• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Trust in Justin?

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Figured I'd open somewhere to discuss the Hair to the Throne of Canuckistan and how the next 4 years will affect the second largest country in the world. Like him or not, liked his father or not ... he's the legal guardian of the country until he's voted out .. so let's keep it civil. Contrary to common belief, I'd love to discover that he's a great leader and statesman, and for the country to be in better shape 4 years from now. Convince me.

I'll open the floor with ... the GST.

OTTAWA -- The federal finance minister is seeking to clarify the new Liberal government's position on the GST.

Bill Morneau was asked directly Tuesday whether he has considered raising the goods and services tax as a way to generate more government revenue.

"You know, one of the things that I'm absolutely sure of is that we should go through our budget process in order to figure out where we're going to get to," Morneau told reporters in Ottawa in response to the question.

"In my estimation, we're going to hear a lot of things from not only my colleagues around the table, but from Canadians about what we should be doing from a budget standpoint. And at the end of that, we'll present to Canadians a plan for the next year and give them a sense of what's going to happen over the next five years.

"I'm not at this stage considering any tax issues that haven't been already put in our campaign platform."

After his remarks were published, Morneau later tweeted: "Contrary to misleading headlines, we are not considering changes to the GST."

In the coming weeks, the government will hold consultations to help it prepare for the federal budget. Morneau has also said the government plans to create an advisory council made up of experts from Canada and abroad that will help Ottawa brainstorm on how best to kick-start economic growth.

The previous Conservative government lowered the GST by two percentage points during its decade in office -- a move that eliminated about $14 billion in annual revenues.

The Harper Tories chopped a percentage point in 2006 to drop the GST to six per cent. They trimmed off another point two years later.

Most economists opposed the Conservative move to slash the GST, which was widely viewed as more of a popular political decision rather than a solid economic one.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has promised in the past not to increase the GST.

His Liberals, however, are currently staring at considerable fiscal hurdles, as they look to follow through on pricey election pledges.

The party has already backed away from its election vow to cap annual deficits at $10 billion over the next two years, blaming the sluggish economy and a weaker-than-expected fiscal situation they say they inherited from the Tories.

Meanwhile, the party has started highlighting the importance of fulfilling another fiscal goal from its platform, one that's lesser known but easier to meet: lowering the debt-to-GDP ratio.

The government has promised to keep the ratio, which represents a government's capacity to pay back debt, on a downward track every year until the next election. Ottawa calculates the ratio by dividing total federal debt by the overall size of the economy, as measured by nominal GDP.

Economists say that by focusing on debt-to-GDP, the Liberals could still lower the ratio even if they run annual deficits of up to $25 billion in the coming years -- as long as the economy records decent growth.

Morneau has also said that along with the debt-to-GDP vow, the government will stick with its other "fiscal anchor": balancing the federal books by the fourth year of its mandate.

Experts say balancing the budget in four years will be a much tougher task for the government than reducing the debt-to-GDP ratio.

Earlier this month, parliamentary budget office projections suggested the government could be on track to run annual deficits up to $15 billion once the Liberals' costed, big-ticket election vows are included in calculations. On top of that, the party has also made several uncosted promises.

The Liberals also recently conceded their new tax package -- which raises taxes on the highest earners and lowers the rate on the middle tax bracket -- will actually drain more than $1 billion net from the treasury each year. Initially, the party had projected that the plan would be revenue neutral.
source

Malus

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Too early to tell what he is. The only thing really noticeable is the increase in numbers of refugees. I await his plan for all those expensive promises. Didn't he proclaim that money really wasn't an issue and he'd borrow whatever it took?

"The Liberal leader has vowed to inject billions of dollars into repairing roads, building bridges and improving waste water treatment plants across the country, among other projects — all commitments that could cement big profits for the bricks-and-mortar industry."

"Economists said Trudeau’s plan, which would see the government borrow money by selling bonds, will push much needed fiscal stimulus into Canada’s lagging economy, at least in the near term."

