• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What’s Cracking In The Garden 2019

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Wish list

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
There is no reason to let plants get that tall. They needed more training when they were smaller. Here they would blow over, and be laying in the dirt.
The top can get more sun and it looks cool or is some soaring sativa is all I can come up with. There is a natural beauty in an untrimmed bush. ;)

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
In my innocence... I have difficulty in believing that incredible TREE behind the guy is not Photoshopped.

I know it is not... but -- wait until YOUR best shot gets 18" tall before the mold or the peacocks get it. cry::surrender:

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
lst year we had alot of rvvits and rats in the garden. Some varieties of veggies were totally wiped out, okra for example.

So ive went and traded for a dozen 110 conibears. After I get the last 4 yotes fleshed and boarded today, and get the shop cleaned im going to start building some trap boxes. Ive looked around utube and will be building these:

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
lst year we had alot of rvvits and rats in the garden. Some varieties of veggies were totally wiped out, okra for example.

So ive went and traded for a dozen 110 conibears. After I get the last 4 yotes fleshed and boarded today, and get the shop cleaned im going to start building some trap boxes. Ive looked around utube and will be building these:

If you got any cats or other small pets, better restrict the entrance. A rat can actually flatten themselves down and crawl under a door if there is any kind of crack of more than about a quarter inch...., I've seen one do that.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
No cats here, just one small house dog, along w the pyrenees and anatolian sheperds. The traps will be set in areas where the house dog has no access. I have livetrapped rabbits and rats before, but I like the idea of walking up and finding em dead (dont have to carry bb gun to check the traps), throw em over the fence for the dogs to eat. I might buy some snares as well, and run em at crossunders inside the garden fence.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Whats that little wire dohicky (the heart of the trap) called? Some sort of rodent trap I know but whatta ya call it?
They might catch cats? Only trespassing neighborhood cats here.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
The wire is the trap trigger. if you watch the video the poster explains and demonstrates how the trap works. yea the 110 conibears will defnitely catch a cat or small dog, any critter than can stick its head in and trip the trigger. It would make a great trap for catching protein in a SHTF environment. Can be set in rabbit trails, on logs for squirrels, etc.

utube has a wealth of info on them.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
yea the 110 conibears will defnitely catch a cat
Done that - on purpose! Was my own cat but wild as all get out - tried many times to tame it down, but to no avail.

Didn't Victor or Duke, one of those trap companies actually make one smaller, like a weasel size? I can't remember now, been a while since I've bought any traps. Got several of those 110s, some with a few modifications.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
So im looking into composting options for my garden. As some of you know, I live in an area where humidity levels are often times under 10%, esp in summer when its really hot. This makes standard compost bins, such as pallet bins, or piles made in poly fencing rings useless. The piles dry out too fast, even with daily watering, and compost slowly or not at all. The only way I know to pull it off is to dig a hole and compost in it, but its too much work. I have dug enough holes in my life, with a shovel, to say I don't want to do it anymore.

I thought I might cut the bottom off a plastic barrel, drill it full of small holes and compost in it. Cut the top off as well, and put a hinge and some sort of latch on it, so as to have a lid.

Any thoughts, or ideas would be appreciated.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
So im looking into composting options for my garden. As some of you know, I live in an area where humidity levels are often times under 10%, esp in summer when its really hot. This makes standard compost bins, such as pallet bins, or piles made in poly fencing rings useless. The piles dry out too fast, even with daily watering, and compost slowly or not at all. The only way I know to pull it off is to dig a hole and compost in it, but its too much work. I have dug enough holes in my life, with a shovel, to say I don't want to do it anymore.

I thought I might cut the bottom off a plastic barrel, drill it full of small holes and compost in it. Cut the top off as well, and put a hinge and some sort of latch on it, so as to have a lid.

Use aerobic decomposition instead of anaerobic. My buddy just threw the compost directly into the garden. The healthy worms(whom we are ultimately trying to feed anyway) devour the scraps in record time.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I think adding amendments directly has it merits, but im afriad of attracting rodents. They have treated me badly (rodents). I think a drilled barrel might do. We have done multiple acres a yr, trying to downsize to our home needs.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Well pilgrims , it’s cold enough to freeze the balls off of a brass monkey.

