• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What’s Cracking In The Garden 2019

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Nobody ever told those tree cutters and bulldozer guys you cant polish a turd.

I think ill move to texas in a few years and run mountain lions for fun and (a little) profit. Surely I can find me a place up in the hills to grow a little patch of weed.

Did you look at the place I wrote on that piece of paper. I think ill go there.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Yea I think its as good a place as any, better than some......... at least they arent bulldozing the fucker. I talked to a rancher buddy down there friday, his wife has tomatoes in the ground and the peachs are the size of silver dollars.

That second pic gives me a boner. I hope thats not your 'neice'. If it is ill redact my above statement and say this she looks like a nice girl.

Jarrod32

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
You people in those tropical climates with plants in the garden already. We had more snow yesterday, there is 6 inches of snow covering the garden, apple and peach trees are bare, and it was 3 below this morning when I went out to clear snow. We are at least two months away from putting any plants in the ground...

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
EVER kewl. fargin freezing. Purty turkey.

Since this is the garden thingy, I gots another "Unca The Wiped-Out Farmer" vignette:

Every day, I put out sunflower seeds and corn for the wildies that live here. One day, Herself and Your Humble Obdt &tc were walking around and, LO -- there was a sunflower growing in our yard.

I had dropped some seeds by accident far from where the creatchy-poos get their dinner.

Bonk. Idea. Plant some of them seeds in a little garden -- for clearly, these things grow even though the ground is saturated with nematodes. So I planted a garden just chock full of sunflower seeds.

Which the sumbitchin' squirrels dug up, every fargin one.

So I replanted a tad deeper and watered the bejebers out of it. Essentially a mudpile. Crafty me. D'ysee, here in South Floriduh, the ground dries out in no time. And the seed-scent was gone.

Yay.

Three weeks later (yesterday), Herself and yadayada went out to look at the sunflower garden.

HOLA!!! Scads and scads of beautiful two-inch high plants!!

Yay.

This moanin' I goes out to get the paper, and decided to go see how high my sunflowers are a day later.

Not. A. Hint. Of. Green.

Somebody <-- make that somebodies had to have had a feastie.

About the only ones off the list are the armadildo and possumom.

I ain't trying again.

birddog

Here for the show.....
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I have this little 4' by 2' greenhouse box that I use to start seeds in the spring. Over this winter I put in onion sets (they usually don't make it through the winter like garlic does. Also threw in some cilantro and salad greens that are starting to come up. Box currently is 45 degrees and the temp is 34 and its cloudy. Heats up fast when the sun comes out and the back panel opens up to vent.

box.jpg
onions.jpg

Garlic is looking good.
garlic.jpg

Funny, that row of dead looking stuff at the top of the pic is collards. They are mostly still alive.

Cold winter - we are about a month behind here. Daffodils are just poking out now and they are usually blooming by now. Fruit trees are barely starting to bud out.

birddog

Here for the show.....
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
But I do have something flowering. This silly zebra aloe can't seem to stay upright but it don't care....

aloe.jpg

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I have this little 4' by 2' greenhouse box that I use to start seeds in the spring. Over this winter I put in onion sets (they usually don't make it through the winter like garlic does. Also threw in some cilantro and salad greens that are starting to come up. Box currently is 45 degrees and the temp is 34 and its cloudy. Heats up fast when the sun comes out and the back panel opens up to vent.

View attachment 126048 View attachment 126050

Garlic is looking good.
View attachment 126049
Funny, that row of dead looking stuff at the top of the pic is collards. They are mostly still alive.

Cold winter - we are about a month behind here. Daffodils are just poking out now and they are usually blooming by now. Fruit trees are barely starting to bud out.
I like the cold frame.
One of those things I always said I will do but never got around to it. (the older I get, the more of that there is)
Does the smart water work better than the other bottles as thermal ballast? :2 thumbs up:

birddog

Here for the show.....
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Possibly, my husband put them in and I figure it can't hurt. lol....