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/bus...aders-mull-impact-of-massive-liberal-victory/

Sounds like a whole lot of future debt to me. Infrastructure that will not pay for itself, when the world economy is going down the shitter. These "highway/bridge/transportation" projects are intended for commercial traffic as they sell Canada off to the highest bidder. Even though they continue to lie to the taxpayer, telling them its for us. Bullshit! Where I live they just announced the next massive project, a ten lane "toll" bridge to replace an existing tunnel. Already upped the price to 3.5 billion, which I'm sure will double by the time its completed. Which then narrows down our area to become a toll road system (media conversations already covering how it'll all fold open). So, our glorious leader is gonna drive Canada further into debt, building infrastructure for his corporate masters by borrowing from the zionist bankers, while at the same time increasing the number of "refugees" into a country that has a rising poverty number (which includes the kids) and can't seem to wrap their heads on how to fix it. So, its logical to bring all these welfare cases and support them too? I just can't wait for what this asshat will do next. Maybe, go after our guns?

Ishkabibble

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Does it matter who takes the helm after the Titanic hits the berg? Canada's trajectory is set; commodities are the bulk of the Canadian economy and their reinflation will take years. It'll be worldwide demand recovery that brings Canada back. Politicians will take credit, but they have as much positive influence as a fart in the wind.

Justin will go into the annals of history as another J Edgar Hoover. And thanks to little but timing, his successor will be hailed as a champion.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Why do they need to raise the GST? Seems they could do more with less government.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
My mother said,"If you ain't got nothing good to say ....", nough said.

370H55V 0773H

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I'll open the floor with ... the GST.
I hear that one of his electoral promises was to double immigration. The country already has the largest per capita immigration in the Western world. At $27 to $35 billion in 2014 that would mean $54 to $70 billion....

So, wouldn't some kind of moratorium fix the debt-to-GDP in a jiffy? :dontknow:

Wouldn't that make GST jigging look like a fart in the wind? :dontknow:

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Members of Parliament and senators will get a $3,000 increase Friday in their base salary, while cabinet ministers and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will receive a larger raise – at a time when Canadians are struggling with stagnant wages and rising unemployment.

The wage hike of 1.8% for MPs and 2.1% for senators is about four times what the federal government has offered public sector unions and executives in the federal public service.

The 338 MPs will see their salaries rise to $170,400 from $167,400, while Trudeau — who gets another $170,400 as PM — now will make $340,800, an increase of $6,000.

Cabinet ministers, interim Opposition leader Rona Ambrose and House Speaker Geoff Regan (who get an extra $81,500 for their roles) will get a $4,400 bump to $251,900.

Senators, who by federal law are required to be paid $25,000 less than MPs, will make $145,400, up from $142,400.

NDP Leader Tom Mulcair, parliamentary secretaries, party whips, chairs of House of Commons committees, and a handful of other MPs also will get small salary increases for their additional duties, on top of their base pay hike.

The total cost of the salary increase for MPs is just over $1 million for the 2016-17 fiscal year, which starts Friday.

“I think it’s very poor form considering they are running a $29-billion deficit that they can’t even show some leadership by tightening their own belts, and what signal will it send to the public sector unions when it comes time to negotiate?” said Aaron Wudrick, federal director of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation.

“I don’t think most Canadians have much sympathy for the notion that MPs need a pay hike, considering they already earn far more than the average Canadian.”
No real surprise there. He knows his priorities.
http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/Canada/2016/03/31/22619151.html

Joseph

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Didn't see this coming ... *facepalm*

Federal Climate Change Minister Catherine McKenna finally admitted the painfully obvious on Sunday.

She acknowledged the Trudeau Liberals are not going to toughen Stephen Harper’s targets for reducing industrial greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions linked to climate change.

This means that after years spent in opposition attacking as inadequate Harper’s targets of lowering GHG emissions to 17% below 2005 levels by 2020, and to 30% by 2030, the Liberals are adopting them.

McKenna herself said after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau appointed her climate change minister following last year’s election that Harper’s targets were a “floor” on which the Liberals wanted to improve.

In conceding the Conservative floor has now become the Liberal ceiling in an interview with Evan Solomon on CTV’s Question Period, McKenna blamed the Harper government for doing nothing to implement its targets for the 10 years it was in power, describing them as “fake.”