But that don’t stop a guy from dreaming.

The lab and incubator room.

Jalalabad Star cross
Purple Maui x Sweettooth #3
C99
Jackie-O
Durban Poison
AE77 Cali-O x G13HP88

Not pictured are TrainWreck , LongBottomLeaf , Legend OGKush , Lucinda , and a Sweettooth...

Damnit, came out in reverse
Reverse the order if your interested.
Otherwise these are all from seed and are being sexed and culled until we get the best plants and be compliant with the laws of the land.

This is like watching paint dry.
It’s goid to have other hobbies.

F9B0331D-58FC-4455-B884-17092B41DF40.jpeg
AF36D2D9-3A27-4D3F-854E-742FFFEFAA97.jpeg
330F3B10-F767-48AE-9BE4-0BCA8CF50754.jpeg
1FD1AF8A-4636-4D19-9C78-78406114F89B.jpeg
18D0848A-C774-4554-A7C9-EA8C8978979B.jpeg
BE256199-A5C0-4937-847A-2911CA85C363.jpeg
9538A946-098E-4251-8C52-15B77F5B1AAC.jpeg

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Watch for hermies w the longbottomleaf, shell throw a banana (some plants alot) now and then. Much like the chems, it cant handle heat stress.

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
so far, I only got 5 sprouts

Whack a Mole
Party Animal
Patriot
Keep My Kool

and my favorite:
Keep My Job

:2 thumbs up:

That last one stays with ya for weeks

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Well pilgrims , it’s cold enough to freeze the balls off of a brass monkey.

But that don’t stop a guy from dreaming.

The lab and incubator room.

Jalalabad Star cross
Purple Maui x Sweettooth #3
C99
Jackie-O
Durban Poison
AE77 Cali-O x G13HP88

Not pictured are TrainWreck , LongBottomLeaf , Legend OGKush , Lucinda , and a Sweettooth...

Damnit, came out in reverse
Reverse the order if your interested.
Otherwise these are all from seed and are being sexed and culled until we get the best plants and be compliant with the laws of the land.

This is like watching paint dry.
It’s goid to have other hobbies.

View attachment 125329 View attachment 125330 View attachment 125331 View attachment 125332 View attachment 125333 View attachment 125334 View attachment 125335
What's the medium mix consist of Cracker?

A few of those leaves look like hemp leaves. Very jagged.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
What's the medium mix consist of Cracker?

A few of those leaves look like hemp leaves. Very jagged.
Here’s the base soil we start with.

2FA7AA9F-DD3D-4800-A1F6-6FC34167B12D.jpeg

Then we amend it with more Perlite and worm castings ......
Later on we add fert’s as needed , some teas , bat guano, some salts...

The jagged ones are Durban Poison and we are looking for a strong licorice anise peppery profile that when consumed one feels like painting the house with a 4” inch Rooster brush and some Behr paint....

image.jpg

I really like the leaf structure on this Purple Maui x Sweettooth #3...

image.jpg

How about this trifoliate C99...

image.jpg

And a Sweettooth mother plant...

FD313823-4D66-4AED-8125-7BC7D4933932.jpeg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Such a gorgeous plant.

I remember reading in High TImes many moons ago that guys would grow plants in egg shells and worm castings. Is there any truth to that that you're aware of?

What's the deal with the "salts"? First I've heard of that.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I have some fruitbowl seeds as well. I look forward to working with them this year outdoors.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

water and cover with a tarp. Preferable in the shade if it's really hot out. If shade not possible then maybe just water more often and keep covered. The barrel would work too and would compost fast if its hot out.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Is that the old c99 line, or the new one?

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
"...shell throw a banana..."

"...sack of beans marked bros Grimm..."

"Is that the old c99 line, or the new one?"

Jeebus mareebus...

Haven't. A. Fargin. Clue.

Clearly, I have fallen behind the times.

I feel like a hep-cat in a zoot suit waking up in 1990. To me, au courant apparently means some kind of jelly.

Last edited:

ToBeSelfEvident

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I got tomatoes in the ground Feb 28, the earliest ever. It has been very warm in N. Florida. I spent the winter digging out a 50 year old privet hedge, and replaced it with 3 lime trees and 1 pomegranate. We also have a blood orange tree that produced its first fruit last year (only 1 orange but it was delicious). It currently has many blossoms so we should get a full crop this year.

