• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Twleve dudes are on my roof

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
What a racket. They are tearing my roof off to replace it. Sounds reminiscent of a 155 artillery battery barrage -- continual deep, sharp booming.

Not that my roof is leaking or anything, but the INSURANCE COMPANY :mad: does not care that my roof is warrantied for another six fargin years. I am impressed at the way they are doing it:

They've put huge drop cloths all around my house from the wall to about 15 feet out. And they've covered my whole driveway with them. BIG dump truck has been backed up my driveway to just 3 inches from my gutters... and the two strongest dudes of the lot have the job of using overfilled wheelbarrows to carry away the removed stuff across the back of the roof, around the side, and over to where the dump truck is.

This is costing me about $16.5K today. EEK. EEK. Oh, well... we've prepared for it.

Funny asides:

1. Three bunny rabbits and a peacock are watching all the activity. The peacock won't shut up, and it is amusing the workers.

2. Not one (other than the boss) can speak English. And he ain't that good at it.

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Might have been cheaper to switch insurance companies.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
No way, bro.

The deal we have with the insurance company is by far the best of the field.

They ALL do the "20 years and out" schtick, and this one has a large discount for renewing the roof.

It's just part of home maintenance expense we gotta cough up.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
No way, bro.

The deal we have with the insurance company is by far the best of the field.

They ALL do the "20 years and out" schtick, and this one has a large discount for renewing the roof.

It's just part of home maintenance expense we gotta cough up.
I've a client that has a house that was purchased for resale and is not occupied. When he picked up the insurance last year, they gave him a list of things they wanted replaced and the roof was one of them even though there is nothing wrong with it. he has not and does not intend to. I'm sure they will drop him like a 2 inch putt.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Absolutely.

Your client is making a fiduciary fuckup. That is, unless he is so loaded that he really would not be too bothered by a fire that flattened the place.

OOH OOH Update:

Bangin' and boomin'... You oughta see the way the tarpaper is put on. Jeez. My roof is honestly about 1/3 to 1/2 metal-covered. They're banging in these silver-dollar sized nail collars every three inches in every direction. Floriduh building codes are tough.

They have the neatest nail-guns -- and I cannot see how they can go for even an hour without nailing their finger to the roof. The air-powered guns are going at this speed (test it yourself):

Bang just the heels of your palms together as fast as you can ten times. That is the speed they are nailing at.

And the fun part: Right hand has gun, left hand holds about fifty discs. Left hand stays 1/10th second (if that) ahead of the gun placing the discs to be nailed. Going at that bump-palm speed for ten shots, then ten more...

Crikey.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
those guns have a nose safety and a trigger.....you can pull the trigger but it will not fire till the nose is depressed against something hard........

usually those guys will zip tie the trigger down so it will fire every time they push the nose against something hard .....till OSHA is around then they cut the zip ties off LOL

roofers do a amazing job of bouncing the gun along nailing as far as they can reach ...like you said sounds like a slow machinegun especially when you get 2 or 3 of them going

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I fergot to add another thing:

They pulled all the shingles off, then proceeded to nail the exposed wood every four inches.

Then they put the tarpaper on, and did the silver-dollar thing. Gotta be ten thousand new nails in my roof, and they ain't nearly done yet.

Geez. My house really is built well.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter

They pulled all the shingles off, then proceeded to nail the exposed wood every four inches.

Then they put the tarpaper on, and did the silver-dollar thing. Gotta be ten thousand new nails in my roof, and they ain't nearly done yet.

much better than 10 nails and some bubble gum to keep it down

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Unca, you shuda put on a metal roof, good for 75 years !
NEW CHIMNEY  15 JUN 05 016 - Copy.jpg

CONSTR. PIC'S 003.jpg
4 AUG 05  3 (Small).jpg

3RD & FINAL ROOF  FIASCO 008 (Small).jpg

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
not to rain on your roof....but those dozen that you mention...

be extra vigilant in the coming weeks/months. don't know how many stories i've read about workers returning to former worksites to commit some kind of crime, including theft, burglary, rape, murder...

