• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

We may not have enough food soon

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Not the best way to raise children. But, it could happen. Modern day Gypsies.
Once again mainstream media does not report on how bad it is already. Soon to be coming epidemic with rising rents and inflation.

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I think there will be a return to multi-generational hoseholds. Back to our roots.
I don't see what other choice many people will have. Personally I have never seen the need to a small family to own the huge homes people buy these days. Those large homes will come in handy when multigenerational living increases though.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
Indianapolis has 5 homeless camp's now, population at around 5k

Little towns I grew up near wouldnt equal that combined

Progress!

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Progress!
If I had to be homeless I would move to a warm climate. The thought of people being on the street in the cold is just heartbreaking.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
My 6 months in Florida ruined me. I'm surprised that anyone lives north of 30* lat

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
My 6 months in Florida ruined me. I'm surprised that anyone lives north of 30* lat
I could go back to Marco. Doubt my wife and myself could afford a place of our own. Still have family on the island so I could stay with them a few years until we get stabilized.

PhucilliJerry

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

I certainly understand why people would feel that way and loved my short times in FL, southern CA and the Caribbean. BUT I couldn’t give up the change of the seasons. It’s just good for my soul. Even the dead cold of winter brings me happiness. Without creature comforts I’d certainly feel differently, but there’s just something about sub zero temps in complete darkness and silence when nothing else is stirring, no bugs, no nothing.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
I could go back to Marco. Doubt my wife and myself could afford a place of our own. Still have family on the island so I could stay with them a few years until we get stabilized.
Marco is kept "artificially expensive"...... I'm surprised there isn't a 20 dollar toll just to cross the bridge!

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
There is alot of livable (maybe outdated as far as decorating goes) housing in small town america. I have a 3300 sq ft home on 20 acres I bought for 55k a decade ago. Ive got another 30k in updates to mostly water and septic, and roof. My property tax is 380/yr. Smaller places are cheaper, and most r move in ready, after a good cleaning (maybe some painting and floor covering replacement if needed) of course.

I know where there is a nice 3 br house for 55k, another for 40k, both in small town usa.

Bman33

Silver Surfer
Reaction score
The Civic Center Park that is in front of the Colorado State Capitol and other government buildings has been closed for a while. Big fences surround it now. Politicians & Government workers don’t like seeing the results of their policies. There was a lot of homeless in the park before.
There's all sorts of tent cities in downtown Denver. My wife and I won't go down there anymore when we want a nice meal.

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I don't see what other choice many people will have. Personally I have never seen the need to a small family to own the huge homes people buy these days. Those large homes will come in handy when multigenerational living increases though.

As with so many other choices, my brother went the opposite direction I did.

Single, he bought a four-bedroom home in Colorado. I didn't understand why and still don't. It is (or was) a nice place (no reason to think it's different, now); but he needs it like a fish needs a bicycle.

And he's left jobs to avoid moving. He's a software engineer; and his company was out of the Silicon Valley...an exploratory expansion out. His company no longer exists; was merged up; but he made a killing with his stock.

So he sits there, and has a server farm in the basement (or did, when that was A Thing) and does contracting work.

I didn't have that option. I couldn't learn to code. And you don't do railroad work from home.

We all gotta find our own way.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
There's all sorts of tent cities in downtown Denver. My wife and I won't go down there anymore when we want a nice meal.
Denver has had a homeless "problem" (that they have cultivated) for the last 27 years, at least.

Even in 1995, it was an issue. Bums used to sleep on the sidewalks of Broadway, near the post office, and in doorways on the 16th-Street Mall. The do-gooders at "private" shelters used to deliver the Broadway bums, box lunches every night. They'd eat the sweet rolls, and bite some of the rest, grinding the rest of the food into the sidewalk with their busted wine bottles.

They also squatted in the Platte River Greenway. Called themselves "campers." The greenway was basically beautiful; I used to jog along it; but those bums were a put-off for women and children. The winos would be bathing naked in the river, and sometimes doing more...often exhibiting themselves to get a reaction. Who the hell wants to deal with that?

Back then, it could have been stamped out quickly. But back then, Denver was in the First Stage of a California conquest.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

Progress!
Indianapolis was another city of Americans, that had to be destroyed.

