• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What’s Cracking In The Garden 2020

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
No pack rats or rabbits here. Worst thieves are the kids and their buddy's.LOL Even ma has threatened to shoot them mooch's.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
No rubber snakes here, yet. I may add a demogorgon. ;)

Here is how my newest plantings are looking.

Various peppers and basil. Anaheim, yellow banana, lunchbox, Serrano.
Garden-2020-06-01-Img_3769SSS.jpg

Peppers, basil, oregano, thyme, tomatoes and marigolds.
Garden-2020-06-01-Img_3770SSS.jpg

Pepper, basil, tomatoes, marigolds and some last year onions on the right.
Garden-2020-06-01-Img_3771SSS.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
We've been getting very steady rain here over the past month and I hadn't checked the garden in a week and a half or two. Went out there today and to my surprise were harvestable peppers! I took off the two big ones and made a slight error in judgment when I decided to chomp down on one not realizing the high spice level.... Had me snotting all over the place. As I dripped sweated nd sniffed, I untangled the tomato cages and got them around the plants. I've got four good-sized tomato plants now and still have four small tomato starts I've been unable to get in the ground for one reason or another. Better Boy early girl I can't remember the others at the moment.

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
...I also trimmed off the lower couple sets of leaves from all the plants.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Very nice. You are a ways ahead of me. I do have a couple pepper flowers (Serrano I think), and a few other pepper plants and one of my tomato plants has buds. Praying no hail, there was 2 inch hail reported in the storm system moving through. I need to make and put up a "No hail allowed on these premises" sign on my food garden fence. That should do it.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Very nice. You are a ways ahead of me. I do have a couple pepper flowers (Serrano I think), and a few other pepper plants and one of my tomato plants has buds. Praying no hail, there was 2 inch hail reported in the storm system moving through. I need to make and put up a "No hail allowed on these premises" sign on my food garden fence. That should do it.
Yeah those plants survived the huge storm that blew through a couple weeks ago... come to think of it the last time it looked at the plants was after coming home from work after that hailstorm. I posted pictures in the random pictures thread but not here. I think the hailstorm was just north of my house as even my truck got dented in the storm while at work.

IMG_20200504_100508007.jpg
IMG_20200504_100552329.jpg

Last edited:

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
No fecking rain here , just wind bombs.

So I am out digging holes in the garden to plant some stuff and I hit this.
wtf?

i have been digging holes since 5 am and I’m to damn tired to dig anymore but now my curiosity is kicking in

should I dig it up or keep planting?....

5DEEC3FE-DC82-43A7-90DA-340D0DF91D26.jpeg
FE71DFD6-469D-4A70-8AE0-6B81757094EA.jpeg

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
You should mark it and keep planting, dig it up in the fall.

We got about a quarter inch last night, much needed, supposed to get rain several days, but it seems to pass right by - to the north or south of us.
Oh well, that big rain tank is there for a reason.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
So my buddy came to work a couple weeks back with some old blinds and said he was making a fence for his garden. His old lady is not the gardening type and wants the cute Better Homes and Gardens look so we quickly cobbled together this fence and I'll be damned if it doesn't look cute. Ended up chopping the blinds into 3rds and brought a stack of 1x stock, we made a jig and stapled them up. I joked that it wouldn't last two weeks but it's actually been holding up surprisingly well so far.

IMG_20200515_153443883.jpg

I kept teasing about "workin on the railroad" ...choo choo!"

613098482.jpg

Last edited:

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Think I've been banned from posting photos. :) Still cant post anything.
Was going to show what happens when you don't harvest your garlic 1 year. You get loads of scapes. :).. I took a bunch of those today but also left a bunch on so I can make seed... Also making my own onion seed from this really thick stalked onion thats growing. Well, I didn't plant it so I assume it's onion. Possibly from seed that dropped there last year or from onions planted there the year before.. The goal this year is start some seed in the fall and make my own onion sets. For no other reason than because I haven't done it before.