In the real world, when it comes to fake targets on climate change, the Liberals are the masters.

They’ve been faking it for almost a quarter century.

In the 1993 election, former Liberal prime minister Jean Chretien promised to reduce Canada’s GHG emissions to 20% below 1988 levels by 2005.

Had Chretien not broken that promise by doing nothing to reduce emissions, Canada today would be a global leader on this issue.

Subsequently, Chretien promised in 1997 under the UN’s Kyoto accord to reduce Canada’s emissions by a far less ambitious average of 6% below 1990 levels, between 2008 and 2012.

But since Chretien did nothing to implement that target either, by the time his successor, Paul Martin, lost power to the Conservatives in 2006, Canada’s emissions were 30% over its Kyoto target.

Indeed, top Chretien aide Eddie Goldenberg admitted in 2007 the Liberals knew they couldn’t meet their Kyoto target when they agreed to it.

When Harper inherited this mess from the Liberals in 2006, he would have had to bankrupt the Canadian economy to meet Chretien’s Kyoto target by 2012.

So he followed in Chretien’s footsteps. He announced a less ambitious reduction target, then did nothing to implement it.

But this is ancient history.

What is the Trudeau government going to do now?

The answer is more photo-ops, more meetings and no action.

The Liberals now say Trudeau will ratify the Paris climate treaty he agreed to last December this fall, before he develops a national climate change strategy, including a national carbon price, ostensibly in co-operation with the provinces.

In the real world, ratifying the Paris treaty means nothing.

It contains no binding targets for reducing global GHG emissions and no timelines, deadlines or penalties for failure to comply.

Countries ratifying the deal have to report their voluntary targets to the United Nations and progress in reaching them, but there is no penalty for not doing so.

Climate scientist James Hansen, the father of man-made climate change theory, has rightly described the Paris treaty as a fraud.

Which is a perfect description for the Liberal plan.
http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/Canada/2016/09/18/22667994.html

Malus

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Now, they want to rescind the next to nothing that Harper did to us firearms owners. See America, our leaders lie and use the same bulls*t reasoning as yours do. Its a small world and your not the only ones in it......

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...-10th-anniversary-of-dawson-college-shootings

We have a full blast disarmament program as well. Instead of "Canada, who's that or who cares?", maybe it should be, "brother/sister, we've got a problem". Otherwise, America is gonna find itself all alone in a very big world.....

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
The sad thing that the Snowflakes simply will not get is .... their fear of firearms is what gives them so much power. Dawson would have been a far smaller incident if all those 'educated' children hadn't spent so much of their time learning fear. Half a dozen charge the attacker, he's going down. Afraid to be shot? HE'S GOING TO SHOOT YOU ANYHOW!!! Cowering under a desk doesn't make the boogey man go away. This is predictably what happens when you teach children not to stand up to bullies ... they learn not to stand up to bullies.

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
And there we have what we all knew was coming. A new natural gas deal ... and $10/ton carbon tax. Just in time for heating season. All the pretend, 'we care about the environment' .... nothing more than an excuse to get his hand deeper into our pockets. Thanks to everyone who was stupid enough to help put this assclown in office.

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
First time I've seen this thread. Glad I found it. Regardless of the jabs my fellows south of the Great White North threw, I find it interesting. Very rarely do we get news from up north but, it's probably because the Kardashians are so important. Thanks to you Canucks who are populating this thread, I'll pay better attention to it in the future.

P.S. I have yet to meet a Canadian I didn't like but I'm sure there are assholes there as well.

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Trudeau's plan for escalating carbon price sparks battle over bottom line

OTTAWA — The Liberal government’s decision to impose a national floor price on carbon emissions dominated the House of Commons on Tuesday, with critics saying the plan punishes consumers while doing little to combat climate change.

All but lost in the immediate, breathless reaction was the reality that the plan announced a day earlier by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau won’t have much impact, if any, on 87 per cent of Canadians — or their carbon footprint — for the next four years.

That’s because the rising floor price on CO2 emissions laid out in the federal Liberal plan starts at $10 per tonne and takes until 2021 to catch up with and surpass existing carbon taxes already imposed by British Columbia and Alberta.

