• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

U.S. named 'most heavily armed country'

dogman

Seeker
Seeker
I shoot all kinds of stuff. Paper, steel gongs, cans/bottles/jugs (both full and empty), old cars, golf balls, ice, and let's not forget crows, coyotes, hogs and the like. And that's just for fun, then there's hunting and pest removal.

As to the number, I own a ton of firearms that I've never fired. Some for the collection, some for investment. Would someone be considered scary if they collected old tools? That's what a firearm is, a tool. Nothing more, nothing less. It's just a lot more fun to drive nails from 100 yards away...:biggrin:
Nails?

Fly's on the target at 100 yards are more fun and challenging with the right rifle. :biggrin:

Edit: Raw eggs at 300+ are good for a hoot also!

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Quote Originally Posted by Eat Beef

"If you can count it you don't have nearly enough..."

Crikey!!!!

Beef? What is going on up there? Those cows shooting back at ya???? :biggrin:

Zed: Paraphrasing Danny Vermin from "Johnny Dangeroulsy":

I ran out of ammo once. ONCE!

Go watch Zulu Dawn to get a sense (from the Pommy POV) about what that feels like.

Then avoid it.

dogman

Seeker
Seeker
Quote Originally Posted by Eat Beef

"If you can count it you don't have nearly enough..."

Zed: Paraphrasing Danny Vermin from "Johnny Dangeroulsy":

I ran out of ammo once. ONCE!

Go watch Zulu Dawn to get a sense (from the Pommy POV) about what that feels like.

Then avoid it.
Truth!

There is never enough!

TnAndy

retired guy
Platinum Bling
Hey Zed you say the word "arsenals" like it is a bad .......thing :s11:

one gun ........hummmm.......i cant remember ever owning just 1 gun

I can....I was 10 years old and it was a single shot .22

My next one, age 12, was a .303 British Enfield bought out of an ad in the NRA mag for $12.95 + 2 bucks shipping.....no FFL required at the time. Kicked like a mule....weighed almost as much as I did.

Aurumag

Dimly lit. Highly reflective
Midas Member
Site Supporter
yes, given. But i still like to keep atleast 1000 rounds per firearm at hand. much more in 12/20 gauge and .22 LR.

A bit off topic but how much ammo do you guys keep around?
nunyamofo

Back on topic:

An armed society is a polite society.

TnAndy

retired guy
Platinum Bling
Metal "job" boxes make great ammo storage containers. You can get 10-50k rounds in one ( depending on caliber ) easy. And with the casters on them, you can roll about anywhere in the garage.

Zed

Size doesn't count!
Midas Member
Would someone be considered scary if they collected old tools? That's what a firearm is, a tool. Nothing more, nothing less. It's just a lot more fun to drive nails from 100 yards away...:biggrin:
Hey Beef, I'm not judging ya! I will admit it took me years to understand why guns are such a part of American life then I read something that made it all gel. I can't remember it verbatim but it was along the lines that the people should have the right to bear arms and that the government should be limited in this regard. The idea being that governments waged war and often turn on the people in the process so if all houses where armed it "kept the b's honest".... that is probably mangled so set me straight... I think it was a FF who said it. Anyway, for the day it made sense to me and it gave me a clearer idea of why the gun culture is what it is in the US.

The thing to understand about us is we just don't have a gun culture, their is no unwritten moral code of all the dos and don'ts, no understanding of the right reasons to be armed and the people who tend to want them outside of sports and work typically really want them for the wrong reasons. It is kinda like bringing democracy to the undemocratic, it is not a good idea... you need the culture to support the responsibility before it will work well. I guess that is why we went the other way and banned all but a few guns. Gun crime is now very, very low in this country so it seems to have worked... the funny thing is though I can't see it working in the US, I think it might go the other way if you tried it. IMO this is more about the people and the culture than anything else.

Scary?.... that depends on the tools mate! If you collected dental hardware you'd be as scary as all feck! :biggrin:

Last edited:

Argentium

Midas Member
Midas Member
Hey Beef, I'm not judging ya! I will admit it took me years to understand why guns are such a part of American life then I read something that made it all gel. I can't remember it verbatim but it was along the lines that the people should have the right to bear arms and that the government should be limited in this regard. The idea being that governments waged war and often turn of the people in the process so if all houses where armed it "kept the b's honest".... that is probably mangled so set me straight... I think it was a FF who said it. Anyway, for the day it made sense to me and it gave me a clearer idea of why the gun culture is what it is in the US.

