• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What’s Cracking In The Garden 2020

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Lately I have been pondering putting a garden and possibly about 4 apple trees just up from them. I am in apple orchard country.
If I was starting fruit trees from scratch, I would seriously consider espaliar .
It keeps the fruit where you can pick without a ladder.
And if you like nice looking fruit, & don't enjoy seeing 1/2 a worm in the apple you are eating, you will need to do some spraying.
Much faster & efficient to apply treatment to a "fence" than a round tree.
My 2 cents.
This is a link to stark's page for small operations. (lots of orchards have adopted this as well for their new plantings)
https://www.starkbros.com/growing-guide/article/espalier-fruit-trees

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
My lilacs were done a few weeks ago, im hooked on the smell of them flowers.

My potatoes are coming up.

Its on man.

You better get yer shit gathered boys, its gonna be a long winter.

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
You better get yer shit gathered boys, its gonna be a long winter.
Trying to get my shit together. Wanted to do a lot of planting this weekend, but got a buttload of rain on Friday. Almost dried out today...could get out in the garden tomorrow, but talking rain and thundershowers again tonight. Might be a few more days, unless we can dodge the rain tonight...

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
The lilac flowers finally opened up. These are the first shrubs I ever planted soon after getting this place. Lately I have been pondering putting a garden and possibly about 4 apple trees just up from them. I am in apple orchard country.
Nice lilacs!

If you are in apple country, I'd consider putting in only one or two apple trees (make sure they are self-pollinating or cross pollinating varieties) and do the other two trees in some other kind of fruit. For fall fruits in a colder climate, I like persimmons or asian pears. Maybe a hardy pomegranate.

Apples are great productive trees, but vulnerable to pests and diseases, and they are likely to be heavy in your area.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
If I was starting fruit trees from scratch, I would seriously consider espaliar .
It keeps the fruit where you can pick without a ladder.
And if you like nice looking fruit, & don't enjoy seeing 1/2 a worm in the apple you are eating, you will need to do some spraying.
Much faster & efficient to apply treatment to a "fence" than a round tree.
My 2 cents.
This is a link to stark's page for small operations. (lots of orchards have adopted this as well for their new plantings)
https://www.starkbros.com/growing-guide/article/espalier-fruit-trees
Great advice. I really appreciate it. Will definitely look at that if do I get around to planting fruit trees.

Nice lilacs!

If you are in apple country, I'd consider putting in only one or two apple trees (make sure they are self-pollinating or cross pollinating varieties) and do the other two trees in some other kind of fruit. For fall fruits in a colder climate, I like persimmons or asian pears. Maybe a hardy pomegranate.

Apples are great productive trees, but vulnerable to pests and diseases, and they are likely to be heavy in your area.
Thanks! Oddly enough, my preference would be to have one or 2 productive tree but my thought was if I plant a few then I have a better chance of one or two doing well. Was thinking of finding out what species the neighboring orchard uses, as my trees would be about 100 feet away - then it begs the question about pests as there may be well established pests around their trees ready to hop on over.

I do really like the pears that grow around here so maybe that is something worth looking into. I am not certain, but I suspect the pears grown around here are grafted to deal with frost.

Currently I have 1 fruit tree I planted in the general area, not far back from the lilacs. It is a choke cherry. I planted it just to have something there to be honest. I've never harvested off of it, but since it is about to be covered with choke cherries I am considering trying to make some jelly this year. That all depends on how well I can catch up on everything else needing done on my property though. Who knew 1.7 acres could be so much work! lol

Anyone forage on their property? I'm going to go out and get a few pics of some of the interesting natural options that are springing up here while I cool off.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Just thought I would share some foraging options I have on my property. These are not intended to be used for identification, make sure to do your own research if you're planning on eating wild plants and fruits.

Black Raspberries. These are just starting to bud. The fruit is a delicious refreshing snack on a hot summer day. These are very common around Minnesota.
BlackRaspberries-2020-05-25-Img_3672S.jpg

Wild grapes are a nuisance around here but at least they are edible (and not bad). The fruit has pits but that's no big deal. The leaves are edible, quite good and very nutritious. They are not good for trees. They vine up and even seem to root into trees along the vine causing damage.
GrapeLeaves-2020-05-25-Img_3664SS.jpg

Wild peas. I have a big patch of them. They are good eating but I tend to leave them for the deer, especially now that I grow peas in my garden. The deer love eating the flowers and the peas pods.
WildPeas-2020-05-25-Img_3671SS.jpg

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Anyone forage on their property? I'm going to go out and get a few pics of some of the interesting natural options that are springing up here while I cool off.
I ate 4 at least edible weeds in the last two days: Puslane, chickweed, salad mallow, wood sorrel. I've been ignoring the lambs quarters, sow thistle and amaranth for no particular reason except general abundance of greens. Plus my chard, arugula and collards are basically weeds at this point, popping up all over the garden.

