• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What’s Cracking In The Garden 2020

Buck

Village Idiot
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
those are Buck flavored strains of mary jane : )

seriously, idk, these are from seeds I've gathered from over two decades of picking them outta my buds...

Every Season is a fresh surprise

one of these days, i'm going to learn to clone plants, but for now, i'm learning the fertilizer tricks...

I'm going to suspect they're all a bit different, just like the last three years crops have been, but, this time, it only took me 18 seeds to get 11 plants to sprout, last season took me about 20+ to finalize the season with three plants of which two, i got lazy when drying them, got moldy...

This farming stuff, when it's done properly, is NOT a simple procedure and patience is certainly required...and around here, we all know what my patience level is like...LOL

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
nothing like good old home grown strands....your plants look healthy and uniform which says a lot

yes indeed there is a lot of selection when growing from seed which is fun to some growers , always looking for the Holy Grail 1 Hitter Sitter...otherwise I cull out the males and the farkeled out runts and I sniff around for any exceptionally fragrant cultivarsfor keepers.....

my eyes were opened to see a glimpse of just how smart farmers and ranchers really are when I took a couple of semesters of Horticulture at an Ag college in Kansas , all those farmer kids were pretty damn savvy , most of them grew up getting up before sunrise to do chores and here they are in Chem 1 solving photosynthesis equations on a scientific calculator...

it gave me a new respect for farmers and ranchers...smart sumbitches.....

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Guys your plants look great. I gots to ask though, do any of you outside growers not buy into the 12 hours of light for budding that indoor enthusiast seem to like. I know mine start budding when we have near the longest daylight there is. Which makes me wonder what the indoor folk are doing.

Buck

Village Idiot
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
what i've read, and I think I believe it...lol
These plants grow when it's dark

They absorb the energy from the sun but the growth occurs at night and as fall approaches, light/dark times change, these plants 'know' it's the cycle to bud/flower, that's when i'll hit them with some potash, iirc, that should push the terpins to the surface...

After the past several days of rain, I kept 'em indoors under some weak light, they seem to be growing faster but the darker colors seem to be a bit faded, the chlorophyll needs to re-generate, i think

I'm headed outside to check the conditions and may put them outside for the day...

This is my fourth grow season, so, take my knowledge as if i'm a newbie but, that's what I've read and noticed and noted across the seasons...

Buck

Village Idiot
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
YW

as for my 'girls', they've gotta stay in today, it's just too wet...me too

yesterday, a rain day, i played with my water tanks all day, working the filtration, flow, etc...it's a tight system for collection, about 500+ gallons across 1 dirty, 1 primary and 2 cleaner tanks

The filters are pvc tubes capped at the end with holes drilled into them, two wraps of screen door screen hot glued on, and one wrap of towel around the tube which is held on with two strips of velcro...after reading about filtration, my system should be below 10 microns of debris and hopefully, this afternoon, direct from China, should be my electronic toys for TDS, PH and something else that I think is a duplicate but it's EDS or something...anyway, I can't wait...what i really want to do is gauge the quality of my towel filter system...

Off to the side, i'm working a survival drinking water filter setup by setting up a filter system I'll use to water my plants once they're in their outdoor pots
It won't be as aggressive as my final project: Drinking Water Quality, but, i'm trying to achieve something else, i'm trying for a gravity fed watering system that I don't have to do anything but hit an electric switch to fill the feeder tank up the hill, then twist a valve to deliver the desired amount, not too much, not too little...of clean, treated, rainwater/roofwater, to my thirsty plants.

If I do it properly, i'll have cleaner water than the city pipes can deliver...

tell you what, water management is not real difficult to understand but do one thing wrong and perhaps the chlorine goes in for too long which will not be rectified by the activated charcoal, in the down-stream tank, fast enough to keep the water at zero chlorine for the plants...etc...but, the way i see it, when my system is going, I'll tend to it once a week, just to check for anomalies, and I should be good to go for the entire season...droughts be damned

:dog:

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
I just drink the water from one of my three wells. Also use it for watering my plants very sparingly. We figured out how much plant I've grown for my own consumption[plus what I give away] since I bought this 1/4 in 91, if our figures are close it pays to grow as I used three times more worth of pot than the land cost. Only be growing my own for 35 years now.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
those are Buck flavored strains of mary jane : )

seriously, idk, these are from seeds I've gathered from over two decades of picking them outta my buds...

Every Season is a fresh surprise

one of these days, i'm going to learn to clone plants, but for now, i'm learning the fertilizer tricks...

I'm going to suspect they're all a bit different, just like the last three years crops have been, but, this time, it only took me 18 seeds to get 11 plants to sprout, last season took me about 20+ to finalize the season with three plants of which two, i got lazy when drying them, got moldy...

This farming stuff, when it's done properly, is NOT a simple procedure and patience is certainly required...and around here, we all know what my patience level is like...LOL
Cloning is so easy a three-year-old could do it. Look into it.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
cloning cannabis can be difficult for some folks and I’ve killed my share of them through the years , mostly to damping off...

anyone clone tomatoes?.....

we are going to give it a try this season...
Great idea.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
looks pretty damn easy and I don’t know why I haven’t done it before...

You can root them just sticking them in a glass of water. Those things are vigorous as all hell.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Might not work where there's shorter growing seasons like here in Ohio.
You can keep em squat and the fruits will come, just wouldn't be as prolific.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
You can keep em squat and the fruits will come, just wouldn't be as prolific.
By the time the suckers show up, it's kinda late to be starting new plants. Well unless you've got a heated green house. The guy in the video does mention he is talking Texas.

