• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What’s Cracking In The Garden 2019

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Shelled a five gallon bucket of peas this eve and I still think it is one of the most enjoyable jobs. Eating toons and rasps by the quart and even get to pick with the neighbors. Onion I had at dinner time was a mite hot.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
If it were me id pile the shit in the shade, and tarp it, then after garden season work it into the garden. Any poo left exposed to the elements loses its nutritional value, and I wouldnt risk burning plants by topdressing with it.

or..........

you could mix it w straw, compost it, then grow mushrooms on it, then incorporate the spent compost into the garden.
It's in black garbage bags atm. Will that do it any harm for a little while (anaerobic)?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Things can get away from you fast.
I had a 3 week spell where I didn't do any garden maintenance & the formerly picturesque plot is much less so.
Seeing the brown silk on the sweet corn got my attention & now I'm back at it.
I trimmed off all but 6 inches of the green bean stalks to encourage fresh growth for a fall crop.
Tilled a fresh spot to get some lettuce in. (sad to say this should have been done weeks ago & all lettuce has bolted & is bitter.
I was doing weekly copper spraying on the pepper plants & thought I had the bacteria leaf disease beat, but my laziness messed me up.
Still plenty to eat & freeze, but if this was a "make money at the market crop", I'd be in trouble.
I'm going to hit those suckers this afternoon.
Here's what I brought in this morning:
P1010001.JPG

These are "giant something or other 3 lobe types. They all get this big. Not as sweet as a Cal Bell.

P1010002.JPG

Here's the pepper disease. It's a pain in the butt. At this stage you can just cut out the bad spot & eat. But if growing for market yer fucked.

P1010003.JPG

Last edited:

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Fecking mosquitoes are bad as I have seen in 9 years......

On top of that , I emptied 250 gal stock tank this spring so there is supposed to be less of those critters..

And I always used mosquito dunks...maybe I need to bring back the stock tank.?....

First sweet corn was delicious!....

51ED3883-F693-4B79-B743-993A149A68CF.jpeg
DC8ECAE1-0816-49DB-A796-7B1905F1E11A.jpeg

Fecking storms last night.....

2853A202-D273-42DB-9265-6A3A5CC02276.jpeg

D314C1F9-1B94-4B2A-909B-9BDAD0917448.jpeg

6B355F8C-CFA5-4604-8B81-3ECD31CE75FA.jpeg

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
It's amazing how them plants heal. Our corn won't be edible for a month or more. Dang I can almost smell/taste that. I was hoeing in the garden last eve and found a hornets nest under a spud plant. Then the wife found one in a deer skull in the flower garden. guess it's a good year for them rotten bastids.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
It's amazing how them plants heal. Our corn won't be edible for a month or more. Dang I can almost smell/taste that. I was hoeing in the garden last eve and found a hornets nest under a spud plant. Then the wife found one in a deer skull in the flower garden. guess it's a good year for them rotten bastids.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
It would be if he didnt tie it down..........id guess 7 ft. The mortuary isnt a very good gauge.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Fecking mosquitoes are bad as I have seen in 9 years......

On top of that , I emptied 250 gal stock tank this spring so there is supposed to be less of those critters..

And I always used mosquito dunks...maybe I need to bring back the stock tank.?....

First sweet corn was delicious!....
Nice plants ya got there cracker.

On the mosquito issue, there's a beekeeper on 'utube says he puts a few goldfish in his tanks he stores water in for use in the bee yard for a local water source for his bees. Not sure if it'd work for you, but I'm not gonna put any in my swimming pool, though I might think about putting a few in my garden water tank. I have more trouble with algae in that than I do mosquitoes.

We have had more normal weather here the last couple weeks. Rain today, garden and figs needed that, but looks like not much coming our way for another week. I checked the rain gauge earlier, a half an inch, has rained since I looked, but it looks to be moving east toward that cigar guy now.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I've finally got green tomatoes on my plants. Peppers are about to pop too. *rubs hands together

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I mentioned how the brown silk on my sweet corn (Argent) got my attention.
So today I got on it.
Went out & picked & husked & got most of the silk off before bringing inside where it is (thank you baby Jesus) air conditioned.
Last year the deer left me with only 6 ears to eat out of 4 rows, I shit you not.
This year they left me alone (thanks to my new solar lit scarecrow & the talk radio that plays at night.
This is about half what's out there.
P1010003.JPG

scrubbed em off

P1010006.JPG

Got my stuff ready

Turkey roaster

P1010008.JPG

Corn knife & tupperware

P1010007.JPG

Started blanching a dozen at a time
P1010001.JPG

Then chill in ice water

P1010002.JPG

Drain & jam those ears on the rusty nail & cut the corn off the cob. (love that corn knife)

P1010004 (1).JPG

I collected containers in the fridge as I went, then at the end of day, transferred to the chest freezer.

P1010007 (1).JPG

All told took me about 8 hours...
Tomorrow I'll get the other half of what's out there.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I've finally got green tomatoes on my plants. Peppers are about to pop too. *rubs hands together
My plants are loaded. Tried something new this year, dryland gardening. My tomatoes are 4' apart in rows 6' apart. I howed and tilled every weed in the garden, its bare dirt with the crust broke to catch every drop of rain. No mulch, just the broken crust. its actually mulch, becuase working the top inch or 2 breaks the cappillary commection to the soil beneath. So far so good. I only watered them once when I planted em. We have had no eain for almost 3 weeks, when I dig down in the soil theres lots of moisture. Its pretty suprising really. Where I live you have to water, so so 'they' say.........and I could it needbe. next year im going to do the whole garden this way. The idea comes from the plant spacing chapter in the book 'gardening when it counts'. There is quite a discussion about dryland veggie farming.

