• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What’s Cracking In The Garden 2019

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I agree. This time of year is awesome. So much good produce to eat. Sadly my yellow pear tomatoes did not make it from seed. I love those things!

Been eating jalapenos, tomatoes, onions, potatoes celery, Anaheim peppers, green peppers. Dug another potato plant today, 10 or so decent potatoes. Seem so to me I had more in previous years.

Storm last night knocked down a pepper plant, cabbage plant, damaged 2 tomato plants and dropped several ripening tomatoes. Also one of my antennas, a few tree branches and damaged the top of my fire pit by blowing it into my retaining wall.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Just got these pics from Mom's garden in CT

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Not really anything new to report. Tomatoes are peaking, cucumbers and eggplant still ripping, green beans and peppers doing ok. Juiced so many surplus tomatoes that resulted in ~200 oz of juice with many more to go than can be canned, made into pasta sauce, salsa etc.. Onions might be ready to harvest this week . Planted some lettuce and spinach seed for fall harvest...any other stuff we should plant for fall harvest? Good luck out there folks.

82519 002 - 2.JPG

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Man I love me some fried okra , green tomatoes , and onions....

View attachment 139492
I was introduced to fried okra about 50 years ago by my best bud's Southern Belle (clang-clang you all) wifelet. She was told by Himself that okra was sorta yukky and slimy -- dumb Yankee that I was.

Amazingly, fried okra damn near replicates the taste of the best fried clams. TINS. I have LOVED fried okra ever since that day.

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Great stuff everyone.

Still eating as much tomato and peppers as I can. I noticed my food gets really, really good when I bury my food in jalapenos.

Maybe this will be the fall I finally plant some garlic. Funny thing though, I have just became susceptible to garlic dermatitis. I thought I had burned myself but since learned it happens when I handle garlic, specifically when I slide it off of the knife after chopping it. I tried using my finger instead of my thumb as a test and now my finger has the same condition.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
J32 , you deserve several good years in a row , ya all earned it!...

Plant that garlic Eric!.....then come on over and help me plant mine!...

We have dodged the hail so far this year , fingers crossed for the next 30-45 days so fall crops can come in....

9883703F-243E-4253-9040-6C2F3A27267B.jpeg

E5D3F479-9B82-4D24-947E-E890E56857DF.jpeg

B898F269-6C39-49F4-9523-79C08F8F9033.jpeg

7E4A569A-2F62-4109-824A-0257E9F3230E.jpeg

9FFE06E9-2706-4E6C-8B8B-2F749372B296.jpeg

D770E967-3BBB-49F4-BC4A-B8852CCBD511.jpeg

4DA2B456-579D-4D20-BDD4-0E23CE6B57D7.jpeg

6219BF7C-2335-4D9D-86A2-3E674F1A8D9C.jpeg

55FAC92F-6ABC-4BCD-929E-D8C9B62CAF6A.jpeg

2288A82C-2C20-4638-9F4E-010C3E089B5A.jpeg

We all know what this fecker pecker is thinking...

27E1553A-70BE-486C-8380-BF599FFDFE5C.jpeg

These girls are incognito......

7BAD41D7-26A3-4378-BFB4-5EC11059703B.jpeg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Last edited:

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Jeeeebus!!

Did you guys see Spinal's fargin weed sequoia???!!! I could take the trunk and turn bowls out on a lathe. Big ones.

I need to steal some of his magic chickums!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Tis the season for the house to smell great. Peach's, pears, plums and pickles canned when I walked in last night. Tomatoes today. Why oh why do they all have to be ready at the same Fn time. I could live on any of them for a month by they lonesome but ohno I gotta piggit out now.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Finally picked my first big tom of the season. Some kind of colorful heirloom. My buddies have been rainbow colored.

A few cuts off my aloe that I gave to a friend.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
HEY!!! I can grow aloe!!!

Aloe grows great down here. My only problem is that my lawn beaners weed-whack the sumbitches because they dunno what the dang things are.

Every. Fargin. Time.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
HEY!!! I can grow aloe!!!

Aloe grows great down here. My only problem is that my lawn beaners weed-whack the sumbitches because they dunno what the dang things are.

