• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What’s Cracking In The Garden 2020

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Tom's are going strong....have one absolute whopper... It's the leader of the team that's bent the tomato cage over. I put its weight in my hand and it feels like a couple pounds so it maybe half that. :)

Screenshot_20200726-214248.png

IMG_20200726_164909760.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Cant post a photo all season but now it lets me. LOL.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Nice! Seems like it won't be long before I'm hauling tomatoes. Picked a couple grape tomatoes that are almost ripe tonight. Many more others on the way.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
_DSC0062.JPG

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I'm 1 1/2 miles down an old dirt road in the middle of 40 acres. 20 are mine and I have a 10 acre buffer on each side of me.
These down trees are the remnants of the logging. Whats laying there now should keep me warm this winter and then the back yard is cleaned up. :).. That hill on the top left corner is the left side of the property. Once at the top it goes back another 150 yards or so.. The right side of the property is just a little more to the right of this photo. It's a great place for a forest dweller to be left alone. Not the easiest property to have gardens on though. I'll do some more photos once the sun comes up.
_DSC0039.JPG

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Bolting carrots.
Never knew it was a thing.
Carrots are a biannual, but evidently can get confused & if stressed, can bolt to seed the same year as planted.
We had a cool wet spring followed by hot as balls July.
Pisses me off as I spent more time fussing on these than ever before.
First pic is of the second planting about 3 weeks behind the first.
Normal looking good.
P1010001.JPG

Here is the early planting:

P1010003.JPG

Flower is similar to Queen Ann's lace weed:

P1010004.JPG

Why does it suck?
Take a look at comparative underground results.
The bolted root is white & not developed at all & am told it is no fun to eat. (not personally trying it out with so many other good things to eat).

P1010006.JPG

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Never seen a carrot gone to seed before.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I'd grow em out indoors and see whats up. Probably cannabis seeds that have been to the dark side of the moon and back. They finish in 10 days yielding 1/4 lbs of dense sticky stinky buds. 1 hit stuff that keeps you stoned for 8 hrs.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Since giving a heavy pruning and watering yesterday, the peppers all doubled in size in the tomatoes turned color... Which must have caught the attention of a freeloader who decided that big Whoppers brother was ripe enough to eat.

IMG_20200727_202953249.jpg

My immediate conclusion was that it was a squirrel however upon careful examination it appears to be a mouse.

IMG_20200727_203729192.jpg

IMG_20200727_203924107.jpg

He sure had his sights on that particular tomato. Not sure what can be done about preventing this in the future but should I chalk it up to an odd occurrence or what?

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Get a security cat. It sure did look edible and he left you some.

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Get a security cat. It sure did look edible and he left you some.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
It sucks doing all that hard work just to feed the wild life. :(:totally steamed:
I've been having horny worm issues this year. I'm checking plants twice a day now. I knew the loved tomatoes but didn't realize they liked peppers too.

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
It sucks doing all that hard work just to feed the wild life. :(:totally steamed:
I've been having horny worm issues this year. I'm checking plants twice a day now. I knew the loved tomatoes but didn't realize they liked peppers too.
CL, thanks for that. Some of my peppers have been missing partial or whole leaves at the tops & I've been dumbfounded as to who or what is the culprit. A new varmint to hunt for!

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
A spritz of monterey garden spray will fix your caterpillar problems.

Its organic too, just put it on with a hose end sprayer. I think its 4 oz per gallon.

You will find dead worms you didnt even know you had.

There is an old boy tidbit for you guys.

Good luck!

https://www.amazon.com/Monterey-LG6135-Garden-Spinosad-Concentrate/dp/B002BP12LI

I told cigarlover to get some, he didnt listen. he will get some. And a hose end sprayer. Just buy the gallon sized jug.

I have been messing around in the plant world for awhile, you have to be pretty sharp to get one past me.

You are welcome.

And dont forget the pyganic.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
CL, thanks for that. Some of my peppers have been missing partial or whole leaves at the tops & I've been dumbfounded as to who or what is the culprit. A new varmint to hunt for!
I lost 4 pepper plants to the ugly forkers. Biggest fattest catepillars I ever seen. Makes a mess when ya squash em too.
A spritz of monterey garden spray will fix your caterpillar problems.

Its organic too, just put it on with a hose end sprayer. I think its 4 oz per gallon.

You will find dead worms you didnt even know you had.

There is an old boy tidbit for you guys.

Good luck!

https://www.amazon.com/Monterey-LG6135-Garden-Spinosad-Concentrate/dp/B002BP12LI

I told cigarlover to get some, he didnt listen. he will get some. And a hose end sprayer. Just buy the gallon sized jug.

I have been messing around in the plant world for awhile, you have to be pretty sharp to get one past me.

You are welcome.

And dont forget the pyganic.
I got em both. Need to order that atomizer though.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
You dont need an atomizer for the spinosad, hose end sprayer man.

Just slop it on there.

