• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What’s Cracking In The Garden 2019

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Im up early this morning to water seedlings, forecast high of 90 today.............wtf Most of the seed I planted last week is up, save a few eaten by birds. I should still get a good stand, as I sowed heavy.

The talking heads in my area are saying extraordinary snowpack in the rockies will be melting soon. To me, that means there will be a yuuuuge crop of edible fungi to harvest in the mountains in early august. Boletes, chantrelles, etcetc, ill have to get up there and get my share. Its been many years since I went, im nearly out of dried mushrooms for my winter soups and stews.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Gonna try something different for the fun of it. Had a store bought tomato that not only went to seed but started growing from the fruit. So we are going to cut it in 1/4s and plant them just to see what will happen.

DSCF1925.JPG

Probably be a total waste but it is now so what the [L].

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Gonna try something different for the fun of it. Had a store bought tomato that not only went to seed but started growing from the fruit. So we are going to cut it in 1/4s and plant them just to see what will happen.
That sounds like a fun experiment. I have never noticed a tomato sprout like that. It reminds me last year when I was pruning my big boy tomato plant and realized I somehow let a "sucker" get pretty big on it. I cut the sucker off and put it in water to root to make a clone and then planted it in the garden figuring if I get even one tomato it was all gain. I got a good bunch off of that plant.

Today I planted the rest of my yellow onions and also 2 celery plants. For those who don't know, celery is a great thing to grow. You can eat off of the plant while it is in the ground once it is up to size by cutting off the outside stems as you go. This allows one to eat off of a plant for a long time (depending how much you go through). Forget about shelf life, it's garden-life. :)

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
The forums have been fucked. If its not fixed I wont be posting here anymore. Im sure it will make many happy. I had to look thru piles of useles shit I dont give 2 fucks about just to find this gardening thread.

Wot a mess.

I HATE the fuck out of change.

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
thread now stickied

won't be hard to find,

that is why I asked for suggestions,

actually, also moved it to survival and preps where it should be anyway

there it will fit right in

and for the record, with any thread, all you have to do is 'watch it', then it can't be buried somewhere on you, it will always be in your list of watched threads

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
The forums have been fucked. If its not fixed I wont be posting here anymore. Im sure it will make many happy. I had to look thru piles of useles shit I dont give 2 fucks about just to find this gardening thread.

Wot a mess.

I HATE the fuck out of change.
BUD day-am....just hit your 'content' you know where you have posted previously.....it's what I do because I can't remember shit about forums but I do remember what I have replied too. And, I have a lot of shit in my content but no content in my shit....that came out wrong but I am going to let it stand.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I think ill go take a beer nap. I just need some beer. Been AI'ing heifers all day, I left my sense of humor in the working pens I guess.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Up to your armpits in shit all day I see.

Well I was on my knees all day. Those f'k'n green and yellow rotary mowers. f'n stripped the gear and the stub gear behind the belt, had new gears cut and the gear on the stub welded. The open gear behind the belt driven slip clutch was never finished to index inside the hub and that is why it all failed. BUT I had to draw that hevy sun-na-bitch in...and I gots it done. so's I am beering it up.....

I might have been on my knees all day but dam I hahaahha was never armpit deep in shit. So my condolences....and why are you inseminating so late? Are they heifers?

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Thanks Brother Scorpio.

I use the Forum drop down box and click on Threads That I’ve Posted In and that helps me find stuff...

Corn has Not emerged...
Tomatoes are slow..
Still early here ...
May have a small July 4th harvest of cannabis medicine if I’m lucky..

40C386FE-45FB-44C2-B129-D5BF76F8CFB9.jpeg
2627AF31-4E32-4A1A-885C-BB3F4EEEC38B.jpeg
9531733C-713F-4CE5-AC68-D122A4311FE2.jpeg
D2C582F2-8821-4892-A1AB-3E0F0A461037.jpeg

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
All my stuff is popping right now so I just pull grass till what I want growing gets big enough to shade it out. On another note: We are having a BUMPER crop of new blackberry starts, its like phenomenal. So to cure this problem I have taken the Organic rout and am applying CROSSBOW *snickers* I am such a organic farmer, I know-right?

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Potatoes have started to sprout and radishes are ready to start picking and eating. I am getting back into the habit of picking fresh herbs from the garden for meals.
Pickled Radishes? day-am, never though of it, cool.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
"Picking". But now I wonder what pickled radishes would be like. It sounds good! I plan to eat these fresh and put some lettuce, arugula and swiss chard seeds in the space that opens up.
Poop....I have my beer goggles on*sighs*

The errant thought hit me that radishes would go good with them eggs that I pickle. my bad

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Poop....I have my beer goggles on*sighs*

The errant thought hit me that radishes would go good with them eggs that I pickle. my bad
You should try it as an experiment. A quick search found some instructions for pickling radishes. Maybe next year I will grow enough to pickle. Right now I think I could do 1 jar but may as well have them fresh.

