• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

We need a new system for measuring time.

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Here is my proposal - a metric system that enables easier time accounting, global equality, and solar harmony:

1. Eliminate time zones. The globe will have identical clocks. Yes, this means that the date will change during daylight hours for some people. Get over it.
2. 10 hour days, 100 minute hours, 100 second minutes. This second will be slightly faster than our current second.
3. No time changes. Ever.
4. No such thing as "regular business hours." We are living in a global economy in the Internet age. It doesn't matter anymore. Businesses can choose when to open and close their doors as they currently do, and employees can negotiate when they schedule their working hours.
5. Eliminate months. We can just use the corresponding week number. My company already does this.

Our current system is antiquated and clunky. It's time for a modern global standard.

mtnman

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Uh, I'm pretty sure the worlds time keeping is based on the earths rotation around the sun. Maybe you want to change that?

Earth's Rotation and the Apparent Daily Motion of the Sky

The earth rotates about an imaginary line that passes through the North and South Poles of the planet. This line is called the axis of rotation. Earth rotates about this axis once each day (approximately 24 hours). Although you most likely already knew that fact, there is a slight complication most people are not aware of.

More specifically, our rotation period (the time elapsed for one rotation) with respect to the stars is called a sidereal day. A sidereal day is 24 sidereal hours, or 23 hours and 56 minutes on a normal clock. Our clock time is based on the earth's rotation with respect to the sun from solar noon to solar noon. This is a solar day, and it is divided into 24 hours. Because Earth travels about 1 / 365 of the way around the sun during one day, there is a small difference between solar time and sidereal time.

The earth takes about 1/365 of a day or about 4 minutes more to get into the </FONT>same
position with respect to the sun after it reaches the same position with respect to the stars. We use sun-based time because it is more important to most of us whether the Sun is up than whether a given star is up. Those who care which star is up (like astronomers) may also use sidereal time.
http://www.polaris.iastate.edu/NorthStar/Unit3/unit3_sub1.htm

Ebie

Midas Member
Midas Member
They tried going with a metric calendar during the French revolution--did not work.
But, your system is different than that.
Interesting

Last edited:

mtnman

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
A New World Order

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
I live and work by the sun which seems to me has always been the best system.
My son asked me this weekend why Sask. doesn't change the clocks like everyone else. I gave him the simple answer ... because the cows never learned to read clocks.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I live and work by the sun which seems to me has always been the best system.
I agree. My animules were all confused yesterday. The outside critters were hiding from the torrential rain but the house shitters (inside dogs) were majoring on hysteria.

Fiat Metaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Here is my proposal - a metric system that enables easier time accounting, global equality, and solar harmony:

2. 10 hour days, 100 minute hours, 100 second minutes. This second will be slightly faster than our current second.
Yes, a second will be 15% faster under your system, but an minute will be 43% longer and an hour about 2.5 times as long.

as for eliminating months, well your system is no better than the current system. 365.25 is not divisible by 52.

solar harmony does not result because (1) nature provides a different amount of solar activity on each day which varies depending on the season and weather, and (2) which varies geographically due to night and day. The current system does a decent job of providing solar harmony geographically; better than your proposal would imho.

Thornapple

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
OBilly, has the right idea. If we're going to redo time, then we should pick a system that works anywhere. If you think global time is a pain right now, think how bad it'll be when we have space travel.

Mujahideen

Bin Laden double.
Midas Member
Site Supporter

1. Eliminate time zones. The globe will have identical clocks. Yes, this means that the date will change during daylight hours for some people. Get over it.
3. No time changes. Ever.
4. No such thing as "regular business hours." We are living in a global economy in the Internet age. It doesn't matter anymore. Businesses can choose when to open and close their doors as they currently do, and employees can negotiate when they schedule their working hours.
5. Eliminate months. We can just use the corresponding week number. My company already does this.

Our current system is antiquated and clunky. It's time for a modern global standard.
I don't like "global standards". It's convenient for the globalists.

Next thing you know someone will propose a global language and a global religion.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Get rid of Daylight Savings Time or shrink it to May-September. It was dark at 7am today and I work at 6am. How does that save me any light?

mtnman

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Get rid of Daylight Savings Time or shrink it to May-September. It was dark at 7am today and I work at 6am. How does that save me any light?
DST is for those of us who sleep late, Sorry...