The garlic that I am letting go to seed will actually be a new strain of garlic. Very similar to the original but should be slightly different. So if you grow garlic from the bulb and break that apart and plant the cloves you are basically almost cloning the original. You can also let the garlic scapes go and they will form Bulbils. Plant the bulbils and with most hardneck varieties within 2 years you have a bulb of garlic.. Some like the one I have (Martins) will produce a bulb in 1 year. I think planting from seed also takes 2 years. Seeds form at the top of the scape if you leave the bulb in the ground past the harvest date. The seed forms similar to onions.
I tired a new Italian garlic last year and decided to go with that in the future. It was even better than the martins. This year I will only get a couple bulbs for eating and the rest is going back in for next years bulbs and seed. I love garlic.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Think I've been banned from posting photos. :) Still cant post anything.
Was going to show what happens when you don't harvest your garlic 1 year. You get loads of scapes. :).. I took a bunch of those today but also left a bunch on so I can make seed... Also making my own onion seed from this really thick stalked onion thats growing. Well, I didn't plant it so I assume it's onion. Possibly from seed that dropped there last year or from onions planted there the year before.. The goal this year is start some seed in the fall and make my own onion sets. For no other reason than because I haven't done it before.

The garlic that I am letting go to seed will actually be a new strain of garlic. Very similar to the original but should be slightly different. So if you grow garlic from the bulb and break that apart and plant the cloves you are basically almost cloning the original. You can also let the garlic scapes go and they will form Bulbils. Plant the bulbils and with most hardneck varieties within 2 years you have a bulb of garlic.. Some like the one I have (Martins) will produce a bulb in 1 year. I think planting from seed also takes 2 years. Seeds form at the top of the scape if you leave the bulb in the ground past the harvest date. The seed forms similar to onions.
I tired a new Italian garlic last year and decided to go with that in the future. It was even better than the martins. This year I will only get a couple bulbs for eating and the rest is going back in for next years bulbs and seed. I love garlic.
lately if I take a photo outdoors in the daytime the file becomes too large to upload directly to GIM so I go through this website first and then instead of uploading it through the attached file, use the hyperlink option. I'll usually just click it to 6% or 10% reduction in size but that part doesn't matter, it's getting the hyperlink that counts.

http://www.simpleimageresizer.com/upload

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
lately if I take a photo outdoors in the daytime the file becomes too large to upload directly to GIM so I go through this website first and then instead of uploading it through the attached file, use the hyperlink option. I'll usually just click it to 6% or 10% reduction in size but that part doesn't matter, it's getting the hyperlink that counts.

http://www.simpleimageresizer.com/upload
Yea I was wondering if my file sizes were to big. Thanks for that link. I am always reducing photos and my only complaint with apple is their photo stuff..

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
just call your daughter you crusty old fucker, she will tell you how to do it in 2 minutes...............:weed:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Just got some pics sent from my mom...cherry, apple, peach no plum...

IMG_20200607_152001316_HDR_01.jpg

IMG_20200607_152325221_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200607_152845699_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200607_152255509_HDR_02.jpg

last year the deer got to the cherries before she could which was the first year they produced, this year she moved the netting and they're still trying their darndest to get at them.
She's always in a constant fight with the squirrels over the peaches.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
So my buddy came to work a couple weeks back with some old blinds and said he was making a fence for his garden. His old lady is not the gardening type and wants the cute Better Homes and Gardens look so we quickly cobbled together this fence and I'll be damned if it doesn't look cute. Ended up chopping the blinds into 3rds and brought a stack of 1x stock, we made a jig and stapled them up. I joked that it wouldn't last two weeks but it's actually been holding up surprisingly well so far.

View attachment 168131
I kept teasing about "workin on the railroad" ...choo choo!"

View attachment 168132
Just got sent a night shot... Not too sure of the purpose but have made sure he understands the light cycle.