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Thanks! Oddly enough, my preference would be to have one or 2 productive tree but my thought was if I plant a few then I have a better chance of one or two doing well. Was thinking of finding out what species the neighboring orchard uses, as my trees would be about 100 feet away - then it begs the question about pests as there may be well established pests around their trees ready to hop on over.
If it were me, I'd be tempted to eat a few apples from last fall (ie - not imported from NZ or Chile) pop the seeds in pots and grow me multiple rootstocks over this summer and then ask the grower for some budwood when they prune in late fall. Graft that budwood onto your rootstocks in the spring and BAM you've got a dozen trees of whatever they are growing. Grafting is actually really easy, plenty of good videos on Youtube.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Anyone forage on their property?
Lots of black raspberries on my property. I actually planted some in part of my garden area - so I didn't have to wander so far to pick them. Daughter-in-law puts on her bib overalls and climbs around through the wild berry bushes picking the black raspberries, the areas I used to pick until I got smart and moved a few. There are other "weeds" that we could be harvesting if we chose to.

In other news, strawberries are starting to ripen here, but wife is battling some kind of bug killing her cucumbers. We managed to get them through some late frosts, then the bugs got them.

The swarm of bees I caught earlier are seeming to be doing fine. I did feed them a jar of sugar water at first, but now they are foraging on their own without my help.

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
For reference on growing apples from seed and grafting...

Here are two babies from seeds I tossed in a pot a few weeks ago.
Followed by an example of tree abuse, I should remove all the fruit from this tiny tree (only 2 foot tall) to let it mature.
It's an unknown known variety grafted onto a seedling, which is to say I forgot which variety I grafted.
20200526_092225.jpg

20200526_090535 (1).jpg

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
^ you have the gears in my brain turning. Will see if I can source a some local apple seeds. Not sure what I will find. I know Haralson apples are very good and popular around here.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
I did not want to admit defeat, but I finally broke down and bought some plants yesterday from the local farm store. Many of my seedlings just aren't growing fast enough. I started them too late and suspect I am still doing some things wrong. Will still use the ones that are big enough and try again next year to learn from my mistakes.

They are getting down there on the selection but the plants are very mature and healthy. Also I like to support them. Good place to get local produce, honey, syrup, etc.

Meanwhile I feel like mother nature is laughing her ass off at me. If the forecast calls for certain rain and I act on that, we might just get slightly spit on (meanwhile all around gets heavy rain). Then if the forecast calls for a very slight chance of rain and there is almost nothing on radar and I act on the assumption of not much rain, it rains, rains rains rains rains! I can't make any sense of what I can or should do anymore. If I start to mow, it starts to rain, if I give up on mowing, it stops raining. If I water, it rains and rains. If I don't water, it only slightly spits. I should just start just doing the exact opposite of what I think I should do.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Looks like everyone is off to the races , especially when the spring rains slow down

Thanks for that great info on the Apple trees and all the other tips and tricks!

we finally got some tomatoes in the ground

peppers are next

medicine plants hardening off

F4249998-0BDD-418C-B7A9-BF9024ABA64C.jpeg

F3DF3C1A-9F6C-4F79-91D9-CD3BFFC7834F.jpeg

048F0542-74A9-4871-A148-E5601D69041F.jpeg

lots more stuff in trays still coming along

886DDCBF-A7A4-476C-937E-845B6AA5BC5B.jpeg

closeup.....

C92311E6-2375-4922-8445-9581EFF2353D.jpeg

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Meanwhile I feel like mother nature is laughing her ass off at me.
Gardening is pretty much like gambling.
I'm not exactly in a peach state, I do have some. (Southern Ohio)
In a good year, (about 1 in 3 or maybe 5), we get loads of peaches.
This year is not one of those, the last two years weren't either.
This year, if the bugs don't cause them to rot and fall off, we might get a few peaches to eat, none to can or freeze for winter.
It was cold here until it got hot, (95 degrees hot), rained 4 inches, then got so hot it baked the soil like a rock.
Mother Nature just ain't much fun most years.

Least I got the pool open so I can get in to cool off.

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Meanwhile I feel like mother nature is laughing her ass off at me. If the forecast calls for certain rain and I act on that, we might just get slightly spit on (meanwhile all around gets heavy rain). Then if the forecast calls for a very slight chance of rain and there is almost nothing on radar and I act on the assumption of not much rain, it rains, rains rains rains rains! I can't make any sense of what I can or should do anymore. If I start to mow, it starts to rain, if I give up on mowing, it stops raining. If I water, it rains and rains. If I don't water, it only slightly spits. I should just start just doing the exact opposite of what I think I should do.
That is why she is called ma nature. Just like dealing with most any woman.

