• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What’s Cracking In The Garden 2019

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Damn damn damn. I'm gonna have to live through you guys this year. The flooded yard has left the garden a wasteland of silt and muck. Too much work ahead of us rebuilding to think about a garden this year. Already looking forward to next year...but on a more favorable note, the peach trees are budding and blooming. So, from the barren desolation of the flood comes some signs of life...
Wishing you the best through all that. Hopefully next year is better and this year you enjoy what the trees can bring.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Can't find the How's your weather thread no how no f'n way so I'll say again, "Plant a garden, yeah right". Yesterdays left but I guess someone likes white and it is.

DSCF1920.JPG

Was gonna do something smart today but it will be smarter not to do it.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Can't find the How's your weather thread no how no f'n way so I'll say again, "Plant a garden, yeah right". Yesterdays left but I guess someone likes white and it is.

View attachment 130658

Was gonna do something smart today but it will be smarter not to do it.

Misery loves company....

We will be hauling a lot of pots indoors this afternoon.....

...FROST ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT MDT /1 AM CDT/TONIGHT TO 9 AM MDT /10 AM CDT/ THURSDAY

* Temperatures...Upper 20s to mid 30s by sunrise Thursday morning,
coldest in eastern Colorado and southwest Nebraska.

* Timing/Duration...Areas of frost will develop between 12 AM and
4 AM MDT and persist until 9 AM MDT Thursday morning.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS
Those with agricultural interests in the advisory area should
consider harvesting or protecting tender vegetation. Potted
plants sensitive to freezing or near freezing temperatures should
be covered or brought indoors.

&&

Issuing Office: Goodland

Source: National Weather Service

Issued: Wed, May 1, 9:37 AM MDT

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Weather permitting, I generally target 5/15 to get the tomatoes/peppers/celery in.
Staring at my tiny ~2 inch tall seedlings and praying they start a massive growth spurt. Pretty good chance I'll want to wait a little later because of that. None the less I've already started hardening them outside.
My red cabbage seedlings look REAL happy though.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Most of my tomatoes have sprouted, and the peppers are still pushing up. Everything is in the coldframe, and I sure aint moving em. I shoot for a putout date of june 1 or later, ive been fucked over by mo nature too many times. Sooner is seldom better, I avged 6 lb on cannabis plants put in the ground a foot tall, on june 1. Its not a race to get em in, the race comes in the fall to get em out, or in the case of veggies, covered so they can have our typical indian summer to finish.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I sowed mustard, kale and mixed spring greens today in lick tubs, filled with used potting soil. It will be time to uppot peppers and tomatoes soon. radishes, chard, spinach, more greens will be sown this week, weather permitting. Still need to sow some cannabis seed as well.

I still have not tilled the garden, but ill have plenty of time, downsizing like im doing this year. It is kind of fun again not having to rush to get everything done for a market garden, and being able to grow what I want to eat, instead of what will sell well. It is meant to rain most of the week, and im good with that. The rain will give more weed seed a chance to sprout, before I work the ground.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Cherries.. I think I have cherries!!. Stems are hanging anyway. The trees grew fast this year too. I fell like they added a good 3 feet of growth over last year. I never saw apples or pears flower though. :(

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Carrots
Carrots-2019-05-07-Img_5855SSS.jpg

Radishes, red romaine and little gem butter head lettuce
Radishes-RedRomain-LittleGemButterHead-Img_5857SSS.jpg

Pea
Pea-2019-05-07-Img_5859SSS.jpg

Oregano
Oregano-2019-05-07-Img_5860SSS.jpg

Tarragon
Tarragon-2019-05-07-Img_5858SSS.jpg

My tomato and pepper plants seem stunted. Sprouted over a month and a half ago and still 2" tall. I think I made the exact mistake I was trying not to make and over watered. So anyway I picked up some supplemental plants at the local farm store. This is what <$14 got me, 1 cherry and big boy tomato, 4 jalapeno, 1 Anaheim, 4 green bell, 2 red bell, 1 orange bell pepper 2 celery.
FarmStorePlants-2019-05-07-Img_5854SSS.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Going to be planting heirloom toms and a variety of peppers this weekend that my buddy started. Been waiting for the torrential rain to quit. For now my raspberry/strawberry/mint patch is starting to flurish but being unfenced, someone decided to eat the unripened berries. My plan has been to let the strawberries and raspberries get well established(after this year)before fencing it off.