Every. Fargin. Time.
Sounds like you might oughta entertain creating an area free of creechy-poos and landscapers to grow all them things you be hemmin and hawin about.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Found out what toms I've got growing... "Hillbilly" and "Krim"

Description/Taste

Hillbilly tomatoes are a massive beefsteak variety, each fruit averaging one or two pounds. They are ribbed with a smooth glossy skin, and are bright yellow in color with red marbling. The dense interior flesh is virtually seedless, orange-yellow and mottled with red, with a texture somewhat similar to a peach. Its flavor is very sweet and almost fruity, with apricot notes and very low acidity. Hillbilly tomatoes are crack resistant and very heat tolerant. The high-yielding, indeterminate tomato plants produce the sweet and juicy fruit on long vines, reaching heights of five to ten feet.

Seasons/Availability

Hillbilly tomatoes are available in the summer and fall.

Current Facts

Hillbilly tomatoes are a variety of Solanum lycopersicum that are categorized as beefsteak tomatoes because of their large size and dense texture. The Hillbilly tomato is also known as the Flame tomato. There are said to be two types of Hillbilly tomato plants, one being the potato leaf, characterized by leaves that are large, teardrop shaped, and dark green, and another that has regular, small and serrated leaves. The two types are reportedly identical except for their foliage.

Nutritional Value

Tomatoes contain a great deal of Vitamin A and Vitamin C. The Vitamin B and potassium in tomatoes makes them effective at reducing cholesterol levels and lowering blood pressure, and the fiber, potassium, vitamin C and choline content in tomatoes also support heart health. A number of studies have been conducted that indicate that the high levels of lycopene, the antioxidant that expresses itself in red pigmentation, in tomatoes works to reduce your chances of developing prostate, colorectal, and stomach cancer.

Applications

Hillbilly tomatoes best exhibit their vibrant flavor and natural sweetness when sliced raw in thick slabs. Like most beefsteak types, they are the perfect size and texture for slicing fresh onto sandwiches. They can be lightly brushed with olive oil, grilled for a couple minutes, or until charred and heated through, and served in a salad or atop a burger. Tomatoes are also great for roasting, and they pair well with soft cheeses and savory herbs. Store tomatoes at room temperature until ripe. Refrigeration can then be used to slow the process of decay.

Ethnic/Cultural Info

The Hillbilly tomato is a family heirloom variety originating from West Virginia of the United States as early as the 1880s. Like all heirlooms, it is an open pollinated cultivar, meaning that saved seed being passed down through family generations grows true to the original parent type.

Geography/History

The Hillbilly tomato originates from the mountains of West Virginia. Ohio gardener Jerry Lee Bosner introduced this seed to Seed Savers Exchange for commercial use in 1994. The Hillbilly tomato has reportedly grown well in many areas across the United States, notably in California and states in the Midwest and the South. Tomatoes are not at all hardy and need warm weather to grow well. They cannot stand any frost, and so it is crucial that they be planted only after the danger of frost is gone.

How to Grow Black Krim Tomatoes

The deep red-purple, almost black, green-shouldered variety of tomatoes known as "Black Krim" (Solanum lycopersicum) originated in Krim, Russia, near the Black Sea. This heirloom tomato grows on 4- to 7-foot vines, producing numerous 6- to 12-ounce globe-shaped fruits. Fans of the "Black Krim" rave about the rich, salty flavor of its fruits. In a cool-weather test conducted by the University of California's Master Gardeners in Half Moon Bay, California, "Black Krim" was one of the four successful tomatoes, although it required up to 50 percent longer to ripen than the average 70 to 75 days required in warm climates.

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
My tomatoes are in pretty sad shape. After the storm damage I had to prune off quite a bit, possibly too much on some of the plants because now the tomatoes are shriveling black instead of ripening. Half of my plants seem to be recovering now. Luckily still producing enough to eat.

I am eating jalapenos in everything and enjoying the hell out of it. Made a breakfast burrito for lunch which included onion, jalapeno, yellow pepper, tomato, tarragon and potato from the garden.

Today I am going to plant some lettuce just to see what I get out of it. The earlier lettuce all went to seed early when it got unusually hot.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
If I ate the stuff you guys do, I'd be Jerry Lewis singing. Why all the peppers? Is it something that started long ago to disguise the tainted eat from living in the warmth? Frick HP sauce makes me sneeze for hours.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
10 Amazing Health Benefits to Eating Hot Peppers [Scientifically Proven]

POSTED ON JUNE 22, 2018
Hot Peppers Health Benefits
hot chili pepper health benefits

The documented health benefits from hot peppers continues to grow at a break-neck speed, similar to the increasing popularity of consuming hot foods in various forms. The heat and health benefits comes from a chemical called capsaicin.

