• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What’s Cracking In The Garden 2020

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Just started a (mini - for 2) "Victory Garden"... next to wife's "flower garden" west of the cherry tree... (looking forward to those big sweet juicy black cherries! Already bloomed & fruit tiny green balls... May harvest.)

Rototilled the "clay" & lawn, added some purchased potting & top soil bags, rototilled again, poured a bottle of plant food.
Leveled it all off with rake then mason's aluminum plank.
Covered with black "landscape cloth". Fastened the cloth (old re-bar).

Snapped chalk lines every foot. I cut a small "cross" wherever I want to place a plant, that way I won't have to weed, and all the rain/watering will stay in the soil available for the crop, not grass (that's the plan, anyways).

Between the 1st 2 lines on the north side I planted a post at each end, attached gridded fencing wire (used - free).

Planted tomato plants on each line along the wire, spaced with basil plants (wife says they keep the bugs away).
A couple bell pepper plants at the ends.
Next row chives, leeks & onions.

Starting radishes & carrots & squash from seeds in pots...

The squash & zucchini etc will go in another spot - flower bed near the side walkway, so they can spread over the walkway.
Still have to get more soil & till that ground - and raise the walkway sidewalls to prevent soil from going into the gravel - think I'll use some of the 3' long ceramic flooring "planks" left over from the house renovation for that...
Work in progress...

Edit - ok - here's the pics... Not enough to feed a lot of people haha (late afternoon shade from the house).

uh... "
Oops! We ran into some problems.
The uploaded file is too large for the server to process.
... so I have to go to "paint" & edit, resize down to 30%... grrr...

View attachment 161881

View attachment 161882

View attachment 161883
Nice! You've got a little head start on me with the cherries.
Found a couple of these that sprouted out of the compost.
Hopefully get big enough this summer to graft known varieties next winter.
Probably start with Minnie Royal and Royal Lee, which are cross-pollinating low-chill varieties and diversify from there.

cherry.jpg

dacrunch

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
74 today, but humid & hot sun... electric rototiller's transmission gear crapped out, so had to pick-axe, shovel & hoe the clay soil... added 5 70 liter (2.5 cubic feet) bags of potting soil (total 12.5 cu ft), mixed with the chopped clay. Raised the walkway wall with 3' long leftover ceramic vertical "fake planks" holding down the landscape fabric... leveled everything off, laid down more ceramic tiles horizontally to hold down the cloth.

When the squash, zucchini seeds srpout in their potting soil, will move them there, without any "competition" from weeds... About 18' x 2'. Plenty of room for the vines & veggies to spread out on the gravel (which stays dry, 2' deep - all gravel -, dug it out & filled it last year, landscape cloth down 6'').

That's an east-west run, hedge gives shade now, but not when the sun is high during the summer. Busy one-way street on other side of hedge... leads to the "project", allahu-akbar... Quiet old folks' home across the street, though...

Bad picture, but gives an idea... Now for that shower!!

IMG-20200417-WA0002.jpeg

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Have some lilacs from the backyard brightening up the gloomy day.

IMG_20200417_123145832.jpg

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Because of the lemon cucumbers earlier, I had the wife call T@T seeds to order some. Their response was that they were not accepting any new orders for at least a week due to the over whelming orders this spring. That was quite interesting to me.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
My seedlings look happy so far. I really should have started them earlier. Have about 3 weeks before average last frost here. I can't complain about the germination rates. Almost all my container sections for peppers and tomatoes only have 1 seed and almost all sprouted. I have a fan running for much of the day since they started to sprout to keep them hardening. Running the lights 16 hours to hopefully make up for lost time.

Jalapenos, banana, Anaheim, hot red cherry, Serrano, green bell peppers, yellow pear and cherry tomatoes and 3 varieties of basil on the right.
Plants-2020-04-23-Img_3227SS.jpg

Cucumbers, various peppers and tomatoes
Plants-2020-04-23-Img_3225SS.jpg

The cucumber plants are growing like crazy. Starting to show their next set of leaves.
Plants-2020-04-23-Img_3228SS.jpg

I can't wait!

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
My seedlings look happy so far. I really should have started them earlier. Have about 3 weeks before average last frost here. I can't complain about the germination rates. Almost all my container sections for peppers and tomatoes only have 1 seed and almost all sprouted. I have a fan running for much of the day since they started to sprout to keep them hardening. Running the lights 16 hours to hopefully make up for lost time.

