• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

We Made It...again, Debtors Prison

Buck

Village Idiot
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
debtors prison has always been a huge problem for me, like the guy who doesn't pay his child support, putting him in jail is the worst solution ever thought of....

Unless and Until things 'change', as we see today, .gov 'solutions' are not solutions at all, but, certainly letting people die because they're too poor for medical services isn't the answer either

i'll just leave this with this thought...imho, we, all of us, are NOT supposed to be at this point, on the path of life, and knowing that has helped me a lot

and don't have too much debt, and don't end up poor

:dog:

Ebie

Midas Member
Midas Member
Judges don't like it when people don't show up for their court dates.

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
and doctors paid visits to farms, apartments, houses, tool sheds, even barns to birth animals and a meal plus some token silver coins were all they would ask for their services

there were generally more undertakers during those times also iirc

Let a doctor come to your home with his little black bag and you can pay for 1905 medical advancements.

edsl48

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Well people should pay their debts.

Every thing the government gets involved in goes straight to hades/hell.

I'm convinced if the government kept its nose out of it, there would still be people who need encouragement to pay their way. And there would hopefully, still be some people who would offer help. But asking for help has bred a certain class of folks who think others owe them a living.

Most medical establishments are willing to work with their customers to make payments they can afford. The aforementioned class of folks who do not want to pay should have their wages legally garnished after some reasonably attended effort on the part of the servicer to come to a payment arrangement. Even after all that, there would still be some dregs who would not want to pay. They are addicted to the free-for-nothin' lifestyle. Addicted to opm (other people's money).

It's easy for an auto mechanic to refuse service. Or a carpenter, engineer, house cleaner, etc. to refuse service also. But doctors used to take an oath to "first, do no harm." So refusing service for something that is not life-threatening is reasonable. But someone coming in due to an emergency (auto accident, etc.) how can they honorably refuse?

Difficult situation. In the old days such people who refused to work we ostracized by the local society. Back then, that could mean death. It was a form of social control. If then there was someone who could not afford care, THEN society would chip in for the needed service.

I think in general, people have been coddled entirely too much.

$0.02

Auto accident? Lawsuits ended things like that decades ago.

Zed

Barely Bullish!
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Define reasonable services?
There is a "free market" hospital operating somewhere in the US, Stefan Molyneux interviewed the guy who set it up. He will not deal with insurance and he bills at normal sort of profit markups. Many procedures can be done for less than the deductible at a normal hospital...

I think this is it, not sure, don't have time to check.

Basically by reasonable I mean a truly market driven price WITHOUT government pushing it's finger down on the scale via restrictive regulation.

Zed

Barely Bullish!
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Let a doctor come to your home with his little black bag and you can pay for 1905 medical advancements.
At least in 1905 they where free to treat, now they are so tied up with regulation that if you don't present as a classic case with an instant and approved prescription fix they are not really interested. They get paid on through put, not quality... that is what happens when a system is paying and not a patient. Talking broadly doctors these day have all the wrong incentives to practice medicine, helping people is low on the list.

Buck

Village Idiot
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
zed kinda had my idea:

I go to a hospital, pay $100 just for Triage, that's where a person asks me to pick a number of 1 to 10 while i bleed in front of her, not out, just enough to make a mess

The bandages she applies cost $200 and so, i'm out $300 and i ain't seen shit

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
If you are bleeding so bad that you "bleed out" you will pay more that $100 to save your life...unless you only think your life is worth $100...not to mention the house call doctor will never make it to your home in time by the time you call and you get ahold on him/her and he mobilizes to your house

Ebie

Midas Member
Midas Member
At least in 1905 they where free to treat, now they are so tied up with regulation that if you don't present as a classic case with an instant and approved prescription fix they are not really interested. They get paid on through put, not quality... that is what happens when a system is paying and not a patient. Talking broadly doctors these day have all the wrong incentives to practice medicine, helping people is low on the list.
Let me rephrase it for you:
...doctors get paid on through put (ie volume of patients seen), not quality... quality does not matter for reimbursement of the doctor...that is what happens when a third party is paying and not the patient...the third party payer considers the transaction successfully completed when the patient (“consumer”) has been “seen”...

Zed

Barely Bullish!
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
If you are bleeding so bad that you "bleed out" you will pay more that $100 to save your life...unless you only think your life is worth $100...not to mention the house call doctor will never make it to your home in time by the time you call and you get ahold on him/her and he mobilizes to your house
What's it worth? It's worth the price that a free market establishes. What does it cost? Not so much.