Last edited:

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
someone decided to eat the unripened berries
I saw a neat idea, a guy paints rocks bright red and places them around the strawberry plants. Many critters would like a red one more and hopefully will then learn that the things they are seeing are inedible. It might not help much for the ones that already got a meal this year and remember something's there.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I saw a neat idea, a guy paints rocks bright red and places them around the strawberry plants. Many critters would like a red one more and hopefully will then learn that the things they are seeing are inedible. It might not help much for the ones that already got a meal this year and remember something's there.
Good idea. I know the slugs love em so don't know if that would work on them.

Reminds me of the ol' hanging red x-mas tree ornaments on ganja plants to throw off the fuzz.

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Good idea. I know the slugs love em so don't know if that would work on them.

Reminds me of the ol' hanging red x-mas tree ornaments on ganja plants to throw off the fuzz.
Slugs did a real number on some of my celery and peppers last year. After some research I went with Iron Phosphate (Sluggo brand). The slugs like it but it kills them and it is said to be fairly safe to use. You sprinkle a small amount around the target areas, not enough to pile up or anything.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Slugs did a real number on some of my celery and peppers last year. After some research I went with Iron Phosphate (Sluggo brand). The slugs like it but it kills them and it is said to be fairly safe to use. You sprinkle a small amount around the target areas, not enough to pile up or anything.
Preciate the tip E. Nasty little buggers ain't they? :p

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Preciate the tip E. Nasty little buggers ain't they? :p
There's nothing quite like picking a nice looking pepper excited to try it. Bring it in and wash it up and notice a little hole on the pepper in a spot you could not see. Cut it open and there's a slug crawling around inside!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Unfortunately that spot I posted is getting a lot of roof run off until I can rework the roof runoff and water catchment system now in place. Got a few good pointers out of this just now...

Facts About Slugs And How To Kill Garden Slugs Insects
By: Heather Rhoades

Slugs are one of the most damaging pests in the garden. Given the proper environment, a family of slugs can devastate a vegetable crop in a matter of days. Understanding a few facts about slugs, like what do slugs eat, where do slugs live and what eats slugs can help you kill garden slugs in your garden.

Facts about Slugs

What do slugs eat – A better question than what do slugs eat would be what DON’T slugs eat. Slugs will eat any kind of vegetation but prefer tender leaves. This means that particularly tender-leaved plants or seedlings are very vulnerable to slug damage. Slugs will also eat vegetables and fruits, causing unsightly damage to crops.

Where do slugs live – Slugs thrive in a high moisture environment. When considering where do slugs live in my garden, you should look for anywhere that moisture may be retained. Common places to find slugs will be under pots and containers, under mulch, under boards, under rocks and deep in overgrown vegetation.

What eats slugs
– Knowing what eats slugs is one of the most important facts about slugs you should know. Attracting slug predators to your garden can help you control the slug population. Toads, snakes, ducks, chickens and raccoons are some of the most common predators of slugs. Your best bet for healthy slug control, however, will be to attract toads and non-poisonous snakes to your garden. These slug predators will eat your slugs without potentially damaging your plants.

How to Kill Garden Slugs

Now that you know some facts about slugs, you can use them to eliminate the slugs from your garden.

Protect tender plants and seedlings
– As tender plants and seedlings are a slug’s favorite food, they are also the most likely to be killed by slugs. Use diatomaceous earth, crushed eggshells or copper wire around plants to create a barrier that slugs cannot cross.

Put out bait – Put out bait such as a pan of beer or an upside down melon rind. The slugs will be attracted to the tender or liquid treat. With beer, they will drown in it. With the melon rind, you can collect the melon rind (and overstuffed slugs) the next morning and dispose of them.

