• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What’s Cracking In The Garden 2019

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I am excited for Amber!...

Meet Amber Strohauer of Strohauer Farms, Inc.. She’s a 4th generation farmer and is excited to keep her family farming legacy going. Her family started farming potatoes here in Colorado in 1901 and now grows everything from finger potatoes to shallots. Though this #WomanInAg farms in La Salle, she still considers herself a “City Girl” (Denver to be exact!!).

View attachment 141588

WSG...

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
We in south central PA are having a nice Indian Summer, but the dryness is cutting back a few end of season veggies.
I did get some lettuce in & all was going well, but the deer finally discovered it & were no longer scared of my night time radio playing.
They chewed off 1/2 the row.
The next morning, I rigged up this old fence w/ 2x4 row cover & so far even though they are passing by, they are leaving it alone.

P1010002.JPG

The wax beans that I cut down to stubs, came back with a nice fresh stand & are producing:

P1010003.JPG
P1010007.JPG

Rusty has been watching me nip the beans while sitting on his spot on the picnic table.
He's not really pissed off, he looks that way all the time:

P1010009.JPG

One of my yardsale finds this year was the one dollar one eyed owl.
The birds were sitting on top of my tomato plant stakes & crappin all over.
No more birds & I have poop free Romas:

P1010005.JPG

And finally, this year's scarecrow. (another yard sale find, Halloween costume).
I spruced it up with some solar night lights at the base & neck so the deer can see the teeth.
It kept them out of the sweet corn, but after I got all that in the freezer, I used the mower to cut down the stalks.
There were still some too small to harvest cobs with lots of corn on that attracted them & once they had that, I was on their regular rounds.

P1010001.JPG

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Glock , good looking Pennsylvania garden!..,
Rusty looks like a good mouser.

We are winding down the remainder of this year‘s garden .

Tomatoes will keep putting on until the cold kills them .

There’s four or five watermelons ripening on the vine , they did not get too big this year because they got a late start .

There are still a little chard and pepper plants are still producing .

Madison plants are getting ripe too.

Next project will be to till up a space to plant a lot of garlic .

B68BA49A-8941-44F7-BE01-C76088D185C0.jpeg
AC69661D-D7F5-4682-9DB2-B4D48B845966.jpeg
1B7AF5A1-01CE-4012-B330-82731DC90E7E.jpeg

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Crikey, Spinal... That looks like a 50-year supply of garlic. What the heck are you gonna do with it all????

4 bulbs for $5 bucks...

20,000 bulbs.

I just need a marketing guru to help me...

I can still do the grunt work but I don’t have very good customer relation skills...

Like the time I was working a part time retail gig greeting people..

First day on the job a customer woman comes through the door with 2 kids...

I greet her and ask if the kids are twins?..

She’s put off and tells me can’t I see their obvious age difference?..

I said I didn’t think that far ahead because I just couldn’t believe that anyone would fuck her twice..

Had to look for another job...

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Dang. That's $16K retail. I wonder if supermarket/grocery store buyers would pick up your crop for half that.

That'd be $8K fer you. :picture::Proud:

I might suggest at least e-mailing a couple of local chains to find out if you can make a deal.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
He would be better off contacting produce buyers/brokers along the front range. Farmers markets in the Ark valley would be another option. If it were me id have a website set up, to sell seed garlic. Last year organic garlic was bringing $1 a head wholesale. It must be USDA inspected.

There were 150 k people at the chili festival in Pueblo last weekend, that would have been a great place to have been, set up to sell.

I know a web designer with reasonable rates. She does good work.

stAGgering

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Glock , good looking Pennsylvania garden!..,
Rusty looks like a good mouser.

We are winding down the remainder of this year‘s garden .

Tomatoes will keep putting on until the cold kills them .

There’s four or five watermelons ripening on the vine , they did not get too big this year because they got a late start .

There are still a little chard and pepper plants are still producing .

Madison plants are getting ripe too.

Next project will be to till up a space to plant a lot of garlic .

View attachment 141849 View attachment 141850 View attachment 141851

Nice garlic HOARD !
I like you, worship garlic.
Grow enough to eat some every day, share some, and seed the next year.
Looking at your bulb condition I see in the ground too long results.
I have done this several times, due to weather, or hoping soft ball sizes, or when I began growing garlic.
So no criticism at all, just a market and labor comment.
More labor cleaning the damaged outer.
Less attractive to buyers without firm and clean shell.
Look gorgeous to me and cloves look like 2 per meal size... in pan fried egg, under the kale, topping a burger, or just caramelized garlic chips.

I just went to local 45 minutes away fair.
Snuck in early as I have for years, not paying $15 entry for 20 minutes of buying.
Going in early makes it nice to visit animals, talk to venders, avoid the weirdos.
Also it was on my way headed north for weekend to brook trouts with Sally the black lab.

Buying more garlic seed is my single intent.
Augmentation of my 5 strain stock is only reason.
Bought from Fedco originally long ago, but they are selling out to large buyer before fair and only have errant strains last two years.
Last two years bought from The Little Garlic Girl Farm.
His, and three granddaughters, German Extra Hardy & Broadleaf Czech strains the biggest producers for me.