And the Trudeau model won’t affect Ontario and Quebec’s existing cap-and-trade carbon market until it can be established that carbon taxes are driving down emissions elsewhere in the country faster than their market caps are already doing. That tricky piece of equivalency has yet to be sorted out.

A group of 22 high-profile business and civil leaders endorsed the plan Tuesday, saying Canada is simply pricing emissions “as most of the world’s biggest economies are doing.”

The Smart Prosperity group, which includes executives from Shell Canada, Unilever Canada, Loblaw and major insurance and banking companies, said the plan allows for “regionally tailored paths.”

“By starting slowly and ramping up over five years, it gives businesses and households time to adjust and plan for lowering their carbon footprints.”

The plan’s cautious approach, however, is being completely overshadowed by Trudeau’s audacious communications gambit.

The prime minister announced the national floor price Monday in the Commons just as federal, provincial and territorial ministers were meeting in Montreal to negotiate a pan-Canadian carbon plan.

Three provincial ministers left the Montreal meeting early to protest the high-handed federal move, and opposition parties remained in high dudgeon Tuesday.

Conservative critic Denis Lebel accused Trudeau of creating more federal-provincial tension in less than a year in power than the previous Conservatives did in a decade. Tory MP Ed Fast said the prime minister had “pulled the rug out from under them by announcing a new, massive, billion-dollar carbon tax grab on Canadians.” Conservative MP Lisa Raitt painted a harrowing portrait of starving grannies freezing in the dark.

NDP Leader Tom Mulcair, meanwhile, lambasted the plan’s lack of ambition, asking what Trudeau will tell “the next generation when this betrayal has made climate change worse and jeopardized their future on this planet?”

Faced with such discordant assessments, the debate naturally landed on the bottom line: What’s it going to cost me?

The Canadian Taxpayers Federation and Brad Wall’s governing Saskatchewan Party each offered up estimates for the annual cost to an average family, starting at $1,250 a year and topping out at more than $2,500.

But such estimates are meaningless, since provincial governments have been repeatedly told by Ottawa that the carbon tax revenues are theirs to use as they see fit — including to cut income, sales or business taxes.

Federal Environment Minister Catherine McKenna said it is up to provincial premiers to decide how those revenues should be recycled.

“You determine the system that makes sense,” McKenna said outside the House.

“You determine how to deal with, for example, agriculture industry, and you determine what should happen with the revenues. You can return the revenues as a tax cut to small business and consumers. You can invest in innovation. You can invest in the agriculture sector. That’s not for the federal government (to decide).”

In an interview, Fast — a B.C. Conservative — lauded the way Christy Clark’s B.C. Liberal government has used carbon taxes to cut income and other taxes but said he’s not confident every other province will follow suit.

“The problem is that not all of the provinces are committed to acting responsibly,” he said, pointing to Ontario’s Liberal government and its political problems over skyrocketing electricity prices.

“What I’m saying is the announcement that Justin Trudeau made (Monday) is going to give governments across the country — the provinces and territories — more disposable income to spend on their political priorities.”
Just(in) more of the same. Their hand, our pocket.

Highlight reel
The Canadian Taxpayers Federation and Brad Wall’s governing Saskatchewan Party each offered up estimates for the annual cost to an average family, starting at $1,250 a year and topping out at more than $2,500.

But such estimates are meaningless, since provincial governments have been repeatedly told by Ottawa that the carbon tax revenues are theirs to use as they see fit — including to cut income, sales or business taxes.

Federal Environment Minister Catherine McKenna said it is up to provincial premiers to decide how those revenues should be recycled.

So, they steal money from us with one hand, take their cut for doing it, then promise to give it back with the other hand. Somehow I doubt that money will make it's way anywhere 'cept their friends' pockets.

Last edited:

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter

bulloncoins

Silver Member
Silver Miner
He is a globalist puppet hand picked to run the North American Union part of the NWO if they can manage to get the guns out of the American's hands peacefully. Good Luck with that.

He is where he was born and raised to be...

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Canada just signed an extensive trade deal with the EU last week. That means more refugees and global warming tax.

