• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What’s Cracking In The Garden 2020

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Had to chuckle today.
I have rented my home 1/4 to a couple neighbors as I don't feel like having the hassle of hiring a seeder, swather, combine and dealing with selling grain for three years[at which time I'll seed back to alfalfa]. I nave a bush and low good ground in the NE corner that grows the best hemp nettles in the world. Which also means it grows really good happy plants. Told the guys that partt of the rental agreement was that there was to be no bitching about a track across their crop to that bush and I get the first 12 feet on the South side of the bush.
The guys were over today and got showed where if they drive/work/piss or anything to endanger my crop, someone would die. The one fellow said he'll wait until they are blooming and then die happy.LOL

Oldmansmith

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
The largest of my 3 snow pea plants coming up has grabbed hold of the fence and still holding on despite the 30 degree mornings we keep having. Should warm up here after Tuesday.
View attachment 164736

My peas look similar. I didn't post a picture, but we had ANOTHER snow last night.

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Cool pic Eric. Our peas are safe in their package.LOL Wife and ker helpers planted a bout 50 hills of spuds today. I was out spraying so that is my excuse.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Cool pic Eric. Our peas are safe in their package.LOL Wife and ker helpers planted a bout 50 hills of spuds today. I was out spraying so that is my excuse.
Thanks! That's a lot of spuds. Since it's only me here I usually grow just 3 red potato. This year I'm not doing any potato to make sure I have room for the new stuff I am doing. Planning to prepare more beds for next year by this fall. If any volunteer potatoes grow up I'll try and find a way to keep them.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
4b here. Often times safe to plant non-cold-hardy crops by 5/15 here but more and more I consider 5/25 - June 1 a safer target depending on the extended forecast. My logic is it helps to let the soil warm up a little longer.

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
SoaB it got down to 22F last night. Was gonna spray but experience has taught me it won't do any good today, seen three other fellows out spraying on my way home and just shook my head. Was gonna put some more happy plants out today but think maybe they'll be happier in the house until tomorrow.

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Got all our tomatoes and peppers in this weekend. We hadn't done anything with the garden bed for over a decade except use it and abuse it every spring/summer. 2 years ago production fell and last year we were just too busy and let it fallow. This year I took out the old frame, built it up a new frame, tilled it and threw a couple inches of composted dirt on top, so hopefully its back to good condition. Over the past year, some wild strawberries that always ringed the garden decided to completely take over the 1/3 less productive side (more shade) and we've decided to just let it have it and hope for a decent amount of strawberries (the strawberry bed in place is thick). A few maple trees took root, so I transplanted them to some pots temporarily, will have to decide what to do with them, just seemed like a shame to not save them.

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Jeez you guys whine about a little cool,eh. Just think what you would say if your cattle watering bowl was froze cause like a dumb ass you unplugged the heat, or the pump you use to fill your sprayer won't turn over cause it's froze up. Just enjoy life no matter what the weather throws at ya.

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Only thing cracking in the garden here is anything with water in it as it got down to 22F again last night. Drove by some garden centers the other day and their plants outside are looking a mite fried.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
That sucks, pitw. That pea plant of mine that was looking so nice got a bit freeze burned on the top leaves but the plant otherwise seems happy still. I guess cold-hardy != cold proof.

It looks like we might be done with the freezing weather here and strait on into the warm stuff. Possibly 80s next week. I just put up 7' section of welded wire fence to plant cucumbers and beans by. Am I the only one who has a hell of a time with t-post clips? I can make them work but forget about making them look nice and clean. That's the kind of results I generally get for anything though so I should not be too surprised. :D

Soon as I cool back down I should be able to plant some cucumber plants, cucumber seeds (for comparison), beans, and squeezing in some herb seeds here and there while I am at it'.

Saw my first hummingbird of the year checking out the chive buds.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Chives are blooming here. was over tilling a neighbors patch yesterday, nice purple chive flowers in his wifes herb bed.