According to google:
Pickled radish, called chikin-mu in Korean, is a radish dish served and eaten with Korean fried chicken.
Thanks Michael, I learned something new to try.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
You should try it as an experiment. A quick search found some instructions for pickling radishes. Maybe next year I will grow enough to pickle. Right now I think I could do 1 jar but may as well have them fresh.

According to google:

Thanks Michael, I learned something new to try.
Hun, I put habaneros in some eggs and jalapenos in others BUT I never thought to put radishes in with them......dam I got a tub of radish seed.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
BUD day-am....just hit your 'content' you know where you have posted previously.....it's what I do because I can't remember shit about forums but I do remember what I have replied too. And, I have a lot of shit in my content but no content in my shit....that came out wrong but I am going to let it stand.
Jeeeepers, mike!! I din' know that.

I've always had a total bitchin' time trying to find old posts. :gracious:

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
Have been checking out the Heirloom varieties at Farmer's Markets, today one guy had Ox Heart, Brandywine, the Golf Ball sized Version of Black Crim; lots of other popular varities, many won't be ready until later in the summer though.

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I put in 4 "Better Boy" beefsteak varieties and some Anaheim and Poblano peppers this week. Waiting for the Fava Beans and onions to finish before I put the Carolina Reapers and Scotch Red Hot peppers in. The hotter they are the longer they take to grow to transplant size it seems.

I do a quick soak of sliced radishes in vinegar and serve them on burgers. Yum!

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
I once had 1/3 acre or so under cultivation and farming, largely mainstream tomatoes. Now just a small piece to put in some tomatoes, picked up some compost today. I worked on over a couple dozen organic and commercial farms in the Northeast years ago.

Rollie Free

Midas Member
Midas Member
Looking for some help here. We haven't been growing onions but my wife and I had a little extra room and thought we'd try. So what I read was of you plant a bulb 3 inches in the ground stem up you get green onions. If you plant stem down with the bulb flush with the top soil you grow full onions. I now have green onion mania. 100% green onions. That's great, they are hardy but not what I really wanted. Did I do something wrong?

Last edited:

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Looking for some help here. We haven't been growing onions but my wife and I had a little extra room and thought we'd try. So what I read was of you plant a bulb 3 inches in the ground stem up you get green onions. If you plant stem down with the bulb flush with the top soil you grow full onions. I now have green onion mania. 100% green onions. That's great, they are hardly but not what I really wanted. Did I do something wrong?
tate-toes. unions and garleek do just fine when they can x-pand. sorry too say I have stuff that is dooooomed,,,sucks to let that out.....but replanting is in order now at least 4 me.

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Looking for some help here. We haven't been growing onions but my wife and I had a little extra room and thought we'd try. So what I read was of you plant a bulb 3 inches in the ground stem up you get green onions. If you plant stem down with the bulb flush with the top soil you grow full onions. I now have green onion mania. 100% green onions. That's great, they are hardly but not what I really wanted. Did I do something wrong?
I have grown onions for several years now with great success.
I have never planted stem down, nor have heard about it. The roots are at the bottom.
I have had my best luck planting onion plants (as apposed to the small bulbs you can buy which are called sets)
This year is the fist year I started the onion plants from seed.
Straw makes a great mulch to keep weeds down. Onions have shallow roots so they don't really like it if you are pulling weeds out and disturb the roots.

Typically in cold weather the greens will grow and then when it gets warmer the bulbs start to grow utilizing the energy from the greens.

Onions are biennial, which means if you plant plants they will not go to seed that year (which is usually good if you're going for bulbs)

What surprised me the first year I grew onions was one day I went out in late July or early August and almost all of the onions had tipped over. I thought something had went wrong only to learn they will do this when they are pretty much done growing. Typically I will give them a week or so after the tip before I pull them from the ground and start the curing process.

migardener on youtube has some great videos on the various stages of growing onions that might help.

Hoping some of this helps you out. I have found onions to be a great thing to grow. I was eating last years onions from about mid July well in to February and I use onion in almost every meal.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Spinalcracker. your tomato starts look good. I have been having a heck of a time getting uppoted, it looks a mess, first priority is the lite dep, we are racing hemp pollen.

