• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What’s Cracking In The Garden 2019

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
It’s so much nicer hanging out in the garden than what’s going on in the world.

Walking barefoot in the garden is an experience that is rewarding and reality based.

As long as I don’t step on a goat head.

Turn the radio up loud.....

View attachment 132881 View attachment 132882
beautiful shiny leaves!!

Agree about being in the garden. Something I have control over. Politics, not so much. What if gardeners ran the world instead of bankers lawyers and, corporations?

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I can honestly say I ain't never heard of pickled radish's and if I ever get the chance I will try them now[if it weren't for this thread I wouldn't have LOL]. Was out in the raspberry patch cutting off little maple trees and was happy to see the spuds pushing through as well as everything else once I got looking. I watered and fertilized the happy crop yesterday and can say that spinal would bawl if his looked like mine. Drier than a popcorn fart around here[way around] with everyone doing some kinda rain dance. Was over to the pasture 1/4 I rent out to check fence and was pleasantly surprised at the amount of grass. Neighbor who puts critters on it will move a batch of heifers over today. I want every elk in the area D E A D, thhem bastids wreck a whack of fence and some hunter stapled fence down in 2 spots for them to cross where he may of wanted[this plick better hope I don't catch him either as I've always practiced the 3 S's].

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
There is some recipes for radish pickles, french mostly, that make good sandwich condiments. Slice em thin. Ive ate some kimchi, when I was poor, that shit is not for me.

Weve been eating kale, mustard, radishes, and chard here, shit like a spring goose I tell ya. Ive been starting working out to be able to skin 2-300 coyotes, plus assorted critters, this fall winter, and been fucking w trying to get my uncles corn planted.

I had the weekend off, rented a cabin w the old lady and sent the kids to their uncles, we had a great time, and I still ended up waking up at 3 am and pissing on the dresser. Of course I was asleep. the wife woke me up midstream with a high pitched WTF.

Everybodys stuff looks real nice, good job fellers!

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Newbees, or, I caught a swarm of bees yesterday. Oldest grand daughter came and told me, 'there's a lot of bees flying around a tree out back of my shop'. So, I grabbed some equipment and got them into a box. Hoping they stay put but I'll need to do some upgrading to the equipment I used, it all was just a grab and go mix-match. I should have been more ready.

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Last couple years we had a serious problem with potato bugs. Probably not planting any taters this year, as even organic, non-GMO taters are so cheap at the store it may not be worth allocating garden space for.

This year, we already have an issue with flea beetles chewing up our Brassicas (broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts etc.) as well as the radishes. Going to try soapy water laced with cayenne to combat them, followed by diatomaceous earth if we can find it. Neem oil is also an option, but supposedly bad for bees. We don't have bees, but don't want to negatively impact any neighbors that do. I dislike killing insects or any other critters, but these flea beetles can live in someone else's garden and eat their plants instead. Good luck out there folks. Link below to what I'm rambling about:

https://getbusygardening.com/controlling-flea-beetles/

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Never really had a problem with flea beetles in the garden but them little bastids can sure take out a lot of acres of canola in a hurry. Worse in a dry year as the plants don't grow fast enough to get by them.

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

stAGgering

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Seeker
Got Garlic ?
Here is my years supply. Photo 6-1-19.
Planted 11-29-18 and 12-3-18; they came up 4-16-19 and only one out of 265 did not survive winter, rotted roots when I dug bulb/clove.
Primarily German Extra Hardy and Broadleaf Czech with a couple rows of Chesnook Red and two rows of unknown.
Still have 35 heads of delicious garlic in the fridge and harvest will be 2nd week of August.
Soak the cloves in colloidal silver for night before planting, spray newly sprouted with 5-1-1 Alaskan fish foliar, and talk to 'em while they grow fat under 8" of straw.
Been using the same stock for 10 years, with weeding out of weak strains and adding fresh to existing. Go for long storage 4-5 clove strains.
Started with the GXH, Red Russian, Georgian Fire, & German Red and now as above.
Gotta grow your own seed, EXPENSIVE to buy OG at the Common Ground Country Fair or through Fedco.
Have moved a couple times but garlic don't care. Just put 'em in the OG garden soil heavy with compost and Espoma OG Garden Tone.
Cold and wet spring, trees slow with leaves, grass slow, everything about 2 - 3 weeks behind.
First year I have waited until June to plant seedlings, onion, kale, broccoli, and will seed carrot, beets, beans, chard this week.
Apple trees in area have bloomed like mini tsunamis. Me thinks that is a warning as to early fall growing up watching them and deer hunting around old one planted end of 1800's early 1900's. Most of those are dead now.