Historically, spicy additions to food helped prevent spoilage in warm climates before the invention of refrigeration. Capsaicin’s anti-microbial properties inhibit as much as 75% of bacteria growth. People from cultures who lived and survived due to the use of various spices passed down to the next of kin spicy recipes and taste buds desiring extra zing in food.

Adding hot peppers, hot sauces and hot powders to food continues to protect us from food poisoning even though we now refrigerate food. To maximize these health benefits, eating the hottest pepper would magnify these effects.

Below are 10 health benefits of hot peppers.

1. Benefits the Digestive Tract
This may sound counter-intuitive, but the capsaicin in peppers actually act as an anti-irritant. People with ulcers have been told for years to avoid hot spicy foods, but research has revealed that peppers are beneficial to ulcers.

For example, pepper powder provides trace amounts of anti-oxidants and other chemicals to aid digestive issues such as, healing an upset stomach, reducing intestinal gas, curing diarrhea and acting as a natural remedy for cramps.

It does this by reducing the acidity in the digestive tract that causes ulcers. It also helps produce saliva and stimulates gastric juices aiding digestion.

2. Promotes a Healthy Heart
hot pepper heart health

It also aids the circulatory system and prevents heart disease by lowering blood serum cholesterol and reduces lipid deposits, and therefore, reverses excessive blood clotting. It also dilates the blood vessels to aid in blood flow.

3. Mitigates Migraines
Have you ever had a pain on a body part that was your sole focus until you had another pain that was even worse? The original pain simply disappeared when your brain focused on the new injury.

This phenomenon is what happens to a migraine when you consume hot peppers. Your body becomes desensitized to the migraine and the overall sensation of pain is lessened.

4. Relieves Joint Pain
hot pepper relieves joint pain

Due to the powerful pain-relieving properties of the capsaicin from peppers, it can be applied to the skin to reduce the chemical P, the ingredient that carries pain messages to the brain.

Ultimately, the pain receptors exhaust themselves by depleting the body’s reserves. Once this happens, the capsaicin acts as a pain reliever. It is used effectively for shingles, HIV neuropathy and other types of pain.

5. Improves Metabolism / Promotes Weight Loss
metabolism

Spicy peppers revs up the metabolic rate by generating the thermogenic processes in our body that generates heat.

That process utilizes energy, and thereby, burns additional calores. In addition, if hot peppers are consumed at breakfast, the appetite is suppressed the rest of the day which ultimately helps in weight loss.

It may even alter proteins in your body to combat fat accumulation.

Capsaicin also has been studied as a holistic method to for weight loss. It will selectively destroy nerve fibers that send messages from the stomach to the brain.

6. Quells Psoriasis
Psoriasis is an itchy skin condition resulting in ugly skin patches. Capsaicin cream will significantly reduce the number of cells to replicating and aids in the reversal of the auto-immune skin lesions.

7. Reduces Cancer Risk
cancer

Since tne capsaicin in pepper flesh has anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, it is being studied as a cancer-fighter. It reduces the growth of prostate cancer cells, while leaving normal cells unharmed.

Research also shows consumption of large quantities of peppers effective against breast, pancreatic and bladder cancers. (8 large habaneros per week)

8. Fights the Flu, Colds and Fungal Infectionspeppers prevent flu
Hot peppers are chalked full of beta carotene and antioxidants that support your immune system and will aid in fighting off colds and the flu.

Research has found that nasal sprays containing capsaicin reduce congestion. Increased body temperature from the ingestion of hot peppers triggers the immune system into action in fighting the norovirus (cold), flu viruses.

Consumption of peppers fights against 16 fungal strains by reducing fungal pathogens.

9. Prevents Bad Breath
To keep your significant other attracted to you, eating hot pepper powder acts as a disinfectant to the air you breathe out by improving the odor of your breath.

10. Prevents Allergies
bee pollen allergy

Due to the anti-inflammatory benefits of capsaicin, hot peppers can help prevent allergies and symptoms from allergies.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
10 Amazing Health Benefits to Eating Hot Peppers [Scientifically Proven]

POSTED ON JUNE 22, 2018
Hot Peppers Health Benefits
hot chili pepper health benefits

The documented health benefits from hot peppers continues to grow at a break-neck speed, similar to the increasing popularity of consuming hot foods in various forms. The heat and health benefits comes from a chemical called capsaicin.

