• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What’s Cracking In The Garden 2020

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Nice. One of my arugula flowered. It was funny because I didn't even know the particular plant existed because it grew underneath a large swiss chard until suddenly the flower stem pokes through the leaves. I might have to see if I can collect some seeds off of it. I have been enjoying the arugula in sandwiches lately.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I dunno about the spinalcracker, but I just got 3.75" rain. the crust was busted, the weeds all killed with a hoe. I think we are onto something boys.

:2 thumbs up:

I might try to drill a thousand acres of rye when it dries out enough to farm., we are real short on pasture. All our dryland wheat ground has been swept too, we might be able to get a stand.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
_DSC0074.jpg

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Good looking patch of alliums right there. Those scapes are good to eat.

Aurumag

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
IMG_20200716_201437121.jpg

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Checked the garden yesterday: "Oh look, a couple small cucumbers growing. Maybe I'll be able to pick them in the next week"
Checked the garden today: "Oh look, several cucumbers are ready to be picked and many more on the way!"

This caught me off guard. I better learn and get what I need to start some pickles.

Also looks like I will be picking some green beans tomorrow.

Will try and get some pics out in the heat today. The dewpoint is 75 and rising. I sweat just thinking about it.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Couldn't be happier with my tomatoes progress and yield to be. 1 plant's well over 6 feet tall and getting taller every day.

That being said the for early girl tomato plants that's sad in there start trays for a couple of months I've been doing really good since getting them in the ground but today I noticed this problem on some of the leaves. Can someone let me know what's going on here?

IMG_20200718_190107268.jpg

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Mid July Progress:

Early Girl Tomatoes
20200717_172857.jpg

Roma Tomatoes
20200717_172939.jpg

Bell Peppers
20200717_173342.jpg

Butternut Squash
20200717_173553.jpg

Pole String Beans
20200717_173028.jpg

Cucumbers & Carrots
20200717_173115-2.jpg

Mystery Squash & Beets
20200717_173408.jpg

Last edited:

Roger Ramjet

Lost in a Time Warp
Couldn't be happier with my tomatoes progress and yield to be. 1 plant's well over 6 feet tall and getting taller every day.

Looks like beetles. I get the same problem with my eggplant - the leaves look someone took a tiny shotgun to them.

RR

That being said the for early girl tomato plants that's sad in there start trays for a couple of months I've been doing really good since getting them in the ground but today I noticed this problem on some of the leaves. Can someone let me know what's going on here?

View attachment 173057

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Hey newmisty, regarding those leaves on your Early Girls, some of my Early Girls have similar looking leaves on branches closest to the ground.
I'm not sure what causes that, but someone told me it is caused by water splashing up from the ground onto those leaves. FWIW.
I usually just cut those affected leaves off.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Figs. Figs, Figs, Figs... I've got a bumper crop and after putting up jam, preserves, pickles, syrup, and eating them w every meal I'm out of ideas except wandering the neighborhood trying to get rid of em! Luckily, they like figs... Next up muscadines...

RR
Fig Newtons?

Aurumag

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Figs. Figs, Figs, Figs... I've got a bumper crop and after putting up jam, preserves, pickles, syrup, and eating them w every meal I'm out of ideas except wandering the neighborhood trying to get rid of em! Luckily, they like figs... Next up muscadines...

RR
I wish I was one of your neighbors.

Figs are my all-time favorite, super-healthy fruit.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Hey newmisty, regarding those leaves on your Early Girls, some of my Early Girls have similar looking leaves on branches closest to the ground.
I'm not sure what causes that, but someone told me it is caused by water splashing up from the ground onto those leaves. FWIW.
I usually just cut those affected leaves off.
Thank you sir.

ABC123

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
right on

i ordered some today

do you spray at night or early morning before sun comes up?

(I guess I’ll read the instructions when I get the bottle)

aphids kicked my arse last year despite ordering 20,000 lady bugs so I need more weapons

the Spinosad does a good job knocking down what I call cannabis worms....think the eggs come from miller moths?

View attachment 170397 View attachment 170398
That looks exactly like a squash vine borer. Nasty fuckers that will destroy a squash planting in no time. Still trying to figure out a good way to inhibit an infestation. Read you can inject BT right in the vine. Going to try it next round.

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I found a great way to kill Earwigs and some other types of crawling insects (Earwigs are bad here in southern Oregon this year).

Take a empty tuna can (cat food can will work as well) and fill it 1/3 of the way with canola oil. Next add Soy sauce (5 or 6 good shakes worth) and then place these little cans of death next to any plant/flower/wall where you have earwigs. The earwigs are attracted to this mix for some reason and drown and die when they reach their "treat".

Also will not harm pets or the neighbor kids.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Walked the garden today. Overall things are looking really good. One of the lunchbox peppers is finally starting to turn color. I did notice some leaf spots on my cucumber leaves. I water from a soaker hose and we haven't had a lot of rain. However, the mornings have been very dewy which may have contributed to it.

Got some pics.

