• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Things in my life that absolutely perfect for the purpose.

gliddenralston

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I've got a Mossberg 500 12 ga pump, that I've had since high school, its been in every weather condition, dropped in water and mud multiple times. Here's the weird part, I've never cleaned this gun in my life, a little oil once in a while, and its never had a malfunction of any kind, pull the trigger it shoots. Best cheap azz gun I ever owned.

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
This doesn't apply to many of you but I'm sure one or two. I've been using mechanical pencils/drafting pencils for quite a while. I sometimes have to produce actual drawings done by hand rather than a CAD program. Getting to be a lost art.

I've had "mechanical pencils" for decades but stumbled on these a couple of years ago. These Rotring pencils are to the garden variety Pentel as a a Ferrari is to a Yugo. The feel is pure quality, perfectly heavy and balanced. These are the best writing/drawing instruments I've ever used. German of course.

Rotring.jpg

Last edited:

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
This doesn't apply to many of you but I'm sure one or two. I've been using mechanical pencils/drafting pencils for quite a while. I sometimes have to produce actual production drawings done by hand rather than a CAD program. Getting to be a lost art.

I've had "mechanical pencils" for decades but stumbled on these a couple of years ago. These Rotring pencils are to the garden variety Pentel as a a Ferrari is to a Yugo. The feel is pure quality, perfectly heavy and balanced. These are the best writing/drawing instruments I've ever used. German of course.

View attachment 189697
Where did you get them? And how much?

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
From memory the 600 around $30 and the 800 around $50, from Amazon. I've got 5 of them.

2nd place for the Japanese Kurotoga

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
This! A recent discovery after a brief change of habit.
76df6e81-b522-4800-b8ae-cf20f38e9ee1_1.6e743293fd6fb5f2bacf960b8e1e72d9.jpeg

Since moving to and working outdoors in a much hotter climate then the first two thirds of my life, my feet sure do stink in the summer months. I found this recently and by golly it actually works! I was fortunate to have found it at a time when they included an instant dollar off coupon on the can. The last time I went however no more coupons . Being frugal I hesitate to purchase it at full retail price but thinking about it it's definitely worth it in my situation. You just take your stinky shoes off spray this stuff in there which works upside down or right side up and then let it dry out. Quick and easy and effective.

gringott

"Veteran of the Battle of Knob Creek"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Matterhorn boots. Bought in 1987 for winter Infantry use. Effective. Cheaper than Danners, that were popular with officers. Less than half the price at the time, around $50. They had a booth at the Armor Conference in 2002, I told the guy how well the boots held up. He said, here, some new bootlaces, they might need changing. I liked that. Still have them and wear them in the appropriate weather conditions.

Colt .45 1911. Works using a time honored design, does what it was invented to do. Plus you can gold plate it. Also cracks walnuts.

FlaGman

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
This is an embarrassing admission on my part, but If you haven’t tried one yet I highly recommend installing one of those toilet seat bidet butt-washers.

I have always had a problem with getting clean after number 2, to the extent that I used several wet wipes each time and still only wore black or other dark underwear colors. I always thought I must have internal hemorrhoids or some physical quirk that prevented me from keeping clean, because it seemed no matter how much I wiped I would get skid marks.

I had been interested in the bidet seats a few years ago but they seemed expensive for something I didn’t know if I would like. Plus having a remote control, temperature controlled water, heated seat, and a blow dryer seemed excessive for a guy that just wanted a cleaner ass.

I ended up getting a basic unit from Hello Tushy that installs in a few minutes by using a “t“ fitting into the toilet inlet and bolting under the seat. It has a dial on the side to adjust the water pressure and another adjustment for angle of the nozzle. Mine was about $70, but they have similar looking ones on Amazon for about $35 or so.

When I first tried it I felt kind of silly, honestly. The first few times I wiped as usual, flushed, and used it as kind of a rinse function. It took me about a week to get used to it, but once I realized how well it worked I mostly just dry my ass with a little toilet paper afterward.

Sorry for all the detail, but I realize this is not a subject normally talked about and I am trying to give enough information that you can decide if it is worthwhile to try.

