• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What’s Cracking In The Garden 2019

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Sounds like fried squash blossoms..
Oh, deary dear!!

I would never have mentioned the glory of fried squash blossoms. lemme tellya how it was in 1945/6:

You had a squash garden, and you had a blue jillion squash about to come. So they would send us kids out to do the following:

Pick HALF the blossoms. Pick ALL the squash that were small. Save the huge (yech) squash for the seeds.

Breaded squash blossoms and trout... fried in butter. I haven't had any in 50 years. (*sob*)

BTDT.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Oh, deary dear!!

I would never have mentioned the glory of fried squash blossoms. lemme tellya how it was in 1945/6:

You had a squash garden, and you had a blue jillion squash about to come. So they would send us kids out to do the following:

Pick HALF the blossoms. Pick ALL the squash that were small. Save the huge (yech) squash for the seeds.

Breaded squash blossoms and trout... fried in butter. I haven't had any in 50 years. (*sob*)

BTDT.
And you had to catch the trout with a stick and thread from your clothes right?

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Next person to say fried or butter or heavenly's getting smacked! I'm trying to loose weight over here!
I have good news for you, if you are feeling froggy and would like to jump.

Tiger lily buds SPRAYED with butter spray: 42 fargin calories for ten of them.

GO FOR IT, MY BOY!!!!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

GO FOR IT, MY BOY!!!!
Just went and took a look at the pods. Going to give em another day or two. I might try em in coconut oil.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
And you had to catch the trout with a stick and thread from your clothes right?
Awright, NOW ya done it. The following (thanks to my Daddy training me) happened on the Roeliff Jannsen Kill in Rhinebeck, New Yawk in 1950:

A man was fly-fishing nearby. He had a hat full of little fishing flies, a creel, waders, yada. He was casting and yadayada...

Yer Unca (age 10) eeeeeases down to a rock with an overhang.

Equipment Required: Me. Nuffin' else. Nothing at all manufactured. Just fingles.

I reached under the rock from the downstream side, feeling for a fin.

Yup. Felt the fin. There was a trout under the rock. I began to tickle the trout, using my thumb and forefinger -- one on each side of the fish, doing gentle touchy-touchy. Gently, gently eeeeased my hand forward, tickling gently, until I was close enough the grab the trout right behind the gills and pull him out of the water.

The guy with the (empty) creel and five thousand bucks worth of gear stood there with his mouth absolutely wide open and the grinning little kid hauled up a foot-long trout IN HIS HAND.

Ah, the memory still shines.

Now... did I tell you how my Daddy taught me to catch a squirrel with a pocketknife? I have passed this on to my two sons, and they both have successfully done it.

You cut a sapling (sassafras is best because it is whippy) so that you have about three feet of twig, and use your pocketknife to cut off the end branch so that there is only about 3/4" inch left forming a "Y" with pointy tips.

Go walking inna woods until you find a squirrel hole in a tree. Stick your forked end into the hole and begin twisting.

You will hear the squirrel growling and barking and being really pissed. Tough shit, squirrely, just keep turning and turning the stick in your hand. When it gets pretty stiff -- at least ten turns, pull it out...

...and you will have a totally pissed-off squirrel hanging from his knotted, tangled tail. TINS, Grasshopper.

Take a rock or stick, and brain the little bastage. He's yours.

I taught this trick to my grandson, also. But with him, we were futzing with rabbits. He caught a rabbit. He tells the story over and over again how Grampa showed him how.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Now you bastages have yer Unca on a Memory Lane trip.

Anybody here know how to make a spool tank? A slip-whistle? Here's an article I wrote for a magazine decades ago... just after Daddy died.

Arcane Things My Daddy Taught Me

© Walt C. Snedeker

Daddies are magical. And here is one of the little measurements of life: If you still refer to him as your Daddy in your adultery, then he gets the prize.

Now, don't get me wrong; if he's "Pop", "Father", "Dad", or the like, there's no problem, there's nothing wrong. It's just that the magic isn't there anymore. Remember: It used to be "Daddy", right?