Back in the mid-'00s, it was a city that worked. About the only heavily-black city I'd ever experienced, that was reasonably safe, well-run, clean, and respective of decent residents.

THAT...could not be left to stand.

Bring in the Californication.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Once again mainstream media does not report on how bad it is already. Soon to be coming epidemic with rising rents and inflation.

62 square foot homes for 139k each. Looks like it holds 2 beds. no bathroom or kitchen from what i can see, Probably cost less than 10k each to throw together. I think a coffin has more room than 1 of those places.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Eagle
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

These sick bastards in government spending 1/2 a million dollars for a $15,000 unit !
The homeless are lazy, filthy pigs, living in squalor, as low as human life can get.
Living in a tent is one thing, living in a dump is another.
When they have some self respect & start to live as clean humans, then maybe we should help. :Grrr:

the_shootist

Politically Gender Neutral
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score

Not my problem

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Eagle
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Back in the mid-'00s, it was a city that worked. About the only heavily-black city I'd ever experienced, that was reasonably safe, well-run, clean, and respective of decent residents.
Another all black city that is safe to be in, at least 7 years ago, is Langston, Oklahoma. It also has an all black university.
It is a relatively poor town, but is is clean.

Silvergun

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
A home anchors you

I suppose it does, but building wealth as a nomad aint easy.

A huge portion of my networth is still playing around with my initial equity. If I wouldnt of bought my first home I wouldnt be where I am today. Building the equity from the first one, selling and placing it in the next, rinse repeat is pinnacle of middle class wealth building, IMO.

Yes, it sucked and was scary initially as I had to buy when it was low due to the 2008 recession...

Theres a reason they're buying up all the single family homes and theres a reason everything is high denisty condos/apartments now. They are trying to make this option tougher...

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Everywhere has a "homeless" problem. I live where it hurts to breath during the winter months and even we have homeless camps! This is getting out of hand. Our warming shelters where overrun this winter and some of our homeless might have frozen to death.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Everywhere has a "homeless" problem. I live where it hurts to breath during the winter months and even we have homeless camps! This is getting out of hand. Our warming shelters where overrun this winter and some of our homeless might have frozen to death.
Yup, even our little area has it's homeless population. Up until last summer, there was a camp in one of the bigger city's parks. There are agencies trying to help.

What we have now are panhandlers. There were none 3 years ago but now they set up roadway intersections all over the city.

the_shootist

Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Everyone around here seems to have a place to live. I don't see anyone on the streets begging in any of the surrounding towns. We must be doing it wrong!!

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
We have panhandlers as well. Lucky for me I drive a beat up 30 year old pickup and they don't look twice at me. I usually get a nod as I drive by (I dress down and look two steps away from being homeless myself) so I don't have to put up with the hungry look at the stop light. The Acura/Navigator/BMW crowd not so much.

the_shootist

Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
We have panhandlers as well. Lucky for me I drive a beat up 30 year old pickup and they don't look twice at me. I usually get a nod as I drive by (I dress down and look two steps away from being homeless myself) so I don't have to put up with the hungry look at the stop light. The Acura/Navigator/BMW crowd not so much.
Why would you be bothered or uncomfortable in the presence of these 'homeless' panhandlers? Some of them make more money than many working people....and tax free too mind you!

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
As with so many other choices, my brother went the opposite direction I did.

Single, he bought a four-bedroom home in Colorado. I didn't understand why and still don't. It is (or was) a nice place (no reason to think it's different, now); but he needs it like a fish needs a bicycle.

And he's left jobs to avoid moving. He's a software engineer; and his company was out of the Silicon Valley...an exploratory expansion out. His company no longer exists; was merged up; but he made a killing with his stock.

So he sits there, and has a server farm in the basement (or did, when that was A Thing) and does contracting work.

I didn't have that option. I couldn't learn to code. And you don't do railroad work from home.

We all gotta find our own way.
Ever ask your brother if he might rent you a room?

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Why would you be bothered or uncomfortable in the presence of these 'homeless' panhandlers? Some of them make more money than many working people....and tax free too mind you!

Well, because I have to deal with so many of them at work. I also like to play the "grey man" game and see if I can pass un-noticed through my travels.