Historically, spicy additions to food helped prevent spoilage in warm climates before the invention of refrigeration. Capsaicin’s anti-microbial properties inhibit as much as 75% of bacteria growth. People from cultures who lived and survived due to the use of various spices passed down to the next of kin spicy recipes and taste buds desiring extra zing in food.

Adding hot peppers, hot sauces and hot powders to food continues to protect us from food poisoning even though we now refrigerate food. To maximize these health benefits, eating the hottest pepper would magnify these effects.

Below are 10 health benefits of hot peppers.

1. Benefits the Digestive Tract
This may sound counter-intuitive, but the capsaicin in peppers actually act as an anti-irritant. People with ulcers have been told for years to avoid hot spicy foods, but research has revealed that peppers are beneficial to ulcers.

For example, pepper powder provides trace amounts of anti-oxidants and other chemicals to aid digestive issues such as, healing an upset stomach, reducing intestinal gas, curing diarrhea and acting as a natural remedy for cramps.

It does this by reducing the acidity in the digestive tract that causes ulcers. It also helps produce saliva and stimulates gastric juices aiding digestion.

2. Promotes a Healthy Heart
hot pepper heart health

It also aids the circulatory system and prevents heart disease by lowering blood serum cholesterol and reduces lipid deposits, and therefore, reverses excessive blood clotting. It also dilates the blood vessels to aid in blood flow.

3. Mitigates Migraines
Have you ever had a pain on a body part that was your sole focus until you had another pain that was even worse? The original pain simply disappeared when your brain focused on the new injury.

This phenomenon is what happens to a migraine when you consume hot peppers. Your body becomes desensitized to the migraine and the overall sensation of pain is lessened.

4. Relieves Joint Pain
hot pepper relieves joint pain

Due to the powerful pain-relieving properties of the capsaicin from peppers, it can be applied to the skin to reduce the chemical P, the ingredient that carries pain messages to the brain.

Ultimately, the pain receptors exhaust themselves by depleting the body’s reserves. Once this happens, the capsaicin acts as a pain reliever. It is used effectively for shingles, HIV neuropathy and other types of pain.

5. Improves Metabolism / Promotes Weight Loss
metabolism

Spicy peppers revs up the metabolic rate by generating the thermogenic processes in our body that generates heat.

That process utilizes energy, and thereby, burns additional calores. In addition, if hot peppers are consumed at breakfast, the appetite is suppressed the rest of the day which ultimately helps in weight loss.

It may even alter proteins in your body to combat fat accumulation.

Capsaicin also has been studied as a holistic method to for weight loss. It will selectively destroy nerve fibers that send messages from the stomach to the brain.

6. Quells Psoriasis
Psoriasis is an itchy skin condition resulting in ugly skin patches. Capsaicin cream will significantly reduce the number of cells to replicating and aids in the reversal of the auto-immune skin lesions.

7. Reduces Cancer Risk
cancer

Since tne capsaicin in pepper flesh has anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, it is being studied as a cancer-fighter. It reduces the growth of prostate cancer cells, while leaving normal cells unharmed.

Research also shows consumption of large quantities of peppers effective against breast, pancreatic and bladder cancers. (8 large habaneros per week)

8. Fights the Flu, Colds and Fungal Infectionspeppers prevent flu
Hot peppers are chalked full of beta carotene and antioxidants that support your immune system and will aid in fighting off colds and the flu.

Research has found that nasal sprays containing capsaicin reduce congestion. Increased body temperature from the ingestion of hot peppers triggers the immune system into action in fighting the norovirus (cold), flu viruses.

Consumption of peppers fights against 16 fungal strains by reducing fungal pathogens.

9. Prevents Bad Breath
To keep your significant other attracted to you, eating hot pepper powder acts as a disinfectant to the air you breathe out by improving the odor of your breath.

10. Prevents Allergies
bee pollen allergy

Due to the anti-inflammatory benefits of capsaicin, hot peppers can help prevent allergies and symptoms from allergies.
And they get you high on endorphins.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I like em too, but sometimes they burn my asshole in the morning.

seeds............

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Today's harvest:
Krim tomato, some kind of cherry, a couple Cayennes and the cute red guys are a sweet pepper called Lunch Box.

IMG_20190906_172255101.jpg