Pup Pup on vole patrol last year, she'll be 10 in August.
None anymore after putting in 4 vole solar powered vole deterrers. First photo first row six from the right.
Left 'em out over winter and still work. $8- $10 each on Ebad.
Coyote piss can top right on garden fence post, absolutely no deer seen once that went up.

IMG_2551.JPG
IMG_2552.JPG
IMG_1450.JPG

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
My goodness spinalcracker, what do you do with all that garlic? Sell at farmers market, repel vampires, repel thieves, be a pirate to protect from drowning, be a knight with courage and defense in battle?

https://garlicshaker.com/blog/25-reasons-why-garlic-is-believed-to-have-magic-powers/

Just giving you s%@t. Good luck out there fine Sir.
At $6 a bulb or $18 a pound , I may sell a few one of these days..

Let’s say I average 100 bulbs a row , that’s $600 bux...

I have room for 100 rows easy...

That can add up fast...

I need to do more research on a machine that makes a hole and plants the clove pointy end up and research garlic festivals and supply and demand before I go off the deep end...

I would love one of these or something similar.....

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
The garden has been growing like crazy here. Starting to get tiny tomatoes and peppers just gotta be patient. Onion, tomato, celery and potato plants are growing fast and the peppers look nice and healthy. Still been adding to the garden. I planted some purple cabbage a couple days ago and a green pepper plant that finally got big enough from seed. Planted a bunch of pepper plants and a cheery tomato last weekend.

Lettuce needs to pick up the pace. Something got to some of my carrot greens, I suspect a mouse or a vole.

Starting to get peas (fist year growing them). 4 peas growing fast and more flowers are on the way.
Pea-2019-06-19-Img_7463S.jpg

One of the potato buds bloomed already.
PotatoFlower-2019-06-19-Img_7460S.jpg

Cheers :beer:

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I finally got the 6 1/2 foot fence up. I'll put chicken wire on the bottom and 2 strands of electric. Note the motion sensor lite has a portable radio plugged into it so the bears can enjoy rap music as they rip down the fence and steal my veggies. Already eating radishes and lettuce, carrots are real slow and so are all the seed planted tomatoes and peppers. Fruit trees are starting to leaf out. I'm working on the water system and controls. Reverse osmosis is working, just need to hook up pump and float switch, pressure switch and timer etc.

Attachments

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Things are happening fast here with the warmer temperatures and even warmer weather on the way. Little green tomatoes are growing, little peppers are growing. Celery looks really happy. Onions and potatoes and pepper plants look happier than ever. Mainly just eating fresh snow peas lately which are very tasty, of course (my cat likes them too).

Garden-2019-06-25-Img_7565SSS.jpg

Onions
Garden-2019-06-25-Img_7569SSS.jpg

Peppers
Garden-2019-06-25-Img_7571SSS.jpg

Tomatoes on the way
Garden-2019-06-25-Img_7573SSS.jpg

I hope your gardens are doing well.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
(*snork*)

I planted sunflowers. <-- They grow nicely in my nematode-rich Floriduh soil.

There were three bunny rabbits just finishing up the last bit of sunflower plant shoots this moanin'. NOTHING left.

(*sigh*)

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Brother Walter , you are making happy rabbits.

I will gladly trade my skunk for your rabbit.

Near 100 all this week so I’ll be outstanding in my garden with a water hose , a lot.

Except garlic. No more water the next 2-3 weeks before harvest.

The wheat looks pretty good around here and they are supposed to start cutting just south of me near Tribune Ks.......

A few garden shots and my two favorite birds....I don’t know who the chick is behind the rooster with the photo bomb...

22A46247-0DED-42EC-8366-ACE036EC3AE9.jpeg

3ED4E99F-A23B-4786-AD05-C2EB7B291813.jpeg
6A5B267A-7D32-4C99-AE8B-6F83F736D5C9.jpeg

Are they a good looking couple or what!?....

DD31F539-4563-4EFC-965A-82BC315A4168.jpeg

19837059-21E6-4857-908D-9A544E27F769.jpeg
E9B28043-44D3-4CB6-9181-3B02B6E9F20D.jpeg

Attachments

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Do you have trouble with skunks in the garden?

I had a skunk figure out how to get under my garden fence last year. He regularly would get in during the night and scrounge around the whole garden. Not once did I find any damage done by it. I think it was eating slugs which would be beneficial since the slugs love to eat peppers and celery.