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
^ you have the gears in my brain turning. Will see if I can source a some local apple seeds. Not sure what I will find. I know Haralson apples are very good and popular around here.
The seeds don't have to be local, just not from the southern hemisphere because they'll be new apples, not last season's apples.
When you get apples that have been in storage for a few months, if you look at the core you will find a fair number of seeds already sprouted.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Dammit, I had a nice patch of leaf lettuce growing real well for once and I look today and it is almost completely bare. Even the stems are gone, eaten to the ground. :bang head: Guessing mice ate it since I have deer fence all around (which would also stop rabbits plus rabbits would have been very noticeable on my camera). Just fashioned a screen enclosure for 2 of the few remaining lettuce plants. Think I should make something bigger though so I can cover the area. As if I needed something else to do on my ever expanding list that I will never finish.

I could really use a day where everything I touch doesn't go wrong. This whole day week month year has been annoyance after annoyance. It's like I can't let any sort of guard down whatsoever because something is waiting to sucker punch me at every turn.

I'll try and keep quiet now, I don't only come here to complain. I didn't used to be a grumpy prick.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Dammit, I had a nice patch of leaf lettuce growing real well for once and I look today and it is almost completely bare. Even the stems are gone, eaten to the ground. :bang head: Guessing mice ate it since I have deer fence all around (which would also stop rabbits plus rabbits would have been very noticeable on my camera). Just fashioned a screen enclosure for 2 of the few remaining lettuce plants. Think I should make something bigger though so I can cover the area. As if I needed something else to do on my ever expanding list that I will never finish.

I could really use a day where everything I touch doesn't go wrong. This whole day week month year has been annoyance after annoyance. It's like I can't let any sort of guard down whatsoever because something is waiting to sucker punch me at every turn.

I'll try and keep quiet now, I don't only come here to complain. I didn't used to be a grumpy prick.
Welcome to my world. Planted peppers yesterday, and discovered this morning that pack rats ate 6 plants, as well as mowing about a third of my onions.. I found where they got in, and set conibears, and covered everything in sevin dust.

They got in my greenhouse as well, and killed a bunch of tomatoes.

It makes me want to till everything into the ground and say fuck it.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Got some tomato, pepper, basil and thyme plants in between last night and today. The garden is starting to look like a garden. I just got stung by a bee while planting an anaheim pepper plant. First time I've been stung by a bee in I think over 20 years. Didn't even see it. Felt the sting and found the stinger. Hurts and burns but I'm not allergic and still love bees.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
The wind
always dealing with the wind
The wind will eventually win
Wind can be so annoying. Rare calm day today (5-10 mph), but I bet anything as soon as I start to do something it will pickup beyond forecast levels. Tomorrow forecast to be quite windy. Better stake any peppers I put in today unless I decide not to chance tomorrow, but that would mean planting in sweltering heat which isn't good for plants nor productivity.

ToBeSelfEvident

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
No rain for 6 weeks here so the garden is a mess. Still getting tomatoes, peppers and eggplants but my butternut squash is probably done. The stuff I planted along the fence got overrun by dollarweed from the neighbor's yard. Healthiest dollarweed I ever saw; left litttle room for any other root systems. I'll have to nuke that whole area and go back to raised beds or buckets there.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
IMG_20200531_181431852.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
It's rubber..there's two of them in there. Look for the green one hiding behind him.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I caught a live one in my grow room a week or so ago. Let it loose outside.

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
What the [you know what] would you have a plastic snake in your garden for? Probably the only thing it's gonna keep out is me so I guess a decoration.
If I had a live one in me grow room, the snake would have a grow room.

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Windy here today, too. But still put some plants in the ground. 30 tomatoes of various varieties, 26 squash, also of various varieties, and 13 melon plants. Seeds in the ground as well...corn, beans, radishes, carrots, beets, peas, lettuce, cucumbers, and probably a few others that I forgot about. Now the waiting game begins...

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Just watering and howing weeds here. I have been going out when the sun comes up, so I can hide indoors from this blast furnace weather (95 degrees, 30 mph winds).

With no moisture since last fall, its about as dry here as ive ever seen it.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
What the [you know what] would you have a plastic snake in your garden for? Probably the only thing it's gonna keep out is me so I guess a decoration.
If I had a live one in me grow room, the snake would have a grow room.
They ended up in my lap one day and now they move around causing drama as is evidenced here.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
It’s 5 am and time to play in the garden
This ain’t work
Pouring and finishing concrete is work

High winds all day yesterday and near 100 so today I’ll play catch up , need to plant more tomatoes , jalapeños , and some odds and ends.

Hell , I’m already thinking about a fall garden.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
My packrat and rabbit snares just came in the mail, let the games begin.

The dogs are gonna be eating good.

Its on niggas!