• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Scorpio

Hunter of Chin Li's Boo Hoo Flu
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Wal-Mart to operate its own gas stations

MarketWatch

By Sarah Nassauer 10 hrs ago
6 / 15

BBp62If.img
© Provided by MarketWatch Wal-Mart to operate its own gas stations

For most of the past 20 years, Wal-Mart Stores Inc. has let another company build and operate gas stations in the parking lots of its stores. Now, the retailer has decided it wants to pump its own gasoline.

Last week, Wal-Mart executives told Murphy USA Inc. that going forward it will build and operate its own gas stations. Murphy will continue to run the more than 1,000 locations it has already built near Wal-Mart stores.

Although oil prices have tumbled in the past year, forcing companies like BP PLC to slash thousands of jobs and Exxon Mobil Corp. to halt stock buybacks, falling prices at the pump haven’t hurt gas-station owners. While revenue from fuel sales has fallen, so have fuel expenses. Plus, cheaper gasoline leaves more cash in drivers’ pockets to buy cigarettes, snacks and other high-margin merchandise.

Wal-Mart has run gas stations in front of its warehouse chain Sam’s Club since 1997 and already operates several hundred in front of its approximately 4,500 Wal-Mart stores, said company spokesman Randy Hargrove. But the largest seller of gasoline in front of U.S. Wal-Mart stores is Murphy. When building new stores, Wal-Mart plans to add its own gas stations to as many as possible, said Hargrove.

The shift is a sign that Wal-Mart CEO Doug McMillon is pushing to eke out profit from every corner as the retailer pours billions into boosting e-commerce sales to fend off Amazon.com Inc. and improve slow sales growth at stores.

An expanded version of this report appears on WSJ.com.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...te-its-own-gas-stations/ar-BBp5XwG?li=BBnbfcL

gringott

"Internet Influencer"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
The closest Walmart has a Murphy gas station. The new "Walmart Neighborhood Market" in the same town has a Walmart gas station.

Usury

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Yep...here too. But the closed the neighborhood market last month--only about 8 months after opening!

gringott

"Internet Influencer"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Ours has been open about two weeks. Real busy pre-snow day, which was during opening. Last visit not so much.

gringott

"Internet Influencer"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Just went to the local Neighborhood Market. Reg Gas was $1.52 when I pulled in the parking lot. It was $1.47 when I left.
Not busy in the store. Gas station had customers, but no line. Much less busy than corner gas or Kroger. "gas buddy" says $1.49 is lowest in area. May not have added Walmart yet.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Supporter +++
Reaction score
Walmart should open a bunch of outlet stores to sell all of their leftover crap. As far as gas goes, are they going to sell lottery tickets and vapor cigs like the dotheads at the minimart?

gringott

"Internet Influencer"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Walmart should open a bunch of outlet stores to sell all of their leftover crap. As far as gas goes, are they going to sell lottery tickets and vapor cigs like the dotheads at the minimart?

Not sure, I know the Murphy at Walmart has that stuff, but the Walmart Gas is not like Murphy, it has an inside with stuff for sale. I'll get back to you with a vapor cig and lotto report next time.

Usury

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
That's funny how the article is showing an attractive female instead of the typical semi-retarded Wal-Mart shopper filing up on gas.

I'm not so sure I'd put her in the "attractive" category.....hard to tell with that twisted, grimaced face.

Regardless, I see all types at my Walmart....though I have been to others that are more like you are talking about. I think they reflect the demographics of the area.

gringott

"Internet Influencer"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I have never seen a woman I would consider truly "hot" at Walmart.
I do see some at Kroger.
More at the airport.
A couple a gas stations.

gringott

"Internet Influencer"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Yep...here too. But the closed the neighborhood market last month--only about 8 months after opening!

nickndfl, I bought gas there this morning. I did not go in, but I looked in the window. No vapor cigs or lottery tickets visible.
Get this - gas was $1.38, the gas station one block away was $1.54.

I went inside the Neighborhood Market to buy some needed items this morning, there were some very light snowflakes coming down, but nothing was sticking, now a couple of hours later and nothing stuck to roads etc.
Long story short, I went to checkout and no human cashiers. The above "snow event" was given as the excuse. A handicapped lady asked for a human, nobody wanted to self check out. They said they couldn't help us, no staff. I was very annoyed by this, I complained. In fact, I quoted Usury, I said somebody told me they closed the neighborhood market last month--only about 8 months after opening! NOW I KNOW WHY.

Well, long story short, they took to me the service desk and gave me a $20 Walmart Gift Card [Valentines Day card ha ha].

So thanks, Usury, you made me $20! Have a great Valentine's Day!