• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What’s Cracking In The Garden 2019

Jarrod32

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Here is what's cracking in my garden.

Pepper plants
View attachment 135539

Onions and potatoes
View attachment 135540

Tomatoes
View attachment 135541

Celery
View attachment 135542

Onions
View attachment 135543

Orange pepper
View attachment 135544

Jalapeno.
View attachment 135545
Looking good, EricTheCat. And the rest of you. I enjoy seeing all the success out there, but it drives me nuts that I am not right there with you. You guys keep rockin on. I will catch up next year. In a big way...

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Looking good, EricTheCat. And the rest of you. I enjoy seeing all the success out there, but it drives me nuts that I am not right there with you. You guys keep rockin on. I will catch up next year. In a big way...
Thanks! I am glad if it helps you get through this hard year.

Been eating peas like crazy here. I picked about 28 pods today and still had some from previous days.

Started eating a few of the last years onions that didn't flower and tipped. Small (2" at most) but good. Most of last years onions are hip high with flower buds.

Still waiting for the peppers and tomatoes. Some tomatoes starting to yellow. It always seems like the first ripening takes forever. Some jalapenos will possibly be ready to pick in a week or so.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
The goats got in my garden and ate every fucking one of my pepper plants to the ground.

Let that be a lesson for you goat lovers. I am no longer a goat lover, they will be going to the sale barn shortly. I wanted to shoot em rambo style, the wife wouldnt let me.

They dont seem to like tomato plants, fwiw..........

HOWDY COOP!!!

Welcome to Unca Walt's Exclusive Club of Everything Eaten By Animobiles!!!

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Garlic looks to be ready. Right on time. July 15th every year seems to be the sweet spot for me. I harvest based on what the weather looks like.
Also have some onions I planted last year. Guess they didn't come up or something but they did this year. I just let them go so they produce seeds. I'm guessing another week or 2 on the seed.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Our garlic is drying curing now and then it gets processed , big bulbs set aside for seed stock , the rest for medicine..

It’s a lot of back breaking work planting , harvesting , and processing garlic.

E71E4B24-EA26-449C-91DD-FB5BE551F1F5.jpeg

Here is some of my helpers...

5D01676B-C2B4-48E3-A0E3-AD33F507998C.jpeg

This is Boscoe de Gama catching some shade....

836305C5-B76A-480A-A599-A68853C51ED1.jpeg

Hollyhocks and corn and tomatoes..

1BCE006C-79E8-4B5B-812D-96AA1EEAC63A.jpeg

I need some therapy , to much heinous demonic news , must diligently guard ones Peace.

For me today that would be planting tomatoes and smoking cannabis flowers...

4C3FA2D1-127F-4103-9EB1-9D7DC4A56BC6.jpeg

879F3EBF-40B3-462F-B351-A288D5939B1A.jpeg

engineear

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Our garlic is drying curing now and then it gets processed , big bulbs set aside for seed stock , the rest for medicine..

It’s a lot of back breaking work planting , harvesting , and processing garlic.

View attachment 135900

Here is some of my helpers...

View attachment 135902

This is Boscoe de Gama catching some shade....

View attachment 135903

Hollyhocks and corn and tomatoes..

View attachment 135904

I need some therapy , to much heinous demonic news , must diligently guard ones Peace.

For me today that would be planting tomatoes and smoking cannabis flowers...

View attachment 135905

View attachment 135907
Wowzers! I'll take leftovers and sloppy 2nds. PM me for shipping directions. Haven't done anything like that in decades.
Is it legal to ship, after all...their weeds for cripes sake! Clintons do worse from Arkansas...just sayin.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
What the [L] do ya do with that much garlic? Wife figures you run a pickling business.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Holy smokes, Spinal!! :godfather

That "bud" -- I had no idea they could be so big. You could stay stoned for months with that. What is it about your chickums that gives them such wonderful poop?

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter

Red Stripe!!!!

Holy Shit!!! Every time we go to Jamaica, that is all the liquid I take in. The cops in Jamaica (uniforms are odd) have a red stripe on their pants. <-- That is about all that is common. They could be wearing Bengals T-Shirts or straw hats.

Aurumag

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Site Supporter

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Sunflowers have started to bloom in my flower garden.

Sunflower-2019-07-18-Img_8821S.jpg

Some rodent dug out my dill plant a few weeks ago. Evidently the rodent planted a stash of sunflower seeds in that pot because now there are a bunch of little sunflower plants that have sprouted. #1 suspect is one of the chipmunks. To the right of the pot there is some milkweed with milkweed tussock moth caterpillars which are what decimated the milkweed plant on the left.

SunflowerPlants-2019-07-18-Img_8822S.jpg

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
"Some rodent dug out my dill plant a few weeks ago. Evidently the rodent planted a stash of sunflower seeds in that pot because now there are a bunch of little sunflower plants that have sprouted."