:2 thumbs up:

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Birds will peck maters when they get thirsty, leaving a birdbath out for them to drink from can alleviate the problem.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Now that I can post photos I'll get a few of the figs. :). 1st up is Medici HR2. HR stands for Hunting reserve. I believe there are 3 from this series HR 1,2 and 3. This is from Italy from the Medici families property. A few years ago there was a pretty bad storm that knocked down 300+ year old fig trees. This was from on of them. This is my 3rd year with it and it's really producing this year. 1st 2 years I got a couple figs from it. 1st year the figs had a very rich caramel flavor. Last year they seemed kind of watered down. This year it was the 1st tree to show figs so should ripen a lot of them this season. Every branch is loaded like this. Around 40-50 figs on it.
_DSC0101.JPG

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Next up is Neopolitana Negra. Look how long the stems are on the figs.. I've only had one of thee ripe and they were delish.. Very sweet grape flavor.
_DSC0102.JPG

Last edited:

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
On this tree I lost the tag but figured I would keep it around and see if I could identify it later. Really glad I did. Once the figs started forming it was easy to identify. It is a Col De dame. There are 4 different CDD and I think this is Grise. So CDDG. I'll know for sure when the figs ripen. I also have the CDDN N= Noir. Both are excellent figs. You can see the really fat stems on the fig and only the CDD has those types of stem on the figs.
_DSC0103.JPG

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Plint Nero. Excited to see figs on it. They may or may not finish before the cold winter hits. We will find out this year. If not then I will move this and a few others indoors to finish under lights in Nov and december. This one is fairly rare in the US right now. I got it the first year it came to the US from the guy who got it here.

Attachments

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
My tomato wall. Most of them in 15 gal containers. A couple in 7's but the 15's are definitely the sweet spot for container tomatoes. That 89 f 150 is my firewood gathering truck. She still runs up the hills like a champ, although I wont take her to the top. I'm to old to jump out of a truck loaded with a ton of firewood careening down a steep hill with no brakes..
_DSC0105.JPG

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
There's one group photo of the fig trees. about 15 or so I think. It wont upload for some reason . So back up the hill next to the house is my in ground Hardy Chicago. Been in ground for about 8 or 10 years now. Sometimes survives the winter, other times it dies back to the ground and sends out new shoots in the spring. Figs always ripen even late into the season.
_DSC0107.JPG

Rose of Sharon I think this is. In the larger ROS photo you can see the bottom of the driveway on the left. thats where the figs and production tomatoes are. Off to the right is where the new pond is going.
_DSC0108.JPG
_DSC0109.JPG

Attachments

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
ok last one.. This fig tree went in ground last year. Rhonde De Bordeaux. It died back in the winter and just as I thought it was a goner it started growing in June and hasn't stopped.. It's turned into a nice bush now. No figs this year but next year it should start producing.
_DSC0110.JPG

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Hortinova netting, italian sauce tomatoes, figs, I think youve been holding out on me old friend.........

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Hortinova netting, italian sauce tomatoes, figs, I think youve been holding out on me old friend.........
Seeds and fig cuttings will come to you this fall. :)

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I am game, I havent found much I cant grow. Moss might be a stretch.......

I like fresh figs too, they are 2 for 4 trump bucks here in season.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I am game, I havent found much I cant grow. Moss might be a stretch.......

I like fresh figs too, they are 2 for 4 trump bucks here in season.
When you grow em yourself you can let em ripen to perfection too. :). Been a great year for the figs here this year. They love the heat.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I'm experimenting a little bit. 99% of my berries get snagged before they ripen because I just stuck them in this bed because they had been in their original pots for over a year. I saw anew cluster of berries forming and thought I would stick a 5-gallon paint strainer over the vine and see if it is enough to dissuade the offenders.

IMG_20200728_173602961.jpg

I've got a rainbow of tomatoes growing...

I just today noticed that the banana peppers grow what I would consider upside down while the jalapenos grow the opposite way. The more you know.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Mine don't grow that way. Maybe you have a cloaked alien spacecraft nearby. :martian:
:spaceship:

I finally tried the lunchbox peppers yesterday and today in my lunch. Very good. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again for the suggestion, Newmistiy.

Started eating grape tomatoes today. If the trend continues I am soon to be overrun with tomatoes of various sizes.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Mine don't grow that way. Maybe you have a cloaked alien spacecraft nearby. :martian:
:spaceship:

I finally tried the lunchbox peppers yesterday and today in my lunch. Very good. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again for the suggestion, Newmistiy.

Started eating grape tomatoes today. If the trend continues I am soon to be overrun with tomatoes of various sizes.
Cool, Space Peppers!

You're welcome on the suggestion, glad you like em. They're the perfect snacking pepper and look flawless to boot.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Here's a shot that shows how small the garden is. I was looking 4 spot last year and then a real hurry and I think I mentioned that concrete slab in this thread, or it may have been another. Don't know what it's doing there but the area around there had been overgrown with different shrubberies/weeds/grass. It's about 6' x 6'. That makes the Toms about 8'. This is the first year where I live try the method of putting the energy in 2 fruit instead of leaves Supreme the back pretty good but allowing them to get tall because they seem too the shooting the fruits as they go. I'll start tying them down to the fence soon.

Soon I would like to measure out a larger plot & start prepping it so I can get going on enlarging and skukumfying this thing by next year. That's what all the lumber is thete along with some bags of manure me Gonna square, or rather rectangle out an area with em to get s good visual on the right spot. That's partially why I've been throwing all that organic matter in that pile too.

Screenshot_20200728-231743.png