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Sorry to say it, but you're too late. Time does not exist. As Einstein already determined, time is but a persistent illusion. For that matter, so is matter.
Time is .... o crap over load of concept....burnt all the popcorn in the warp drive.

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Sorry to say it, but you're too late. Time does not exist. As Einstein already determined, time is but a persistent illusion. For that matter, so is matter.
Amazing stuff, for sure. Hard to wrap the mind around.

Here's a couple vids on the subject.
A short one.

...and a longer one that's well worth the time.

Edited to add: as far as DST is concerned, I think we should either just leave it on DST all year round, or set the clocks 30 minutes back this coming Fall and never change them again. This going back and forth a full hour twice a year is for the birds!

mtnman

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Now days, when my belly growls, it's time to eat. When I get tired, it's time to sit. When I get sleepy, it's time to sleep. Time, don't over think it.

Carl

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
The idea behind daylight savings time was to give people more time to play in the sun. Go to work earlier, get off earlier, more daylight to play in. Then they came up with the bright idea to move the jobs offshore so more people would have more time to enjoy the summer playing without a pesky job getting in the way.

Alric

Midas Member
Midas Member
Some of that seems rather extreme, but I have always been an advocate of the first one. I don't see any reason we can't all have a single time zone, it just makes sense for coordinating stuff across earth, which people do all the time. I am pretty sure people would get used to it in just a few weeks. It isn't that difficult to adjust. Daylight savings is pretty silly too. Do we really need to change times to get more daylight? Can't you just go into work an hour earlier or whatever?

There is no real reason not to all use the same time zone all the time, other than people are just used to the current system. Though I am very confident people can adjust quickly. There is clocks, cellphones and watches every where, people will figure it out fast.

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
If we're going to make changes, I could go for 3 day weekemds

Brio

Midas Member
Midas Member
It's time for a modern global standard.
Americans couldn't agree 10x10x10 equals 1000 is easier than 12" x 1y x 1760 y2 of land which is a section. And then you invented common core! :dduck:

Ebie

Midas Member
Midas Member
Funny!
The idea behind daylight savings time was to give people more time to play in the sun. Go to work earlier, get off earlier, more daylight to play in. Then they came up with the bright idea to move the jobs offshore so more people would have more time to enjoy the summer playing without a pesky job getting in the way.

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I find it interesting that IN YOUR METRIC TIME SYSTEM, you start with the non-metric second, but
'modify it' to FIT into your metric scheme. You start your whole thesis with a 'second' which is NOT metric and then explain why you modified the REST OT TIME KEEPING to fit your theme. Sorry, but will you rewrite all the manuals on NAVIGATION (not GPS based) to fit your system? I doubt it, you will say that method is antiquated. And it is. WHY? Because it has worked for a LOOONNGG time. I also love the last line of the article on DST... Read it and understand WHY DST is such a bad idea.

Beside, clocks are but a con to allow the Swiss to sell clocks.

On the subject of DST? Read about WHY Nixon said he did it. I THINK THE 'EMERGENCY IS OVER', don't you?

Nixon’s Daylight Saving Time Still Controversial After 43 Years

The United States, at 2:00 AM on March 13, lost one hour to comply with President Richard M. Nixon’s still controversial “Emergency Daylight Saving Time Energy Conservation Act of 1973.”
Daylight Savings Time still remains a big negative to many U.S. government agencies and health experts, according to a recent report by telegram.com. “The Fatal Accident Reporting System found a 17 percent increase in traffic fatalities on the Monday after the shift,” fatal motor vehicle accidents remain elevated for the first six days after the clocks spring ahead, and a recent study suggests that the time change may even increase the risk of stroke.

One of Nixon’s least remembered legislative achievements, but potentially most important, was reinstating Daylight Savings Time. America had tried a similar experiment in 1918, but DST caused such dissent that it was quickly repealed in 1919.