Jeez. You have polite animobiles. At my place, a raised platform with electric fencing and bomb tripwires do not deter the Viking raiding party critturs from removing all vestiges of my sunflowers.

And they leave the pots half-empty of soil...

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
"Some rodent dug out my dill plant a few weeks ago. Evidently the rodent planted a stash of sunflower seeds in that pot because now there are a bunch of little sunflower plants that have sprouted."

Jeez. You have polite animobiles. At my place, a raised platform with electric fencing and bomb tripwires do not deter the Viking raiding party critturs from removing all vestiges of my sunflowers.

And they leave the pots half-empty of soil...
Buggers! What's digging your pots out? Sounds like something a raccoon would do.

Some are more polite than others. I used to have trouble with woodchucks. They would eat the baby sunflower plants down to nothing. Now I sprinkle fox scent around that garden and it works wonders to keep them away.

The raccoon wasn't too polite when it decided to tear open a bag of mulch and spread it all over the driveway.

For my food garden, I have deer fence around it. That keeps the rabbits, raccoon and deer out.

2 days in a row I have noticed fresh fox droppings on my driveway. That'll help with the critters!

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Looks like everyone’s in full speed ahead mode.

105 here today so we water weed do chores at daylight and dusk with a long siesta sesh in between work where we bbq eat watermelon make apricot jam and all kinds of debauchery....

Finally getting a few tomatoes and peppers....

If we avoid the hail and bullshit prairie winds , we might mess around and fill our medicine cabinet..

CA8CDBB5-C656-4E0A-90DA-6B17381835C8.jpeg
C1C541C9-EED2-450B-ADC5-4A5AF51DCEFB.jpeg
1258471A-9DA0-42C6-BF64-8C9816D2F518.jpeg
B3FFCD68-7336-40C5-825E-D5965EA9B123.jpeg
0ED8A84D-7876-45ED-9D86-7CE44D563F92.jpeg
11189F43-A3E1-4496-AA0B-18B4E9D42254.jpeg
CE3924A2-D22B-422D-90C6-402F211603C4.jpeg

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Well it's now Raspberry season as I et near a gallon. Wife then informed me there is a fresh 8 lb chicken in the ovink with fresh spuds and dill to wash her down. Best food time of the year for sure. Even got a gorgeous young thang coming out for berry's an a few days. Gonna be home that day for sure.

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I picked 25 pea pods today, 40 yesterday. Been eating a lot of them but the supply keeps getting bigger.

A jalapeno is ready to be picked with many soon behind.

Tomatoes taking agonizingly long to ripen. Then it won't be long that I will have more than I know what to do with. Maybe tomorrow I will make some fried green tomatoes just to get started. Made them one time last year, first time I tried them. They were great!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

105 here today so we water weed do chores at daylight and dusk with a long siesta sesh in between work where we bbq eat watermelon make apricot jam and all kinds of debauchery....

If we avoid the hail and bullshit prairie winds , we might mess around and fill our medicine cabinet..

View attachment 136624 View attachment 136625 View attachment 136626 View attachment 136627 View attachment 136628 View attachment 136629 View attachment 136630
Good lawd the BUSHES!
Unca Walt, this guy is a master tease huh? Hell of a gardener for sure!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
In person the garden looks great but im rather ashamed when posting a very unflattering pictures in this thread. Especially with Eric and Cracker around. :p

Anyway, I don't have tomato cages so hot pink string it is!

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
It muzt be tough for the folk without gardens to see this thread. Kinda/sorta like me on that thread irons keeps posting tatoos on. I think I may have to get a new wife cause she cooked enough new taters for three meals and they is all gone and now I hertzs I does.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

View attachment 136624 View attachment 136625 View attachment 136626 View attachment 136627 View attachment 136628 View attachment 136629 View attachment 136630

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Hahahaha good one Mr Newmisty..

Those look like bushes cause when they was young I pinched off the tops ( ah believe my Ag professor called it the apical meristem?)....

Plant spreads out instead of going up.

This year I tried pinching off the tops of some of my pepper plants to make them produce more...

Fecking storms coming through tonight , lots of wind , hail , the plants are at the mercy of Mother Nature tonight...

This plant was not topped ...

EC45FE8C-D85F-4001-BC1F-61D9D05225C4.jpeg

This one was......
D4A95C8D-9629-4626-9F0A-9EE3F3F23552.jpeg

15-25 mph wind right now with the worst to come about an hour from now..

49752DCF-47DC-4093-934F-CF2C4C858EF3.jpeg

View attachment 136738

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Hahahaha good one Mr Newmisty..

Those look like bushes cause when they was young I pinched off the tops ( ah believe my Ag professor called it the apical meristem?)....

