• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What’s Cracking In The Garden 2019

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Wish list

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
There is no reason to let plants get that tall. They needed more training when they were smaller. Here they would blow over, and be laying in the dirt.
The top can get more sun and it looks cool or is some soaring sativa is all I can come up with. There is a natural beauty in an untrimmed bush. ;)

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
In my innocence... I have difficulty in believing that incredible TREE behind the guy is not Photoshopped.

I know it is not... but -- wait until YOUR best shot gets 18" tall before the mold or the peacocks get it. cry::surrender:

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
lst year we had alot of rvvits and rats in the garden. Some varieties of veggies were totally wiped out, okra for example.

So ive went and traded for a dozen 110 conibears. After I get the last 4 yotes fleshed and boarded today, and get the shop cleaned im going to start building some trap boxes. Ive looked around utube and will be building these:

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
lst year we had alot of rvvits and rats in the garden. Some varieties of veggies were totally wiped out, okra for example.

So ive went and traded for a dozen 110 conibears. After I get the last 4 yotes fleshed and boarded today, and get the shop cleaned im going to start building some trap boxes. Ive looked around utube and will be building these:

If you got any cats or other small pets, better restrict the entrance. A rat can actually flatten themselves down and crawl under a door if there is any kind of crack of more than about a quarter inch...., I've seen one do that.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
No cats here, just one small house dog, along w the pyrenees and anatolian sheperds. The traps will be set in areas where the house dog has no access. I have livetrapped rabbits and rats before, but I like the idea of walking up and finding em dead (dont have to carry bb gun to check the traps), throw em over the fence for the dogs to eat. I might buy some snares as well, and run em at crossunders inside the garden fence.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Whats that little wire dohicky (the heart of the trap) called? Some sort of rodent trap I know but whatta ya call it?
They might catch cats? Only trespassing neighborhood cats here.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
The wire is the trap trigger. if you watch the video the poster explains and demonstrates how the trap works. yea the 110 conibears will defnitely catch a cat or small dog, any critter than can stick its head in and trip the trigger. It would make a great trap for catching protein in a SHTF environment. Can be set in rabbit trails, on logs for squirrels, etc.

utube has a wealth of info on them.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
yea the 110 conibears will defnitely catch a cat
Done that - on purpose! Was my own cat but wild as all get out - tried many times to tame it down, but to no avail.

Didn't Victor or Duke, one of those trap companies actually make one smaller, like a weasel size? I can't remember now, been a while since I've bought any traps. Got several of those 110s, some with a few modifications.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
So im looking into composting options for my garden. As some of you know, I live in an area where humidity levels are often times under 10%, esp in summer when its really hot. This makes standard compost bins, such as pallet bins, or piles made in poly fencing rings useless. The piles dry out too fast, even with daily watering, and compost slowly or not at all. The only way I know to pull it off is to dig a hole and compost in it, but its too much work. I have dug enough holes in my life, with a shovel, to say I don't want to do it anymore.

I thought I might cut the bottom off a plastic barrel, drill it full of small holes and compost in it. Cut the top off as well, and put a hinge and some sort of latch on it, so as to have a lid.

Any thoughts, or ideas would be appreciated.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
So im looking into composting options for my garden. As some of you know, I live in an area where humidity levels are often times under 10%, esp in summer when its really hot. This makes standard compost bins, such as pallet bins, or piles made in poly fencing rings useless. The piles dry out too fast, even with daily watering, and compost slowly or not at all. The only way I know to pull it off is to dig a hole and compost in it, but its too much work. I have dug enough holes in my life, with a shovel, to say I don't want to do it anymore.

I thought I might cut the bottom off a plastic barrel, drill it full of small holes and compost in it. Cut the top off as well, and put a hinge and some sort of latch on it, so as to have a lid.

Any thoughts, or ideas would be appreciated.
Use aerobic decomposition instead of anaerobic. My buddy just threw the compost directly into the garden. The healthy worms(whom we are ultimately trying to feed anyway) devour the scraps in record time.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I think adding amendments directly has it merits, but im afriad of attracting rodents. They have treated me badly (rodents). I think a drilled barrel might do. We have done multiple acres a yr, trying to downsize to our home needs.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++