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter

be extra vigilant in the coming weeks/months. don't know how many stories i've read about workers returning to former worksites to commit some kind of crime, including theft, burglary, rape, murder...
LOL.....just strap on your sidearm and walk around the jobsite muttering to yourself ....even mexicans understand crazy and armed

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
This is how they make more money having a dozen roofers doing the job in one day:
They only use half as many staples as they are supposed to and the beaners are all watching for the owner. When the owner comes out, they put the required amount of staples in each shingle, then as soon as he's out of sight, they go back to using 2 staples per shingle. It saves them a lot of time and money and allows them to bid lower than anyone else.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
You handsome devil. I thought I made it VERY clear that it don't make even ONE single flying shit: The Insurance companies of Floriduh (all of them) have the same actual wording.

"Change it inside of 20 years, or we nivver knew ya."''

A note from the Ins Co. regarding my bro TAEZZAR's pics --

"Loverly pic above noted and admired. Now, take your 1000-year roof the fuck off, and replace it by 20 years or you are not insured, muthafucka. Kapische?"

There It Is. Simplified.

WHOA!

I watched them pile their stuff and move off. Here comes the strawboss:

"We will be back on Monday. Even though we put five thousand additional nails into your wood roof covering, and ten fucking thousand fucking nails and medallions into your fucking tarpaper...

...we gonna come back on Monday and put your shingles on. And we will put SEVEN fucking nails into each fargin piece of shingle. That comes out to another seven thousand nails into your roof."

Wow.

I gotta say this: The 13-man (one of whom was a woman) crew worked like SEALs in Hell Week. Lunch hour, I discovered a dozen sleeping beaners in my garage. But after lunch, they worked like the slowest would be killed. With evil tools.

I have offered the whole bunch the following freebie: I have a trailer and a perfectly good (nearly new) wheelbarrow that can be acquired just by taking them. At my age, a wheelbarrow and work-trailer are not top drawer items. They are stored in my "little house" I built at the same time Chateau Snedeker was under construction.

But get this: The discipline with my beaner-buds was so strict, not one of them would even go LOOK at the trailer and wheelbarrow. Not until the strawboss OK'd it AFTER the day's work was completed.

This has been an interesting day, no shit.

Last edited:

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
This is how they make more money having a dozen roofers doing the job in one day:
They only use half as many staples as they are supposed to and the beaners are all watching for the owner. When the owner comes out, they put the required amount of staples in each shingle, then as soon as he's out of sight, they go back to using 2 staples per shingle. It saves them a lot of time and money and allows them to bid lower than anyone else.
Just not true.

The job they did could have been inspected by God Hisself.

They did everything required and more. Cut no corners. Could have used a video of them reworking the roof of Chateau Snedeker as an instruction manual. I took a photo for the helluvit of the incredible amount of nails they put in.

ZERO problems in that area. Mebbe things are looser in Montana (and they damn' well should be!) but in Floriduh, the quickest way to go out of bidness is to fail the inspection. Oh yeah. That is part of the deal.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
About 10 year ago I decked and papered a 17 square roof. Then I gazed upon the shingles (then sitting on the ground after I had unloaded and stacked from the pickup used to procure).

I then looked up 15 feet of ladder that was needed to tote them squares to the jobsite.

I called some Mexicans to finish!

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
You handsome devil. I thought I made it VERY clear that it don't make even ONE single flying shit: The Insurance companies of Floriduh (all of them) have the same actual wording.
Thank you, sir, for the nice compliment, I didn't even know that you noticed !!! :holding hands:

COLLUSION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fucking Floriduhh dirty ins co's. Metal roofs let the snow slide down really well, isn't this important in Floriduhh ?
Seriously, metal roofs are a great fire barrier & last 4 times longer than any other AND they don't rot.
Obviously the ins. co's & the roofer's have a "thing" going !!! As usual, the homeowner pays the freight !!

OK, on the serious. Even with a metal roof & a huge clean, clear area, our FUCKING ins. co's TRIPLED our rate after a near by forest fire. They did not give a flying fuck about my metal roof, nor my huge defensible area around my home (required by law).
Does Pelosi & Schitmer own or have stock in ins. co's ??? :don't    know2::rage 1

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
At this point in time, bro... the insurance companies have all the artillery.

There It Is.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Unfuckingfortunately !!!!

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
OH WAIT!!!! OH WAIT!!!!

I fergot to mention the high point of the afternoon.

I'm out in my front yard, watching the team working like an Indy Pit Crew...

