• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What’s Cracking In The Garden 2019

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
We were low 79s yesterday and tonight hitting the 20's! So I grabbed much of what was pickable today in the little garden.
IMG_20191011_105650640.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Kinda/sorta weird how I start later and finish earlier, eh. Guess them extra hours of sunlight per day do pay off.
I know my bones and countenance sure appreciate it.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
It got to 17 here. Everything is dead. It will all turn brown and get dry, just right for a prairie fire.

I think well fence it and put cattle on it.

The milo is surely drying now, its dead man. A week to go. I call the jd 8820. Those kids can run the 9600's. and fix em too, and dig out the shit when they plug em because they went too fast, and didnt listen to the machine. Ill just put along, I am not interested in other peoples problems...........:blond:.

Did I mention milo is worth nothing, I hope it pays for the diesel.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I am thinking about firing myself before we get started, for a shit attitude.

Im not kidding.
Deary me... How many times have I done that!!

Me (thinking): "If I was paying some asshole to do this, I'd fire him... NO! If he was volunteering, I'd fire him!"

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Today was spa day for the house plants, they all get a good soak in the sink with some liquid fertilizer. The orchids keep their blooms for over a year if I'm careful.
1570921184998.png

The succulent with the yellow flowers is called "Baby Toes" or "Fiber Optic Plant" because the photosynthetic cells are way down inside and the light goes through the clear gel. It is the first time it has ever bloomed for me after several years of just being a curiosity. I think it is native to the deserts of Namibia
1570921206524.png

The flashlights are from the other night when our electrical utility threatened to turn off the power.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Today was spa day for the house plants, they all get a good soak in the sink with some liquid fertilizer. The orchids keep their blooms for over a year if I'm careful.
View attachment 143343

The succulent with the yellow flowers is called "Baby Toes" or "Fiber Optic Plant" because the photosynthetic cells are way down inside and the light goes through the clear gel. It is the first time it has ever bloomed for me after several years of just being a curiosity. I think it is native to the deserts of Namibia
View attachment 143344

The flashlights are from the other night when our electrical utility threatened to turn off the power.
Never seen that specimen before. Wild. Looks very similar to how some mushrooms grow.

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Garden Oct 2019 008.JPG

Subset of harvest from ~10 days ago

Garden Oct 2019 009.JPG

Some of the Squash harvest. Spaghetti squash did well, the Acorn Squash not so much...pretty small overall.

Garden Oct 2019 013.JPG

We panicked a bit with frost warnings that didn't materialize over the weekend and harvested most of our remaining produce even if it was immature, like the peppers. Letting the plants run their course, but not expecting much more other that perhaps frost-hardy stuff like spinach and brussel sprouts. Anyway, all but done here, what a wet, cool season...we did ok and grew a lot of food for ourselves and learned some lessons, that's what's most important IMHO. Good luck out there folks.