Jalapenos, banana, Anaheim, hot red cherry, Serrano, green bell peppers, yellow pear and cherry tomatoes and 3 varieties of basil on the right.
View attachment 162743

Cucumbers, various peppers and tomatoes
View attachment 162744

The cucumber plants are growing like crazy. Starting to show their next set of leaves.
View attachment 162745

I can't wait!
Excellent germination. What do you use to keep them warm?

Aurumag

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Michiganders maybe....

I wonder what other states have banned the purchase of seeds.

Because of the lemon cucumbers earlier, I had the wife call T@T seeds to order some. Their response was that they were not accepting any new orders for at least a week due to the over whelming orders this spring. That was quite interesting to me.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
I recently became aware of an awesome tool for controlling weeds. It is sometimes called a stirrup hoe, or a hula hoe, or an action hoe. I ordered one and it arrived today (mine being an "action hoe" by Yardworks).

This is the one I got:
https://www.menards.com/main/outdoo...e/2347440/p-1503469728044-c-1541513694153.htm

I just tried it out and I must say it is a big time saver. As you push and pull it through the ground it cuts the weeds at the roots. Of course you need to be careful around plants but for the bigger areas it is already saving me a lot of time. Still a good idea to pick out the weed parts, especially roots. I can see this saving me an extraordinary amount of time and crouching this summer.

What other awesome garden tools am I naive of?

Oh, and I noticed another pea plant sprouted and some carrots are sprouting in my raised bed. Last year carrots were a big fail, hoping for better luck. I think they got too wet and rotted (it was insanely wet for quite some time last year).

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I recently became aware of an awesome tool for controlling weeds. It is sometimes called a stirrup hoe, or a hula hoe, or an action hoe. I ordered one and it arrived today (mine being an "action hoe" by Yardworks).

This is the one I got:
https://www.menards.com/main/outdoo...e/2347440/p-1503469728044-c-1541513694153.htm

I just tried it out and I must say it is a big time saver. As you push and pull it through the ground it cuts the weeds at the roots. Of course you need to be careful around plants but for the bigger areas it is already saving me a lot of time. Still a good idea to pick out the weed parts, especially roots. I can see this saving me an extraordinary amount of time and crouching this summer.

What other awesome garden tools am I naive of?

Oh, and I noticed another pea plant sprouted and some carrots are sprouting in my raised bed. Last year carrots were a big fail, hoping for better luck. I think they got too wet and rotted (it was insanely wet for quite some time last year).

hahahahaha...that action hoe takes a lot of action and I backslid to my old standby conventional hoe.

here is a tool that I am looking to make or buy

I saw a video of a gardener loosening up his soil as opposed to using a roto-tiller or plow and disc ,I guess a version of no till

i want one about three times this wide

BEA2666A-2BDF-4C16-94D8-FB2DB87C5DB4.jpeg

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
here is a tool that I am looking to make or buy

I saw a video of a gardener loosening up his soil as opposed to using a roto-tiller or plow and disc ,I guess a version of no till

i want one about three times this wide
Interesting. For years I just tilled with a shovel. I would start by digging a hole, then use the shovel to slice of thin layers of dirt and break them up working my way across the space. Now I mostly only cultivate the top several inches. Especially since I learned the importance of mulch. The only exception is with my peppers, since they like loose soil I still dig down deep for those, loosening things up when planting. The soil here is very rocky and clay heavy but has gotten better every year as the mulch breaks down and I collect rocks and add compost.

Obviously I'm still obsessing over the garden here. I stumbled across this video demonstrating several different hoes and pros/cons.

I'm probably doing a whole lot wrong. Never really learned from someone with the kind of experience I would need here. My mom is a great gardener, but mostly grows in pots and also does straw bail gardening now. I'm too cheap for those methods. :) Also not fond of how often pots need watering as apposed to nicely mulched ground base. Still want to invest in more raised beds some year (if I'm confident I'm staying here and not moving further out into the boonies).

Coolest thing, yesterday I went to clean up part of my ditch since there's a lot of dry dead grass. Soon after starting I realized I was raking up some very nice mulch material so I ended up collecting loads of it and put it next to my garden beds for use soon as I plant the onions. Not seeing any seeds in the material. Some oak leaves in the mix which aren't bad for mulch either.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
This is one dense garden

Screenshot 2020-04-26 at 3.34.42 PM.png

Oldmansmith

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Slow start here in the western Mass hills, another dusting of snow this morning. I have stuff under row covers, but slow going. Where is spring?

