• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

US advises deleting QuickTime from Windows computers

SongSungAU

Midas Member
Midas Member
April 15, 2016

A cyber security team at the US Department of Homeland Security is advising people to remove QuickTime media software from Windows computers to avoid being hacked.

The US Computer Security Readiness Team (CERT) on Thursday issued an alert after Trend Micro put out word that Apple will no longer be updating defenses in QuickTime and that two vulnerabilities in the program could be exploited by hackers.

"Exploitation of QuickTime for Windows vulnerabilities could allow remote attackers to take control of affected systems," CERT said in the alert.

"The only mitigation available is to uninstall QuickTime for Windows."

The advisory did not apply to QuickTime running on Apple computers.

Apple's QuickTime is one of several programs allowing computer users to view videos and other media files.

Cyber security firm Trend Micro said in an online post that it was not aware of any attacks that have taken advantage of the QuickTime weaknesses, but the best defense was to follows Apple's own advice and uninstall the programs from Windows-powered machines.

Apple did not reply to an AFP request for comment.

http://phys.org/news/2016-04-deleting-quicktime-windows.html

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Thx for the public service announcement

I'm on it

latemetal

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
O.K., what did I delete, and is there anything I'm supposed to replace it with? just wondering?

southfork

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Bumpworthy

April 15, 2016

A cyber security team at the US Department of Homeland Security is advising people to remove QuickTime media software from Windows computers to avoid being hacked.

The US Computer Security Readiness Team (CERT) on Thursday issued an alert after Trend Micro put out word that Apple will no longer be updating defenses in QuickTime and that two vulnerabilities in the program could be exploited by hackers.

"Exploitation of QuickTime for Windows vulnerabilities could allow remote attackers to take control of affected systems," CERT said in the alert.

"The only mitigation available is to uninstall QuickTime for Windows."

The advisory did not apply to QuickTime running on Apple computers.

Apple's QuickTime is one of several programs allowing computer users to view videos and other media files.

Cyber security firm Trend Micro said in an online post that it was not aware of any attacks that have taken advantage of the QuickTime weaknesses, but the best defense was to follows Apple's own advice and uninstall the programs from Windows-powered machines.

Apple did not reply to an AFP request for comment.

http://phys.org/news/2016-04-deleting-quicktime-windows.html

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I'd advise deleting WINDOWS from your computer
I second that motion.

I still scratch my head at the multitude of software companies like trend micro, that initiated this thread, that leave you with only a windows solution. Case in point, trend micro deep security for use on VMware farms (which are Linux based) yet they use windows for the administrative console. WTF?