IMG_1466.jpg

BackwardsEngineeer

Total curmudgeon
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Hey Misty,
I love those led lights, no warm white, give me the cool white 5000 to 6500k strips. They are awesome under cabinet, above cabinet, cut in strips for my lighthouses or her figurines, down the dock, around the walkway, gang them up under the dock for flounder fishing, up under a catamaran or pontoon boat, behind the television for indirect lighting, mount in the upper corner of dark hallways then leave 1/2" gap between ceiling and crown to light the ceiling....

The mrs swears I get up in the middle of the night to think of new places to stick them, I think I am a charter member to this site:

https://www.superbrightleds.com

One note don't buy the cheap china power supplies you'll just end up changing them out! Buy the best power supply and don't overload them, We never turn off our under cabinet in the kitchen, the good power supplies will last 3 or 4 years continuous....

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Lots of sun and some night time storms led the tomatoes to explode in growth, peppers are slowly getting there.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Lots of sun and some night time storms led the tomatoes to explode in growth, peppers are slowly getting there.

Same here... I haven't checked on the garden since my last update and just now went out to get a pepper for my salad. Tomatoes have shot up and there's two tomatoes that weren't there last time one of them an inch by an inch!

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Things are growing really fast here as well. 90 degrees F and windy. Watered hard yesterday, I added soaker hoses and splitters to make it easier this year. Also gave the leaves a spray of Epsom salt and calcium. Luckily the plants seem to be doing just fine. A Serrano pepper went from about 1/2 yesterday to nearly 1 inch long today. A lunchbox pepper flower bloomed and one of my tomato plants looks ready to bloom. A few radishes are ready soon as I want them.

I planted some more beans a few days ago since so few of the ones I planted before sprouted. A few sproued and quickly grew leaves and are growing like crazy.

Finally ate some leaf lettuce yesterday on a fish sandwich. Otherwise been eating chives, basil, oregano,

I need to get a pic of a from seed cucumber next to a pre-grown plant. They aren't much different already, but I haven't had much germination with the cucumbers outside. Planted some more a few days ago, waiting to see if more come up.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Things are growing really fast here as well. 90 degrees F and windy. Watered hard yesterday, I added soaker hoses and splitters to make it easier this year. Also gave the leaves a spray of Epsom salt and calcium. Luckily the plants seem to be doing just fine. A Serrano pepper went from about 1/2 yesterday to nearly 1 inch long today. A lunchbox pepper flower bloomed and one of my tomato plants looks ready to bloom. A few radishes are ready soon as I want them.

I planted some more beans a few days ago since so few of the ones I planted before sprouted. A few sproued and quickly grew leaves and are growing like crazy.

Finally ate some leaf lettuce yesterday on a fish sandwich. Otherwise been eating chives, basil, oregano,

I need to get a pic of a from seed cucumber next to a pre-grown plant. They aren't much different already, but I haven't had much germination with the cucumbers outside. Planted some more a few days ago, waiting to see if more come up.
At what ratio do you mix the Epsom salt spray at? I sprinkled it on the ground for the grass in the past but have never heard of spring into the leaves. Is there any science behind that you can direct me to?

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
At what ratio do you mix the Epsom salt spray at? I sprinkled it on the ground for the grass in the past but have never heard of spring into the leaves. Is there any science behind that you can direct me to?
2 tablespoons per gallon of water. It is called a foliar spray. I also sprinkle on the ground around peppers and tomatoes. Only started going it last year. Here is the source I was going by.

https://harvesttotable.com/epsom-salt-tomato-and-pepper-growing/

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Oh and for science behind it, I can't say a lot other than a number of very knowledgeable youtube gardeners have recommended it. I heard it on the internet, it must be true/sarc. :)

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Oh and for science behind it, I can't say a lot other than a number of very knowledgeable youtube gardeners have recommended it. I heard it on the internet, it must be true/sarc. :)
Well it's definitely a source of magnesium and is water soluble, so makes sense to me. I used to work for a horticulturist and applied foliar sprays of different sorts. Including at the time a product called bobex, a locally made repellent described by my boss as basically ground up road kill, used to keep deer from eating rich people's hosta. :)

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Eating a lot of spinach, lettuce, and radishes the last couple weeks.