In order for a Daddy to be magical, he must have a few special characteristics. He must know the answer to every question you could ever think of. And he must be able to show you and tell you and make things for you that nobody else in the world knows anything about.

Like spool tanks. One snowy day, when there was no way to go outdoors, Daddy built a spool tank for me. I was just a tweeny kid, bored silly. It, and its cousins fascinated me for hours.

A spool tank requires a spool from Mom's sewing kit (in our house, the spool had to be empty), a thumbtack, kitchen match, and a slice of an old candle with the wick bored out.

Oh, and a rubber band. You pushed the rubber band through the hole in the spool, slid a busted piece of kitchen match through the end loop of the rubber band, and used the thumbtack like a doorstop to make it so the kitchen match wouldn't spin.

Then, on the other end of the spool, you worked the rubber band through the disk of candle. As soon as you slipped the cannon (some people might call it the ink tube from a ballpoint pen) through the end loop sticking through the candle disk, you were ready to wind 'er up!

About twenty or thirty turns later, you placed the spool tank on the floor, and it would slowly trundle across the room, scaring the bejeebers out of the cat. Every now and then the cannon would tilt, simulating firing. Magical.

None of the other kids in the neighborhood had a spool tank until I showed them how to make one.

Daddy didn't stop there by any means. I would be walking along in the woods with him, idly watching him with his pocketknife and a small piece of wild cherry branch, and he suddenly would hand me a slip-whistle made from that branch.
Here's how he did it: It seems that wild cherry bark can be removed intact from its branch. So he'd loosen it, but before he removed it, he'd cut a "window" that resembled the shape of a steamboat whistle in the bark.

Then he'd take the tube of bark off, put it in his shirt pocket, and cut away some wood.

When he slipped the tube back on and handed it to me, my magical Daddy would have produced a multi-toned whistle from nowhere!

He made pinwheel boomerangs from the yardsticks that hardware stores used to give away. Daddy would cut the yardstick at exactly the 18-inch line, and drill a small hole in the middle of the two remaining pieces. Then, holding the pieces tightly together, he'd use his grinder as a power-sander, and bevel one edge of each.

A small screw-and-nut combination through the holes, and the X-shaped boomerang would be ready for me to fling.

Magical.

Daddy taught me how to make whip-darts, slingshots, and ceiling walkers (talk about scaring the cat -- ceiling walkers made him disintegrate).

And he taught me how to catch a squirrel with just a boy's penknife. And how to "tickle" trout. (It was a monumental day when I caught a trout with my bare fingers while a guy with a jillion dollars worth of gear stood there watching -- and troutless!)

Needless to say, these and a bunch more things like them were passed on to my boys.

And, yes... although they are grown and gone, they still call me "Daddy".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Take a piece of lath about 2-3 feet long, and sharpen one end with your pocketknife. In the Olden Days, since yardsticks were giveaways at the hardware store, we used them a lot.

Cut a small notch about 4" back from the pointy end. OK, that's your dart.

Tie a piece of good kite string to a whippy-stick that is about 2 feet long, and tie a loop in the bitter end of the string.

Hook the loop into the notch of your dart, and pull tension on it with your whippy-stick. Swing the stick forward at the same time you release the end of the dart.

Sumbitchin' dart goes sailing off into the sky -- and if you are lucky, right into traffic or sumpin. Kewl. I have many happy memories of whip-dart battles with my buds. A hit was a point. Three points won. Dangerous as hell, now that I look back onnit. I got dinged in the forehead once. But lotsa more fun than cap-guns and cowboys and injuns.

I guess it is sort of an atlatl concept.

Last edited:

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
First picking of Green Beans.
Planted Jade, bush bean supposed to be long slender stringless.
Went in 5/17, so first picking is only 45 days or so.
Got the pickin & nippin done early & now that it's warming up will make the kitchen steamy with blanchin & freezin.

Attachments

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
First picking of Green Beans.
Planted Jade, bush bean supposed to be long slender stringless.
Went in 5/17, so first picking is only 45 days or so.
Got the pickin & nippin done early & now that it's warming up will make the kitchen steamy with blanchin & freezin.
Glock -- I'd like to ask you to try something we useta do in The Olden Days with some of your green beans .