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
hahahahaha...that action hoe takes a lot of action and I backslid to my old standby conventional hoe.
I've found that I can lean on either one with no issues..., until wife sees me, asks me if I'm done yet!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Finally got tom's and peppers in last year's plot. Going to start prepping a new larger plot for next year.

Anybody need aloe?

IMG_20200427_181455072.jpg

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Obviously I'm still obsessing over the garden here. I stumbled across this video demonstrating several different hoes and pros/cons.
They didn't cover my personal favorite...usually called the scuffle hoe. Over the years, these had become hard to find. But now I see a variation called the "winged weeder". I also see another variation called the "diamond hoe". I could work with any of those variations...

1588125623024.png

chrisflhtc

Seeker
Sr Site Supporter
Here is the state of my garden ATM hope its not too early. I have peas green beans and lima beans along with two peppers and two tomatoes

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
They didn't cover my personal favorite...usually called the scuffle hoe. Over the years, these had become hard to find. But now I see a variation called the "winged weeder". I also see another variation called the "diamond hoe". I could work with any of those variations...

View attachment 163392

that is a cool tool and I will be on the lookout for one..

always appreciate the amazing input by members here

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
that is a cool tool and I will be on the lookout for one..

always appreciate the amazing input by members here
I'd wear it out trying to keep it sharp, all the stones I have in my garden - well wife probably be the one to wear it out since I'd be the one leaning on it more than actually doing any weeding. This is how my wife prefers to weed!
1588286406811.png

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Follow up to my post #105 in this thread. We bought a new house with 5+ total acres, including about 2 acres that were in wheat field last year. I mowed that down last fall...

1588474429369.png

Disked it a couple times, and went out this afternoon and tilled it...

1588474482192.png

And the seeds that I started earlier (refer to the previously mentioned post #105) now are looking like this:

1588474571948.png

Got a few more going, as well. Not glorious, but a good head start for when we get them transplanted into the garden in a couple weeks.
Getting closer...

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
nice tractor J32
what year and model?

i need something about half that size , I’m getting to old to wrassel the bucking bronco rototiller , that fecker is gonna kill me one of these days

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
nice tractor J32
what year and model?

i need something about half that size , I’m getting to old to wrassel the bucking bronco rototiller , that fecker is gonna kill me one of these days
I have a Deere 2038r. Upgraded when my old 1025r drowned in the flood last spring. If you are looking for something half the size, the 1025r or similar might be what you need. Depends on your use. These compact and sub-compact tractors are useful for driveway grading, tilling, snow removal, and so forth.

I won't go too deep into the weeds of tractor specs and uses here...if you are interested, there is some discussion over in the farm tractor thread and that discussion could be had over there.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Planted a good number of onion plants today out in the garden. All I can say is "Wind, F OFF!". It was fairly calm before I started. About half way through it started to get breezy. Then the moment I start to spread straw around them for mulch WOOOOOOOOSH! Here comes the wind! I had to spray it all down for each bunch I spread and the wind would pick up always at the most inopportune moments. Mulching around onions is a task of extreme patience even when mother nature doesn't decide to play these little pranks. I guess that's what I get for living on the edge of a fire plain. In hindsight I should not have planted today but I did not know that when I started.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I got in a patch this morning w the tiller, ground is dry as a bone, hard as an old hub. I could only get the tiller halfway in, she wouldnt go no more captain!

Looks like its time to get my pre-water on, im nearly late to the show, only nearly though..........:secret:..............there is no point getting excited, gardening is supposed to be fun damnit. The soil is getting warmer by the day anyhow, let it ride.

I have about 150 tomato plants, and 90 or so peppers, a few eggplants, to get out of 6 packs, and into 3.5" pots, to go in the cold frame for a few weeks before they go to the field.

Its a work in progress. This little 40 x 90' patch will be like standing on my head, after market gardener for some years. Its all for the house, we are gonna eat good next winter.

Did I mention I like to smoke big ole joints and hoe weeds in my sombrero when its 100f?