Had some issues with flea beetles chomping eggplant, kale, collards, and some Brassicas. Nipped that in the bud, but some damage was done. Lesson learned on this particular pest, and lesson learned that you will always have some loss. Overall looking pretty good.

This website may help you with random pests and how to deal with them in a fashion than is not detrimental to your plants, soil, bees, and other desirable aspects of your garden and neighboring area: https://www.treehugger.com/lawn-gar...s-save-your-garden-without-killing-earth.html

Good luck out there folks.

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
No fecking rain here , just wind bombs.

So I am out digging holes in the garden to plant some stuff and I hit this.
wtf?

i have been digging holes since 5 am and I’m to damn tired to dig anymore but now my curiosity is kicking in

View attachment 167836 View attachment 167837
I knew I should have buried my stash deeper!

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
You just have that Cat sitting around? I could use that for about a week over here. :)..

Last frost date here is May 15th but really most of my stuff didn't go in until last week of may through right now. Still popping seeds for even more tomatoes. Most will come a little later than normal depending on the weather but I am really pushing for that late tomato harvest so I can fire up the canners this year. Salsa, Sauce and whole tomatoes. Hoping for 300-600 lbs of romas along with the abbatistas. Maybe another 200 lbs of those. The rest of the tomatoes are basically for slicing and eating. Thats assuming a 25-30lb per plant harvest.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
O
On 9news.com there is pictures from Akron Colorado, that place got wrecked in the extreme.

I just got done checking my place over, nothing wrecked that ive found so far. A buddy tells me in a town s of here, lots of tore up stuffs.

We had an 89 mph gust on the next farm over. Old son has a weather station, or rather had, it got demolished.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Feeling for you guys with that terrible wind.

Rainy day here but had a bit of a break to go out and mulch and grab a few quick pics.

On the left, we have cucumber that was started outside from seed. On the right, we have a cucumber plant that was started inside and planted outside as a plant. Will be interesting to see which does better over time assuming nothing happens to them. The plants in the center are green beans that may get thinned but giving time in case something happens.

CucumberBeanPlants-2020-06-09-Img_4010SS.jpg

The best of my tango leaf lettuce plants so far. Cut it down a few days ago for eating and it's nearly as big as it was before I did that.
Lettuce-2020-06-09-Img_4012SS.jpg

One of the pea plants has a flower pedal emerging. It shouldn't be too long now for peas.
PeaPlant-2020-06-09-Img_4011SS.jpg

Peppers. Lot labels on these ones, at first I assumed they are Serrano peppers but the light green and texture now makes me think they are Anaheims.

Pepper-2020-06-09-Img_4013SS.jpg

Pepper-2020-06-09-Img_4014SS.jpg

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Spinal... what if any damage, did it do to your garden? Hope it didn't dig into your max plant limit!
hey there engineer......we will survey the situation today

i did look at some plants but it made me depressed...a couple dozen jalapeño plants were looking bad after the cold winds , rain , and hail , don’t know if they will recover.

same with two dozen tomato plants

the medicine plants look like hell warmed over , they are usually pretty tough and I’m hoping all will pull out of this funk and do their thing......thankfully I have a few backup plants inside in case of emergencies like this...

we lost 95% of last years crop because of hail and bugs and we did NOT have any backup plants and consequently we ran out of medicine and had to buy a lot of flowers so I told myself I would not make that same mistake this year

i will try and get some photos when the sun comes up

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
multiply this several times over and some tomato plants but all in all it could have been a lot worse

a lot will recover until the next Mother Nature joke is played on us , like a plague of locusts or mosaic tobacco virus and russet mites

and then there is always a shot at a semi small fall,garden cause unless one has some cold frames. , fall don’t last at all

7CB34694-8828-4F40-BBC3-513C97397385.jpeg
9F758F25-9D3C-4C73-B282-51B027FAE42E.jpeg