It won't hurt, and it is kinda fun to do... and it gives you green beans with a totally different flavor.

Put aside a coupla hunnert green beans. Get the Fambly to sit around and push a threaded needle through the middle of a bean, followed by more beans. Crossways, not lengthwise -- like a sword in the guts. You get a string of beans shot through with thread. Hang the beans in the attic (seriously!!!) in looping garlands, and let the dry for a coupla months.

Take 'em down, pull out the threads, and cook the string beans. Dee-licious and woody-flavored as well as very tender.

That's a recipe from my family from the 1940's. Did it every year up on the farm. Wish I had some.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Take a piece of lath about 2-3 feet long, and sharpen one end with your pocketknife. In the Olden Days, since yardsticks were giveaways at the hardware store, we used them a lot.

Cut a small notch about 4" back from the pointy end. OK, that's your dart.

Tie a piece of good kite string to a whippy-stick that is about 2 feet long, and tie a loop in the bitter end of the string.

Hook the loop into the notch of your dart, and pull tension on it with your whippy-stick. Swing the stick forward at the same time you release the end of the dart.

Sumbitchin' dart goes sailing off into the sky -- and if you are lucky, right into traffic or sumpin. Kewl. I have many happy memories of whip-dart battles with my buds. A hit was a point. Three points won. Dangerous as hell, now that I look back onnit. I got dinged in the forehead once. But lotsa more fun than cap-guns and cowboys and injuns.

I guess it is sort of an atlatl concept.
My old man used to make arrows outta cedar shingles[and would do it like it was a very important job, including finding the balance point to make the notch] and a 4 foot by 3/4 inch willow branch. He'd stand on the front step and fling them things over the big barn that was 150 yds from the house. while in the grain elevator one day he brought up the fact he could shoot one over the next door elevator[75 yds away], to which someone called BS. Of course he got them to bet a bottle of rye each and he went to work. Cleared that baby by probably 40 feet and then got pissed as a nit with them fellas a couple days later LOL.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
My old man used to make arrows outta cedar shingles[and would do it like it was a very important job, including finding the balance point to make the notch] and a 4 foot by 3/4 inch willow branch. He'd stand on the front step and fling them things over the big barn that was 150 yds from the house. while in the grain elevator one day he brought up the fact he could shoot one over the next door elevator[75 yds away], to which someone called BS. Of course he got them to bet a bottle of rye each and he went to work. Cleared that baby by probably 40 feet and then got pissed as a nit with them fellas a couple days later LOL.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There It Is.

Daddies taught sons how to make whip darts back in The Olden Days. The willow branch would make a fine whippy. We usually used sassafras.

Hey. Why'd he git pissed? Did they Welsh?

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
They didn't welsh but they all drank it together and he got pissed and was about like a water balloon to move. Ma was the next one pissed. LOL

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Next person to say fried or butter or heavenly's getting smacked! I'm trying to loose weight over here!

Fresh okra , onions , green tomatoes , cornmeal , flour , salt and pepper.

Mix some cornmeal and flour , make an egg batter , dip the okra and green tomatoes in the batter , then the cornmeal , then in the frying pan , add the onions and maybe garlic and fry it all in bacon grease!....

Just sliced green tomatoes in that batter and cornmeal all fried up is killer!...

All deep fried in bacon grease!...

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Orangutan from Borneo photographed using a spear tool to fish

Posted by Kambiz

Tool use among orangutans was first documented by Carel van Schaik. In 1994, Carel observed orangutans developing tools to help themselves eat, while conducting field work in Gunung Leuser National Park, in the northwest Sumatra.

Specifically the orangutans were using sticks to pry open pulpy fruits that have “Plexiglas needles” capable of delivering a painful jab covering them.

Using the tools, the orangutans were getting past handling the prickly husk and into the nutritious fruit.

From an anthropological viewpoint, tool use represents an aspect of culture, since the entire group participates in a behavior that has developed over time.

One unique thing to clarify is that only Sumatran orangutans have been observed to use tools, not orangutans from Borneo.