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Is the corn knife adjustable?..
The stainless blades are a spring steel that flex a little, and the green handle opens as you push down the cob., so it sort of self adjusts for cob diameter, opening a little as it gets bigger.
On a small ear, or at the small end when you start, you can press the 2 green handle ends tighter to compensate as well.
I usually do one first money shot, then several "clean the goop off the cob" passes.

Attachments

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
My plants are loaded. Tried something new this year, dryland gardening. My tomatoes are 4' apart in rows 6' apart. I howed and tilled every weed in the garden, its bare dirt with the crust broke to catch every drop of rain. No mulch, just the broken crust. its actually mulch, becuase working the top inch or 2 breaks the cappillary commection to the soil beneath. So far so good. I only watered them once when I planted em. We have had no eain for almost 3 weeks, when I dig down in the soil theres lots of moisture. Its pretty suprising really. Where I live you have to water, so so 'they' say.........and I could it needbe. next year im going to do the whole garden this way. The idea comes from the plant spacing chapter in the book 'gardening when it counts'. There is quite a discussion about dryland veggie farming.
I'm assuming that land is flat.
If I tried that here, my topsoil would be in the next county.
I can sort of understand if the top layer is powder, it would insulate the lower moisture, but I don't get how the powder would help any rain that you do have "get down to" the lower layer.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I mentioned how the brown silk on my sweet corn (Argent) got my attention.
So today I got on it.
Went out & picked & husked & got most of the silk off before bringing inside where it is (thank you baby Jesus) air conditioned.
Last year the deer left me with only 6 ears to eat out of 4 rows, I shit you not.
This year they left me alone (thanks to my new solar lit scarecrow & the talk radio that plays at night.
This is about half what's out there.
View attachment 137634

scrubbed em off

View attachment 137635

Got my stuff ready

Turkey roaster

View attachment 137636

Corn knife & tupperware

View attachment 137637

Started blanching a dozen at a time View attachment 137638

Then chill in ice water

View attachment 137639

Drain & jam those ears on the rusty nail & cut the corn off the cob. (love that corn knife)

View attachment 137640

I collected containers in the fridge as I went, then at the end of day, transferred to the chest freezer.

View attachment 137641

All told took me about 8 hours...
Tomorrow I'll get the other half of what's out there.
fargin fabulous

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
If I hadn't actually seen a photograph of Spinal's sequoia, I would have difficulty believing that relatives of the moldy little one-foot high plants I grew to feed to wildlife around Chateau Snedeker could possibly grow that big.

(*sigh*)

Between root-rot, leaf mold, bugs, and finally: creachy-poos that EAT the fargin plants down to, and including the roots...

(*sigh*)

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Ok I couldn't wait any longer to eat this sucker.
I live on the old home place.
As a kid about 6 feet from this tree was where I made my first tree house.
The apple tree was part of a then 100 year old apple orchard in the pasture where we had steers out in the summer.
This last tree (I guess some kind of Summer Rambo) was finally dying, about a 4' diameter trunk rotted out but still producing a few apples each year.
The root system sent up a shoot, & on a whim, I tried whip grafting for the first time.
Looks like it worked out.
The apple tasted very Granny Smith like in tartness, but unlike the Granny, it browns quickly when cut open.
P1010001 (1).JPG
P1010004 (1).JPG

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
J-A (2) - Copy.JPG

Green Beans in full force, Cucumber harvest begins.

J-A (1) - Copy.JPG

Harvested the remaining Garlic, ~60 bulbs in all.

J-A (4) - Copy.JPG

A few days later. More of the same with some additional odds and ends. Heirloom peppers and tomatoes taking their sweet time, but we'll be overrun by tomatoes in another week or 2. Good luck out there folks.

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
View attachment 137990
Green Beans in full force, Cucumber harvest begins.

View attachment 137991
Harvested the remaining Garlic, ~60 bulbs in all.

View attachment 137992
A few days later. More of the same with some additional odds and ends. Heirloom peppers and tomatoes taking their sweet time, but we'll be overrun by tomatoes in another week or 2. Good luck out there folks.
Those are pretty good size carrots for this early in the year. (I've never had much luck with carrots)
I like the looks of the purple peppers. Still green inside correct?
Between worms & whiteflys, I gave up on broccoli, more power to ya.

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Those are pretty good size carrots for this early in the year. (I've never had much luck with carrots)
I like the looks of the purple peppers. Still green inside correct?
Between worms & whiteflys, I gave up on broccoli, more power to ya.
Pulling a few carrots here and there for snacking and salads as they mature...some are perfect, others not so much. They need loose soil. Here in the Upper Midwest, "muck farming" was the carrot soil in peat and muck in drained marshes back in the old days...until the dry, drained peat cought fire, burned, and ruined the soil.

The heirloom peppers are "purple beauty," an heirloom variety. Yes, mostly green on the inside.

Our broccoli peaked about a month ago with beautiful heads like you would buy in the store. Just mini-heads being produced now. Letting the plants grow as they are taking up space that weeds would otherwise grab...any miniscule, harvestable broccoli is just bonus at this point.

Waiting patiently for more Peppers and Tomatoes; then Eggplant, Onions, Squash and others. Good luck out there folks.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Hung out last night with my friend who gave me this seasons starts. We made a stir fry with this little harvest and it was one of the best meals I've ever had! Paired it with some black beans and corn tortillas.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Not just in sammichs, also good on tacos, we been eating them for a while.
...and salads and burgers and raw with a sprinkle of salt and eggs and....

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Toms are getting close!

Peppers are getting ready to pop. Terrible pictrue but you get the idea.