Remove moist areas near the garden – If you have a problem with slugs, you should look at eliminating the areas near your garden where slugs may live. Mulch or containers may be where the slugs are hiding. Remove mulch from near the affected plants and put footers under containers to raise them up off the ground. Clean up boards and weedy areas and regularly turn rocks over to allow the undersides to dry out. Attract animals that will eat the slugs – Non-poisonous snakes and toads are the best animals to attract to your garden for slug control. These animals exclusively eat small pests and will not damage your plants. Build small woodpiles and put out toad houses to create a home where these animals will feel welcome.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Facts About Slugs And How To Kill Garden Slugs https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/pests/insects/kill-garden-slugs.htm

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
There's nothing quite like picking a nice looking pepper excited to try it. Bring it in and wash it up and notice a little hole on the pepper in a spot you could not see. Cut it open and there's a slug crawling around inside!

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Yeah slugs only really get bad here when there is rain over and over, last year we had some long wet stretches. I was pretty happy when a skunk figured out how to get under my deer fence. No doubt it was helping greatly with the slugs. Kept coming back for whatever it was getting. :)

Might be worth keeping any mulch piles away from my garden though. I tend to keep some close and handy so I can quickly mulch after weeding.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
With any luck the slugs will eat your mint before it overtakes the rest of the plants. Very invasive, and best grown on a pot or tub..
Yeah, It was here when I moved in and I've been selectively plucking it out for the time being as up till now It's all that's grown there. I'm planning to get rid of the rest next year when I get serious about planting.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I made the mistake of planting mint in my 4x8 strawberry bed, now renamed my mint bed since the strawberries are gone. One little plant from the grocery store for like 2 bucks took over completely. I worked hard last year to pull it. best i did was get a few patches of bare spots.. Hoping 1-2 more years and I can finally get it.. Don't let it go to seed. :)

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Thats a nice patch of garlic. Whats that soil like there? Looks kinda hard like a packed clay.. I do have a section of property where the loggers cleared to trim trees and load the trucks. Pretty much been stripped of topsoil and was thinking of how to rebuild it. Maybe start with several different grasses and weeds and just let it grow and build soil on its own.. Also though of trying horseradish to break up the clay.
Kayaking yesterday, came across an island in the river. maybe 3-500 acres with a 50 acre field of just scrub grasses that looked very healthy. Soil was kind of hard clay. I planted a few seeds to see if they would grow.
Well chit , freeze warning , couple nights in the low 30’s and I’m lugging buckets in and out of the hoophouse...

Couple days of rain here which we will gladly take and the garlic is loving it..

View attachment 131363 View attachment 131364 View attachment 131365 View attachment 131366

Otherwise everything else is in baby stages...

View attachment 131368

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Looking good spinal cracker. I like your solar lights to keep your plants in veg. Does it work well?

I was just out with the soil thermometer checking raised bed and ground temps, sitting right at 50 here in both respectively. Next week I will be putting lots of veg seed in the raised beds.

ETC, looks like you got er started in the ground, nice.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Yeah, It was here when I moved in and I've been selectively plucking it out for the time being as up till now It's all that's grown there. I'm planning to get rid of the rest next year when I get serious about planting.
Listen to the cigarlover, and get on that mint. Its making its way over to those elephant ear thingies. It will be there in a month.

Roundup and a tiny paintbrush?

Get you some or youll have a mint bed. It will run out into the lawn even.

Now I grow several varieties in tubs only.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Strawberries are almost done blossoming as are the blueberries, raspberries and blackberries have yet to bloom.
Garlic and onions are growing, although I don't grow near as much garlic as Cracker, it's enough for us.
I did work in some peat moss into the mulch around the blueberries and add some fertilizer while I was at it, just in time for the rain.
Checking on the fig plants daily. picture added, if it resized enough, still looks kinda large.
Tried splitting one of my bee hives yesterday, yet to know if it'll be a success.
Plenty of other stuff planted in the main garden, not sure what all, as wife and DIL take care of the veggie plantings.

Figs2.JPG

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Tried splitting one of my bee hives yesterday, yet to know if it'll be a success.
How does that work?
You need a queen per hive so where does the second queen come from & how do the transferred workers know to be loyal to her?

