• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

We may not have enough food soon

the_shootist

Politically Gender Neutral
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Ronnie F******G Reagan turned them loose, when he was Gov. of Commiefornia. :totally steamed::totally steamed:
Yeah, Ronny was witty and funny but he slipped up on a number of key things that helped turn this country into what it is today, not the least of which giving in on the amnesty topic, which only continued to hurt our immigration policies and allowed our cities to be infested with Dem voters, ....a fookin mess!

He could have done much better for us on 2A also!

Funny guy tho, very witty!

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I suppose it does, but building wealth as a nomad aint easy.

A huge portion of my networth is still playing around with my initial equity. If I wouldnt of bought my first home I wouldnt be where I am today. Building the equity from the first one, selling and placing it in the next, rinse repeat is pinnacle of middle class wealth building, IMO.

Yes, it sucked and was scary initially as I had to buy when it was low due to the 2008 recession...

Theres a reason they're buying up all the single family homes and theres a reason everything is high denisty condos/apartments now. They are trying to make this option tougher...
It's a variation of the Bigger Fools theory. The assumption is that someone will buy what you have for more than you paid for it.

That's not always the case. I had a property in Erie County, New York, for five years. I STRUGGLED to sell it for what I paid for it.

Because, of course, the land there was not fashionable and didn't have the hip-trendy California expats coming in to buy.

My Cleveland home of course, sold for 10x what my father paid for it in 1963. Only 10x. And it's only appreciated a little bit since I sold it in 2009.

What happens when, say, Blackrock owns all homes, and no one can afford to live in them? Do they get rich, paying property taxes on empty homes?

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Why would you be bothered or uncomfortable in the presence of these 'homeless' panhandlers? Some of them make more money than many working people....and tax free too mind you!

Yes they do.

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's WHY they are homeless.

Because they cannot behave well enough to keep an apartment, or keep a job to keep money coming in.

Water finds its own level.

That's not always the case.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Some people dont want the responsibility of being indoors. That requires work, a job, obligations to society.

I have been homeless a few times, not in the us. It wasnt that bad really, it was warm and I had a debt card.

I wasnt strung out on drugs or destitute fwiw, just tired of my life, so I said fuck it and slept on the park bench.

I got a motel room before I left, and some new clothes and shoes, and had a haircut and shower.

Like it never happened.

:secret:

You should have seen my tan.

Joseph

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
GOOD GRIEF! People are going to be homeless. No wonder how to live in a Van has become a very popular subject on youtube.

"You will own nothing, and be happy" - Klaus Schwab

ToBeSelfEvident

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Location is everything. I was looking at real estate in the old hometown. Small-town PA. $373k will get you a 7BR/5BA 4500 sq ft brick mansion
2abc31b4c499c43051f722915812dc51-cc_ft_576.webp

Or go the cheap route for $320k. Only 5BR/5BA though.

e41bb72fbe3b77d2a1cb9e257cf87238-cc_ft_960.webp

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
They would be sweet, if they had 7 acres with em.

And a barn.

maintenence might be expensive.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
That's not always the case.
Bad schitte happens to people.

People who are rational, sober and straight, dust off their assets, and move on. It might mean living in a van for a few weeks.

Back about 1990, the last time we had political amplification of the "homeless crisis," one young woman of the time, wrote an article explaining how she got out of it. She had her car. She could get a little gas. With her credit cards, she bought a health-club membership...that gave her space, the workout rooms, and also the locker rooms. So she could bathe regularly.

A friend kept her good clothes; and she had a locker at the club. So she could interview for jobs, and did get one, relatively quickly. With that done, she had the money for sharing an apartment with someone she had mutual friends with.

Know what's missing, here? Insane rage or criminal behavior; and also, no drinking or drugs.

The ones in filthy rags, living on the street, drinking cheap whiskey out of brown bags...don't discipline themselves that way. They don't, even if someone gives them shelter (the city or a charity).

keepitlow

Silver Miner
Seeker
Reaction score
Avalon, don't believe all that you hear. Including me. BUT I am here to tell ya, living in ANY RV DOES NOT compare to a real home.
We will be so damned glad when we get into our home. It's been 18 months in this crowded POS !!!!
Yes, we are spoiled, but at my age, what's left ??? :ponder::don't    know2: :finished::dduck::dduck::dduck:

Better than living in a tent.

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score

Merkin

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Denver has had a homeless "problem" (that they have cultivated) for the last 27 years, at least.

Even in 1995, it was an issue. Bums used to sleep on the sidewalks of Broadway, near the post office, and in doorways on the 16th-Street Mall. The do-gooders at "private" shelters used to deliver the Broadway bums, box lunches every night. They'd eat the sweet rolls, and bite some of the rest, grinding the rest of the food into the sidewalk with their busted wine bottles.

They also squatted in the Platte River Greenway. Called themselves "campers." The greenway was basically beautiful; I used to jog along it; but those bums were a put-off for women and children. The winos would be bathing naked in the river, and sometimes doing more...often exhibiting themselves to get a reaction. Who the hell wants to deal with that?

