• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

What’s Cracking In The Garden 2020

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
You can clone your favorite plants for overwintering as well. Peppers, tomatoes, whatever. Tomatoes root pretty fast. Peppers are a little slower. Once you have a decent root system up pot them to maybe a 1 gallon container and keep them in there until spring. Keep cutting them back to keep them small. Especially the tomatoes. I had one vine get about 16' long indoors one year. That was in a 1 gallon pot with coco in it. I then cloned it and made a bunch of them in the spring and from there made seeds so I had them going forward. I'll probably use up the last of the seed next year and make another batch.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I just want to know what animal ate the rest of my peppers along with the leaves? I have to find this animal and do a vulcanized mind meld....oppsie beer for breackie....but really what f'n animal eats peppers besides me?

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I just want to know what animal ate the rest of my peppers along with the leaves? I have to find this animal and do a vulcanized mind meld....oppsie beer for breackie....but really what f'n animal eats peppers besides me?
Hot or mild?

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Got a freeze coming tonight followed by days of near freezing. I decided I'm going to let nature take its course and not bother covering anything up. Picked the last of the tomatoes that were showing any color, any peppers that seem mature enough and the last of the cucumbers. Even though things have slowed down in the garden I have quite a supply that should last me a few weeks and also froze quite a bunch of them.

Also pulled out all the irrigation, hoses, etc.

So yeah, I'm calling it a year. Still slacking with the pics I know. Most of my pics lately have been of paperwork, but that's another story for another day.

Glad to see so many here had such great results. This was by far my best year in terms of harvest.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Glad ya had a good year Eric. Green tomats grow red with time inside. It were 24F here this am.
Ya twisted my arm, so I went back and grabbed these.
Garden-2020-10-01-Img_8888SS.jpg

They can hang with the other ripening ones
Garden-2020-10-01-Img_8889SS.jpg

Grabbed a quick pic of the peppers that are sitting out still. Most are washed and fridged if not in the freezer. Newmisty might be glad to know I have a nice bagfull of lunchbox peppers in the fridge ripe and ready to eat.

Garden-2020-10-01-Img_8887SS.jpg

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
And that is a wrap for the 2020 garden.
Got the last of the tomatoes in.
Supposed to get down on the upper 20’s tonight.
The hemp plants will survive ok and they get the chop tomorrow.

That snow storm last month really got me down and I thought we lost 75% of the crop.
But thanks be to the Most High GOD , this has been one of the best harvest around here in a long time.

BBDC09C0-A047-4A75-B4D5-E98EE69CF890.jpeg
230E7188-4591-4E5E-8EA4-86301C632127.jpeg
2F63A711-CB52-44B6-91E0-6A9947799E46.jpeg
4BA37F1C-9BF1-446C-8DF2-7A2AF41D2E2B.jpeg
ADC290CB-8667-4BAF-A7B5-63FFE0E75E15.jpeg

BE39EB89-F9D5-4422-AC0D-4266BB976DA1.jpeg
7AB8518A-2308-424E-8B34-97CD0A4EF238.jpeg
B273A546-C697-4D28-98BB-4202AA88472B.jpeg

The chickens get to glean the fields now.

F55652ED-3518-4114-8AF4-090EB903C3A4.jpeg

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Looks like you weathered that early cold just fine. Nice job. What flavors you got there?

Tomorrow night we are supposed to get down to 31. If I can get the tomatoes to survive that, and I think they will, I don't see anything in the 30's again at night until at least mid Nov. I may just throw some plastic over them tomorrow night and protect the flowers from the frost, then let the tomatoes go until the next freeze.
With all the leaves coming down I actually get a lot more sun nowadays as well. This weekend I'll get the garlic in for next year. I have a couple of cold hardy things i was wanting to try as well. Leeks and some green leafy stuff. With as mild as things are I may actually keep gardening right into Dec or Jan. Maybe set up a hoop house for the small kitchen gardens by the house.

Haven't even started firewood for the season yet. From the looks of things I wont be needing that much this year. Maybe do 2 cord. Last year I used 1 1/2

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
thanks Amigo.....those last two are some c99’s which is weird cause they are supposed to be fast finishers but hey , things are weird this year eh...seeds are from Joeyweed

the ecsd x Ogers , a Wesos creation , and the snow leopard from Bodhi were both winners

the colas were huge from top to bottom
these came off the snow leopard

hey while I am thinking about it , brother Slim Pickins asked me to give you a shout out...
i speak with him at a small cannabis forum and he just ordered a couple of those roll on cannabis salves that you used...

51DAB453-0152-40E4-BD54-E2373D40446F.jpeg

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Very nice brother. Those look awesome. I have some snow leopard crosses. Maybe next year I'll try them outside. You live in a dry climate so I assume you have no mold issues. Black lime reserve and Ornage barb both had mold issues for me here. Everything else was very minimal if any at all. Considering the humid climate we have here that was pretty good. Overall though I lost very little to mold.
Tell Slim I said hi. Hope he's doing well and that CBD works for him. With firewood season upon me I know I'll be using mine LOL. I haven't checked in there in awhile. Probably should stop by and say hey, maybe post a couple photos. :).