Agavegirl1

Silver Miner
Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
He is a globalist puppet hand picked to run the North American Union part of the NWO if they can manage to get the guns out of the American's hands peacefully. Good Luck with that.

He is where he was born and raised to be...
Sounds about right. Being not too far fr om Canada I pay attention.

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Westjet just announced that they're going to be hit with at least $60 million in carbon tax .. and every penny of it will be put on the ticket price.

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Latest on order:

Justin Trudeau’s agenda hangs in a delicate balance.

The world is a very different place than it was only a year ago. The catchphrases are no longer “sunny ways” and “because it’s 2015”. They’re now “drain the swamp” and “lock her up.”

Canada’s Liberal prime minister went from zero to hero quickly. Only a couple of years ago he was the leader of the third party, armed with little more than a good name and a woefully slim resume. Then he was suddenly sitting at the big kids table at G20 meetings with the likes of Barack Obama and Angela Merkel. Things couldn’t have seemed rosier.

He won an astonishing majority mandate in 2015, scoring more seats than even the most optimistic Liberal strategists expected. It probably seemed, in those early days, that all the pieces were lining up for Trudeau to successfully execute an agenda that he himself had described as the most progressive on offer across the land.

Then came Brexit. Then Trump. And now Merkel is set to either lose office or pivot to the right to keep her job as chancellor. Trudeau entered the globalist elite circle just as it was on the way out. He’s like the people who buy the top season’s fashions on deep discount, not realizing they've only got a couple weeks to wear them before they go out of style.

Obama has passed the torch to Trudeau to continue on as the progressive agenda’s new commander-in-chief. That’s some tall order to fill. Obama was the leader of the free world - even if it’s a post he intentionally diminished while holding it - and had a massive military arsenal at his disposal. Trudeau just has selfies and goodwill.

Can he keep the progressive agenda afloat on the world stage? Can he keep it going here at home? What does this even mean in this new era?

Don’t think the PM is oblivious to all of this. He’s spoken more than once about the need to deal with the frustrations regular people are voicing around the world. He knows people feel like the system isn’t working for them. So he’s got some sort of a finger on the pulse in an intellectual sense. But - and this is the big question as the calendar turns to 2017 - does he know how to turn this into meaningful action?

Ontario and Alberta are set to roll out carbon initiatives that will without a doubt negatively impact regular people. Prices will go up, all in the name of untested theories peddled by climate evangelists who never put their ideas to the electorate. It’s already made people angry and it will only get worse.

Trudeau supports this ideology. He’s mandating every province do something similar. And there’s nothing that will get regular people riled up and ready to toss the bums out than seeing more money taken out of their pocketbooks in the name of some elitist agenda that they never had a say in.

Likewise with terrorism. Tragically, the sort of attacks we saw this year in Germany and France are the new normal. Especially for the next year or two, as something of a terrorist diaspora unfolds as jihadists trickle out of their crumbling stronghold in Mosul.

Canadians will ask questions about our vetting of refugees. They’ll want to know more about integration efforts. Will the political class ridicule them for daring to ask questions they have every right to pose?

Scoffing at average people’s legitimate concerns is a dangerous game that’s become too common.

The balancing act is going to be a much bigger challenge for Trudeau next year.
http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/Canada/2016/12/22/22692048.html

shamash

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
As a resident of BC, I can't see how this puppet will do anything different the last string of puppets. There isn't a government, at any level, anywhere in Canada who would eliminate deficit spending or even consider paying off the debt(s). The majority of Canadians would be quite snowflakishly (maybe not a word :) upset if social program spending was to be reduced. People just don't seem to see or care about the connection between increasing property taxes, income taxes, user fees etc. and social spending vs. increased deficit spending and a ballooning debt...not to mention future pension obligations, etc.

I can't see anything changing except for more financial loads on each of us....good thing governments have colluded via central banks to lower interest rates to zip...have to kick that can down the road as long as possible I guess (revolution is a bad word, lol).

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Justin Trudeau's cabinet is 'full of incompetent and mediocre leaders': Kevin O'Leary

Aly Thomson, THE CANADIAN PRESS

Mar 8, 2017
, Last Updated: 6:47 PM ET

Conservative leadership hopeful Kevin O’Leary says the prime minister has ended up with a mediocre cabinet because he was more concerned about diversity than competence.