For the tomatoes, I usually use a determinate variety in the smaller space along the fence. I chose "patio" this year, with 3oz - 4-oz fruits. In the big garden I am growing "purple cherokee" heirloom tomatoes which are indeterminate and need more room. The cherokees are large, dark and smoky tasting. With such an early planting, I should be able to harvest a lot of it before the bugs and heat of late summer arrive.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I like the cherokees myself. I'll be growing those this year and maybe 1 German Johnson. Those have great flavor as well. My main production mater this year is going to be the abbatista. I've tried a lot of plum tomatoes and this is simply the most delicious I have ever had. Makes amazing pasta sauce and really want to can a bunch of cases of that and salsa. The family been begging me for salsa ever since they tried my stuff. Unfortunately the last few years haven't been good for tomatoes for me here.
Have a few colder days coming up so will go through the seed stock and do a little planning for the season. Get the peppers popped now as well. Probably just serranos and Jalapeños this year.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
I have some fruitbowl seeds as well. I look forward to working with them this year outdoors.

There is a pheno in there that smells like Fruity Pebbles on steroids....that’s a keeper.

Salts are just my way of saying dry fertilizer, like Miracle Grow or Peters ..

Good luck on those tomatoes!...we really like the Cherokee purps too and Sweet 100’s......

No gardening today......got 6” of fresh powder and it’s below freezing!!!...

image.jpg
image.jpg

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Hey theres my old house. Its a shame they cut those trees in front down. I bout cried when the city made me cut the bottoms out of those cedars. It was the beginning of the end of my town dwelling days. I loved that place, til I didnt.

Hey spinalcracker, remember that day all the cops within 50 miles showed up and had a party at my place. That experiance puckered my asshole for sure. They thought they had me......... they didnt have shit :tired:

I blame uk cheese for that, heck I could smell it all the way down at marys market. the pigs told me, we thought you were cooking meth.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
<<<<<<<< FUCKEN ENVY >>>>>>>>
Sir Walter Sneekydeker of Netherlands, speaking of envy , your literary skills are something else , par excellence....

And your knowledge and experience with firearms have me shaking my head with envy....

My little old garden ain’t shiat up against your killing rattlesnakes with a fecking pocket knife or jumping out of airplanes.....

And your a generous sumbitch who , on top of it all , are a humble human being.....

Now that’s something to be envious about....

I cracked up on that zoot suit comment and the photograph...
We actually saw cats like that hanging out in the projects in Pacoima California in the early 60’s...

Only we called them Pachuco’s...

68955FC3-2701-43E8-9FE1-57C299E9905A.jpeg

Me and my little brother in the Pacoima projects...

88C63495-C6D6-4B2D-95E3-FB4EF0397F3B.jpeg
39F4AAB0-3D6E-4C9B-8A27-AFA043E9A233.jpeg
53DEAC6A-C0ED-48E3-BED1-769EDD24054D.jpeg
31634B3E-FCDF-4C88-A459-D296524144E9.jpeg

Last edited:

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Hey theres my old house. Its a shame they cut those trees in front down. I bout cried when the city made me cut the bottoms out of those cedars. It was the beginning of the end of my town dwelling days. I loved that place, til I didnt.

Hey spinalcracker, remember that day all the cops within 50 miles showed up and had a party at my place. That experiance puckered my asshole for sure. They thought they had me......... they didnt have shit :tired:

I blame uk cheese for that, heck I could smell it all the way down at marys market. the pigs told me, we thought you were cooking meth.

Yeah I hated that they cut the trees down...
That’s what they do around here , even if it’s an old historical building , just bulldoze it down...

I’ve seen several old buildings disappear in my short time here...

It’s time to leave ...one more outdoor season then Adios mofo’s!..
539046DF-3A68-4F0A-937A-C795684EDFCD.jpeg

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Dont tell him that, hed just move out here and be disappointed.......

True that..

Hell yeah , there are plenty of other legal states to choose from that don’t have a bunch of liberal cucks running the state..

Colorado is the next California...