• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What’s Cracking In The Garden 2020

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Thanks for the reminder, I need to get my bunching onion (scallion) seeds sprouted!
In my climate bunching onions are perennial and can be harvested 365.
Right now they are mostly flowering.
I harvest as cut-and-come-again, rarely dig up the bulb.
If I lived in a climate with hard freezes, after my last harvest I would plant some of the bulbs in a flower box and put it on the window for fresh herbs in winter and then have a jump on season when it's time to plant out in spring.

Also, bunching onions are easily grown from leftover scraps of storebought bunching onions.
Mine came from bunches I picked up at the farmers market or korean grocery.
Much faster than growing from seed, but I guess it depends on how much you want to grow.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

ToBeSelfEvident

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I'm doing 3 kinds of tomatoes, 2 kinds of eggplant, 2 kinds of peppers and some butternut squash. I'm having to hand water because we are getting 85 - 90 degree days and no rain.

I think I will start some Seminole pumpkin seedlings and do a little stealth gardening around the neighborhood. Might come in handy later if grocery shelves are empty. There is still part of a vine growing in my neighbor's yard from a pumpkin I planted 2 years ago.

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Some kinda pluot/plum I grafted onto a Santa Rosa Plum

20200322_160600~2.jpg

Almonds already starting to take shape

20200322_160749~2.jpg

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Tangelos, still a little on the sour side, but tasty enough that we are picking a handful a day.
They'll keep sweetening up through summer.
tangelos.jpg

This is just about the last of the stone fruit flowers for this year. Random nectarine seedling, not grafted. Should have a good harvest of nectarines, peaches and plums this summer.

nec flower.jpg

Picked these greens up at a nursery last summer. Commonly called Longevity Spinach, latin is gynura procumbens.
It's looking a little tired after the winter, but should start to really perk up now warmer temperatures are here.
It might be my favorite green in the garden, not bitter at all, tender. Eat raw or cooked. Many health benefits.
Harvest 365 days a year in SoCal.
Propagates wicked easy by cuttings, so every time I harvest some I grow new plants.

gynura procumbens.jpg

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
End of last week I sowed 4 seeds of fruit bowl (sweet tooth x purple maui), and they have all sprouted and are growing nicely with no issues. That is a great strike rate for the age of the seeds.

:weed:

I am stoked!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
End of last week I sowed 4 seeds of fruit bowl (sweet tooth x purple maui), and they have all sprouted and are growing nicely with no issues. That is a great strike rate for the age of the seeds.

:weed:

I am stoked!
How old would you say they were?

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Id guess at least 10 years, the spinal cracker who is more learned on this particular breeder can probably give a better estimate.

I didnt do anything special, just popped em into jiffy pellets, hydrated w distilled water, then into a tray w dome, and onto a heat mat at 78 degrees f.

I also have a wack of skunk/haze gear from this breeder, cant wait to see if I can get em to bust.

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
6 inch's of snow and -10F temps last night says I ain't gonna be near the garden for a spell. But as we are looking after a 4 year old bundle of energy and questions the wife and him decided they would plant some Marygolds for his momma day present. As they were doing that I asked why not plant some tomatoes cause the last batch we bought started sprouting[turns one off wanting a tomater sammich].
IMG_3022.JPG
IMG_3021.JPG

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I got my baby chicks today, all alive and doing well so far, no weak ones. I have em in a heated shop, under a heat lamp, in an old stock tank the bottom rusted out of. They seem to be off to a good start.

I still need to start garden seeds. I will try to start this weekend. Still lots to do, busy times, and at times the weather doesnt cooperate.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
6 inch's of snow and -10F temps last night says I ain't gonna be near the garden for a spell. But as we are looking after a 4 year old bundle of energy and questions the wife and him decided they would plant some Marygolds for his momma day present. As they were doing that I asked why not plant some tomatoes cause the last batch we bought started sprouting[turns one off wanting a tomater sammich]. View attachment 159735 View attachment 159723
Thats a mom right there, already got the dustpan and whisk broom ready.........good times!

:2 thumbs up:

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I got my baby chicks today, all alive and doing well so far, no weak ones. I have em in a heated shop, under a heat lamp, in an old stock tank the bottom rusted out of. They seem to be off to a good start.

I still need to start garden seeds. I will try to start this weekend. Still lots to do, busy times, and at times the weather doesnt cooperate.
My chicks, I bought 8 at the local Rural King store, are a couple weeks old now. Soon be time to give them a larger play pen. They're in a 4ft by 2ft box now.

Bees were looking like they were way over crowded, so I gave them a honey super today. They were really packed out in there.

Onions are up, I used sets. We got our berry plants, strawberries and blueberries weeded. I still need to give the blueberries some fertilizer to reduce the pH. Wife got in a few other early seeds, not sure what as I checked earlier and did not yet see anything peeking out of the ground.

Merkin

Seeker
Seeker
really excited to get started on this year‘s garden .

I know folks like LumpofGold are ready to plant some greens so let’s get going!

I really have to wait until April/May.

Except for all the prep work.

There is no glamour in cleaning pots , pulling weeds , or running a tiller....it’s all work , honest work.

Gardens are good for the soul.

I don’t have anything to report except that I’m starting some medicinal herbs.

I have to start early because growing cannabis from seed requires selection of males vs females and culling out the runts.

I’ll be starting 6 varietals.