Back then, it could have been stamped out quickly. But back then, Denver was in the First Stage of a California conquest.
I remember back then bumper stickers saying "Don't Californicate Colorado".

mtnman

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
It's finally getting to be up-close-and-personal.

I got the word on what my new rent is going to be. $1200, give or take a few bucks.

I still have two months on the present lease, but that's the proposal. Right now it's $850.

The new rate is over 45 percent of my income.

I'm not going to be eating a lot of steak this year.

Yes, I have stacks - plenty - but they're not to be squandered lightly. Other options are to be explored, first.
I own my place, paid in full. My taxes are $1200 a year... I like steak.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I own my place, paid in full. My taxes are $1200 a year... I like steak.
Uh-huh.

Wait until the tax-and-redistribute crowd works down to your area. Or until your area is rezoned, or until you have Reparations land redistribution, and your new neighbors are animals.

Rent isn't exploding because the landlords all suddenly discovered greed. It's exploding because property taxes are, and the pressure to live in places nicer than the liberal sumps that these hordes are fleeing.

My property taxes, on a $140,000 home in Cleveland, were $4200 a year. That's a lot of money to pay, when my work situation required I move, and I was adding up the benefits of holding versus selling.

The area I moved to, similar homes' taxes were about $800 a year. Before I could buy, though (I did in fact have earnest money down on one property) the employer (Canadian National) started moving people all around a three-state area. Because they wanted to reduce staff; we had a "No Layoffs" labor contract, and so they wanted to make people quit. They did.

And I lost that Earnest Money. And I wound up taking a trash-tour of America, with contract temporary railroad agencies and some sketchy short lines.

I can wish a lot of things. I wish I won the lottery last week. I wish I was born rich.

But owning a home would have been pure expense lo these last 14 years; and NOT moving around, would have precluded my current retirement...because I'd have had to take non-railroad employment and forfeited it.

I've actually been paid over the price of a home, since then, with Railroad Retirement...over four years, however.

There's really no way to guarantee were you, where anyone, will be when the excrement hits the blower. Sometimes you're on the side of the road, watching the massive highway pile-up. And sometimes you're IN that pile-up. You can take prudent cautions, but life has no guarantees.

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Casey Jones the one man DOOM train against property ownership strikes again .... LoL

I think you misunderstand him. He is simply telling us what has worked for him. Everyone is different.

BeefJerky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I think you misunderstand him. He is simply telling us what has worked for him. Everyone is different.

From what I am reading nothing has worked for him, regarding property, and none of it is the result of his choices.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I dunno how well its worked, he sounds miserable.......

:don't know:

love ya Casey, you must be fun at parties.
Nope.

I'm not on the A List anywhere.

Like I said above, things are what they are. Circumstances and genetics make me not-very-happy.

I could have been born not-very-smart, and then...I'd be...showing my Fauci Ouchie on Face***k and then turning up dead in bed.

So, the glass is half-full. Sure, I envy the stackers here who have paid-off homes. I just happened to get caught nekked when the tide ran out...when the actual crash came.

Nekked, in terms of property ownership. Again, could have been worse - what if I'd had savings, say, in low-yield bonds?

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
From what I am reading nothing has worked for him and none of it is the result of his choices.
I don't know. What's the logical choice? Anchor yourself with a home, when your work situation is sketchy?

I lost money in stonks, back in 2009. Now, you want me to own something? I'll own that. I had NO IDEA that destructive madcap money-printing would cause the stonk market to melt-up. Now I do, and now I know why; but I'd never seen, read about, or considered this before.

So I sold and moved to gold. I considered the possible prohibition of gold ownership, and still consider it a low risk. What I never thought was that there would be SO MANY eager private players working to hammer gold's value artificially low.

That, I won't own. It's uncharted waters. I came to a fork in the road. I took it; and the fork got jammed up my nethers.

It is just that IN THIS CURRENT SITUATION, LONG-TIME property owners are making out. In SOME areas. Not in Baltimore, or Detroit, and not really in NYC or Los Angeles.

That is more a function of luck, vis-a-vis social dynamics, than it is of forethought. Owning a home is practical if you're where you expect to be for a long period, and not, if you're going to want to be elsewhere, soon. Obviously, in my retirement, I didn't want to be in snow country, which is all the places I'd worked at.

So, owning a home was not/is not practical right now, right here, for me.

BeefJerky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I don't know. What's the logical choice? Anchor yourself with a home, when your work situation is sketchy?

I lost money in stonks, back in 2009. Now, you want me to own something? I'll own that. I had NO IDEA that destructive madcap money-printing would cause the stonk market to melt-up. Now I do, and now I know why; but I'd never seen, read about, or considered this before.

So I sold and moved to gold. I considered the possible prohibition of gold ownership, and still consider it a low risk. What I never thought was that there would be SO MANY eager private players working to hammer gold's value artificially low.

That, I won't own. It's uncharted waters. I came to a fork in the road. I took it; and the fork got jammed up my nethers.

It is just that IN THIS CURRENT SITUATION, LONG-TIME property owners are making out. In SOME areas. Not in Baltimore, or Detroit, and not really in NYC or Los Angeles.

