• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Total Knee replacement info

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I'm on day 9 with mine. Rehab has been quite the ride so far and it ain't ending anytime soon
I am now in week 5 & the light at the end of the tunnel is NOT a locomotive.
My scar is barely visible. My range of motion is at the maximum, 135 degrees.
I am short just 2 degrees of a totally straight leg & almost totally pain free.
I have been walking without a cane for a week & driving for 4 days. If your right knee was replaced you may not be able to drive for 6 or 7 weeks.
Bottom line:
Do what the P.T. tells you to do. No short cuts, you are in a race with scar tissue & you must win.
I am very pleased with my results & I hope you do as well.
Here are my before & after X-Rays.

X-RAY 3 0F 4 - Copy.jpg KNEE 4.jpg

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Thanks man! Believe me, I'm motivated to accept nothing less than 100% recovery of motion. So far it's been a balance of pain managemnt with pushing myself. The PT isn't as hard as what has been coming after....the intense ache the night after. I've tried twice to reduce the pain meds and been sorry both times. That being said I'm now trying to spread them out rather than reduce the dosage. As you know, it
s been kind of a catch 22 where they tell you to work hard t PT but stay ahead of the pain with the meds. I lost full extension years ago and that's what the PT is concentrating on the most.

As you say its a race with scar tissue and its a race I need to win otherwise the whole exercise will be wasted.

Thanks for putting this together :2 thumbs up:

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Stay with as much med as you need to keep the pain tolerable, it will aid in healing. It takes a couple of months to develop a dependency. The only problem I had was constipation, but vit. C & Magnesium Citrate took care of it. Later aspirin or Tylenol will do well.
Feel free to ask any questions & I will answer to the best of my ability.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Yous guys are so kneedy!

Just curious what was wrong with the right knee? Bone on bone - no cartilage?

Looks like that on the xray on the right of knee...?

also, looks like they put a 'bumper' on the inside of the knee cap??

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Yous guys are so kneedy!

Hahahahahhahahaah, what a comedian !!

That is the LEFT knee. You are looking at my frontal view, so right is left & left is right, right ????

Yes, I have been bone on bone for 12 years with off & on swelling & pain. It was my right hip that brought on both the surgeries as it's pain was off the charts.

more X-Rays for you to laugh at. LOLOLOLOLOLLLLL
Remember left is right !!!
I still have the left hip to go. Then I think I will change my name to BIONIC TAEZZAR !!!
EXP0001 - Copy.jpg new hip.jpg

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Yous guys are so kneedy!

I had my right knee done vs T's left. Mine was needed because of removal of torn cartilage when I was 30 which I did playing softball. That left me with bone on bone in my right knee At the time they told me that I'd be a candidate for a knee replacement by the time I reached my 60's because they removed that cushion between the bones. I'm 63 and here we are. I'm relatively young to have a knee replacement. All other leg/hip joints are normal for an old 63 year old cuss.

I'll have to scan my before xrays (no after ones yet), my right knee was pretty much destroyed over time after the cartilage removal.

Hey T, you don't need to have the other knee done too, right? There seems to still be a nice gap there and it appears to be in decent shape from what I've seen

Last edited:

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Stay with as much med as you need to keep the pain tolerable, it will aid in healing. It takes a couple of months to develop a dependency. The only problem I had was constipation, but vit. C & Magnesium Citrate took care of it. Later aspirin or Tylenol will do well.
Feel free to ask any questions & I will answer to the best of my ability.
Copy that! I think the biggest mistake I'm making is trying to wean off the meds too quickly. It's resulting in some pretty uncomfortable nights. I'm learning :)

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Hahahahahhahahaah, what a comedian !!

at least you aren't bakers kneading dough...

I'm all here, no parts missing... but then I never really played sports much.

Started doing yoga about 6 months ago, but then stopped about 3 weeks back.

Somehow I bruised my right palm doing a 'side plank' position. It's still a bit tender today.

Even my knees were starting to complain - lots of kneeling and bending knees in yoga. Never had a problem before that.

So, it's back to exercising on the couch for me... the couch potato moves are working so far.

Went on a 3.5 mile walk with the wife yesterday. Usually 2 mi a day is what we shoot for. 3.5 was easier than last time we did it.

She's good for my health I'll say that much!!