...and a fargin Police Cruiser pulls into my driveway. TINS. :oops:

So I walked over to the car and recognized the cop (he is one of the renegades that likes to fire my cannon on Independence Day).

"Howdy, ya handsome beast! Wassup?" sez I.

"I got a 911 call to this address, Waltie. WTF? Any problems?"

"Shit no, bro. Wasn't me. Gots no prob here."

Ossifer (lookin at my huge crew of beaners): "It musta been one of your beaners ass-dialed 911"

Me: "These guys would probably take a broken leg before calling The Man. Hadda be an accident."

Ossifer: "You right about that. Oh, well. I'll cross this one off." :don't know:

So we took a few minutes off of official (hey, that's 8 o's and f's in three little words) bidness. He got out of the cruiser, since I had half a loaf of bread in my hand. We went over to the fish pond where the tame fishies are, and fed them the bread. The giant soft-shell Floriduh turtle came out of the water to take a slice of bread outa my hand. The cop thought that was tres kewl.

He liked to shit when Fancy Pants (the peacock) came over to be hand-fed some bread. I cojoled FP to take a piece from the cop. He was delighted.

Another wild-ass day in Chateau Sneakydicker. I fuggin love this place.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Congratulations on working a bunch of illegal aliens.

I guess as long as you saved a few bucks......well, thats all that matters.

:2 thumbs up:

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
OH WAIT!!!! OH WAIT!!!!

I fergot to mention the high point of the afternoon.

I'm out in my front yard, watching the team working like an Indy Pit Crew...

...and a fargin Police Cruiser pulls into my driveway. TINS. :oops:

So I walked over to the car and recognized the cop (he is one of the renegades that likes to fire my cannon on Independence Day).

"Howdy, ya handsome beast! Wassup?" sez I.

"I got a 911 call to this address, Waltie. WTF? Any problems?"

"Shit no, bro. Wasn't me. Gots no prob here."

Ossifer (lookin at my huge crew of beaners): "It musta been one of your beaners ass-dialed 911"

Me: "These guys would probably take a broken leg before calling The Man. Hadda be an accident."

Ossifer: "You right about that. Oh, well. I'll cross this one off." :don't know:

So we took a few minutes off of official (hey, that's 8 o's and f's in three little words) bidness. He got out of the cruiser, since I had half a loaf of bread in my hand. We went over to the fish pond where the tame fishies are, and fed them the bread. The giant soft-shell Floriduh turtle came out of the water to take a slice of bread outa my hand. The cop thought that was tres kewl.

He liked to shit when Fancy Pants (the peacock) came over to be hand-fed some bread. I cojoled FP to take a piece from the cop. He was delighted.

Another wild-ass day in Chateau Sneakydicker. I fuggin love this place.

So, what was ossifer Kupkeee "official" visit all about ? Illegal beaner butt dialed 911 ?

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Congratulations on working a bunch of illegal aliens.

I guess as long as you saved a few bucks......well, thats all that matters.

:2 thumbs up:

Well, that sounds truly snarky. And not to put too fine a point on it: it really sounds fucking fake-superior and genuine-STOOPID.

But I will answer straight: I did NOT hire a bunch of beaners. Clear?

I hired a large company. One that gave a fair price and promised exceptional quality service. Which they provided in spades, doubled. OK? We still together here?

I had no idea, I had no control, I had no fucking NOTHIN' to say, do, or infer when the whole shitload of workers showed up. Did you ever contract with any company, coopie?

Yes?

OK, what was their dental plan? Sufficient? What was their Equal Opportunity program outline? WHAT!!! You did not check beforehand to make sure some snarky fuck named coopersmith might sniff in superior sniffitude at you???

Putz.

Putzaroo.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
So, what was ossifer Kupkeee "official" visit all about ? Illegal beaner butt dialed 911 ?
We never really broke the mystery down. But the strawboss yelled up to the only guy on the roof with a phone. He sheepishly turned it off.

Why anyone would have 911 on a butt-dial is beyond me.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Thank you, sir, for the nice compliment, I didn't even know that you noticed !!! :holding hands:

COLLUSION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fucking Floriduhh dirty ins co's. Metal roofs let the snow slide down really well, isn't this important in Floriduhh ?
Seriously, metal roofs are a great fire barrier & last 4 times longer than any other AND they don't rot.
Obviously the ins. co's & the roofer's have a "thing" going !!! As usual, the homeowner pays the freight !!