7C79DEC9-B23D-44DE-8F22-DDCC2A057F3E.jpeg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

engineear

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Give that monkey an Ambassador 5000 and he will be a Bassmaster Pro in no time.

Been harvesting garlic and 1/3 down ......
Hollyhocks and corn are moving right along and I let some onions bloom..

View attachment 135443
View attachment 135442

View attachment 135445

View attachment 135444

View attachment 135446

View attachment 135448

View attachment 135447
So...THATS a bloomin' onion! And all this time I thought they came from Australia.
Better clear out that weed patch, it'll take over the whole area...oh...nevermind.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
The babies are growing up...All doing well except the one pepper plant I stepped on. He didn't make it. The peppers look like they could use some nitrogen. Any thoughts?

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
The babies are growing up...All doing well except the one pepper plant I stepped on. He didn't make it. The peppers look like they could use some nitrogen. Any thoughts?
Yellowing could be a nitrogen deficiency. It also can happen if they sunburn (most commonly on new plantings). It probably wouldn't hurt to give them a good feeding. I can't say what works best yet, only in the last year did I finally start to realize my peppers could have used more care. Last year I gave them a fish based fertilizer and also often would fill a pale with weeds and soak the weeds in water and feed that to the peppers. The leaves greened up quite a bit so one of those steps helped.

Yesterday I finally sprinkled some Epsom salt around the pepper and tomato plants. First time trying that, hoping it will help. It has been too wet to apply it to the leaves.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Yellowing could be a nitrogen deficiency. It also can happen if they sunburn (most commonly on new plantings). It probably wouldn't hurt to give them a good feeding. I can't say what works best yet, only in the last year did I finally start to realize my peppers could have used more care. Last year I gave them a fish based fertilizer and also often would fill a pale with weeds and soak the weeds in water and feed that to the peppers. The leaves greened up quite a bit so one of those steps helped.

Yesterday I finally sprinkled some Epsom salt around the pepper and tomato plants. First time trying that, hoping it will help. It has been too wet to apply it to the leaves.
Good point about the sunburn as the the Toms were yellowing too until the roots got hold. I've used epsom salt on the lawn before. It only adds magnesium right?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Never grew a pepper but most plants would like a lot of micro nutrients and nitrogen.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Never grew a pepper but most plants would like a lot of micro nutrients and nitrogen.
I turned in and filled the bottom of the holes with aged compost so hopefully the worms are happy and that'll kick in soon.

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I always use a mixture of bone meal and blood meal when planting my peppers and tomatoes, they are good fertilizers on their own and the bone meal also provides calcium for the tomatoes. Then around mid-season, I'll mix in a handful of each around the plants. I also give them a weekly dose of Fox Farm Bloom fertilizer during the fruiting phase. https://foxfarmfertilizer.com/

Marijuana loves Fox Farm products.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

GO FOR IT, MY BOY!!!!
Okie Dokie Unca! Snapped off a few buds and fried'ed 'em in coconut oil. It was cool seeing and hearin' um pop open and getting all speckled.

I held em by them stems and gobbled 'em right down. Chased em with a tiny sliver of jap-eno. Very nice combo. The smaller ones we're the slightest bit bitter but the biggun was very nice. Closest thing I can think to the texture and taste would be asparagus. Quite similar really. This was just a test, I'll definitely try em again.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Ready for the payoff? Fargin tiger lilies DON'T FARGIN GROW down here.

(*sigh*)

And I loved them as a kid. Cannot go pick them now... all I get is acai-berries. :Out:

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Even in the North if you try hard enough you get to enjoy the fruits of your[or your wifes] labor. We each had a tomato and onion sammich last eve that were to die for[especially after reading what you guys already had]. Potatoes are blooming and my raspberry's look to be coming on nicely. Had 7/10's of rain over the weekend so everything is jumping now.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
The goats got in my garden and ate every fucking one of my pepper plants to the ground.

Let that be a lesson for you goat lovers. I am no longer a goat lover, they will be going to the sale barn shortly. I wanted to shoot em rambo style, the wife wouldnt let me.

They dont seem to like tomato plants, fwiw..........