His fishnet bags had perfect bulbs, no dirt, white shell, and tag with name, number, strain, and price.
I spent $96 bucks for me and $60 bucks for girlfriend equalling 180+ cloves.
Price for seed was by bulb diameter, Large, X-Large, and Premium.
Premium, my choice, was $12 for two or three bulbs per bag.
Now this is at the Common Ground Country Fair, not street side in Crackerville.

Just saying and wish I had so many 20,000.
Me I stay between 240 - 280 bulbs per year.
Guy said he adds bonemeal, bloodmeal, and sulfur in each hole when planting.
Hint of sulfur he said, not for acidity, for garlics love of it.
His were small till end of season, then swelled out to big and huge last minute.
Mine with same wet and cold spring stayed small all the way through.
Smallest average size ever for me this year.
Some exceptions in Chesnook Reds, Broadleaf Czechs, and German Extra Hardy.

This year I will plant with compost in every hole as usual, but I will mix in a touch of the OG blood & bone meal + sulfur.
Considering the OG compost and soil I am in, with Espoma OG Garden fertilizer, lime, and local seaweed.
Sulfur will be the novelty, and may counter the 2019 -23% in GDD Growing Degree Days for me in New England.
www.iceagefarmer.com/gdd/
Best to you this fall planting.
Oh, I do soak open, planting ready cloves in colloidal silver overnight in fridge.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Im going to start pulling down some cannabis tomorrow. Ive got a few early finishers ready to go. Since everhting is pollinated by hemp, it looks like a cut fans. hang til bone dry, and dry sieve type of deal. That is ok, I dont smoke much if any bud anymore anyway.

My plants were kind of neglected this year, only fed a couple times, could have used more water..............but..........the trichrome coverage is insane. I think stressing them a bit has made em frost up more than if id of babied them.

It wont be big haul, but should provide enough kief for pressed hash, and edibles. Thats good enough for me. After pulling many multi hundo harvies over the years (it takes a fucking month sometimes), this is actually going to be fun again.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
The above sounds fun and interesting... and abstruse to the point that to me, it sounded "normal", but undecipherable to innocent old guys.

Sort like Alfie of the East End describing his experience:

"Ere, now... I popped out of an oozer after a pig's ear took me last smash. I spies a connaught ranger on the boulevard, and takes a dekko: no bogeys, except a greenie sitting on a jampot. How'd I know 'e was a grass? So I grooved me plates of meat and used me fork to blag 'im."

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Aw geez. You ain't gonna let that gorgeous thing:weed:DIE... are ya? Could you put a radiant heater on it for cold days? Move it into the kitchen? cry::oops:

It’s going to be close Unca...

She needs at least 30 more days..

What she looks like this morning..

48DF92AB-2F26-4E8B-A9F0-A07CA6EC0015.jpeg
F5D91C9C-D864-4432-A1DB-B16B3B3B0D03.jpeg

And what she’s supposed to look like this time of year...

D16488F1-A5DD-4CC3-AA94-256273F1BEAB.jpeg
05A7A856-E1A6-4B3F-966B-13EC7F2C842E.jpeg

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Figgered I better give a translation:

Alfie had just left a pub after a beer that took his last cash. He saw a well-dressed stranger walking toward him. Alfie looked around, and didn't see any cops -- just a kid sitting on a parked car that he never thought would squeal on him. So Alfie uses the practiced forefinger-middle finger trick of jostle-and-lift with the guy's wallet stuck between.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Im going to start pulling down some cannabis tomorrow. Ive got a few early finishers ready to go. Since everhting is pollinated by hemp, it looks like a cut fans. hang til bone dry, and dry sieve type of deal. That is ok, I dont smoke much if any bud anymore anyway.

My plants were kind of neglected this year, only fed a couple times, could have used more water..............but..........the trichrome coverage is insane. I think stressing them a bit has made em frost up more than if id of babied them.

It wont be big haul, but should provide enough kief for pressed hash, and edibles. Thats good enough for me. After pulling many multi hundo harvies over the years (it takes a fucking month sometimes), this is actually going to be fun again.

Good luck coopersmith!!....

I remember this long cold days and fiskars of fury!..

I am so burnt out on trimming for sure and I am happy to pull a few dead fan leaves and hand strip the rest and quick wash with Everclear and be done with it..

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

View attachment 142197 View attachment 142198

View attachment 142199 View attachment 142200
You are gonna find this as easy to swallow as a Vaseline sandwich, but that poor little throwawy POS beautiful, magnificent volunteer of yours in the first picture is ten times bigger with thousands of times more buds than anything I have ever seen in person.

Just to letcha know. I would have considered that plant to be the epitome of grandness had I been able to keep the ducks, squirrels, raccoons, oinks, peacocks, sandhill cranes, iguanas, rabbits, mold... at bay.

^updated^

found a way in
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

View attachment 142197 View attachment 142198

View attachment 142199 View attachment 142200
Around here, With so much ditch weed, you have to have a strain that doesn't flower too early, or you will have too many seeds and less potency. The ditch weed starts flowering in July and for the most part is done pollinating by Sept. My strains begin to flower the first week of Sept and finish around the 3rd week of Oct. with the first killer frost in normally in Nov. There might be a few light frosts down to 28degrees but that does not hurt the plant as long as it warms up the next day.