BTW, I over wintered my fig plants in my heated wood shop. About a month ago I noticed new leaves and buds coming out. I plugged in the grow lights and gave 'em some water. I've 9 plants in pots. several of them are loaded with new figs just starting to develop. Getting some kinda big. Warms up more, above freezing, I'll set the pots outside and maybe get a picture. Grow lights do not put out much light, a picture probably wouldn't take in the shop.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
I managed to clone a tomato plant here in MN. I missed a sucker and it got big so after I cut it I put it in some water. It rooted quickly so I stuck it in the ground. It didn't get as big as the early plantings. I only got maybe 6 tomatoes, but that's 6 more just for my time and a little extra space that was not being used.

I normally try to cut the suckers small though.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Buck

Village Idiot
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Cloning is so easy a three-year-old could do it. Look into it.
good thing i'm 4...LOL

so, that's it??? Cut the proper piece and plug it into some dirt?

hmmmmm

I might try that this season...and i'll end up with a 3 month old plant in the middle of December and cropping it in March

hmmmmm

Why Not?

Cloning is on my stove, maybe i'll pull it to a front burner in a few months time, Thanks Guys

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I picked up more seed potatoes today, 30 lb, and 2 lb red dutch shallots (great keepers), to go along w the potatoes i already bought (40 lb) and onion plants (300). I figured I had enough, but with the corona I thought id get some more just to play it safe.

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
looks pretty damn easy and I don’t know why I haven’t done it before...

Whenever I want to pinch the lateral shoots I just let them get over 6 inches and then cut them and root them in 50/50 compost & soil.
Very easy to root tom cuttings.

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I managed to clone a tomato plant here in MN. I missed a sucker and it got big so after I cut it I put it in some water. It rooted quickly so I stuck it in the ground. It didn't get as big as the early plantings. I only got maybe 6 tomatoes, but that's 6 more just for my time and a little extra space that was not being used.

I normally try to cut the suckers small though.
You can skip the water and root directly in moist soil or potting mix. Most vines root well from cuttings.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
I got my bundles of onion plants today. Its too cold and windy to work outside today, but im hoping to get them in the ground this weekend.
Nice. You are ahead of me. I started some onion seeds indoors last weekend. I wanted to plant some peas only to find the ground where I grow them is still solid.

Chives are starting to grow in the garden. Invasive but nutritious! :)

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Nice. You are ahead of me. I started some onion seeds indoors last weekend. I wanted to plant some peas only to find the ground where I grow them is still solid.

Chives are starting to grow in the garden. Invasive but nutritious! :)
Thanks for the reminder, I need to get my bunching onion (scallion) seeds sprouted!

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Been tilling garden plots around the farm neighborhood today, with the little husky tractor and the 4' tiller. 4 done 11 to go.

I am charging cash money.

Its funny, all these rich corn farmers finally realized we are fucked, and its time to get it on like the old folk used to do.

They all asked if I was going to sell tomato and pepper plants. I just shook my head, no reply.

Every cloud has a silber lining, ill get to my plots next week.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Had my camera out today, there was a couple dozen buzzards in the trees out back. Thought it'd be cool to get a picture. Not gonna post that, but went into the woodshop to see if a picture of my figs would turn out. This is a sample of what I got.
1584576804217.jpg

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
feck, they look good!

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
It was dry enough this week for me to get in with the first pass of the tiller.
Gettin the itch.
P1010001.JPG

Wait!.... what's under that pile of leaves!

P1010003.JPG

P1010004.JPG

I always overwinter under a shredded leaf pile some taters.
No root cellar, so this works for the 10lbs a month the Mrs. & I can eat.
They are already sending up spring shoots.
I will be diggin out the rest & replanting in a lower section of the garden in a week or 2, rain depending.

I hose them off over the cellar floor drain, then dry a bit next to the wood stove.
Over winter they always grow out little "side taters" that I usually just break off & toss depending on how hungry or lazy I am.

P1010005.JPG
P1010007.JPG

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Had my camera out today, there was a couple dozen buzzards in the trees out back. Thought it'd be cool to get a picture. Not gonna post that, but went into the woodshop to see if a picture of my figs would turn out. This is a sample of what I got.
View attachment 158071
You should post it in the random pictures thread.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
It was dry enough this week for me to get in with the first pass of the tiller.
Gettin the itch.
View attachment 158365

Wait!.... what's under that pile of leaves!

View attachment 158366
View attachment 158367

I always overwinter under a shredded leaf pile some taters.
No root cellar, so this works for the 10lbs a month the Mrs. & I can eat.
They are already sending up spring shoots.
I will be diggin out the rest & replanting in a lower section of the garden in a week or 2, rain depending.

I hose them off over the cellar floor drain, then dry a bit next to the wood stove.
Over winter they always grow out little "side taters" that I usually just break off & toss depending on how hungry or lazy I am.

View attachment 158368 View attachment 158369
Real good sized plot GnG

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I found some cannabis volunteers, seeds that dropped last fall, sprouting in some of the gardens today.

Its spring time.

:2 thumbs up:
wow That has to be some kind of record.......

nothing popping up here , just some hollyhocks.....

at my daughters in Washington

jonquil

380D74A8-3783-4B67-93D2-1C82C5B1745D.jpeg

here is what happens to the male plants...

Before

B20FF6E8-21EC-4A36-AEAF-1BE85615178E.jpeg

after

F7D875DD-27D0-438D-B713-AC023FFB3F22.jpeg

perps

7084CF76-69D2-4F35-9F2B-D7FEFC13D12F.jpeg

Tomato plants are coming up

EAE12D2E-35B1-4876-B217-F4B37607043C.jpeg