Chem 91
Chem 91 x Dragon
C99 from JoeyWeed
C99 x Northern Lights
Girl Scout Cookies x G13 Hashplant 88
Winkin’ Blinkin’ Nod from Luther Schwagbank...I have to look that one up again to see what’s in it.....

Good luck this Year to ya all!...

View attachment 152317
I started prepping my garden today, unlike my gardens of the past this one will just have a few medicinal herbs, and then mostly peppers, eggplant and some toms. I have a great sun window in the barn for starters, then lots of lovely composted horse, cow and chicken poop. I'm getting excited just thinking about it..

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Today, harvesting asian bunching onions, chard, ashitaba and thinning some of the smaller tangelos.

Also, collecting bunching onion seeds, most of which I will give away as I've got a perpetual supply of bunching onions.

20200404_113742~2.jpg

Moringa Oleifera. I have two I bought in 4 inch pots last summer, they're about 4 feet tall now.
They were dormant when I pulled them inside in January, since then they've perked up nicely.
I take them outside when it's warm and sunny. Probably transplant to the ground in a few weeks, next winter they won't have it so easy.

20200401_174900~2.jpg

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I eat a lot of the weeds that appear in my garden. This is one I actually encourage to grow.
Chickweed aka Stellaria Media is one of the few that my wife will happily eat. Raw in salad or lightly steamed or blanched.
It tends to flourish only in winter/early spring here, but I've found I can extend the season into summer in a shady spot with semi-regular watering.

stellaria media.jpg

Ashitaba is a perennial relative of celery, and you can use it similarly. Sweeter than celery, but not quite as juicy.
Very tasty as a tempura.
Ashitaba 明日葉 means "tomorrow leaf". Because you cut one of the stems off and by tomorrow it has replaced itself.

Here in SoCal it does not die back in winter. In mild temperate climates it's a dieback perennial. Not sure how far north it can survive the winters.

Shade tolerant. Good vegetable to grow in the understory of a food forest. I only have one plant, so I'm babying it in a container.
Once I'm able to propagate or grow more from seed, I will plant under my fruit trees.

ashitaba.jpg

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Hope y’all secured all your seeds for the season. Reading that people are making runs on them, distribution and order fulfillment are backed up. This from Seed Savers:

We are temporarily not accepting new orders.
Due to a sharp increase in seed orders, we are not accepting new orders at this time. We are still shipping previously placed orders and will open ordering back up again once we catch up. For a local source of Seed Savers Exchange seeds, please visit one of our Seed Rack partners near you.

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I eat a lot of the weeds that appear in my garden. This is one I actually encourage to grow.
Chickweed aka Stellaria Media is one of the few that my wife will happily eat. Raw in salad or lightly steamed or blanched.
It tends to flourish only in winter/early spring here, but I've found I can extend the season into summer in a shady spot with semi-regular watering.

View attachment 160460
gnome,
I have never eaten chickweed.
I actually tilled a mess of it under a few weeks ago. It is a stubborn weed that even the herbicide farmers can't control.
So could you school me in best practices for eating it?
Stems, leaves, & flowers all ok to eat?
Best when young, or no difference on size & age?
"Sort of tastes like.....what?"

Merkin

Seeker
Seeker
Today, harvesting asian bunching onions, chard, ashitaba and thinning some of the smaller tangelos.

Also, collecting bunching onion seeds, most of which I will give away as I've got a perpetual supply of bunching onions.

View attachment 160370

Moringa Oleifera. I have two I bought in 4 inch pots last summer, they're about 4 feet tall now.
They were dormant when I pulled them inside in January, since then they've perked up nicely.
I take them outside when it's warm and sunny. Probably transplant to the ground in a few weeks, next winter they won't have it so easy.

View attachment 160371
LOOKING good..

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
gnome,
I have never eaten chickweed.
I actually tilled a mess of it under a few weeks ago. It is a stubborn weed that even the herbicide farmers can't control.
So could you school me in best practices for eating it?
Stems, leaves, & flowers all ok to eat?
Best when young, or no difference on size & age?
"Sort of tastes like.....what?"
Younger is gonna be more tender, but I've never found it inedible, just a little more fibrous as it gets older.
Stems, leaves and flowers are edible.
I typically just go through a patch with scissors and cut the tips off for eating, anywhere from 2-5 inches or so, depending how tender it looks.

My 2 favorite ways to eat are:

1) Raw, in salad. Or just snack on it when I'm in the garden.

2) Lightly blanched. Less than 1 inch of water in bottom of pot, bring to a boil, add salt and toss the chickweed in, stir for just 30 seconds - take it out as soon as it has changed color to bright green. Could sprinkle with a high-quality soy sauce.

Occasionally I'll make tea from the more fibrous stems.

In Japan, where it has 1,000 year history as food, it's added to rice porridge (along with 6 other spring greens) as cleansing foods after the new years feasts.

Sort of tastes like...if I had to stretch it's kind of like a lettuce...but it's a stretch. It tastes like chickweed! Try it.

Medicinal properties: blood cleanser, reduces kidney related swelling, improves lactation. Can make into a paste and use as a compress for boils on skin or sore tooth.

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Ok,
Yesterday I gave the chickweed a shot.
Because I am a pussy, I mixed in a lot of other stuff that I hoped would disguise the taste....
I used some that was crawling up the north side of the house maybe already 16" in length.
Used a scissors to cut the stems.
They chewed... kind of like straw, pretty fibrous.
Maybe next time I will try stripping the leaves & eat them only.
Going to be atleast 3 weeks till the romaine is ready to start eating... sigh...

P1010001.JPG