The final product will be lightly seeded but not too bad.

Where we stand right now...

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
How much ditch weed is there?

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
There is 640 acres of hemp 1.5 miles from my house.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
updated , what variety are you growing?...

You said ,
“My strains begin to flower the first week of Sept and finish around the 3rd week of Oct. with the first killer frost in normally in Nov.”...

That’s a fast finisher!...

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
NOBODY'S ALLOWED TO LAUGH. :don't know:

Can you smoke the leaves? Lemme rephrase that: would there be any whatever that zoomie stuff is in them?

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
You can use the leaves to make low grade butter. thats about it. Rabbits love em, fwiw.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
My cherry toms are boomin at the moment. Cayenne's too. When the season's over I'm gonna be blue.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
You can use the leaves to make low grade butter. thats about it. Rabbits love em, fwiw.

Thank you coops. I just never knew. I knew about them there rabbits, however. They even like the roots.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Thank you coops. I just never knew. I knew about them there rabbits, however. They even like the roots.
...and deer and goats and cows and birds...

^updated^

found a way in
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
updated , what variety are you growing?...

You said ,
“My strains begin to flower the first week of Sept and finish around the 3rd week of Oct. with the first killer frost in normally in Nov.”...

That’s a fast finisher!...
I don't know, probably half indica and half sativa. On second thought, they probably start flowering a couple of weeks earlier than I said.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Here we go again......

94 today...

In less than 24 hours we will drop to 44....38 by Wednesday night.

Oh the drama queen Mother Nature who shows off her crazy side out here.

I really need to move somewhere where the temperatures are more stable and consistent.

I can’t take these up and down radical changes anymore , especially 20-40 mph winds all freaking day and night and day.....

I think I’ll head south , Deep South , like Patagonia south....

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Just reading what you guys write about weed is so... illuminating.

OK. I am/was an EE. And I see an astonishing parallel between one day an electronic design of mine was up there near the leading edge vs where electronics is today...

...compared to the same day when I bought weed that was full of seeds and branches vs where the weed industry is now.

Both have grown in depth, complexity, usefulness to a point that is not really measurable.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
My friend who gave me this year's starts stopped by with today's harvest. He gave me a Whopper of a tomato. It's the hillbilly variety and weighed in at 1lb 3oz.

IMG_20191005_133705562.jpg
IMG_20191005_133747923.jpg

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Time to get the weed out of garden boys, the killing frost is about here.

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Well she were a beautiful day[windy] and the wife got all of us out digging/cleaning/putting away the spuds. 4 year old was busy as a beaver hauling spuds in a toy truck and was more fun than should be legal. Wife is happy and the lad is now cooking steaks over a poplar wood fire that we will eat with fried spuds, peas and other green shit from the garden. Even the work part is enjoyable with family around.

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Still getting some apples from the tree, so conjured up a couple batches of Apple butter the past couple weekends.
FB_IMG_1570416317244.jpg

Not a very good photo, but that's Apple butter in the crock pot. We also had a volunteer pumpkin plant, so we had a few of those. Eight 2-cup containers of pumpkin puree in the freezer. And a couple loaves of pumpkin bread whipped up this afyernoon. Freeze coming, so it'll be the end of a remarkably meager season. It sucks not having a garden. Already looking forward to next year.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Well all Jack Frost pretty much close the book on the 2019 garden ..

Overall not too bad of a year ...

Last of the crops...trying to get the garlic in the ground..

87303F18-7377-4C7F-A2D6-90C5298DA276.jpeg
CA1D2C96-D146-4D5B-8940-E9DC9FBBC477.jpeg
7E2F2CF6-9A33-4DEC-B8B5-FB1B53CA0AFA.jpeg
16B13E07-4F10-43F5-985A-1A7B2A7A5EE3.jpeg
DEC52DA2-24E3-4CD3-AC5A-83D8DEA0C803.jpeg
D6B86746-8661-4942-AB95-12048B290960.jpeg

Can’t get enough of these jalapeños....
Snacking while I’m waiting on POTUS to take the podium in Minnesota , or Little Somalia...

3345BF1D-A171-44E6-9A0C-7B8BAA8DC4D3.jpeg
5A98B1CC-7A77-4424-91BF-8DF87E8D9307.jpeg
335B5C10-E49E-4ABA-B8F3-CDA56AD78B99.jpeg
75D5CDF4-BAEE-4B36-A2E8-536B1F5D92E4.jpeg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Well all Jack Frost pretty much close the book on the 2019 garden ..

Overall not too bad of a year ...

Last of the crops...trying to get the garlic in the ground..

View attachment 143159 View attachment 143160 View attachment 143161 View attachment 143162 View attachment 143163 View attachment 143164

Can’t get enough of these jalapeños....
Snacking while I’m waiting on POTUS to take the podium in Minnesota , or Little Somalia...

View attachment 143165 View attachment 143166 View attachment 143167 View attachment 143168