• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Thousands of leaking barrels containing insecticide DDT found in dumping ground off LA coast

chieftain

Too much pawpcorn
Reaction score

the_shootist

I identify as already vaccinated so I'm good!
Midas Member
Sr Midas Supporter +++
Reaction score

Scorpio

Hunter of Chin Li's Boo Hoo Flu
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
"My primary concern is with the health of the ocean ecosystem."

Dr Terrill said he hoped that bringing the extent of the dumping ground to public attention could lead to proper management being put in place.

----------

and 50 years on we are now going to do something about this?

as if there is anything that can be done,

no different than landfills prior to landfill requirements being put in place,
all manner of cool stuff in the environment, all leaking and moving into ground water aquifers

sure, with modern tech and design, landfills are quite well set up to last for long periods of time with minimal damage,
but everything prior, and there is a lot of it, continues to expose the environment every day

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Somebody had to know about this dump 50 years ago...

I can see them sneaking quietly away, never saying anything lest they be the responsible ones for cleanup...

Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 4.10.08 PM.png

chieftain

Too much pawpcorn
Reaction score
8dx4.gif

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Wife got the movie Dark Waters and I watched it last night. Ever hear of Teflon? Amazing how widely used that poison was. According to the ending infomercial, it's estimated that 1% of the world's population isn't affected by it.

Buck

Trying Something Different!
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
ddt? wasn't that the stuff they were eating to prove how safe it was???

in fact, i read it was too effective and was curing malaria without anyone having to ingest quinine

so, it was banned to allow those pesky mosquitoes to continue to kill african babies

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Environmental problems are traditionally handled by burying and solving the problem for 50-100 years, after that its the next guys concern. Towns soaked in oil, nuke waste buried in mountains, chemical weapons for WW1 dumped in the ocean only to be dragged up by fishing nets...