I got it here. Kind of pricey, but if you had time and tools it should be pretty easy to build.

https://www.cedarcoldframes.com/

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
What's everybody's favorite onion to grow?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I like the cold frame.
One of those things I always said I will do but never got around to it. (the older I get, the more of that there is)
Does the smart water work better than the other bottles as thermal ballast? :2 thumbs up:
I like using aluminum storm windows. That way you can adjust the air by opening or closing the window or door and still have screen protection. Similart to this...

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I like using aluminum storm windows. That way you can adjust the air by opening or closing the window or door and still have screen protection. Similart to this...

Thats the shit right there, get them seeds up, and when it warms up into bigger pots to be put in the cold frames.

:2 thumbs up:

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Hot damn!....we are cooking with grease now!....

From a blizzard fecking bomb to 77 this week and a solid week in the 60’s , river cities quaking and everybody’s shaking , whether your a brother or whether your a mother , your stayin’ alive.....

Just garlic and onions coming up like gangbusters , some hollyhocks and dandelions poking up....

Planting a few trays of chard , kale , spinach , and maybe some tomatoes and peppers...

I can hear Coopersmith now , what temperature is my soil?.....

Good luck this season ya all!.....

some poor dirt farmers don’t make it , this tune says it all , the poor dirt farmer lost it all......

The Disappearing Family Farm

The lifestyle of the family farmer is fading fast. How does this affect you?

“According to the Census of Agriculture,” a United States Department of Agriculture report revealed, “the number of U.S. farms fell sharply until the early 1970s after peaking at 6.8 million in 1935…By 2002, about 2.1 million farms remained.”

“The American Farmland Trust estimates an acre of U.S. farmland goes into development every two minutes, while Environment Colorado estimates the state lost 1.26 million acres of agricultural land between 1997 and 2002,” The Denver Post reported. “This loss averages 690 acres per day in Colorado, the third highest in the nation.”

https://rcg.org/realtruth/articles/100607-006-family.html

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Yup its about that time again. Well get our seeds sowed into trays in the next week or so. We have had over 2" of rain since thursday, and NWS says we are in for a wet spring. Mud sucks.

spinalcracker, whats your soil temperature? 44 here..........

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Garlic and onions doing ok here as well. I didn't plant onions though. Must be holdovers from last year. Getting some beetroot started today.. Never had em before, hope I like em. Just trying some new chit. :)

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
ehhhe? I am swapping out the horsie and going with the back hoe this year. back ho don't buck and figit as it only leaks oil. sometimes it ain't how you look doing what you do as it is just getting the dammmm thing done.

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Got some spinach, radish, and snap pea seeds in the ground yesterday, just in time for the snow coming in a couple days...feck. Would have planted some onion sets, but no one has them locally yet..."yeah, we'll have them any day now" they say. Pulled the 6" of leaf mulch off the fall planted garlic and sure enough, there was dozens of yellow shoots looking for natural light, we should have another good crop this year. Too early to get anything else going here other than indoors.

Wishing all a great gardening season for 2019!!!

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
We were doing pretty good until this blizzard hit us.

We went from 84 to 24 in 12 hours .

40-60 mile sustained winds with gusts up to 70 80 mph

A category one prairie cane ...

Garlic and onions are up and peppers and tomatoes go in trays this week ..

Chickens are laying again and we are getting 6 to 8 eggs a day ...

We drove about 150 miles across the Prairie into the big city the other day.

Just about every creek that we went over had water in them which is pretty unusual around here.

The prairies should really blossom with wildflowers this spring.

Eat more garlic!...

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
My garlic, that I got in late last year, is looking fine. The onions I planted in March are coming up. I mentioned to the wife I'd plant some peas if she'd like me to. She got her box of seeds out and came out to the garden, showed me where she wanted me to dig up an area and before I even got the area finished raking over, she was digging in some rows for peas and I'm not too sure what else. I know there was some bean seeds in there, told her the ground was too cold for beans, she thinks they'll grow anyway.

