• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Thoughts on platinum

edsl48

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
The photos are too large for here but here is the link
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/how-platinum-improves-our-world/
My only thoughts are will the future of self driving or electric cars cut the demand
Any thoughts? Its cheap relative to gold at the moment. I don't think it would be practical for SHTF purposes and I would not buy one not in a package like PCGS, NGC or Apmex mint direct to alert my heirs that it isn't silver.

Authored by Nicholas LePan via VisualCapitalist.com,

Within the hierarchy of precious metals, there is only one metal that could arguably stand above gold, and that is platinum.

This is due in large part to the metal’s rarity throughout history. Its earliest known use was on the Casket of Thebes in Ancient Egypt. South American Indigenous populations also used platinum for jewelry.

But platinum’s value goes beyond being a precious metal—its specific properties have made it indispensable to the modern economy, improving both the health and the wealth of the world.

Platinum’s Industrial Applications
Today’s infographic comes to us from the World Platinum Investment Council and outlines specifically how specific platinum’s properties are used in the modern economy.

There are four primary uses of platinum aside from investment demand.

1. Manufacturing
  2. Healthcare
  3. Environmental
  4. Renewable Power
Let’s look into all of these cases a little deeper.

1. Manufacturing
Platinum’s versatility in manufacturing has quadrupled its demand since 1980. Its catalytic properties are critical to the production of fertilizers, and more specifically, platinum’s efficiency in converting ammonia to nitric acid paved the way for large-scale fertilizer production.

Around 90% of the nitrogen produced using platinum catalysts is used to make 190 million tonnes of fertilizers each year.

2. Healthcare
Platinum is a biologically compatible metal because it is both non-toxic and stable. It does not react negatively with or affect body tissues, which makes it an ideal material for medical tools. Platinum’s use in medicine dates back to 1874 for its use in arthroscopic tools. Its stability also makes it ideal for pacemakers and hearing assist devices today.

While non-threatening to healthy cells, platinum compounds known as cisplatin can damage cancer cells and treat testicular, ovarian, lung, bladder, and other cancers. Given these crucial applications, the World Health Organization has put cisplatin on its List of Essential Medicines.

3. Environmental
Platinum is a critical material in the fight for cleaner air and in the construction of energy-efficient fiberglass. It is used in catalytic converters in exhaust systems of gas-powered vehicles, reducing the emission of harmful pollutants. In addition, platinum is used in the manufacturing process of high-end glass that improves the heating and cooling efficiency of homes and offices.

4. Renewable Power
Platinum’s catalytic properties make it critical to cleaning up air pollution, producing renewable hydrogen, and unleashing its power in fuel cells. Electrolysis, which can turn water into hydrogen and oxygen, works best when passing an electric current through platinum electrodes.

Fuel cells are set to power a new generation of emission-free vehicles, and platinum membranes are used inside of them as well.

More Than Precious
More than a precious metal, platinum has many applications that make it a critical material for the modern economy in years to come.

Last edited:

Rollie Free

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I dont know that I agree about the premium. Provident has a 1 ounce bar for 900 with spot at 870.

FthePolice

Silver Miner
On impulse a few months ago I bought a 1oz Platinum Eagle. It's in a PCGS Holder MS69. The premium was $80 over spot. It could be sitting in the vault for awhile. Competing with Palladium for the cars is what I heard. Perhaps the catalytic converters would go back to platinum.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
On impulse a few months ago I bought a 1oz Platinum Eagle. It's in a PCGS Holder MS69. The premium was $80 over spot. It could be sitting in the vault for awhile. Competing with Palladium for the cars is what I heard. Perhaps the catalytic converters would go back to platinum.
Fthe, palladium may get too expensive then the cats would go back to platinum. JMUO.

Rollie Free

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I dont know that I agree about the premium. Provident has a 1 ounce bar for 900 with spot at 870.
Quoting myself on location from the kingdom of Dumbdun.
I was thinking about a play on platinum and didn't realize this was a weekend only sale. Still considering it but might see if we get additional drops.
What is everyone else thinking?

oldgaranddad

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Question
Do coins hold their value or is it better to just get the cheapest bar you can?
Coins are a bit easier to dispose of when comes to selling since you have another pool of buyers interested in your metal for like and different reasons.

HistoryStudent

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame

plata_oro

Seeker
Seeker
About a month ago I traded a gold eagle for a platinum eagle and a 1/2 platinum eagle plus 5 silver kangaroos. Mind you the spot for platinum was much lower the gold price has remained the same. Until last year I never owned any physical platinum other than a wedding ring. I think relative to gold it's ridiculously undervalued. I only own 3 1/2 ounces 2018, and 2 2019's and 1/2 oz 1999. The '99 looks like it has a better finish than the current year coins. I think lucked out when I ordered the 1/2 oz from Provident but I would stick to the whole ounce. Premiums are very high with platinum to begin with and when you start going fractional there are way bigger premiums you never get back. I have to stick to sovereign mints now as I am charged sales tax in CA unless I buy $1500 and they have to be monetized coins. I would rather have the generic bars but overall I am still very happy with my Platinum Eagles!

FthePolice

Silver Miner
I am considering trading 57 Silver Eagles for one Platinum Eagle with a dealer. Anyone have any input on this? I haven’t tracked Platinum the way I do silver and gold but it seems like a good time to me. My average cost for those Silver Eagles was around $17.40 and Platinum is at $970.

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Not sure I would love that trade. Why are you looking to trade? I might consider that for diversification but I don't think that Platinum has the superior price potential.

FthePolice

Silver Miner
Not sure I would love that trade. Why are you looking to trade? I might consider that for diversification but I don't think that Platinum has the superior price potential.
want to diversify some and think Platinum will get some legs. I basically got it for a little over melt.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
i tend to agree with voodoo overall .......i think both silver and pt have about similar potential....i own both....i have slowly been buying PT under 1k for a while....but i have plenty of Ag so it was just another vehicle .......Pt is harder to find buyers for at spot when sell time comes ...

hopefully you didnt loose much premium wise in the transaction....overall i see it as a horizontal move into a metal that has more future premium transactional risk in the future..

savvydon

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I think Voodoo and ttazz have this right. Do it if you want to but understand that you are kinda robbing Peter to pay Paul. Palladium, and to a lesser extent gold, on the other hand, have had strong recent moves and a stronger argument could be made for exchanging either of these out for Platinum right now.

BigJim#1-8

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I am considering trading 57 Silver Eagles for one Platinum Eagle with a dealer. Anyone have any input on this? I haven’t tracked Platinum the way I do silver and gold but it seems like a good time to me. My average cost for those Silver Eagles was around $17.40 and Platinum is at $970.
The Platinum to Silver Ratio is about 54/1 as of this post. The 57 SAE's would probably sell to a dealer for a buck over so $1063.00.
If you're happy that's all that matters.

If it were me, I wouldn't do the trade.

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I wish I had bought palladium when it was cheap so I could sell now. Of course, that also applies to lottery tickets and the stock market. But it seems to me that palladium and platinum are ripe for a big industry reversal. If I had palladium to trade for platinum (I don't), I would swap right now.

pimples

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Know what I think? Almost all platinum comes from S.Africa and I think they have forward sold years of future production. Look for shortages and manufacturers forced to buy Russian palladium . Bullish platinum.

negative1

Silver Member
Silver Miner
“Thoughts on platinum”

You asked for it. I stay away from it.

In my mind it’s just an expensive form of silver.

JMHO