Richard Nixon kicked off his presidency in 1969 with a State of the Union Address that detailed a 37-point message on the American environment. Nixon set goals ranging from monitoring motor vehicle emissions standards to halting all dumping in the Great Lakes. Nixon would eventually pass a dizzying array of environmental legislation, including establishing the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as a newly created, independent agency.

After campaigning against the power of big government, President Nixon passed and imposed widespread wage and price freezes and ended the convertibility of the dollar into gold by floating the exchange rate of the currency in 1971. To justify his interventions in the economy, Nixon said in August 1971, “We are all Keynesians now.”

Crude oil prices had been steadily falling during Nixon’s Administration when he took credit for oil hitting a 25-year low of $2.90 a barrel in July 1973. But then all hell broke loose in October, when members of the Organization of Arab Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) announced an oil embargo. By December, the price of crude had quadrupled to $11.65 a barrel.

With the President and Congress desperate to look effective, they passed a 2-year “Emergency Daylight Saving Time Energy Conservation Act.” President Nixon personally promised year-round daylight saving time would produce substantial “energy saving in electrical power consumption and the unnecessary use of electric lights.”

The Administration also claimed that DST “could have other beneficial effects on the public interest, including the reduction of crime, improved traffic safety, more daylight outdoor playtime for the children and youth of our Nation, greater utilization of parks and recreation areas, expanded economic opportunity through extension of daylight hours to peak shopping hours and through extension of domestic office hours.”

But what started off as an crisis measure has lasted for 43 years. As far as the projected big saving in electricity, the National Bureau of Standards in 1976 found that there was no significant energy savings from daylight savings time in its first 2 years.

Sleep experts worry that the circadian rhythm cycle does not need to be disrupted twice a year. They argue that our internal clocks are set by the time of natural light changes throughout the year, and forcing a time change can have long-term effects.

There are also negative economic impacts from DST, beyond the number of people who did not remember to change their clocks twice a year and arrive early or late.

Since train and transport schedules cannot be easily adjusted, Amtrak idles trains and passengers for one hour to keep on schedule in the fall and then tries to make up an hour in the spring by speeding up.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...ving-time-still-controversial-after-43-years/

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Awww how quaint.....So this was or that was the dog and pony show. I get it now, well some of it.

Our sawbucks were in percentage wise redeemable with gold. But not for you or eye, nope for a country that held them. Essentially the Vietnam conflict had drained the gold coffers. Now take opec holding dollars and...why you get the picture, do you not?

I will say this once more....tricky dick fudged it for my dad. This ecology kick had been ramping up for a while and the man had sold a house in gardena Calif. He sunk the equity into Honeywell. And, then they relaxed the smog control epa crap and all those non Bering percentage wise dollars when down into the outhouse and bull dozed over and flattened.

So, in a sense tricky dick was saving the American sheeple value on their soon to be worthless greenback by implementing daylight savings.....we just didn't know it.....Well not till now...20/20 hind sight....Well we could have 20/20 for sight but most of us had our vitamins chopped off....So that negates that.

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Don't change 'Dicks' in the middle of a screw, vote for Nixon in '72...

You had to be alive and at least 18 during that time frame to remember that one...

And no, Nixon did NO ONE ANY FAVORS EVER. Neither did LBJ.

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Americans couldn't agree 10x10x10 equals 1000 is easier than 12" x 1y x 1760 y2 of land which is a section. And then you invented common core! :dduck:
Yea but we didint invent your income tax plus plus your neighbors income tax plus your neighbors neighbors income tax plus some premiums plus government subsidies = FREE HEALTH CARE

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Don't change 'Dicks' in the middle of a screw, vote for Nixon in '72...

You had to be alive and at least 18 during that time frame to remember that one...

And no, Nixon did NO ONE ANY FAVORS EVER. Neither did LBJ.
Awhhhhh so true, so true.

And lay off the beer babe....not her fault where she was born....

Edit: not poking at u Wallew..
Just rusty.... it's like wtf rust gots a thing against where ppl were borned?

Last edited:

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Time is the least of our concerns. This sounds more like a solution looking for a problem. The only time issues I have is DST and the fact that all major sporting events are held a a time that favors California and punishes those East of the Mississppi (who make up the majority of sports watch).