Rabbits on the other hand love eating every plant they can find.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Hey, brother cracker, those are some fine lookin chickens!
I like the expression (do chickens have expressions?) on the one behind the puffed up rooster <heh>.
BF

Oh, and brother Eric, that garden plot there looks like a fine place for you to build an observatory>

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Just pokin fun at ya, pal.
I saw your comment in the Astronomy pictures thread about that.
:Happy:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Coopersmith said don't be a pussy so I pushed myself to put in a small garden this year...thanks Coop!

My good buddy gave me the starts he had left over and the fencing so really the garden made itself! I chose a spot and whammo, instant garden. So far so good. A couple varieties of heirloom toms, couple bell peppers, couple serrano's and a couple japs with one eggplant. My Canna lilly's just blossomed a couple days ago too...also had another lilly sprout out for the first time since living here due to letting things grown out.

Edit: It got in so late due to our heavy rains and my having a 2 week trip back east right after. Better late than never.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I have no idea why there's a giant concrete pad in the back yard but I think I made good use of it as my garden entrance.

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Could it be a base to an old shed?

I had to laugh about that because there's weird cement stuff here and there around my property. There are 2 big slabs stacked on top of each other by the driveway for some reason. I hired a company to come move them into a spot to make a patio but they weren't able with their equipment and I never followed up on that. Since then I learned it makes a good vantage point for sky watching.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Could it be a base to an old shed?

I had to laugh about that because there's weird cement stuff here and there around my property. There are 2 big slabs stacked on top of each other by the driveway for some reason. I hired a company to come move them into a spot to make a patio but they weren't able with their equipment and I never followed up on that. Since then I learned it makes a good vantage point for sky watching.
Possible but it woulda been a tiny 4'x4' shed with a 4" slab.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Possible but it woulda been a tiny 4'x4' shed with a 4" slab.
Probably where the outhouse used to sit. Keep future owners from planting their garden on it. Ha!
4x4 is about the right size for an outhouse - them things usually just had a two-hole bench, not a tub, shower or lavatory to worry about and no electric light either. So, just put a 2x4 form around it, fill in some dirt and pour a slab over it.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
If only that old toilet could talk...

Don’t you know some shit went on in that outhouse...

If I’m not mistaken , don’t certain prospectors look for old outhouse sites to excavate for old timey treasure?...

A lot of things were deposited in those holes don’t ya know...

A angry girlfriend dumping her boyfriends shaving mug , straight razor , and anything else she can grab in her fit of rage and throw down the toilet!.....

Sunofabitch!....

Watches , jewelry , and coins most likely down there too....
But excavating cured and dried shit holes must take a special kind of treasure hunter....

C8360B0C-70C2-43F2-813C-EE25C2A2339C.jpeg

stonedywankanobe

.409'er
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Early April in the blueberry patch. Were a whole lot this type action. My 14 bushes hummed for 3 weeks straight.

IMG_1503.JPG

June 3rd here

IMG_1651.JPG

We've been picking daily for the last several weeks, so far we've pulled around 4 1/2 gallons of berries. I figure the mockingbirds have knocked off at least a gallon. I have four bushes of the rabbiteye variety which are completely loaded down and yet to ripen. Probably at least another 3 gallons to go this year. All told I've got maybe 4 times the berries this year as I had last year, It's been crazy watching these things grow.

Taken June 17
IMG_1681.JPG

IMG_1685.JPG

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I could never get sick of blueberries. Nice crop sir. Nice pics too.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
If only that old toilet could talk...

Don’t you know some shit went on in that outhouse...

If I’m not mistaken , don’t certain prospectors look for old outhouse sites to excavate for old timey treasure?...

A lot of things were deposited in those holes don’t ya know...

A angry girlfriend dumping her boyfriends shaving mug , straight razor , and anything else she can grab in her fit of rage and throw down the toilet!.....

Sunofabitch!....

Watches , jewelry , and coins most likely down there too....
But excavating cured and dried shit holes must take a special kind of treasure hunter....

View attachment 134747
Can anybody else not help but seein' pot plants in any of Cracker's pictures? lol Swore I saw a new hybridized ganja ground cover there for a second. :weed:

stonedywankanobe

.409'er
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Thanks Etc. I planted these a few years back because my youngest daughter was keeping me broke with her blueberry habit. Bought most of those off season after they had went on sale at various places. Got most of those for 5 to 8 bucks apiece.

There's a lady on Facebook yard sale site here selling these for 25 bucks a gallon. At those prices my patch will have paid for itself twice over this year alone. Crazy