O’Leary said he believes diversity and gender parity is important in government, but if elected, he would balance that diversity with competence.

The businessman-turned-reality-TV-star said Justin Trudeau prioritized diversity over who was most qualified for the job.

“Trudeau made a mistake with that mandate. He talked about diversity, diversity, diversity and he never used the word competence,” said O’Leary in a phone interview with The Canadian Press.

“He has built up a caucus and a cabinet full of incompetent and mediocre leaders because he only listened to the siren call of diversity without even looking at competence.”

In his first cabinet of 30 ministers, Trudeau said he appointed an equal number of men and women “because it’s 2015.”

On Wednesday — International Women’s Day — Trudeau touted his cabinet’s diversity in the House of Commons in an address to young women participating in Daughters of the Vote, a program that promotes female participation in politics.

“We had undertaken to have equal representation of men and women in our cabinet and we held true to this promise. When I was asked why we had decided to proceed this way, I said we were in 2015, and now 2017. But there’s more to be said than that,” said Trudeau, speaking in French.

“After our group was formed, the decision to name as many ministers who were women as men was criticized. Pundits and people who were commenting on the Internet would repeat that merit should be the reason for choice, not being a woman. Well, I can assure you that merit was the basis of our choice.”

In his interview, O’Leary noted that “not some, but all” of his returns in the private sector have come from companies run or owned by women.

“Women do a better job in risk management in private sector. They do a better job of time allocation... They do a better job in setting goals. They achieve their goals over 90 per cent of the time. So, of course I’m going to bring women into work in government,” said O’Leary in the interview on Tuesday.

“I don’t have a problem bringing women into large files. I want competence.”

O’Leary, one of the perceived frontrunners in the crowded Conservative leadership race, said he’d be happy with a cabinet that’s 70 per cent women so long as they were competent.

O’Leary’s past has come under scrutiny since announcing his candidacy, notably an incident in which he touched the buttocks of a woman who was appearing on CBC’s Dragons Den.

But O’Leary said he doesn’t think that will deter women from supporting him.

“I know Canadians know the difference between reality TV and policy,” said O’Leary, who was on his way to campaign in London, Ont.

“You can ask any of the women I’ve invested in how I’ve been as an investor or a chairman or providing capital. I’m very proud of my track record and I’d put it up against Trudeau’s any day of the week.”
http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/Canada/2017/03/08/22709218.html

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/Canada/2017/04/18/22718769.html

I said I'd give him the time to prove himself ... well, the proof is in the pudding. Same damn recipe as ever.

Feds will make millions in GST off Alberta's carbon tax, despite 'revenue neutral' claims

Catherine McKenna, Federal Minister of Environment and Climate Change, speaks at the CanWEA conference in Calgary, Alta., Wednesday, Nov. 2, 2016.THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

Mia Rabson, THE CANADIAN PRESS

Apr 19, 2017
, Last Updated: 9:46 AM ET

OTTAWA — The federal government stands to raise as much as $280 million in revenue off provincial carbon taxes in Alberta and B.C. in the next two years despite claims carbon taxes would be revenue neutral for Ottawa.

Both Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Environment Minister Catherine McKenna have long insisted Ottawa would collect no revenue from the carbon price the federal government is requiring the provinces and territories impose by 2018.

However, a new report from the Library of Parliament shows federal coffers stand to benefit financially when the five per cent GST is applied on top of carbon taxes built into the prices of goods and services such as gasoline or utilities.

In April 2016, the Canada Revenue Agency said provincial carbon taxes would be subject to GST. Warawa asked the library to find out how much Ottawa stood to gain as he prepared a private members’ bill to reverse the CRA’s decision.

Last week, the answer came back: as much as $130 million this year and $150 million next year in Alberta and B.C., the two provinces where carbon taxes are already in place.

Those numbers represent five per cent each of the annual cost of the carbon taxes in those provinces: $1.3 billion in B.C. per year, and in Alberta, $1.3 billion in 2017-18 and $1.7 billion in 2018-19, an average of $1.5 billion.