The thing to understand about us is we just don't have a gun culture, their is no unwritten moral code of all the dos and don'ts, no understanding of the right reasons to be armed and the people who tend to want them outside of sports and work typically really want them for the wrong reasons. It is kinda like bringing democracy to the undemocratic, it is not a good idea... you need the culture to support the responsibility before it will work well. I guess that is why we went the other way and banned all but a few guns. Gun crime is now very, very low in this country so it seems to have worked... the funny thing is though I can't see it working in the US, I think it might go the other way if you tried it. IMO this is more about the people and the culture than anything else.

Scary?.... that depends on the tools mate! If you collected dental hardware you'd be as scary as all feck! :biggrin:
It has always seemed odd to me that Australia never developed a "gun culture", as it was/is a frontier society, like the US. Of course, you guys never had a dust-up with the motherland like we did. Pity. ;)

Please understand this is from the perspective of someone on the outside looking in, no criticism implied!

Zed

Size doesn't count!
Midas Member
It has always seemed odd to me that Australia never developed a "gun culture", as it was/is a frontier society, like the US. Of course, you guys never had a dust-up with the motherland like we did. Pity. ;)

Please understand this is from the perspective of someone on the outside looking in, no criticism implied!
No offense taken. We have a history that you would have thought would lead to some form of strong gun culture, but it hasn't. Go figure? Yes no real civil war to speak of, maybe that was the difference, we have never been set against our government. Their was/is some gun culture in the country and rural areas but that is about it outside of sporting shooters... at least from my observation. I guess we have enough space that we could just avoid each other... I dunno, I really don't. It was pretty much this way when I arrived here :biggrin:

Silvergun

Silver Member
Silver Miner
The EMP will increase that ratio. If I was one to worry, that's the game changer for the US.
I never should have read the book "One Second After"
Just started this book last week im about 75 pages in and its great so far!

To stay on topic...

These kind of stats are awesome but I think they are skewed because most guns owners I know have a big arsenal that they have accumulated over the years, so you cant just divide the number of firearms in america by the population.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
I can....I was 10 years old and it was a single shot .22

My next one, age 12, was a .303 British Enfield bought out of an ad in the NRA mag for $12.95 + 2 bucks shipping.....no FFL required at the time. Kicked like a mule....weighed almost as much as I did.
Oh, Gawd! I got one of those, too! I got it at Monkey Wards. I paid $18 for it. It used 220gr bullets.

IIRC, you could load one up the pipe, then pull the trigger whilst holding the big flat hammer thingy... and ease it down. To cock it, you could pull back on it sorta like a single shot .22

Mine was a "smellie" from Canuckistan. 1947 mfr date.

Tiger44

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
We have a history that you would have thought would lead to some form of strong gun culture, but it hasn't. Go figure? Yes no real civil war to speak of, maybe that was the difference, we have never been set against our government. Their was/is some gun culture in the country and rural areas but that is about it outside of sporting shooters... at least from my observation. I guess we have enough space that we could just avoid each other... I dunno, I really don't. It was pretty much this way when I arrived here.
A Japanese invasion in 1941-1942 might have helped.

TnAndy

retired guy
Platinum Bling
Oh, Gawd! I got one of those, too! I got it at Monkey Wards. I paid $18 for it. It used 220gr bullets.

IIRC, you could load one up the pipe, then pull the trigger whilst holding the big flat hammer thingy... and ease it down. To cock it, you could pull back on it sorta like a single shot .22

Mine was a "smellie" from Canuckistan. 1947 mfr date.
As I recall, it was a regular bolt action with a fixed mag that held about 5-6 rounds. But it's been a long time.....I sold it during my college years to some other kid that wanted some "protection"......ahahahaaa.......you couldn't hide that cannon with a duffle bag.....and it had more wood on it than a baseball bat.

My next purchase was a .30cal M1 carbine at JC Penny.....tells our age when you could purchase guns at places like that, huh ? I gave $79 for it, and still have that one.

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
.303 Enfields are hard to beat but they're getting tougher to find for a 'cheap' price........have a buddy that collects 'em but I prefer my Remington 1918 chambered in .30-06

EnfieldCollection-2.jpg

TnAndy

retired guy
Platinum Bling
Yep....that one in the middle was it. Wood all the way out on top/bottom.
I sold it for 50 bucks in 1970.....should have hung on to it, huh ?