Alric

Midas Member
Midas Member
Time is the least of our concerns. This sounds more like a solution looking for a problem. The only time issues I have is DST and the fact that all major sporting events are held a a time that favors California and punishes those East of the Mississppi (who make up the majority of sports watch).
I run into this problem all the time. If you do anything live on the internet, like meeting up with people to chat or do something online this crops up all the because it is very rare that a group of people on the internet are all in the same time zone. The issue happens to me pretty much every week where I need to adjust time zones.

Now, if that was the only time, I could live with it. It isn't a big issue. When you get into business related stuff, it is a much bigger problem however. Especially if you are then shipping or flying over seas. Also if there is some event going on overseas, or across country even, it is easy to get the time wrong because you need to always adjust those times.

At the end of the day, adjusting the time isn't a big deal but it is annoying and there is no reason for it. If we all had the same time zone, no one would ever have to adjust for time zones ever again, and there isn't any real downside.

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Anyone that says noon is midnight fits right in with the Ministry of Truth. The sun still dictates time and how we function as we are essentially diurnal beings. If I show up at work at 9am in indiana and the time is the same in California and I need to order something from there, I highly doubt the company is even open as it is still dark an their staff is in bed. So I wait till noon so the California staff is now up and onsite to service me. How is that different then what we do now?

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Anyone that says noon is midnight fits right in with the Ministry of Truth. The sun still dictates time and how we function as we are essentially diurnal beings. If I show up at work at 9am in indiana and the time is the same in California and I need to order something from there, I highly doubt the company is even open as it is still dark an their staff is in bed. So I wait till noon so the California staff is now up and onsite to service me. How is that different then what we do now?
Oh come on rusty..it's 5'o'clock somewhere.....nobody wants to ruin that. Me? Why thank you I will have my barley soup from a can for breakfast.

Alric

Midas Member
Midas Member
The difference is if the guy in California says they are busy and to please call back at 3:30 pm you know exactly what time that is and there is no issue of did he mean 3:30 pm his time, or your time? Then of course, the guy in California is telling himself, "Wait is Indiana central or eastern time" And he doesn't even realize that it is a trick question. Indiana is both of them depending on which part of the state you are in.

Seriously, way to go in picking Indiana as an example of how it can be confusing. A state that is in two time zones at once.

Any way, if you have to do what you said no matter which system we use, but the confusing stuff I mention only happens in the current system, then it would seem the second system is better.

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I work for a global company based in Europe. We are regularly scheduling online meetings for multiple time zones that are up to 14 hours different. This presents a challenge verifying that everyone's calendar is open before scheduling. Especially right now because Europe didn't change their clocks for "Summer Time" when we went to DST.

Of course it is natural and healthy to wake and sleep based upon the sun. I'm not saying that should change. Around the world everyone could be on the same time (no AM or PM) and be awake for a different 6.5 hour portion of the 10 hour clock.

I also agree that the 7 day week should remain. Attempts to change this have been big failures.

Having the clock be metric (decimal) would make calculations and time notations be much simpler and intuitive.

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Oh come on rusty..it's 5'o'clock somewhere.....nobody wants to ruin that. Me? Why thank you I will have my barley soup from a can for breakfast.
Under this plan it will never be 5 oclock some where. Only once a day. No excuse to drink but one time a day.

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
The difference is if the guy in California says they are busy and to please call back at 3:30 pm you know exactly what time that is and there is no issue of did he mean 3:30 pm his time, or your time? Then of course, the guy in California is telling himself, "Wait is Indiana central or eastern time" And he doesn't even realize that it is a trick question. Indiana is both of them depending on which part of the state you are in.

Seriously, way to go in picking Indiana as an example of how it can be confusing. A state that is in two time zones at once.

Any way, if you have to do what you said no matter which system we use, but the confusing stuff I mention only happens in the current system, then it would seem the second system is better.
And he wants me to call at 330? We close at 3 cuz we start at 6. The sun dictates our working hours.

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
SLV I am against the Europeanization of America. Barry has tried to force that crap down our throats constantly.

As far as time zones? Just say what time zone you are in. Works just fine in Indiana. We dont say 300 pm except in casual conversations. In business talkk we say 3pm Eastern or 300pm Central.

again solution looking for a problem.