Never ran any of Joeys gear but have always heard good things about it. My company is on the same site as his. :)

thanks Amigo.....those last two are some c99’s which is weird cause they are supposed to be fast finishers but hey , things are weird this year eh...seeds are from Joeyweed

the ecsd x Ogers , a Wesos creation , and the snow leopard from Bodhi were both winners

hey while I am thinking about it , brother Slim Pickins asked me to give you a shout out...
i speak with him at a small cannabis forum and he just ordered a couple of those roll on cannabis salves that you used...

View attachment 184585

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

View attachment 184585
Smells lovely!

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
4ip207.jpg

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Looking mighty stony up your way spinalcracker, way to go man!

Yes for all its ups and downs, from what ive seen a pretty good year!

I dont think that cool stretch hurt at all, maybe kicked the girlz in the ass. Some seem to be finishing late fwiw.

Nice looking nugs, those front range boys will be sad not to see you this winter, because your stash box is full.

Now if we could just get cigarlover to (move and) put some in the ground, it would revolutionize his scene.

Grow lights are for veg!

Winter is for messing around w the old lady, and eating soup. Them lights will blind you if, you spend the whole yr under em.

I cant see a fucking thing............lol

Last edited:

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner

Them are dep tunnels in the vid btw, 3 cycles a yr........:2 thumbs up:

What did that cost ya?

After the vid is a grow tour, so dont click x too soon.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
The mendo dope boyz got some skilz. Sort of. With everyone hacking lung when they smoke their shit i suspect they don't flush very well and based on how they feed they have no clue on some things.. They just dump a bunch of shit in the tank or sprinkle a bag of stuff on and say f it. Also growing TGA and Jilly bean gear......Was never very impressed with either and loaded with herms. Has some nice flavors in it but lots of weak ass stuff in the lineup. I know the guy is dead now so I don't really want to talk shit about him but I do think a lot of his stuff was over hyped like a lot of things in that state.
Ca has a jump on the rest of the country but legalize across the country and give it 5 years and I am fairly certain the rest of the country will catch up quick.

Last edited:

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
_DSC0164.JPG

The very bottom row are those abbatista paste tomatoes I rave about. Those are actually small ones. I had a few that were almost twice this size but the bugs got to them pretty bad so I left them out there. After the freeze tonight i will try and save seeds from those. The other romas above the bottom row are average sized romas.
About center left is an orange salt and pepper cucumber. Got a bunch of those down there still. Might survive the frost and I can make pickles or relish with them or something. Strange color though. Supposed to be light yellow or green, not orange. It's like they got crossed with a pumpkin or something.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Last of my garden aside from some japs i left on the plants so they keep longer. Great season for me, work to return ratio worked out much better than anticipated. So happy i got a bunch of raspberries for the first time this year too. Cheers to all for sharing and viewing :beer:

20201016_210146~2.jpg

Last edited:

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I have one Jar that is super healthy right now. If it survives tonights frost I may bring it in and keep it going through the winter for fresh jalapeños through the winter season. I love cooking with then. Great in Chili and chopped up in burgers.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I have one Jar that is super healthy right now. If it survives tonights frost I may bring it in and keep it going through the winter for fresh jalapeños through the winter season. I love cooking with then. Great in Chili and chopped up in burgers.
The flavor of some are like drugs. I nearly busted one after eating a salad that had all my senses in ecstasy' highlighted by the cchalllllapeeenio. Undescribable flavor.

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Hard, killing frost shut us down pretty abruptly ~10 days ago and that was all but the end of our garden season. All we have left that's green and happy are collard and kale.

We used seed from last year's spaghetti squash that apparently cross-pollinated with another member of the Cucurbitaceae family. We ended up with a hodge-podge of zucchini, squash, and pumpkins out of that marriage. Our Acorn and Butternut squash did pretty well though. Our melons were pretty weak. Here's a pic of some of that collaboration:

10-2020 007 - C.JPG

Random assortment of some of the rest of our final harvest:

10-2020 010 - C.JPG

Good luck out there folks.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner

a couple of years running that, sell it more, its like getting rich on coyote hides. A one off deal.

Lots of money worth of wood chips there.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Hard, killing frost shut us down pretty abruptly ~10 days ago and that was all but the end of our garden season. All we have left that's green and happy are collard and kale.

We used seed from last year's spaghetti squash that apparently cross-pollinated with another member of the Cucurbitaceae family. We ended up with a hodge-podge of zucchini, squash, and pumpkins out of that marriage. Our Acorn and Butternut squash did pretty well though. Our melons were pretty weak. Here's a pic of some of that collaboration:

View attachment 185145

Random assortment of some of the rest of our final harvest:

View attachment 185146

A+ - lovely haul man. I strive to reach your level.

Let us know how the butternut pumpkin tastes.