That is more a function of luck, vis-a-vis social dynamics, than it is of forethought. Owning a home is practical if you're where you expect to be for a long period, and not, if you're going to want to be elsewhere, soon. Obviously, in my retirement, I didn't want to be in snow country, which is all the places I'd worked at.

So, owning a home was not/is not practical right now, right here, for me.

I understand you view yourself as a victim of your circumstances. Yet you still try to find fault with people's choices that sacrificed to not be a victim. Such as the story you related about your brother.

I enjoy your stories and your viewpoints though. So, I am just going to shut up and enjoy the content that you bring to the table.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Sometimes, you're just a victim of circumstance. If you get run down crossing the street in a crosswalk, by someone fleeing the cops...it's hardly your fault, and there's no point in screaming about perps in cars. Things just happen.

We've all had our moments, good, bad, and neither. I've had my luck, some of it through foresight, some through chance...but this cost-of-shelter situation caught me on the short end.

mtnman

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Uh-huh.

Wait until the tax-and-redistribute crowd works down to your area. Or until your area is rezoned, or until you have Reparations land redistribution, and your new neighbors are animals.

Rent isn't exploding because the landlords all suddenly discovered greed. It's exploding because property taxes are, and the pressure to live in places nicer than the liberal sumps that these hordes are fleeing.

My property taxes, on a $140,000 home in Cleveland, were $4200 a year. That's a lot of money to pay, when my work situation required I move, and I was adding up the benefits of holding versus selling.

The area I moved to, similar homes' taxes were about $800 a year. Before I could buy, though (I did in fact have earnest money down on one property) the employer (Canadian National) started moving people all around a three-state area. Because they wanted to reduce staff; we had a "No Layoffs" labor contract, and so they wanted to make people quit. They did.

And I lost that Earnest Money. And I wound up taking a trash-tour of America, with contract temporary railroad agencies and some sketchy short lines.

I can wish a lot of things. I wish I won the lottery last week. I wish I was born rich.

But owning a home would have been pure expense lo these last 14 years; and NOT moving around, would have precluded my current retirement...because I'd have had to take non-railroad employment and forfeited it.

I've actually been paid over the price of a home, since then, with Railroad Retirement...over four years, however.

There's really no way to guarantee were you, where anyone, will be when the excrement hits the blower. Sometimes you're on the side of the road, watching the massive highway pile-up. And sometimes you're IN that pile-up. You can take prudent cautions, but life has no guarantees.
Here in good ol' boy East Tennessee I'll be long dead before any of that comes here. We have a history of not allowing any of those problems. BTW we are .04% non white...

the_shootist

Politically Gender Neutral
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Here in good ol' boy East Tennessee I'll be long dead before any of that comes here. We have a history of not allowing any of those problems.
Same up here in God's country. The lefties will be met at the border with more firepower than they can possibly comprehend! The only reason we allow then into the state now is because they dump millions here to save from paying sales tax in Massivetwoshitts.

mtnman

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Right now it's the worst time in recent US history to buy a home. Does that conversely make it the best time to sell?
Yes, unless you have to buy a replacement...

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Has anyone lost weight yet ? How is Alex Jones, is he slimming ?

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Has anyone lost weight yet ? How is Alex Jones, is he slimming ?
P.J. O'Rourke toured the Soviet Union in the late 1980s, and wrote a few essays about the experience. He described his Intourist guide (Intourist was the government "tour agency" that doubled as police oversight)

...as, semi-attractive and very fluent in English. He, O'Rourke, talked to her casually, one day...explaining what he was doing, and asking about life in the USSR.

The girl, he wrote, gave a deep sigh. "The two hardest things, here," she said, "are, getting enough to eat, and losing weight."

I believe it. A diet high in carbs and filler, is not satisfying, and goes immediately to the waistline.

Thecrensh

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
P.J. O'Rourke toured the Soviet Union in the late 1980s, and wrote a few essays about the experience. He described his Intourist guide (Intourist was the government "tour agency" that doubled as police oversight)

...as, semi-attractive and very fluent in English. He, O'Rourke, talked to her casually, one day...explaining what he was doing, and asking about life in the USSR.

The girl, he wrote, gave a deep sigh. "The two hardest things, here," she said, "are, getting enough to eat, and losing weight."

I believe it. A diet high in carbs and filler, is not satisfying, and goes immediately to the waistline.
This I believe...

Usury

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Went to Costco yesterday. Where’s the dogfood I asked. Sorry, bruh, we’ve been out for two weeks.

Ruh Roh Raggy!!!

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
If even half of what this truck driver is talkin' about comes to pass, it ain't gonna be good.

@Mujahideen , you hearin' anything like what this guy is saying?

8:23

NEW CRISIS That Will Affect EVERYONE In 1 to 2 WEEKS​

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Where I live, we are not getting irrigation water this year. That means no food planted and no food harvested. Huge potato and onion shortage coming.

goldielox1

Silver Miner
Seeker
Reaction score
good, what it takes for the American people to rise up against tyranny will be empty bellies. That's the only thing that will get them off the couch!
Perect. Let the useful idiots do the work of the patriots, while the forward thinking patriots can sit on their couches eating their stock of food.