“That’s where the federal government suddenly gets rich off Canadians,” said B.C. Conservative MP Mark Warawa, who requested the report.

A spokesman for Finance Minister Bill Morneau called the Library of Parliament and subsequent Conservative criticism “fun with numbers.”

“As we all know, the GST/HST is a broad-based tax on consumption in Canada, and it’s calculated on the final amount charged for a good or service,” said Daniel Lauzon. “That’s always been the case.”

Lauzon said revenues raised directly by the carbon tax would remain in the province where they are raised.

In Alberta and B.C., GST is applied on top of the carbon tax on direct consumer fossil-fuel purchases, such as gasoline, as well as on products where a business has added some or all of the cost of the carbon tax to the cost of their good or service.

How much GST is raised by taxing the carbon tax really depends on what businesses choose to pass on to consumers, the report notes.

A natural gas bill for a customer from FortisBC, for example, shows that on a gas bill of $59.14, the carbon tax was $10.28. The five per cent GST, which comes to $3.47, is charged on the total, including the carbon tax.

The GST revenues from carbon taxes could rise significantly once every province has implemented the carbon tax or cap and trade plan by next year. A minimum price of $10 per tonne of carbon is required in 2018, rising to $50 per tonne by 2022.

“The federal government will be reaping in billions of dollars by putting in a price on carbon,” Warawa said.

“So when the prime minister and the minister have said publicly and in the House that it will be revenue neutral for the federal government, that is not true.”

Ontario and Quebec both have a cap-and-trade system, which would also see some GST revenues raised when applied on higher costs of gasoline and other goods and services as a result of the cap and trade costs.

No other provinces or territories have yet unveiled their plans for meeting Trudeau’s requirement. All but Manitoba signed an agreement in December committing them to introducing a carbon price.
Isn't about the environment. Never was about the environment. Just one more (of many) money grab.

solarion

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Just like all the other major "save the environment" pushes...at the end of the day they all turn out to be money and/or power grabs.

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Oh FFS!!!!

Justin Trudeau gives men tip on using urinals at bar bathrooms
David Ingram,Yahoo Canada News 15 hours ago

PM Trudeau has some advice for men when it comes to flushing a urinal at a bar. Photo from The Canadian Press
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has some advice for men concerned with cleanliness after relieving themselves at their local watering hole.

Trudeau recently sat down to record his first ever podcast as Canada’s prime minister for the April 24th episode of The Jonah Keri Podcast. Hosted by Montreal-born sports journalist Jonah Keri, the podcast features the Liberal Party leader discussing a number of topics — some serious and others slightly more personal. In the hour-long interview, he touched on everything from U.S.-Canada relations, the global refugee crisis, and his love of the Montreal Expos.

But it was a parting piece of advice the prime minister gave regarding proper bathroom etiquette that will notably stand out for male listeners.

“One last question, which I do at the end of every podcast, is I always ask the guest for a life tip, a nugget of wisdom,” Keri said, before clarifying that the tip could be either very serious or very silly.

“So I throw it out to you. It’s one thing that is just, if I met you in a bar you’d say, ‘Oh yeah, this is what I’m about,'” Keris said.

Trudeau responded rather simply: “In a bar? Flush the urinal with your elbow.”

It’s some practical life advice, perfect for when there’s no automatic flush and the bar bathroom you find yourself in isn’t up to sanitary standards.

And it’s also a tip that Trudeau’s southern counterpart, U.S. President Donald Trump, would also likely be very happy to hear.

Not only has America’s commander-in-chief commented in the past that he’s a huge germaphobe, but he’s also made headlines in the past for his rather, shall we say, aggressive manner of shaking hands.

But Trump can now rest easy knowing Trudeau’s hands were definitely nowhere near the handle of a urinal before their now famous handshake.

Oh, and here’s one more piece of bathroom etiquette for both guys and gals: ALWAYS remember to wash your hands when you’re finished doing your business. But you already knew that, right?
https://ca.yahoo.com/news/pm-trudeau-gives-men-tip-using-urinals-bar-bathrooms-232646288.html

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
And of course ...