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Planted and tucked in our Fall garlic before the weather gets worse. Upping the quantity, as what we planted last year barely lasted until the 2020 harvest and we give some away to family and friends. We've still got some collard, kale, spinach and lettuce that are hanging on through the cold, miserable weather.

102420 001 - C.JPG

Here's some of our garlic, yellow and red onions from 2020.
10-2020 001 - C.JPG

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
So the last time I posted pictures of a harvest was the last time I looked at the Garden let alone took care of it. It has been so dry that I was watering every other day and it wasn't enough and that's when I gave up. It started to get cold and the plants were trailing way off anyway
ASo tonight after getting home from work I went out to pick a couple jalapenos for my salad. You may recall I said that I left them on the plants to ripen. Well I'll be damned if the plants don't look good! The one jalapeno that I trained on to the tomato cage is fruiting prolifically. The others not so much one of them only had two. But there's a bunch of babies on and some nice fatties that are as healthy as they could be.

20201027_191927~2.jpg

Last edited:

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Weather is forecasting a freeze this weekend, so even though I probably have plenty of bell peppers chopped & frozen, it galls me to let the nice ones that are out there waiting for someone to use them.
So even though it's pouring down rain, I walked out with a 5 gallon bucket & collected some more:
P1010001.JPG
P1010004.JPG

And while standing at the sink, may as well make some taco mix & use some more peppers:

P1010005.JPG

P1010006.JPG

Shit,... have to go back out & pull some lettuce:

P1010007.JPG

Time for lunch. Then back to choppin & freezin.

P1010008.JPG

Last edited:

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
^^^^^^^^Son of a bitch! He hides his AU in plain sight!

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Well it’s time to start ordering seed catalogs for 2021 and dreaming of sunny days

(I sure thought I had some photos in here of some of my flowers that were covered in snow)
Be sure, if any of y'all can anything from the garden, to stock up on canning lids - almost impossible to find locally this year.
We've already got our garlic in for next year. Very busy with outdoor work. Saw some random snow flakes out there today.

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Saw some random snow flakes out there today.
I'm sorry Dan but these statements always crack me up.:laughing:

I'm guessing we get random flakes here to but they is soooooo hard to tell from the others.:snowboard:

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I'm totally surprised! I haven't even looked at the jap plants since the last time i posted an update, let alone water/cover etc.
I expected a shriveled &/or mushy mess but alas, they're a lot healthier now than several points over the summer. It's been getting cold too....temp last night was about 31 for example.

20201117_185058~2.jpg
20201117_185919~2.jpg

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I'm sorry Dan but these statements always crack me up.:laughing:

I'm guessing we get random flakes here to but they is soooooo hard to tell from the others.:snowboard:
Somewhere, at some point, there's also bound to have been some orderly flakes a'fallin' too.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
you can probably cut them pepper plants close to the ground, cover em, and winter them there...

If it doesnt get too cold, they will come back in spring, w a purpose.

I have personally seen pepper plants in the carib that were 3 years old, they were taller than me.

I think you have a shot, in a goofy sort of way.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
you can probably cut them pepper plants close to the ground, cover em, and winter them there...

If it doesnt get too cold, they will come back in spring, w a purpose.

I have personally seen pepper plants in the carib that were 3 years old, they were taller than me.

I think you have a shot, in a goofy sort of way.
Great idea. I just found out my mom's got one that's 5 years old that she winters up in Connecticut.

What do you think about using something that composts? Add nutes and heat no? I'm thinking thick pile of leaves grass at cetera

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Great idea. I just found out my mom's got one that's 5 years old that she winters up in Connecticut.

What do you think about using something that composts? Add nutes and heat no? I'm thinking thick pile of leaves grass at cetera
Build a small, temporary greenhouse around it.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
You have to keep the ground from freezing around the roots,thts where the life is. Youll have to finger it out yerself.

A rooted cutting brought indoors will work as well.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Newmisty , a cold frame is your friend..that and hay

i cleaned the henhouse out yesterday and took all the hay and chicken poop and scattered it out in the garden , put a bed of fresh hay down in the coop , rolled up,some garden hoses and stacked a bunch of pots and stuff , general cleanup....

my neighbor moved a little more hay than me , he has a few more chickens and some cows

61556C66-BC11-4058-A48F-2551B987F22F.jpeg
A9789A67-F83D-4FB3-9C6A-2BF882C4F236.jpeg
A9789A67-F83D-4FB3-9C6A-2BF882C4F236.jpeg
5B686E98-ADF9-4753-B1EA-C7D437D15530.jpeg
A10276DB-BBF8-48AC-B13A-112A7DF6B1E1.jpeg

Attachments

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Last of my garden aside from some japs i left on the plants so they keep longer. Great season for me, work to return ratio worked out much better than anticipated. So happy i got a bunch of raspberries for the first time this year too. Cheers to all for sharing and viewing :beer:

View attachment 186549
The season's not quite over yet.....my last tomatoes are allllmost ripe!

20201122_171837~2.jpg