I should make some basil pesto one of these days.
Garden-2020-07-19-Img_6516SS.jpg

Garden-2020-07-19-Img_6518SS.jpg

Garden-2020-07-19-Img_6519SS.jpg

Green beans hidden under the cucumber leaves
Garden-2020-07-19-Img_6523SS.jpg

Super fantastic tomatoes. Ever so slowly turning color. They are at the stage to make some fine fried green tomatoes if I felt like snacking.
Garden-2020-07-19-Img_6524SS.jpg

Grape tomatoes
Garden-2020-07-19-Img_6527SS.jpg

First sunflower bloomed a few days ago (these incidentally occur under my sunflower seed bird feeder)
Garden-2020-07-19-Img_6528SS.jpg

Many more on the way
Garden-2020-07-19-Img_6530SS.jpg

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Given the insane growth of the cucumbers, it looks like I can make at least 1 jar of pickles any time I want now.

Never have canned or pickled but have studied up and I am almost ready.

One thing I do not have on hand is pickling salt. From what I have read I can use sea salt (which I have plenty of) as long as I measure by weight given the difference in coarseness. 1 cup pickling salt = 220 grams

Another thing I do not have on hand is fresh dill. Don't ask me why, something eats up dill as soon as I grow it. Kind of funny considering most people have it like weeds. I do have dried dill.

Would it be silly to make pickles with sea salt and dried dill? I have been avoiding town. lol

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Growing your own food is a lot of work, even with a relatively small garden when battling pests and weeds, watering etc... The fun part is the harvests and ever-changing diet when enjoying the harvests. Green beans out of control, pulled 2 of our cabbage, with summer squash, basil, dill, broccoli, carrots, onion, beets, collard and kale greens being harvested for meals.

Jul18 006 - C.JPG

Our funky beet mix. Been wrapping them in foil with EVOO and seasoning, putting them on the grill for 30 minutes, and making weird salads with them.
Jul18 015 - C.JPG

Good luck out there folks.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Wife ain't ever done it but I read her your post and she said,"Give er cause it mite make the best damb pickle you ever et"
Thanks! Just got all my stuff for canning in order. May even get to it tomorrow. :2 thumbs up:

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Crunchy is right!
How do you collect them?
I just mush them where they are.
We have 2 beatle traps placed about 30 yards from the garden which I empty every few days.
Also make a "beatle run" thru the beds a couple times a day to hand pick them off of the veggies.
I hate um!

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Wife ain't ever done it but I read her your post and she said,"Give er cause it mite make the best damb pickle you ever et"
Well I did it. Just 2 jars. One of spears and another of some spears and some slices. For flavor, I added 1 tsp dry dill, 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper, 1/2 tsp black pepper. Will know in 2 weeks how it went. :much thankful:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Walked the garden today. Overall things are looking really good. One of the lunchbox peppers is finally starting to turn color. I did notice some leaf spots on my cucumber leaves. I water from a soaker hose and we haven't had a lot of rain. However, the mornings have been very dewy which may have contributed to it.

Got some pics.

I should make some basil pesto one of these days.
View attachment 173149

View attachment 173150

View attachment 173151

Green beans hidden under the cucumber leaves
View attachment 173152

Super fantastic tomatoes. Ever so slowly turning color. They are at the stage to make some fine fried green tomatoes if I felt like snacking.
View attachment 173153

Grape tomatoes
View attachment 173154

First sunflower bloomed a few days ago (these incidentally occur under my sunflower seed bird feeder)
View attachment 173155

Many more on the way
View attachment 173156
Nice pics.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Growing your own food is a lot of work, even with a relatively small garden when battling pests and weeds, watering etc... The fun part is the harvests and ever-changing diet when enjoying the harvests. Green beans out of control, pulled 2 of our cabbage, with summer squash, basil, dill, broccoli, carrots, onion, beets, collard and kale greens being harvested for meals.

View attachment 173442

Our funky beet mix. Been wrapping them in foil with EVOO and seasoning, putting them on the grill for 30 minutes, and making weird salads with them.
View attachment 173443

Good luck out there folks.
Vibrant looking crops Pyramid.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
This is becoming a habit...today's little pepper haul. Tom's are boomin' and a couple few are ready to harvest but I want to let em ripen a bit longer on the vine. Some rain due for the next couple days.

IMG_20200723_185730934.jpg
IMG_20200723_185654071.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Finally harvesting tomatoes! The whole garden has ahor up in the past few days. I've been giving it a little rain water several times a week. Tomatoes are already knocking one of the cages down.... Voracious plants this year.

Noticed more of the fungus hit leaves by the fence. Cleaning those up and aside from that everything looks good. A few of the pepper seem to spit out a few fruits and then continue with vegetable growth with a whole bunch more now forming at the top of the plant.

IMG_20200724_205706284.jpg

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
I ain't embarrassing myself by putting up pics again but our peas, carrots, spuds, onions, cucumbers and especially the raspberrys are ready to eat. Damb you just cannot buy the taste of fresh produce.
Oh yeah, 8 meat birds met the Fiskar this am too. Imagine if you will what our supper is gonna taste like.

Keep gardening folks.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Friday I had some leftover grilled steak to have for dinner. So I pulled a carrot some green beans and peas from the garden and fried it all up with the cut up steak. Delicious garden meal.

One of the lunchbox peppers is ripe, Apparently I have the kind that turn red. Planning to have that in my lunch tomorrow.

Had a heck of a lot of rain overnight. Looks like I will be making pickles again very soon.