:meditation:

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Everyone looks like they off to a great start this year. I haven't popped any veg seeds yet. Peppers and tomatoes and eggplants and herbs are on the menu. Maybe a few cukes as well.
New Variety of Italian garlic went in last fall and it looks to be doing very well. Starting to yellow up on me a bit early this year though so next year going to move it to a new patch for a couple years.
Fig trees are out and leafing out well already.. Have a couple varieties with a breba crop on it. The Chicago hardy thats in ground started a breba crop but then we got hit with cold nights again so that was the end of that. Probably should have covered it. End of the week we have a couple cold nights again so back into the storage trailer they go in the afternoons. PITA but it's only for a few nights and it should really help to get the head start on a couple of these varieties.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Well hells bells ma
Got a frost warning after temps were in the 80’s and 90’s

Frost here and 100 in Phoenix

Gotta putmall the babies in the garage until the remnants of old man winter make their final departure to the great white north

FROST ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM MDT /4 AM CDT/ TO
9 AM MDT /10 AM CDT/ WEDNESDAY...

* WHAT...Temperatures as low as 33 will result in frost
formation.

* WHERE...In Kansas, Cheyenne and Sherman Counties. In Colorado,
Yuma County, Kit Carson County and Cheyenne County Counties.
In Nebraska, Dundy and Hitchcock Counties.

* IMPACTS...Frost could kill sensitive outdoor vegetation if
left uncovered.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Temperatures may be cool enough in low
lying areas just east of the advisory to cause damage to
sensitive vegetation.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Take steps now to protect tender plants from the cold.

E8658AD0-2319-4F3B-A8EB-0C6E7BDE1C0C.jpeg
C2FF54D8-E3A8-4918-BC58-83C38A740A1D.jpeg
A87CFACD-5E7A-41C5-8AAE-4AB93E17BC67.jpeg

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Frost warning here too. That, after wife went to the trouble to set out some of her plants, now we gotta scramble some cover for the plants already out. I just have to move my figs into the shed for the night. I was going to plant some sunflowers for my bees and just because I like sunflower heads for my chickens once the bees are done and before the gold finches eat them all. Told my wife, I was going to wait until the weather stabilized to plant them.

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
24F last night and feels like it will get there again tonite. Got twenty smiley plants out but they're quite frost resistant. First tie in my life I ever saw a pumkin started inside and it was shivering just looking outside.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Looks like we might have some frost on the way as well. Day of last frost is normally middle of May here. Hopefully the carrots, lettuce, radishes and peas won't mind too much.

andial

((( member )))
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Planted a good number of onion plants today out in the garden. All I can say is "Wind, F OFF!". It was fairly calm before I started. About half way through it started to get breezy. Then the moment I start to spread straw around them for mulch WOOOOOOOOSH! Here comes the wind! I had to spray it all down for each bunch I spread and the wind would pick up always at the most inopportune moments. Mulching around onions is a task of extreme patience even when mother nature doesn't decide to play these little pranks. I guess that's what I get for living on the edge of a fire plain. In hindsight I should not have planted today but I did not know that when I started.
Great wind story, someone up there likes messing with us, it has to be.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Fig trees survived last nights cold. Low of 39 so wasn't to bad. Not taking anymore chances though and into storage they go this afternoon. They can come back out on Tuesday.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Great wind story, someone up there likes messing with us, it has to be.
I am convinced! I can't tell you how may times I have gone outside to do something when the wind was calm. Then as soon as I start getting in to the task at hand the wind picks up and starts blowing everything around. I often joke "Nature saw me and knows I'm doing something". Happened moments ago when I was up in a ladder outside soon as I climbed the ladder. I think it always happens when I climb a ladder. It's not just that it's more windy higher up. :)

andial

((( member )))
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I am convinced! I can't tell you how may times I have gone outside to do something when the wind was calm. Then as soon as I start getting in to the task at hand the wind picks up and starts blowing everything around. I often joke "Nature saw me and knows I'm doing something". Happened moments ago when I was up in a ladder outside soon as I climbed the ladder. I think it always happens when I climb a ladder. It's not just that it's more windy higher up. :)
Yes ladders and roof work are notorious wind creators, sprayers, laying out tarps, leaf raking, all wind creators, basically we're screwed.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
... and right on cue today, while I was shooting off a piece of trim around an attic door, over my head with someone else holding the piece in place, ran fresh out of bullets.