OK, on the serious. Even with a metal roof & a huge clean, clear area, our FUCKING ins. co's TRIPLED our rate after a near by forest fire. They did not give a flying fuck about my metal roof, nor my huge defensible area around my home (required by law).
Does Pelosi & Schitmer own or have stock in ins. co's ??? :don't    know2::rage 1
It's the wind, man.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Listen you old fucker, I had my house roofed 2 years ago. I asked 4 companies to bid on the job. I told them all there would be no wetbacks allowed on my property. 2 of the companies never returned a bid. I had 8 white guys and 2 mexican american kids on my roof for 2 and a half days.

How hard is that?

You can dress it up with peacocks, slices of bread, the local beat cop, and soft shelled turtles, but you are part of the problem.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I started my framing career down on Mark-up Island. Could be that's why I have so many skin cancer growths. Working in nothing but shorts and boots. Girls liked the oreo effect. I thought roofing in Floriduh was the worst job to have until I met some guys working on our broken A/C. Couldn't get me to crawl up in the attic with no air, little room, roof heat and who knows what living in there.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Just not true.

The job they did could have been inspected by God Hisself.

They did everything required and more. Cut no corners. Could have used a video of them reworking the roof of Chateau Snedeker as an instruction manual. I took a photo for the helluvit of the incredible amount of nails they put in.

ZERO problems in that area. Mebbe things are looser in Montana (and they damn' well should be!) but in Floriduh, the quickest way to go out of bidness is to fail the inspection. Oh yeah. That is part of the deal.
All true....until the next serious gust of wind after they get paid and the shingles are all over your lawn.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter

I'd put in a lightning rod with all that metal up there!

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Why anyone would have 911 on a butt-dial is beyond me.
Most peoples phones do. On the unlock screen there's a big button right there that says "emergency call". Don't even have to unlock the phone to use it. All ya gotta do is get finger too close to it, or possible even skin though the material of a pocket might be enough to trigger it. Then you're unknowingly walkin' around with 911 on the line trying to listen to anything they can hear.

'Butt dials' straining 911 emergency systems
https://www.cnn.com/2015/10/05/living/butt-dialing-911-emergency-feat/index.html

The emergency dispatchers who handle calls to 911 must grapple with urgent situations, frantic callers and garbled messages.
As if that's not enough, now they're facing another challenge: butt dialing.
Accidental calls make up a significant percentage of 911 calls in San Francisco, according to new research by Google that seeks to explain a huge increase in emergency calls in that city. Such calls, typically made when smartphones are in pockets or purses, are placing a strain on already-taxed dispatchers who cannot communicate with the callers and must try to call them back, the report says.
Google researchers shadowed 911 dispatchers in San Francisco and found that 30% of the wireless calls they received during a particular window of time were accidental. This is a time-consuming hassle for dispatchers, who hear an open line and don't know whether the call is a mistake or a legitimate plea for help.
In the vast majority of such cases, the dispatcher had to call back the number to leave a voice mail, which wasted an average of one minute and 14 seconds per call, Google found.
More than one-third of dispatchers surveyed by Google said that such callbacks were the largest "pain point" of their workday

Then there's this. How dumb is this shit? iphones butt dialing 911 on their own from an Apple repair facility. The last paragraph highlights how the devices have been intentionally designed to easily call 911

Apple devices are butt dialing 911 from its refurbishing facility – 20 times per day

Since October, emergency responders in Elk Grove and Sacramento County, California have received over 1,600 false alarm 911 calls coming from an Apple repair and refurbishing site in the area.

It’s not clear if the calls are coming from Apple’s iPhones or Watches but each time a call originates out of the Elk Grove facility, there’s no one on the other end of the line and it’s gumming up the emergency response system in the area, draining resources and possibly slowing down response teams in actual emergencies.

“The times when it’s greatly impacting us is when we have other emergencies happening and we may have a dispatcher on another 911 call that may have to put that call on hold to triage the incoming call,” police dispatcher Jamie Hudson told Sacramento CBS Local News, which first reported these incidents.

The Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department says it has also received these false calls, telling CBS Local dispatchers sometimes heard technicians in the background.

iPhones and Apple Watches are easily triggered to call emergency response services with an accidentally long touch of a button. iPhone X, iPhone 8, or iPhone 8 Plus call up the SOS emergency service by holding down the side button and one of the volume buttons for an extended period. The Watch triggers a call to 911 just by pressing and holding the side button.
https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/22/a...om-its-refurbishing-facility-20-times-per-day/

What they've done amounts to putting 911 on speed dial on virtually everyone's phone. It's so stupid.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
I look at roofing now in a different like. It really doesn't matter who gets up there.

A as long as it's not me

B the various critters remain outside.

Walt needs a gator!

Strawboss

Home Improvement Sales Trainee...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
What they've done amounts to putting 911 on speed dial on virtually everyone's phone. It's so stupid.
I T-boned a police cruiser a few months ago driving through an intersection...the cop ran a red light and I hit him pretty solid right between the passenger side front/back doors. Totaled both vehicles.

After the air bags deployed (those suckers are very loud) and the cabin filled up with smoke from the airbags - I hastily got out of the car thinking it was a Tesla (fire)....but it was just the smoke from all the airbags. I was a bit disoriented and the 1st thing that happens is my phone starts ringing. I get a lot of spam callers trying to sell me cheap insurance and stuff - so I immediately send it to voicemail. 10 seconds later - my phone rings again...and I silence it again...then it rings a 3rd time and this time I realize its 911 - calling ME.

I guess nowadays - they know when you have been in a crash and either the car or the phone calls 911. Since I didnt know it had called - they called me back...3x.

Fortunately - no one was seriously hurt although both me and the officer went to the ER for a checkup...

I learned a few things from the incident though...

1. My car had airbags i didnt even know it had....for instance...there were airbags that went off by my feet and knees...
2. Police dash cam video doesnt record if the police dont have thier flashing lights on (yeah - thats what they told me).
3. Traffic cams dont record video in that city (yeah - thats what they told me)...

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter

Well, damme! I honestly never thought of that, EO. Damn' good advice.

Now that I am thinking along that sorta line, I realize I accidentally took your advice ahead of you giving it:

ALL the workers saw the following things very clearly (rooftop view, d'ysee) --

1. High-caliber shooting range in the back yard.
2. Big US flag flying over my road.
3. Police cruiser pulling into my driveway. (You shoulda seen the sideways looks from up there.)
4. Me and Herself chatting and laughing with the cop.
5. Later discussion with the strawboss where I mentioned my great neighbors: In the back, two active-duty GI's (one deployed), on the side, a guy that likes to shoot his .45 at my range. And my neighbor one street up is a cop. This conversation came about when I mentioned about how the cops show up on Independence Day to shoot my cannon.

So, by accident... I took your advice. :beer:

gliddenralston

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Mexicans do almost all the shingling in my state, mainly because whites refuse!

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I look at roofing now in a different like. It really doesn't matter who gets up there.

A as long as it's not me

B the various critters remain outside.

Walt needs a gator!

OK, thread drift -----

Just got back from my Zen time (as MySonTheDoctor calls it) where I go feed the tame fish, and I have to pass on the really neato time I had.

First, I was walking down the road to the pond and happened to look behind me; I was being followed by one of the peacocks. When I got to the pond, he fanned out and began doing that shivery dance. So I tossed him a coupla pieces from a slice of bread. He began pecking pieces from my hand after a while. Kewl.

The fish can tell when I arrive -- you can see them arrowing in from all parts of the pond. And they start jumping a tad. When I toss in some chunks of bread, it looks like one of those piranha videos. So there I wuz, holding out pieces of bread to hand-feed the fish (mostly tilapia), when Missus Soft-Shell shows up and takes the whole fargin slice. KEWL kewl.

Was almost through the loaf when I noticed a big crow on the other side of me about ten feet away. I tossed him a slice -- he jumped up and flew in a loop and landed on the slice of bread. Stood on it to pull it apart. When he got it pretty well in half, he took off with it. A second crow was on the first half in five seconds. This crow tore a chunk, and took off with it. The remainder was nailed by a blue jay.

So there is Himself -- in a sort of wonder-daze... as in: WTF is going on???

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Mexicans do almost all the shingling in my state, mainly because whites refuse!
Yeah. I was (and still am) letting coopie off with the last word, 'cause he is sincere and also sincerely unaware of the realities in South Floriduh.

Ain't his fault any more than it is mine.