Got 200 ft row of potatoes in day before yesterday, planted 160 feet of double onions rows today. Time for some beer and grilling some meat. Ill get the peppers and tomaotes out into the greenhouse tomorrow, under shade clothe for a week to harden off, then into the dirt they go. Right now im about 1/3 planted.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Nice Jarrod, your getting the new place sorted out nicely!

:2 thumbs up:

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Well, got 83 trees in the ground today. Some evergreen trees for a border along the property line, a few mulberry trees, and some elderberry and sand cherry bushes. Still on the agenda this weekend...a couple hundred berry plants.

View attachment 165352

View attachment 165354
What's your plan for the mulberries? Great multi-use trees. I am growing Pakistan, Hunza White and Early White varieties.
The Pakistan are the best mulberry I've ever tasted. Great trees for shade and forage for livestock.

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
hey you blind old fucker, its a posthole digger...............:secret:
Coop, my old man came home with one of them units some 46 years ago to use building some huge walls to use as feeders using ground up green feed. Me and the hired man learned on the first hole not to let it drill itself all the way down on the first try as we needed a 48" pipewrench and a 25' snipe to undrill that bitch. Pap came along later and saw me drilling 6 inchs and lifting, figured I was just wasting time and he put her down. We left and pointed to where the dedrilling tools were. He quit bothering us on that project.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
They are gnarly little tools.

If im in soft ground I just grab a bar and a sharpshooter (tile spade) and do them postholes old school. saves going to the house rigging the tractor, roading back etc.

I have a buddy who is a lineman, a few times a yr they leave the line truck over the weekend at my place when they do line maintenence, and he uses it to set line posts, cut down for me for corners.

Goddamn truck will drill an 11 foot deep hole all the way down, and put the post in the clean hole. Never seen anything like it. Old son tells me that truck new is 600k usd.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Hope ya had a tractor with ground drive pto to unroll it. I'd of also paid money to watch it.LOL
I threw the auger in the shithole, and went and got a new one.

Its was something to see, a wonder we didnt get cut to ribbons. Shit was going everywhere. the t posts were still on it too.

'Get out of the way boys, here we go!' kind of deal.

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Me and the hired man learned on the first hole not to let it drill itself all the way down on the first try as we needed a 48" pipewrench and a 25' snipe to undrill that bitch.
You are correct. A little at a time. If you are using a light tractor, and that auger takes hold, it can screw into the ground to the point that it lifts the front of the tractor off the ground. Don't ask me how I know that. And you are also correct that the reverser looks a lot like this:

1589662387053.png

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Nice Jarrod, your getting the new place sorted out nicely!
Thank you. Yes, we are. Starting mostly from scratch, so it will be a couple three years before we start to get much production from some of this, but we have a lot of space so can set things up as we like and have lots of room to work. This is gonna be good. We are in a really good place right now.

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Thought I'd share how I started sweet potato slips.
Always hear people say just use tooth picks for support.
Well I don't have any tooth picks,
But I have plenty of 3" screws.
Winding down this part of the operation. The slips that I will plant are in water working on making roots.
First year I did this. So far so good.

P1010002.JPG

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
For sweet potato slips, I look for one that has sprouted just a bit. Cut off the top 1/4, eat other 3/4 and plant the sprouting top in a pot with soil.
As long as it's warm enough they'll be fine.

I eat the SP leaves sautéed with toasted sesame oil and salt throughout the growing season.

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Wife, daughter, son and grandson planted taters, corn, carrots, beans and whatever else the last two days. They also transplanted all them tomats from the kid experiment. 56 tomats came outta the one tomato. Drier than a popcorn fart here at the farm.

chrisflhtc

Seeker
Sr Site Supporter
Need an opinion about using softened water to water my garden. will it hurt the plants?
TIA
Chris

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Need an opinion about using softened water to water my garden. will it hurt the plants?
TIA
Chris
I was looking at installing a water softener and I asked the guy that. He said better to pipe a bypass so water to hose and irrigation system would not use softened water.