I stand out like a sore thumb at work so in my off time I like to blend.

Edit: by the way I'm back at work. Long story for another time.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Well, because I have to deal with so many of them at work. I also like to play the "grey man" game and see if I can pass un-noticed through my travels.

I stand out like a sore thumb at work so in my off time I like to blend.

Edit: by the way I'm back at work. Long story for another time.
Congrats.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
I might be able to panhandle but couldn't do it in my area. And yes, it's profitable.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I might be able to panhandle but couldn't do it in my area. And yes, it's profitable.

If you panhandled a day or 2 a week, imagine all the gold you could buy with the proceeds.

:secret:

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
There is alot of livable (maybe outdated as far as decorating goes) housing in small town america. I have a 3300 sq ft home on 20 acres I bought for 55k a decade ago. Ive got another 30k in updates to mostly water and septic, and roof. My property tax is 380/yr. Smaller places are cheaper, and most r move in ready, after a good cleaning (maybe some painting and floor covering replacement if needed) of course.

I know where there is a nice 3 br house for 55k, another for 40k, both in small town usa.

Making a living in Small Town u S of A is the hard part.

Last edited:

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
When they have some self respect & start to live as clean humans, then maybe we should help
That's WHY they are homeless.

Because they cannot behave well enough to keep an apartment, or keep a job to keep money coming in.

Water finds its own level.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Eagle
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I suppose it does, but building wealth as a nomad aint easy.

A huge portion of my networth is still playing around with my initial equity. If I wouldnt of bought my first home I wouldnt be where I am today. Building the equity from the first one, selling and placing it in the next, rinse repeat is pinnacle of middle class wealth building, IMO.

Yes, it sucked and was scary initially as I had to buy when it was low due to the 2008 recession...

Theres a reason they're buying up all the single family homes and theres a reason everything is high denisty condos/apartments now. They are trying to make this option tougher...
YUP, I bought my first home in 1968, it is now selling for 32 TIMES what I paid for it. Have wages gone up 32 times - hell no !!!
BTW, I was making $3.75/hr then, as a draftsman. Are wages $120/hr now? Ya I didn't think so !!!
Your government is your worst enemy. Forget Russia & China, they are stooges. :totally steamed::totally steamed:

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Eagle
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
That's WHY they are homeless.

Because they cannot behave well enough to keep an apartment, or keep a job to keep money coming in.

Water finds its own level.
Then let them F*****G rot ! :Grrr::Grrr::Grrr::totally steamed::totally steamed::totally steamed::finished::finished::finished:

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Eagle
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Making a living in Small Twon u S of A is the hard part.
I live near a small town, 24,000 pop. We had no homeless until our POS mayor BOUGHT some from Frisco. & L.A. What a POS !!! :make happy::make happy:

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Then let them F*****G rot !

That's why we had mental institutions.

Then we got Social Engineers - fake judges who ruled like Little Napoleons. Ordering their fantasies by diktat.

Now, instead of mad-houses, we have lunacy in the streets.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Eagle
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Ever ask your brother if he might rent you a room?
Yeah, I did.

When I got out of the Navy.

Big mistake, that. In the end, he did - for a month. He was so obviously put off by my presence in his hallowed sphere...he actually took to searching for another room for me, even as I was doing it.

Then I found out why. He works with the dot-com people, right? All of them nerds, and two-thirds of them light in the loafers.

His off-road-jeepin' buddy came by the first Saturday I was there. My brother wasn't home. Queer as a three-dollar bill...and every stereotype. Obnoxious, flaunting, and condescending.

Obviously my brother didn't want me to see the lifestyle and friends he adopted, to go with his big-money lifestyle and work.

I don't know if he's packing fudge with his friends. I don't care; but I do NOT want to deal with such people.

I haven't talked to him since our mother died. He was Executor; I inherited her house (he got her more-expensive luxury resort-rental property). I had lived with her the last two years, and it was my home. But he wanted me OUT, until the estate was liquidated. That was going to take years.

I had to sue to get the right to remain in my home, the property that I was to receive anyway. This after he even turned down my offer to pay rent to the estate. No, he wanted disruption and chaos - cuz HE HAD THE POW-AH.

Homosexuality is mental illness. And software coding seems to plug right into that demented mindset.