Strawberries really multiplied last year, trying to take over a large part of the garden.

I have a rotor-tiller that attaches to 3-point hitch on the tractor, with that I have the rest of the garden tilled, but will probably go over it one more time before any tomatoes or corn get planted. Not planning on potatoes this year, unless we throw some on the ground and cover them with straw.

Blueberries, raspberries and blackberries all look good, like winter wasn't as hard on them, peach trees starting to blossom.

Looking at the 10 day weather predictions, no sign as of now of any more frosts - keeping fingers crossed - most be why I'm having so much trouble with this keyboard this morning.

Also, bees seem to have made it through the winter. Have not yet gotten into the hive to see what's going on in it.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
One of my pears seems a bit slow to get going this year but all the apple trees are doing well as are the cherry trees. For the first time in I don't know how many years, it feels like we might actually have spring weather. Seems like the last few years we go from winter to sumer and skip spring. It could be that I might actually get some fruit this year. :). This is either year 4 or 5. Cant remember which.
Last year I had gotten like 25 American plum tree from Missouri for like 8 bucks. Looks like they all made it. I planted them all along the driveway and in the future they should turn into one big hedge that flowers real nice in spring. The bees will be happy and once they fruit there should be plenty for the birds and raccoons as well as myself.
Spinach and peas going in today. Peppers and tomatoes are started.. Neighbor came by yesterday with a bunch of seeds someone gave her last year and asked if I could start them for her. I figured sure why not. Anyone that wants to help themselves and grow their own food I cant say no to.

Fig trees went out the other day. One tree has 2 dozen figs on it already. They have been under 315 ceramic metal halide lights since December.

Beautiful night last night. I was drawn outside by the 5 fighter jets flying around overhead. Very cool to see them kick in the afterburners in the dark. Normally they are out playing during the day and it's rare to catch a glimpse of them. I don't know if they were practicing dogfighting or what but one of them was really moving, like at least twice as fast as the others. I took a couple videos but other than being really loud there wasn't much to see. After they flew off to the south I stood out there for awhile enjoying the night and then 2 shooting stars off to the east.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Fig trees went out the other day. One tree has 2 dozen figs on it already. They have been under 315 ceramic metal halide lights since December.
I had my fig trees inside in the woodshop. I run a couple electric heaters in there just to keep it above freezing, I have some paint in there plus some other stuff I don't want to freeze, but mostly the figs. They went dormant because figs do that in low light and cool dry conditions. I started setting them out on warm days and back in at night. Now I just leave them out. Anyway, I mentioned to my DIL that I noticed she had several figs started in small pots and asked if she had a couple she'd sell or otherwise part with. Next day I go out to look at my figs and there by them are five small potted figs. So, I got five where I only had four making nine, not sure where I'll put them all this next winter.

The four older plants I wintered inside the shop are now leafing out, but at least three have already got some small figs starting to develop.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Very nice. Depending on variety you may get 2 crops a year from them. First one in june or so and another later in Aug or sept.

I wish I could keep mine dormant.. Hopefully this year. I did buy a 34 ft trailer and have to hook up power to it. Going to run the pond pump and use it for winter storage of the figs this year. As long as they stay dormant you can just bring them out in the spring and leave them. With mine I put them out in the morning sun and move them under cover by 11 am or so. Probably 1 more week of that and I can just leave them in the sun.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Good to hear that everyone is off to a fine start and if we can just recruit more gardeners we will eventually defeat them fascist commie bass turds!....

Sounds like the fig trees need to be hardened off to the weather each year if they are kept indoors during the winter.

Same with my cannabis plants. They are started in beer cups and gradually up potted and hardened off.

I had about a dozen started and in the hoophouse when this weather situation hit us. So I carried them all back inside and man does it smell good in my house!