Plant spreads out instead of going up.

This year I tried pinching off the tops of some of my pepper plants to make them produce more...

Fecking storms coming through tonight , lots of wind , hail , the plants are at the mercy of Mother Nature tonight...

This plant was not topped ...

View attachment 136735

This one was......
View attachment 136736

15-25 mph wind right now with the worst to come about an hour from now..

View attachment 136737

View attachment 136738
Lawd! Walt's gonna freak.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Good lawd the BUSHES!
Unca Walt, this guy is a master tease huh? Hell of a gardener for sure!
The fargin guy is Johnny Appleseed redux.

EVERY FARGIN THING HE TOUCHES -- grows like mad.

Even when he doesn't touch... he gets huge :weed:in the fargin ditch that doesn't even have fertilizer. (*sob*) (*whimper*).

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Fuck you did ok, get out the duct tape and splints.

that old school corn will blow over every chance it gets.

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
It muzt be tough for the folk without gardens to see this thread. Kinda/sorta like me on that thread irons keeps posting tatoos on. I think I may have to get a new wife cause she cooked enough new taters for three meals and they is all gone and now I hertzs I does.
I used to have a beautiful small garden in my back yard, no more than 225 square feet. My next door neighbor planted a tiny tree in his back yard with the pledge that "when it reaches specimen size I'm going to transplant it to the front." Well, the man, who had Parkinson's disease, fell down his steps, hit his head on the concrete sidewalk, went to the hospital, and never came home. Every time I tried to talk to widow Ruth about how I wanted to take the rapidly growing tree down, the words "the tree" were barely out of my mouth when she'd interrupt with "Oh, Harold loved that tree so much." Now the tree is about 50 feet tall and my garden is gone -- can't grow much in 4 hours of sunlight.

Ruth is gone now too and so is their son. There's a certain irony in this story. That they're all dead; yet the tree flourishes and threatens to take down my phone and power lines.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I used to have a beautiful small garden in my back yard, no more than 225 square feet. My next door neighbor planted a tiny tree in his back yard with the pledge that "when it reaches specimen size I'm going to transplant it to the front." Well, the man, who had Parkinson's disease, fell down his steps, hit his head on the concrete sidewalk, went to the hospital, and never came home. Every time I tried to talk to widow Ruth about how I wanted to take the rapidly growing tree down, the words "the tree" were barely out of my mouth when she'd interrupt with "Oh, Harold loved that tree so much." Now the tree is about 50 feet tall and my garden is gone -- can't grow much in 4 hours of sunlight.

Ruth is gone now too and so is their son. There's a certain irony in this story. That they're all dead; yet the tree flourishes and threatens to take down my phone and power lines.

Sounds like something a batch of well placed copper nails may fix.:winks2:

I'd probably use chemical but that's another story.

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Jul (5).JPG

Radishes, lettuce, broccoli, and spinach are done. Snap Peas all but done, so garden is transitioning into the next phase. Picking small amounts of cabbage, kohlrabi, and green beans as fast as we can eat/store them. Tomatoes, onions, carrots, and cucumbers will be part of the next wave.

Jul (2).JPG

Here's what we did with a bunch of our garlic scapes. Chopped them up and fried them in butter/oil, then poured the mix into cupcake pans and froze them for future use in pasta etc..

Jul (6).JPG

Harvested about a third of our garlic; the other 2/3rds is not quite ready yet. Far cry from the hoard spinacracker has, but the ~50-60 bulbs in total will last us a year. Good luck out there folks.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
View attachment 136802
Radishes, lettuce, broccoli, and spinach are done. Snap Peas all but done, so garden is transitioning into the next phase. Picking small amounts of cabbage, kohlrabi, and green beans as fast as we can eat/store them. Tomatoes, onions, carrots, and cucumbers will be part of the next wave.

View attachment 136803
Here's what we did with a bunch of our garlic scapes. Chopped them up and fried them in butter/oil, then poured the mix into cupcake pans and froze them for future use in pasta etc..

View attachment 136804
Harvested about a third of our garlic; the other 2/3rds is not quite ready yet. Far cry from the hoard spinacracker has, but the ~50-60 bulbs in total will last us a year. Good luck out there folks.
Picturing myself spitting out what I thought was a yummy blueberry muffin. :p

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Picked up a couple hundred pounds of horse manure. It's not yet aged. Wondering yall's thoughts on the best way to make use of it. Buddy of mine had put some directly into the garden leaving a small area around the plant free and let the rains leech it in.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
If it were me id pile the shit in the shade, and tarp it, then after garden season work it into the garden. Any poo left exposed to the elements loses its nutritional value, and I wouldnt risk burning plants by topdressing with it.

or..........

you could mix it w straw, compost it, then grow mushrooms on it, then incorporate the spent compost into the garden.