Trudeau says his dad went to bat for son Michel when he was charged with pot possession

CBC
April 24, 2017
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says that when his late brother Michel was charged with pot possession, his father's resources, legal network and connections helped make the charge "go away," and that he will introduce a "process" to help other Canadians with pot-related charges after recreational marijuana becomes legal.

Trudeau made the comments at a town hall hosted by Vice Media, during which the prime minister was asked by a member of the audience who had been charged with pot possession what Trudeau would say to someone in his position.

The prime minister answered the question by relating the story of how his late brother had been in a terrible car accident while driving back to Ontario from the West Coast.

When the police arrived at the scene, they found a couple of joints in the wreckage and charged Michel with possession of marijuana.

"When he got back home to Montreal, my dad said, 'OK, don't worry about it.' He reached out to his friends in the legal community, got the best possible lawyer and was very confident that he was going to be able to make those charges go away," Trudeau said.

"We were able to do that because we had resources, my dad had a couple of connections, and we were confident that my little brother wasn't going to be saddled with a criminal record for life."

Trudeau went on to say how people from minority communities, or without the finances or connections to make a pot possession charge go away are treated unfairly under the current system, when "Canada is supposed to be fair for everybody."

Asked what he would do to help people who currently have marijuana-related charges, Trudeau said he would "start a process where we try and look at how we are going to make things fairer for those folks and for you."

"In the meantime, our focus is on changing the legislation to fix what's broken, about a system that is hurting Canadians like you, and then we'll take steps to look at what we can do for those people who have criminal records for something that is no longer criminal."

Trudeau dismissed the idea of decriminalizing marijuana now, because, he said, currently the market for recreational cannabis is controlled by criminals, and making their actions legal would do nothing to restrict and control the distribution and profits from marijuana.

This issue of decriminalization is one that has been pushed by the federal NDP, which has been pressuring Trudeau to offer relief to Canadians who are being given criminal records for something that will soon be legal.

Trudeau reaffirmed again Monday that until recreational weed is legal, the law of the land stands
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/trudeau-says-dad-went-bat-003117379.html

So, his reasoning is that pot has to be legalized because poor people can't buy their way out of convictions. Stop the planet, I want to get off.

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
And more ignoring the rules when they don't suit

http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/Canada/2017/08/29/22748877.html
CALGARY - The federal NDP is calling for Calgary Skyview MP Darshan Kang to be ejected from the Liberal government caucus over sexual harassment allegations.

In a news release, NDP MP Sheila Malcolmson said Prime Minister Justin Trudeau should immediately dismiss Kang from the caucus.

"In the past, the prime minister has advocated a ‘zero tolerance’ approach to handling allegations of sexual harassment by Liberal MPs," said Malcolmson.

"Yet the prime minister has failed to act and refused to comment, even though the allegations against Mr. Kang surfaced weeks ago."

The Hill Times has reported that Kang is being investigated over allegations of sexual harassment and could face expulsion from the Liberal caucus.

Charles-Eric Lepine, spokesman for government whip Pablo Rodriguez, said in an email Monday that when the government became aware of the allegations it referred them to the House of Commons' chief human resources officer.

Asked at Monday's cabinet shuffle whether Kang would be expelled, Trudeau said Parliament has created formal processes to deal with allegations of misconduct by MPs since his government took office.

"I can assure you that our whip's office and the human resources of the Parliament of Canada are engaged as they must be in the process and I have no further comment at this time on the independent process," said Trudeau.

In a Toronto Star story Tuesday, the father of the alleged victim accused Kang of offering up to $100,000 to the woman for her not to come forward with the allegations.

As an opposition leader in 2014, Trudeau suspended two Liberal MPs from caucus over allegations of sexual misconduct. They were later permanently booted from the caucus.

Malcolmson said Kang should not be allowed to sit with the government caucus until the investigation is completed.

"That is exactly the approach the prime minister previously espoused and acted upon; I am at a loss as to why he has refused to take similar action in response to these allegations.”

southfork

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Change the thread name to NOT TO TRUST JUSTIN, HE FKD THE SHIT OUT OF CANADA