Like dead skunks that have been pissed on by cats in a field of rotting fruit....

B7C35A05-2D99-4499-94CB-5C72E3932312.jpeg

I’m going to take cuttings off this fig tree.
Do I have to wait until it goes dormant before I take cuts?...

DEB7B71D-1114-4DD5-8940-A74A27DA693F.jpeg

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Good to hear that everyone is off to a fine start and if we can just recruit more gardeners we will eventually defeat them fascist commie bass turds!....

Sounds like the fig trees need to be hardened off to the weather each year if they are kept indoors during the winter.

Same with my cannabis plants. They are started in beer cups and gradually up potted and hardened off.

I had about a dozen started and in the hoophouse when this weather situation hit us. So I carried them all back inside and man does it smell good in my house!

Like dead skunks that have been pissed on by cats in a field of rotting fruit....

View attachment 128765

I’m going to take cuttings off this fig tree.
Do I have to wait until it goes dormant before I take cuts?...

View attachment 128766
Oh man I love dead skunks that have been pissed on in a field of rotting fruit. :dduck:

If you just want to take cuttings after they go dormant in the fall you can do that. You can also do an airliner now and make more trees. Takes a month or 2 for good roots. then you can separate the airliner and plant it like a tree. Done.
There's a few videos on the tube about air layering figs.. Now would be a good time to do it.. I have a couple I need to get done myself.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I finally have time to get some seed sown today, what with this storm blowing thru. We have been very busy this spring working and moving cattle to grass, and getting ready to start farming. Also been trying to get some fallow ground sprayed, and wheat sprayed for mustard. I am hoping to get most of my peppers and tomatoes sown today. It will be alot less than previous years, as we are not market gardening. I am good with that. I realized I like most people not enough to give two shits if they have fresh food to eat.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I gotta ask, why do you get your smiley plants so large so early or are you gonna finish them inside?

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
I gotta ask, why do you get your smiley plants so large so early or are you gonna finish them inside?
Good question.......

These have just started to flower..
We have approximately 13 daylight hours and 11 dark..

My experiment is to find out if any of these female plants will continue to flower and finish around June..

I’ve done this before with a cultivar called P98 Bubba Kush.

The goal is two outdoor harvests.

This early one and then my regular late season by Sept/Oct.....

B4F3A99F-8D4C-488C-89A4-3058808C3E11.jpeg
052F79B2-16F3-48E6-B2B1-2A300C97EDE5.jpeg
92995B36-82CD-4AFB-AE02-13EB6AF85A39.jpeg

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I still have a lot of work to do but I've been making some progress on my food garden expansion.
Garden-2019-04-26-Img_5637SSSS.jpg

Some of the early stuff is starting to sprout. Good thing it is cold hardy stuff as it is snowing right now, couple inches expected.

Lettuce
Lettuce-2019-04-26-Img_5622SSSS.jpg

Radishes
Radishes-2019-04-26-Img_5623SSSS.jpg

Pea
Pea-2019-04-26-Img_5626SSSS.jpg

Carrots
Carrots-2019-04-26-Img_5624SSSS.jpg

I don't have any pics of them yet but I have tomato (beefsteak, roma, yellow bell and cherry), pepper (jalapeno, serrano, green, yellow, red, orange, red hot cherry) , cabbage, celery, onion and herb plants starting inside.

Jarrod32

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Damn damn damn. I'm gonna have to live through you guys this year. The flooded yard has left the garden a wasteland of silt and muck. Too much work ahead of us rebuilding to think about a garden this year. Already looking forward to next year...but on a more favorable note, the peach trees are budding and blooming. So, from the barren desolation of the flood comes some signs of life...
1556389427456.png

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I got the gardens worked yesterday but won't seed for a couple three weeks yet.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Jarrod I hope your year goes as well as possible and enjoy the cherries.