Aurumag

Dimly lit. Highly reflective
Midas Member
Site Supporter
...We have a history that you would have thought would lead to some form of strong gun culture, but it hasn't. Go figure? Yes no real civil war to speak of, maybe that was the difference, we have never been set against our government. Their was/is some gun culture in the country and rural areas but that is about it outside of sporting shooters... at least from my observation. I guess we have enough space that we could just avoid each other... I dunno, I really don't. It was pretty much this way when I arrived here
Did you arrive Down Under before or after the Port Arthur Massacre?

There's a History Lessons for you:

One slightly retarded Tasmanian Devil with very little (if any) shooting experience who magically channels the meticulous killing skills of an SAS team; pulling off head shots and multiple mag changes while efficiently killing 35 and wounding 21 with an AR-15, later captured with a FAL which had been rendered inoperable.

Soon after followed up by swift and draconian civilian disarmament for the world's largest island.

Hey Scorpio, I finally found something which government does efficiently!

Zed

Size doesn't count!
Midas Member
Did you arrive Down Under before or after the Port Arthur Massacre?

There's a History Lessons for you:

One slightly retarded Tasmanian Devil with very little (if any) shooting experience who magically channels the meticulous killing skills of an SAS team; pulling off head shots and multiple mag changes while efficiently killing 35 and wounding 21 with an AR-15, later captured with a FAL which had been rendered inoperable.

Soon after followed up by swift and draconian civilian disarmament for the world's largest island.

Hey Scorpio, I finally found something which government does efficiently!

Many decades before!

He walked into a cafe and started plugging away, you hardly need "meticulous killing skills of an SAS team" to kill a good number of people at near point blank.

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/notorious_murders/mass/bryant/index_1.html

Last edited:

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Nails?

Fly's on the target at 100 yards are more fun and challenging with the right rifle. :biggrin:

Edit: Raw eggs at 300+ are good for a hoot also!
If you want to shoot something that reacts a tad more exhuberantly than paper, try ice cubes.

Tough target, but when you hit, they explode.

SPEAKING OF EXPLODING AMMO!!!

If you take a .22 hollow point, widen the hole a tad in order to insert a lighter flint in it...

...shoot it at a distant rock. It will give off an ENORMOUS spark where it hits.

KEWL, eh?

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
As I recall, it was a regular bolt action with a fixed mag that held about 5-6 rounds. But it's been a long time.....I sold it during my college years to some other kid that wanted some "protection"......ahahahaaa.......you couldn't hide that cannon with a duffle bag.....and it had more wood on it than a baseball bat.

My next purchase was a .30cal M1 carbine at JC Penny.....tells our age when you could purchase guns at places like that, huh ? I gave $79 for it, and still have that one.
JAY-ZUS!!!

We gotta stop this parallel life stuff!! Folks are getting suspicious.

I got my M1 carbine for perzackly $100 from the NRA thingy. Cost $1 per box of ammo.

Fargin gun is adorable (has a kick like a p ussycat), even though it ain't good for anything with its pistol ammo...

Eat Beef

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Yep....that one in the middle was it. Wood all the way out on top/bottom.
I sold it for 50 bucks in 1970.....should have hung on to it, huh ?
Not really, you could have bought it back for 100 bucks a couple of years ago. You don't see SMLEs much now, just on the secondary market, and they're usually around 250 and up. I got a couple of Ishapore 2as, which are SMLEs in 308, when they first came in and were cheap (under 100 bucks).

Considering inflation, you're still on top from your $50 years ago, but 303 is expensive and hard to find, who wants one?

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
numbers are MUCH HIGHER than these boobs report

these numbers are CRAP

way too low - and 8 mil guns WORLD WIDE PER YEAR??? PHFFTTT!!

Americans purchase ON AVERAGE of ONE MILLION FIREARMS PER MONTH and have for AT LEAST THE PAST FOUR YEARS (started WAY BACK in 2007)

and 270 million firearms??? PHFFTTT!!! number has EXCEEDED 400 million - that's at LEAST one firearm for EVERY MAN WOMAN AND CHILD IN THIS COUNTRY...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae74oMMQ4ak

registered guns 1a.jpg

so, if you didn't know - that those of us who are 'seers' - saw this coming quite some time ago and many of us have not purchased anything in years - cause we bought it when it was cheap - how cheap? case of AK47 for less than $100 shipped... WAY LESS if you were around twenty years ago or so...

chew on that for a while and then realize the numbers are way wrong - TOO LOW

Eat Beef

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Oh, Wallew, you're so confused. Americans purchase firearms that aren't new. Hence the discrepency in numbers.