For me, I will never go back to not having one of these things. Mostly I like feeling really clean but I also like not having soiled underwear (plus my wife has to wash it, which is embarrassing). I may try one of the higher end units at some point, they do have a nicer appearance without the controls on the side like mine, but I would have to install an outlet for power

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
This is an embarrassing admission on my part, but If you haven’t tried one yet I highly recommend installing one of those toilet seat bidet butt-washers.
Actually, I did that about a year and a half ago when I was having back problems that wouldn't let me twist or compress. Never looked back.

gringott

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Does this type device result in a lot of toilet cleaning, meaning does it make a mess?

FlaGman

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Does this type device result in a lot of toilet cleaning, meaning does it make a mess?
No different than usual, and on mine there is a rinse function to “self clean” the nozzle. I think if burrito night ends with so much splashing that the underside of the toilet seat needs to be wiped down then the nozzle may need a few seconds of attention.

the_shootist

Old Pasty White Guy
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++

I have always had a problem with getting clean after number 2, to the extent that I used several wet wipes each time and still only wore black or other dark underwear colors. I always thought I must have internal hemorrhoids or some physical quirk that prevented me from keeping clean, because it seemed no matter how much I wiped I would get skid marks.

I had been interested in the bidet seats a few years ago but they seemed expensive for something I didn’t know if I would like. Plus having a remote control, temperature controlled water, heated seat, and a blow dryer seemed excessive for a guy that just wanted a cleaner ass.

I ended up getting a basic unit from Hello Tushy that installs in a few minutes by using a “t“ fitting into the toilet inlet and bolting under the seat. It has a dial on the side to adjust the water pressure and another adjustment for angle of the nozzle. Mine was about $70, but they have similar looking ones on Amazon for about $35 or so.

When I first tried it I felt kind of silly, honestly. The first few times I wiped as usual, flushed, and used it as kind of a rinse function. It took me about a week to get used to it, but once I realized how well it worked I mostly just dry my ass with a little toilet paper afterward.

Sorry for all the detail, but I realize this is not a subject normally talked about and I am trying to give enough information that you can decide if it is worthwhile to try.

For me, I will never go back to not having one of these things. Mostly I like feeling really clean but I also like not having soiled underwear (plus my wife has to wash it, which is embarrassing). I may try one of the higher end units at some point, they do have a nicer appearance without the controls on the side like mine, but I would have to install an outlet for power
Thanks for the info sir!!

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner

FlaGman

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Actually, I did that about a year and a half ago when I was having back problems that wouldn't let me twist or compress. Never looked back.
I wish I had one 30 years ago when I fell off a ladder and shattered my right wrist. With surgeries I was in a cast for months, made every task more difficult-bathroom visits included. I don’t like to think about getting old or incapable of taking care of myself (Hell, I didn’t think I’d live this long!), but I can see where this thing will make it easier to take care of business in that situation.

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++

gringott

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I wonder if you could attach one of those foaming soap things for cars?

ToBeSelfEvident

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
There's nothing like quality natural fabrics, but they are getting more expensive.

The Duluth fire hose clothes wear like iron. My original pair looks brand new after 10 years of regular use.

We have 1800-count Egyptian cotton sheet sets on all our beds. Fantastic comfort and they were cheap, like $30 for any size. I now have 4 sets for each bed. They don't seem to wear out; our originals are from 2013 and still look good. Looks like the price is now $40 for any size. https://thesheetpeople.com/p/worlds-best-bed-sheets

I use merino wool blankets, they are a lot nicer than "army" wool and do not itch. The Wooly Mammoth blanket I got a few years ago for $60 is now $80.

Merino wool socks from Darn Tough. Lifetime guarantee. About $23

How about a knife that looks like a wrench? $40. Actually works pretty well as a neck knife.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Contigo thermal coffee mugs. Solid, cheap, no drips. And they keep your beverages hot (or cold) for hours.

Just make sure they're away from your face when pulling the trigger after a fresh hot fill. Otherwise you will get a little spurt in your face from the pressure build-up.
View attachment 188027
D-FENZ, thank you. I have been looking for a replacement of the one I lost in the fire. On your recommendation, I bought 2 of them. :finished::oriental:

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Contigo thermal coffee mugs. Solid, cheap, no drips. And they keep your beverages hot (or cold) for hours.