Getting old ain't for sissies.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Walking is great excercise. The only lower body excercise I could do the past 5-8 years was the elliptical. I'm on my third machine in the last 5 years. I don't use mine for a clothes rack like a lot of people but when I'm in the market for one those are the people I look to buy from....still almost brand new and lots cheaper than retail.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I had my right knee done vs T's left. Mine was needed because of removal of torn cartilage when I was 30 which I did playing softball. That left me with bone on bone in my right knee At the time they told me that I'd be a candidate for a knee replacement by the time I reached my 60's because they removed that cushion between the bones. I'm 63 and here we are. I'm relatively young to have a knee replacement. All other leg/hip joints are normal for an old 63 year old cuss.

I'll have to scan my before xrays (no after ones yet), my right knee was pretty much destroyed over time after the cartilage removal.

Hey T, you don't need to have the other knee done too, right? There seems to still be a nice gap there and it appears to be in decent shape from what I've seen
YUP, right knee is OK for now, left hip is next. That's 3 outa 4 & I'm 75 Y.O.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Shoot, I am at 6 weeks, 4 days & I just finished 3 hours of blackberry pick'n & feel pretty good. This is a good exercise, as I have to watch my balance & I am putting full weight on my new knee. I am off all med's as of yesterday but I still need to ice my knee twice a day (it gets hot).
My scar is looking really good. Talk with your PT about massaging your scar area to loosen up your skin, so it wrinkles like your good knee .
If I figured right, you are coming up to week 4. Are you walking w/o a walker or cane? Are you riding your stationary bike for 10 minutes 3 times a day ?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Amazing!

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Shoot, I am at 6 weeks, 4 days & I just finished 3 hours of blackberry pick'n & feel pretty good. This is a good exercise, as I have to watch my balance & I am putting full weight on my new knee. I am off all med's as of yesterday but I still need to ice my knee twice a day (it gets hot).
My scar is looking really good. Talk with your PT about massaging your scar area to loosen up your skin, so it wrinkles like your good knee .
If I figured right, you are coming up to week 4. Are you walking w/o a walker or cane? Are you riding your stationary bike for 10 minutes 3 times a day ?
Sounds like you're doing great! It will be 3 weeks next Tuesday for me. Walking without a walker and cane for about a week now although I take the cane if I go outside. I finished home PT Thursday and started outpatient PT the next day (yesterday). The OP folks woke up a whole new set of muscular pain for me twhich I'm treating with icing and massage. Still on the pain meds and doing my exercise sets twice a day. Still pretty stiff but I walk around as often as I can and am still using a lot of ice regularly.

I've been looking for a deal on a stationary bike but haven't found one yet. I should have one nailed down by next week. I'll talk to the PT about massaging the scar area. The bandage has yet to come off yet so I've got a ways to go before I see an actual scar. Looking forward to getting off the meds as they make me too groggy for my liking.

Good to hear you're doing so great. Thanks for the update. You're making great progress!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Sounds like you're doing great! It will be 3 weeks next Tuesday for me. Walking without a walker and cane for about a week now although I take the cane if I go outside. I finished home PT Thursday and started outpatient PT the next day (yesterday). The OP folks woke up a whole new set of muscular pain for me twhich I'm treating with icing and massage. Still on the pain meds and doing my exercise sets twice a day. Still pretty stiff but I walk around as often as I can and am still using a lot of ice regularly.

I've been looking for a deal on a stationary bike but haven't found one yet. I should have one nailed down by next week. I'll talk to the PT about massaging the scar area. The bandage has yet to come off yet so I've got a ways to go before I see an actual scar. Looking forward to getting off the meds as they make me too groggy for my liking.

Good to hear you're doing so great. Thanks for the update. You're making great progress!
Totally incredible to me how fast recovery is for you guys. Keep up the good work.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Totally incredible to me how fast recovery is for you guys. Keep up the good work.
Thanks man. I like to blame my wild ranting posts here on the opiods. Once I'm off them in a few weeks I'm not sure what I'll blame but; I'll figure something out :)

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Thanks man. I like to blame my wild ranting posts here on the opiods. Once I'm off them in a few weeks I'm not sure what I'll blame but; I'll figure something out :)
Russians! :|

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter

Sounds like you are right on schedule. I wish you a fast recovery !:holding hands: :snowboard::exercise::blond:

I dumped my bandage at 3 weeks. Mine looked like a big "leach".
1st pic is last week, the cross lines are wrinkles, not a scar.
2nd pic is at second week, I don't know what lines signify, but they left no scar.
3rd pic is what I call the "leach", the bandage, with just a drop of blood showing through.
KNEE SCAR AT 5 WEEKS.JPG

FIRST VIEW.jpg

Knee Bandage.JPG

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Yes Sir, when done right, this is an amazing procedure. In total, I will have 1 knee & 2 hips replaced & I am feeling damned good about it all.