The number is rising, and has been since it became apparent that Lord Maobama would be selected.

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
firearms manufacturers here AND abroad can not keep up with the demand here in the US - for a while you would have been hard pressed to find an AK for less than $500 - those prices have settled back into the $300 range

ammo??? a couple of the manufacturers put on a 'fourth shift' to keep up - how do they do it? They used to be closed over the weekend, but discovered they could get one more weeks worth of manufacturing done in two days and still have eight hours for any machine maintenance... they still are having issues keeping up with larger orders...

it's been this way for four years or more - all the folks waking up and going oh cr@p, I might want to store some food... blah, blah, blah and if they are lucky they EVENTUALLY get around to realizing they will be responsible for their own security so they go buy a gun - unfortunately a lot of them NEVER do any thing more - never understood that mentality - but when a friend of mine's 75 year old mom starts asking questions like, can I handle a .38 sp at my age???

well, let's just say 'dere ain't nearly as many sheeple as dere used ta be'...

even weirder, being prepared is strictly a USA phenom... there are no survivalist over in Europe, or not enough to even be a statistical mention in passing - or any where else - just here

might have to do that in many cases, ONLY IN THE USA do we have enough money to have the ability to store supplies away for a rainy day - plus just perhaps some of us have LEARNED from histories lessons ??? (is that a bit of AMERICAN CONCEIT?)

and yeah, it's comin...

Barack Obama vs Assualt Weapons.jpg

Gold Rules

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Metal "job" boxes make great ammo storage containers. You can get 10-50k rounds in one ( depending on caliber ) easy. And with the casters on them, you can roll about anywhere in the garage.

.......:yes:.......not big enough........:yes:.........ehhhhhhhhhh

Eat Beef

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
There are no restrictions on how many you can buy.:biggrin:

Unclad Lad

Rhodium Imam
Gold Chaser
smooth said:
A bit off topic but how much ammo do you guys keep around?
What are you talking about? I don't have any ammo! No guns either! Or gold, silver, extra food, or pertinent skills. Just every season of "Jersey Shore" on DVD...

One problem with this report is that it only considers firearms as "small-arms". If they included grenades and RPGs, we'd probably fall behind both Yemen and Somalia, per capita.

Cynical1

Seeker
Seeker
it's been this way for four years or more - all the folks waking up and going oh cr@p, I might want to store some food... blah, blah, blah and if they are lucky they EVENTUALLY get around to realizing they will be responsible for their own security so they go buy a gun
That was me 2 years ago, but we started with guns, and own 8 now. I buy a little more ammo with every paycheck and it's piled up, along with enough to feed 12 people for at least 2 months. When the public ranges are open we shoot maybe 500 rounds per month, and I've still managed to build up some extra. I just did an inventory last week. I'm way behind others in this thread, but better off than the average person.

.223 2300

.270 265

7.62x39 940

.380auto 820

12ga. 265

.22LR 2958

7.62x54R 480

Total 8028

honu5050

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
someone throw in a few Abram's tanks and that should do it !

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
You may have heard on the news about a southern California man that was placed under 72-hour psychiatric observation when it was found he owned 100 guns and allegedly had an estimated 1-million rounds of ammunition stored in his home. His house also had a secret escape tunnel. My favorite quote from the television reporter was, "Wow! He has about a million machine gun bullets." The headline referred to it as a "massive weapons cache”. By southern California standards, the man was assumed to be "mentally unstable." However, if the same guy lived...

In Arizona , he'd be called "an avid gun collector”.

In Arkansas, he'd be called "a novice gun collector".

In Utah, he'd be called "moderately well prepared", but they'd
probably reserve judgment until they made sure that he had a
corresponding quantity of stored food.

In Montana, he'd be called, "The neighborhood Go-To guy".

In Idaho, he'd be called, "a likely gubernatorial candidate".

In Wyoming, he'd be called, "an eligible bachelor".

And, in Texas, he’d be called, “a deer hunting buddy”.

GOD BLESSED TEXAS

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Thought this would fit in here somewhere...

Jane Austen.JPG

spathatos

Seeker
Seeker