Just make sure they're away from your face when pulling the trigger after a fresh hot fill. Otherwise you will get a little spurt in your face from the pressure build-up.
/QUOTE]

Just bought one.

the_shootist

Old Pasty White Guy
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Hey I ordered one for my bathroom. I like the water fountain idea for country relatives.
I picked up two, one for me and one for the wife as we have separate bathrooms...she doesn't know it yet so I may have one unused for sale at some point lol

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
D-FENZ, thank you. I have been looking for a replacement of the one I lost in the fire. On your recommendation, I bought 2 of them. :finished::oriental:
Contigo mugs are superb. I have two - the second was a smaller one to fit under a Keurig coffeemaker.

The Keurig was not so superb. Shortly after I bought the mug that fits, the Keurig had a computer lockup that all the Interweb cures wouldn't solve.

Nine months of it, and into the trash. The Contigo mug with the Keurig brand on it, remains...a reminder, that some things are worth keeping, and some, not.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
TomD, thanks for this thread, & everyone that is contributing. I am 78 years old & I will use it for reference. :2 thumbs up:
Yeah, I get to start ALL OVER with EVERYTHING !!! :finished:

KnowWhy

TBSE, I got excited about the sheets, but then saw—they aren’t cotton. Bummer
i despise deceptive wording (on their part) because I too really like natural fibers.

ToBeSelfEvident

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
TBSE, I got excited about the sheets, but then saw—they aren’t cotton. Bummer
i despise deceptive wording (on their part) because I too really like natural fibers.
I have to LOL at myself, you are right! Made in China and it doesn't even specify the fabric! Just says "Egyptian Comfort". Could they be plastic? Bamboo? I dunno, but it doesn't make them any less comfortable, and the deep colors resist fading a lot better than any cotton I've had. Give 'em a try anyway, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
This doesn't apply to many of you but I'm sure one or two. I've been using mechanical pencils/drafting pencils for quite a while. I sometimes have to produce actual drawings done by hand rather than a CAD program. Getting to be a lost art.

View attachment 189697
I lost ALL of this. In the righthand corner, you can see lead holders from the 60's & 70's. They were aluminum & held the old K&E lead that I sharpened with the pointer on top of my electric eraser. I C+P one from fleabay, they want over $200 incl shipping! I preferred this method, as I could keep the point right as I wanted.

IMG_0532 - Copy.JPG

1605920226261.png

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
I lost ALL of this.
This gave me thought, friend.

I love Montana; and I loved Colorado before it became overrun. But I'm a child of the East Coast. Born in Nassau County, NY; grew up in Cleveland, but spent summers in the Adirondack Preserve.

I have, as so many Easterners have, the romantic memories of cabins on deep glacial Adirondack (or other) inland lakes...those cabins surrounded by conifer and birch trees...to where, to see the summer sun, you have to take an air mattress out and paddle it 200 feet in the cold lake water, to get away from the thick forest canopy.

That's an eastern forest, where it rains every three days. Where the biggest selling items in local tourist-oriented general stores are, alcohol in various forms, cards, and board games. Yup...to have a summer vacation there, you have to plan for a LOT of rainy days.

You head West, and it's a vastly different ecosphere. I was surprised to learn that the forested wild lands of El Paso County, Colarado, were classified as "Alpine Desert." They sure don't look like it - but as we saw a few years ago, they definitely burn like there's a water deficit.

In California, they USED to warn against building under the forest canopy. I guess they don't, anymore - because the only class of people who can afford to buy, don't like to be told what to do.

Oregon, in some parts, may be similar. PLEASE NOTE, I am not being critical - only commenting on how, what looks nice, and actually works in the Eastern woodlands, may be more risk-entailing in other, drier forest regions.

Especially when augmented by political radicals with arson tools and a law-enforcement bureaucracy that is intentionally ignoring them.

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I wish I had one 30 years ago when I fell off a ladder and shattered my right wrist. With surgeries I was in a cast for months, made every task more difficult-bathroom visits included. I don’t like to think about getting old or incapable of taking care of myself (Hell, I didn’t think I’d live this long!), but I can see where this thing will make it easier to take care of business in that situation.
My brother just had surgery & had to have his wife wipe for him. I would have bought one of these in a second for him. Maybe one for me also.

charlie1023

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I will go another direction here and go with my personal hobbies.....anything in large scale model railroading made by LGB, hands down the best know matter the age.....and in the kitchen, though there are many decent and good knives out there, I love our Cutco knives with their lifetime sharpening & warranties, tough to beat those when slicing and dicing, makes me wonder why others can't duplicate this type of cutting performance without getting too pricey.