If you can handle it, here is a video of a total knee replacement.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Sounds like you are right on schedule. I wish you a fast recovery !:holding hands::snowboard::exercise::blond:

I dumped my bandage at 3 weeks. Mine looked like a big "leach".
1st pic is last week, the cross lines are wrinkles, not a scar.
2nd pic is at second week, I don't know what lines signify, but they left no scar.
3rd pic is what I call the "leach", the bandage, with just a drop of blood showing through.
View attachment 109074

View attachment 109075

View attachment 109077
Showoff! LOL,

Here's mine as of last Weds.

newknee1.jpg

newknne 2.jpg

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Nice gams guys. I'm a little more than 5 years out from my second total knee replacement. Doc gives me at least another 10 years if I don't do something stupid.

Cheers fellas :beer:

SC
I'm thinking about reviving my softball career. Those old bastards in the 60 and over league will never see me coming :)

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Good luck. My doc says bike riding, walking, swimming only. No running or jumping.

SC
standing on it for more than 20 minutes will be an improvement for me. Glad to see you're doing well.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Did it work?

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

^updated^

found a way in
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I had left knee replacement 2013 early Dec. Surgery was on a Tuesday, I left the hospital Thursday afternoon. Weather took a drastic change in the 2 days I was in the hospital. Weather forecasters said lower 20's but temp dropped to 5f low and high for the next 3 days.

I came home to a freezing cold home. Heat was off naturally, when I left the house 2 days earlier . I had a gas space heater in the living room and an electric space heater to move to the bathroom if needed .

When I returned, the bath room water pipes were frozen. It was cold and when I turned on the heat, the electric space heater conked out. Then, when I laid down, I noticed my electric blanket no longer worked either.

I drove out to Walmart the next/3rd day after my left knee replacement. I left my crutch in the car. I used a Shopping cart as a walker and did find an electric space heater to buy for my bathroom. I didn't like their selection of electric blankets so I then drove a couple of miles to Target and found one to buy. I used the shopping cart there again as a walker.

Then I drove home and didn't have to drive again until the next day to the hospital to check my blood.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I had left knee replacement 2013 early Dec. Surgery was on a Tuesday, I left the hospital Thursday afternoon. Weather took a drastic change in the 2 days I was in the hospital. Weather forecasters said lower 20's but temp dropped to 5f low and high for the next 3 days.

I came home to a freezing cold home. Heat was off naturally, when I left the house 2 days earlier . I had a gas space heater in the living room and an electric space heater to move to the bathroom if needed .

When I returned, the bath room water pipes were frozen. It was cold and when I turned on the heat, the electric space heater conked out. Then, when I laid down, I noticed my electric blanket no longer worked either.

I drove out to Walmart the next/3rd day after my left knee replacement. I left my crutch in the car. I used a Shopping cart as a walker and did find an electric space heater to buy for my bathroom. I didn't like their selection of electric blankets so I then drove a couple of miles to Target and found one to buy. I used the shopping cart there again as a walker.

Then I drove home and didn't have to drive again until the next day to the hospital to check my blood.
You sir are one tough bastard. From someone who knows what you must have went through, my hat is off to you in respect.

Last edited:

^updated^

found a way in
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
You sir are one tough bastard. My hat is off to you in respect sir.
I like to think so. I had my right knee replaced a couple of years later, 2015. No immediate trips to the grocery store afterwards, but I took a short test drive the night I got out, 2 days after surgery. I entered my car from the passenger seat. I left my right leg in the passenger area and drove with my left foot.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I like to think so. I had my right knee replaced a couple of years later, 2015. No immediate trips to the grocery store afterwards, but I took a short test drive the night I got out, 2 days after surgery. I entered my car from the passenger seat. I left my right leg in the passenger area and drove with my left foot.
Don't push it, that was dumb!:dduck:

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
.... drive the night I got out, 2 days after surgery. I entered my car from the passenger seat. I left my right leg in the passenger area and drove with my left foot.
Yep, I done a similar thing decades ago when I had a surgically repaired broken fibula. I drove my girlfriend at the time to a Beach Boys concert at U.Dayton Arena a week later. My leg was on her side of the drive shaft hump. Inside the arena Hit some stairs to go DOWN to our seats and "surfed" the steps in a tennis shoe on my good foot when I slipped on something.
Dropped the crutch, One hand on the guard rail and bumpity-bump-bump-bump to the landing. My gal and those close by that seen the incident were amazed I stayed up. Hell, I couldn't do that on level ground on a skateboard with two good feet/legs.
AND
Scored some extra TLC after the concert. ;-) Great gal, Hope she has a great life. Good times. Foolish times, but Good times.

Last edited:

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter