had...yuck and the cadmium batteries sucked all the convenience and cost out of having cordless tools...

stG, i just used that word in another thread...so funny

Great Minds Think Alike!
:2 thumbs up:

Buck

Come On, Man!
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
last one:
My Original Leatherman tool PST

I'm on my second one as I lost my first one by leaving it on a truck one day, i think

I have a newer replacement, and it works just fine, a bit larger with more accessories but, i had to have my original back so, i dropped 35 on ebay and now wear my 'original second one' everyday, just like my first one.

It flips open every time where the newer one is still stiff in it's sheath waiting for me to lose this one...LOL

not yet...

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
View attachment 187874
Something about Ridgid aluminum pipe wrenches. Relatively low crime area here but of all the things that regularly turn up missing are Ridgid aluminum pipe wrenches. And they disappear over lunch. It's the craziest thing. Especially the larger ones, 36" and 48". Yes, they are good tools and much easier to handle than their cast-iron cousins, but about 3 times the cost they should be. Lately seeing a lot of Ridgid clones for about 1/4 the price. Even the jaws are interchangeable with the Ridgids. Thinking of going that way because the busted or bent aluminum castings are one of the things that Ridgid won't replace for free anyway.

An observation as an aside... You can tell if a pipe-fitting outfit is union or merit by their large pipe wrenches. Merit shops will generally use aluminum wrenches 24" and above but union shops never do.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
last one:
My Original Leatherman tool PST

I'm on my second one as I lost my first one by leaving it on a truck one day, i think

I have a newer replacement, and it works just fine, a bit larger with more accessories but, i had to have my original back so, i dropped 35 on ebay and now wear my 'original second one' everyday, just like my first one.

It flips open every time where the newer one is still stiff in it's sheath waiting for me to lose this one...LOL

not yet...
I have THREE Leatherman Waves. Only one Leatherman Surge. Wherever I am, if I have my pants on -- I have a Wave Leatherman in one pocket, and my superbright BYBLIGHT in another. Use them both all fargin day long.

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
images.jpeg 41294411-pdpxl.jpg

Stanley Ratchet screwdriver and Victorinox pocket knife.

I bought the screwdriver about 20y ago, on a whim, and its been used a lot. I got paranoid about 10y ago and bought another. It is still in its packaging. I'm really surprised that mine is still working and the ratchet sounds and feels like when it was new.

I carry a Swiss Army knife where ever I go. One feature I really like is that the screwdriver bits lock in place when pressed down on. Only down-side is that I've 'given away' about 4 at customs, when I'm flying. Always forget to put it in my luggage, and always feel like a criminal when the beeping starts.

Had to edit. I almost forgot about my Mitutoyo 150mm Vernier Caliper that I inherited from my Dad, 30y ago.

Golden Regards
Uncle
PS. Cool topic Tom.

Last edited:

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
I've got so much crap (all good stuff) that I can't put my finger on any one thing - so, the two things I have in my right and left front pockets are a gun and a knife.

light.jpg

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I have magnifying glasses with a tiny, wired spotlight mounted nearly between my eyes. It’s white light, not blue. The intensity is adjustable and being a spotlight, it has a narrow field so as not to blind patients’ eyes.
Wherever I look, there are NO shadows. If I look in a mirror, the light reflects where I’m looking.
It’s amazing and I would have a very difficult time without it.

Kuhl Radikl pants (old style with stretch around the back pockets) are my absolute favorite. I bought five pairs of the old style. They define leg-wear for me.
Got a pic or more info on that light?

What kind of patients?

FlaGman

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Do you have a photo or model number for the lamp, Tom? I am constantly aggravated by what I am using now...

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Do you have a photo or model number for the lamp, Tom? I am constantly aggravated by what I am using now...
Here's a link to the Amazon page but it looks to be out of production. Shouldn't be too much of a problem, you should be able to find a close clone easily. https://us.amazon.com/dp/B07DGS366B/ref=sbl_dpx_B071V7MTM9_0

The lamp shipped with a 4000K 3-way bulb but I thought it was way too harsh, so I bought a 3-way 2700K soft white bulb. That's the Mama bear bulb, jussst right.

light.jpg

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
I’ve been wearing the same Gold Toe socks for seven years. Bet they have another three in them.

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Also, there isn’t a mechanic in the mining industry who doesn’t own knipex pliers. All of that knipex stuff is grade A.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
H
Here's a link to the Amazon page but it looks to be out of production. Shouldn't be too much of a problem, you should be able to find a close clone easily. https://us.amazon.com/dp/B07DGS366B/ref=sbl_dpx_B071V7MTM9_0

The lamp shipped with a 4000K 3-way bulb but I thought it was way too harsh, so I bought a 3-way 2700K soft white bulb. That's the Mama bear bulb, jussst right.

View attachment 187953
Thanks. Cause you know how whenever you try picture something or someone being described and when you finally see the object it's usually nothing like you pictured, yet also kind of is?

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
I’ve been wearing the same Gold Toe socks for seven years. Bet they have another three in them.
I just found the brand, a few months ago. Wal-mart socks were lasting shorter and shorter times...for a time I'd bought Carhartt socks at Fleet & Farm, but those don't hold up, either.

I was getting disgusted, and finally...after boycotting them 20 years...I walked into a JCPenney and hit the sock rack. Found the Gold Toe brand for a good price. Bought and was pleased.

That was just before Beer Virus and the JCP bankruptcy. Since then our store closed - not even a liquidation sale since everything was closed for Xi cooties. BUT...I did get a nice order through Amazon - which, I guess, is now the only way to buy that sort of thing.

None of them have worn out yet, in six months. I'm impressed.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Thanks fellas. I need to get some cold weather socks and reading your posts reminded me of a pair or two I've had in the past and they were shockingly well-fitting and comfortable. Like a glove for real.

Buck

Come On, Man!
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Also, there isn’t a mechanic in the mining industry who doesn’t own knipex pliers. All of that knipex stuff is grade A.
something solid about German Steel, i don't care for their engineering but their steel is top grade, will hold an edge on their cutters, for a long time

Zed

The Bullish Bear.
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
I had one too close to an ADSL internet link. The thing was putting out a frequency that took the link down every time it was turned on. Something to do with the touch bit. Took a long time to work it out. So there, that is something to know about touch lamps... they can upset some electronics! I never knew!

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Contigo thermal coffee mugs. Solid, cheap, no drips. And they keep your beverages hot (or cold) for hours.

Just make sure they're away from your face when pulling the trigger after a fresh hot fill. Otherwise you will get a little spurt in your face from the pressure build-up.
1604924817122.png