I am still putting up garden fence, I cut off a chunk from my old big garden for my new smaller no selling veg to assholes just eat it all garden. We are going to run a flock of geese in the old rest of the big fenced in area. I did pick out the sweetest spot in the big garden to grab my small garden, I hope it isnt too small. It very well might be.

Everything ive planted from seed is kick assing along, I have been killing shit out of packrats, the main garden criminals. I gut them and freeze em whole. I will grind them later, and mix with some beaver castor and beaver sac oil and kill me some coyotes luring t bones on flat sets.

The ground is too cold for my corn. I am going to wait it out for a bit. I like to see my warm weather gear fly out of the ground. If they can have uniterupted grown, w no cold dirt, its game on. As wet as its been I might try to direct sow some chilis and tomatoes as well.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
This is my first year to have a garden since I moved to Montana 10 years ago. I bought 7 well pits for raised beds and planted 12 fruit trees. All the trees are budding out except one McIntosh Apple which seems to be doing nothing. My radishes and sugar snap peas are popping up. I planted some green onion from seed and they're coming up, also planted some bulbs from green onion I bought at the grocery store, all shooting up. My tomato and bell pepper starts are still indoors, I guess I started too late.
I got a load of "composted bark fines" delivered which I'm using for mulch. It's still pretty hot though. Also got a load of topsoil which is mostly clay, all I could find. The Rocky Mountains are mostly rock...decomposed shale mixed with silt, all very infertile. The tree holes are dug deep and wide with my excavator, then backfilled with topsoil, bark fines and native soil.
My dog is keeping a vigilant eye for rodents of any flavor.

Attachments

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
This is my first year to have a garden since I moved to Montana 10 years ago. I bought 7 well pits for raised beds and planted 12 fruit trees. All the trees are budding out except one McIntosh Apple which seems to be doing nothing. My radishes and sugar snap peas are popping up. I planted some green onion from seed and they're coming up, also planted some bulbs from green onion I bought at the grocery store, all shooting up. My tomato and bell pepper starts are still indoors, I guess I started too late.
I got a load of "composted bark fines" delivered which I'm using for mulch. It's still pretty hot though. Also got a load of topsoil which is mostly clay, all I could find. The Rocky Mountains are mostly rock...decomposed shale mixed with silt, all very infertile. The tree holes are dug deep and wide with my excavator, then backfilled with topsoil, bark fines and native soil.
My dog is keeping a vigilant eye for rodents of any flavor.
Too bad you're on the Western side of the state ;)

I grew up near Billings and we always had to fight the wind and sandstone soils, and would generally have to fence in the garden with a solid fence to protect the little seedlings from the wind, and getting anything in the ground before May/June was considered an early planting. So I don't think you're too late.

The McIntosh might just be late or if you had some severe cold, extended below 9°F, you might have some freeze damage. Are there any buds or do the small branches look dry? MIght check the freeze injury susceptibility of your trees.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Too bad you're on the Western side of the state ;)

I grew up near Billings and we always had to fight the wind and sandstone soils, and would generally have to fence in the garden with a solid fence to protect the little seedlings from the wind, and getting anything in the ground before May/June was considered an early planting. So I don't think you're too late.

The McIntosh might just be late or if you had some severe cold, extended below 9°F, you might have some freeze damage. Are there any buds or do the small branches look dry? MIght check the freeze injury susceptibility of your trees.
I just exchanged emails with the guy who sold me the trees and he said he thought it was just slow coming out of dormancy. There are no buds on it at all. There are no small branches, I pruned them all off.
In Western Montana we have shale instead of sandstone.

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I just exchanged emails with the guy who sold me the trees and he said he thought it was just slow coming out of dormancy. There are no buds on it at all. There are no small branches, I pruned them all off.
In Western Montana we have shale instead of sandstone.
One of my maple trees did that this year, was a full month behind the others. But has completely caught up now.
Good Luck!

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
This year, I've had a bumper crop of Fava Beans due to an especially long wet cool spring we've had here in Silicon Valley. The pods just keep popping up and now I've had to resort to giving them away. I popped them out of their pods and then out of the tough inner cover and have made soup, frozen quart bags of them and now will be drying some.

Here's a batch fresh out of the pods prior to parboiling them for final removal from the white covering. This is about 4 quarts, which results in about 2 quarts of super sweet beans, along with sore finger from all the squeezing and peeling.

1559070183104.png

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Talk about rain , holy cow...

Not here but in my old stomping grounds , Tulsa , specifically west Tulsa along the Arkansas River..