PS. I will admit, you guys have me thinking about the toilet thingy......

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
My brother just had surgery & had to have his wife wipe for him. I would have bought one of these in a second for him. Maybe one for me also.
Honestly, try it

the_shootist

Old Pasty White Guy
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I will go another direction here and go with my personal hobbies.....anything in large scale model railroading made by LGB, hands down the best know matter the age.....and in the kitchen, though there are many decent and good knives out there, I love our Cutco knives with their lifetime sharpening & warranties, tough to beat those when slicing and dicing, makes me wonder why others can't duplicate this type of cutting performance without getting too pricey.

PS. I will admit, you guys have me thinking about the toilet thingy......
CUTCO! i actually sild them for a short time... got to keep the set which I use at least a couple of times a day. My favorite, and most used it are the Cutco shears. The most badass scissors I'm aware of.

As a salesperson are instructions where to follow a script that had it supposedly been worked out for the maximum affect. One of the things you do during the presentation is take the scissors and you ask them for a shiny penny. Shiny because then it would be the zincoln and.not da coppah. So they hand you the penny and you start cutting the penny with the scissors and say to them, "lets say you're out with your Mark Twain <-[edit *loved one-stupid talk to text] and you're having a picnic and you brought a bottle of wine, and then you suddenly realize you don't have a corkscrew! So what do you do? Well you pull out your Cutco shears and make yourself one!"
By then you will have cut a spiral toward the inside of the penny and you get what looks like a small Corkscrew then you try to sell them a $700 knife set. I was actually the top salesperson in my group and sold a couple of the big sets including one to my mom who absolutely loves it uses it everyday too.

So one of the things they tell you as a buyer is the Cutco forever guarantee which you get the free Factory sharpening but also if you take say your chef's knife and use it to dig your driveway and break it they'll replace it at such-and-such cost. But I remember the lady telling us something about a salesman cutting tin for his roof wirh thwm or something like that. Well fast forward....gosh like 15 years or so which was a month and a half ago. I was making some fancy cuts for the dripbedge on the she shed. tin snips were too bulky so the next day I very excitedly brought my Cutco shears. They were pretty much the only thing that could have gotten me through that part of the project.

So short story long, 4 over 15 years I had this small hint of a doubt, no I guess more of a strong curiosity about the true efficacy of these highly-touted magic scissors.......

They're the friggin bomb! I cut that metal drip edge now they're back home and they'll cut a laser straight line on a piece of paper without batting an eyelash.

*thats right. ...Went looking for a good quick vid of them in action...(yall on your own there!) And they're called Super Shears. B A D A Z Z

Last edited:

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling

If you have the space or are building, you may as well go all in with the real deal. My wife uses it all the time and loves it. Me not so much. I think I actually used it only once in 25 years but that was because I didn't flush the toilet bowl cleaner one time before splashing a number 2 in the toilet next to it. Talk about burning your ass... but it was awesome for putting that fire out.

The only other thing I use the bidet for is a coffee table to hold my coffee cup when I use that bath. Makes a horrible coffee table.

1605950916214.png

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Japanese Green Bell nail clippers

I went through life using $2-$3 nail clippers until I discovered by accident that there are clippers out there that are an order of magnitude better. What do I mean by better? Far sharper, easier to handle, cuts cleaner, cuts easier and, as is consistent in all of the gear that I am really attracted to, a hard to precisely define quality feel.

My wife discovered my clippers and would constantly come and borrow them whenever she needed them. But she has never developed the habit of EVER putting anything back where it belongs, so my clippers were constantly lost. So I had to buy a set for her but she misplaces them and still gets mine because she knows EXACTLY where they are. My wife was flight crew on a Naval transport aircraft a number of years back and I have no idea how she survived that environment with those habit patterns.

Not saying that the Green Bell brand is the only really good upscale brand but they are certainly in that category.

BTW: The toe nail clippers are Green Bell-G 1008. If you search for them, they will show up as selling in the $35-$45 range but Amazon sells them for $19.

green bell.jpg

Last edited:

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
BTW- re Cutco:

Since 1949, Cutco has proudly made high-quality kitchen knives and products in Olean, New York, and we are committed to keeping it that way.
SHOP AMERICAN MADE