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
...FROST ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT MDT /1 AM CDT/ TONIGHTTO 9 AM MDT /10 AM CDT/ FRIDAY
The National Weather Service in Goodland has issued a Frost
Advisory, which is in effect from midnight MDT /1 AM CDT/ tonight
to 9 AM MDT /10 AM CDT/ Friday. The Freeze Watch is no longer in
effect.

* Temperatures...In the lower and middle 30s.

* Timing/Duration...From around midnight local time into early
Friday morning.

A Frost Advisory is issued when frost is expected to develop
during the growing season. Those with agricultural interests in
the advisory area should consider harvesting or protecting tender
vegetation. Also...potted plants normally left outdoors should be
covered or brought inside away from the cold.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
...FROST ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT MDT /1 AM CDT/ TONIGHTTO 9 AM MDT /10 AM CDT/ FRIDAY
The National Weather Service in Goodland has issued a Frost
Advisory, which is in effect from midnight MDT /1 AM CDT/ tonight
to 9 AM MDT /10 AM CDT/ Friday. The Freeze Watch is no longer in
effect.

* Temperatures...In the lower and middle 30s.

* Timing/Duration...From around midnight local time into early
Friday morning.

A Frost Advisory is issued when frost is expected to develop
during the growing season. Those with agricultural interests in
the advisory area should consider harvesting or protecting tender
vegetation. Also...potted plants normally left outdoors should be
covered or brought inside away from the cold.
ugggg.. that sucks. U just never know what momma nature gonna throw your way. I stick pretty much with the last frost date before planting. May 15 for me.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
How does that work?
You need a queen per hive so where does the second queen come from & how do the transferred workers know to be loyal to her?
The bees are able to raise a queen by a process I can't explain, because I am not bee smart enough. Their whole culture is very complex, my experience is limited with bees. They are, to me, one of the most interesting and useful insects we need for human existence. Without bees our food supply would collapse. Plus, we get some honey as a benefit.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Listen to the cigarlover, and get on that mint. Its making its way over to those elephant ear thingies. It will be there in a month.

Roundup and a tiny paintbrush?

Get you some or youll have a mint bed. It will run out into the lawn even.

Now I grow several varieties in tubs only.
Yeah, so when I moved in thea whole patch was mint. I added the raspberry, strawberries and allowed the Canna lillies to migrate as well. Right now I use more mint than anything even eating full salads with just mint leaves so have left what's there. In the future I'll yank it all save for an area suitable of better yet as you suggested a container.

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Thanks Silver. I enjoyed watching someone who is more addicted to garlic than me.

His garlic garden looked pretty big , kinda hard to tell.

I’ll tell you this , it’s a lot of hard and tedious work to plant cloves by hand.

I know . 15 rows with approx 75 cloves per row and I quit.

All done on my hands and knees.

But this is how addicts think : Next season plans are for 30 rows and 100 cloves a row.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
There is a market for seed garlic. I see quite a few websites where a guy grows 10-15 varieties on a few acres then mails out bulbs to customers, for planting in fall.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Red! Hope it's still there tomorrow, not quite ripe yet but either way if it's there tomorrow, its food! :)

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Today I did some planting in the garden.

8 jalapeno pepper
4 jupiter (green bell) pepper
2 red bell pepper
2 orange bell pepper
1 anaheim pepper
fantastic tomato
better boy tomato
big boy tomato
sweet basil
Sounds great but if you had our forecast you would be digging them up to bring in to some heat. Wife was gonna leave he tomats outside tonight until I showed her the cast. She has one tomato plant with 14 friggin tomats on it and the dang thing is near 5 foot tall.

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Sounds great but if you had our forecast you would be digging them up to bring in to some heat. Wife was gonna leave he tomats outside tonight until I showed her the cast. She has one tomato plant with 14 friggin tomats on it and the dang thing is near 5 foot tall.
Dang. Was hoping things would warm up for you. Here by some miracle we actually had a spring this year. Last year it went from winter to summer and it was rough. My tomatoes aren't that large and haven't flowered yet but once they establish here they tend to grow very fast.

We have days of rain ahead and not terribly cold or windy so it seemed like a great time to plant. I still have more I want to plant tomorrow. More onion (red and yellow), 2 celery a cherry and roma tomato.

It shouldn't be long before I am eating radishes and soon after leaf lettuce from the raised beds.