And just as bad north of Tulsa in Wichita Kansas , both along the Arkansas River....

I’ve caught many a stripped bass below the dam on Lake Keystone...

The volume of water coming out of the dam is like 3 Niagra Falls...

Wichita Ks......

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Now that things have warmed up a bit here things are really growing fast. Weeds included. Damn weeds. Seems like you can weed an area until you are blue and look at it the next day and blatantly learn about which ones did not come up by the root. Thankful for a thick layer of mulch making it a little easier.

Been eating radishes and lettuce so far. Tomato plants and some of the pepper plants are starting to bud. One of the onions I left in ground last year has bloomed.

Red potato plant
IMG_7131SSS.jpg

Some onions left in the ground last year
IMG_7132SSS.jpg

Onion flower
Img_7134bSSS.jpg

Pea plant
IMG_7136SSS.jpg

Some of the peppers, herbs, tomatoes. The big bush on the left is tarragon, big bush on the right is orregano
IMG_7141SSS.jpg

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Sounds like everyone is battling through poor weather, we are as well.

We have all but everything installed and the gardens are looking pretty good overall between the snow, rain, and otherwise awful and inconsistent weather. Spring may finally be here.

Going heavier with herbs this year...basil, chives, cilantro, dill, fennel, hyssop, oregano, rosemary, sage etc.. Largely in planters/pots close to the house.

Going relatively heavy with stuff we've been quite successful with in the past...garlic, onion, snap peas and several varieties of heirloom tomato.

Otherwise, going with a smaller amount of a greater variety of other stuff. Going with spinach, radish, lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kohlrabi, brussel sprouts, green beans, carrots, peppers, cukes, spaghetti and acorn squash. Cukes and squash have particularly overwhelmed us in the past, so cutting back on those.

Had a great spinach salad this evening, the first of many harvests.

Good luck out there folks!!!

ToBeSelfEvident

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
My wife is right now trying the first of the Cherokee Purple tomatoes. The vines have gotten huge and some fell over, but I have 5 or 6 cages supporting each plant. One of the plants is about 9 feet wide! The first 2 we harvested were over 1 lb each.

I also planted 6 Patio variety and they are producing nicely. We have harvested close to 100 small tomatoes (4-5 oz) and they are tasty.

The Cherokees are the real prize, though. A nice smoky flavor and lots of meat. I'll get some pics of the prettiest ones.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
The Cherokee purps are one of our favorites too...we also like the Black Crimson and have some going now..

I’m seriously thinking about planting my back yard in garlic , well at least most of it...

Here are a few roses and flowers from my yard and my neighbor..

9341AF3E-214D-4052-951D-47FE8089F5D7.jpeg

78746291-8E96-4DCF-B5EB-34F38806F5B8.jpeg
E47CE260-6EF6-4C7D-B21F-F51420425A70.jpeg
071A70D7-A816-43B2-9452-3B85DBAE5115.jpeg
9341AF3E-214D-4052-951D-47FE8089F5D7.jpeg
78746291-8E96-4DCF-B5EB-34F38806F5B8.jpeg
E47CE260-6EF6-4C7D-B21F-F51420425A70.jpeg
071A70D7-A816-43B2-9452-3B85DBAE5115.jpeg
88B0F493-641D-457A-962B-D5B4DB0A8606.jpeg
755B3107-9706-4FF6-8EA8-834B639CEC33.jpeg
0C8F8E53-443F-4CF5-B6A2-CE537EBED863.jpeg
773974D5-9703-42E1-A12E-646D61C59478.jpeg
E480111E-6A9F-4ABE-BE02-A359B9310D93.jpeg
DE054868-A3F2-4018-8177-120C4D5B4088.jpeg
E21C38D3-D1C0-4CF1-8E96-672515056FB5.jpeg
BA5BCC72-145A-409B-82EA-638B30E11512.jpeg
F63AC615-07EE-41F5-8C6C-CB1143496E12.jpeg

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

View attachment 131816

Probably be a total waste but it is now so what the [L].
I did that last year but cut it in slices of about 1/4 inch and plant them./ You'll be surprised how many plants you will get.

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
"Picking". But now I wonder what pickled radishes would be like. It sounds good! I plan to eat these fresh and put some lettuce, arugula and swiss chard seeds in the space that opens up.
Pickled radish is a bit thing in the orient. And they are generally delightful.
Among the most common are the big white daikon, but you will see red radishes on occasion.

Korean's make a daikon kimchi, both with and without chilis.

Japanese make Takuan, which is daikon radish, which tastes like salami, I kid you not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takuan