• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

What’s Cracking In The Garden 2021

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of squash coming along with the tomatoes. Cucumbers are slowing down. Canned a half dozen pints of pasta sauce, and had some acorn squash along with grilled zucchini for supper (along with a well-marinated New York Strip).
1631418270683.png

1631418341946.jpeg

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
:2 thumbs up::holding hands::green tea:

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
090921 006 - C.JPG

Bucket of green beans and like 10 pounds of tomatoes every 3-4 days, plus other random stuff.

090921 012 - C.JPG

A lot of peppers, a few taters, squash, carrots, eggplant, broccoli, kale, collards etc..

Good luck out there folks.

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
20210920_215412~2.jpg

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
been a while... not much here...

the cherries didn't give much anything...

the old small yellow plum tree was nice in early summer... no pics...

the young plum (was 3' tall 3 years ago when planted) dropped all of its fruit except one, which is ready to be picked - getting soft - looks like it'll be tasty...

IMG-20210923-WA0003.jpeg

the 3 year old grapes (finally taken out of pots and put in ground this spring)... some are producing

IMG-20210923-WA0008.jpeg

the tomatoes have been giving & giving for a couple months, and a couple more to go with some luck

IMG-20210923-WA0011.jpeg

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
And next to the trash cans, some birds must have crapped some zucchini seeds... this is the 3rd & last...

IMG-20210923-WA0015.jpeg

Hopefully the 5' tall 2-year-old fig tree will start giving fruit next year... from seeds of the one I had to cut down, up against the garage wall, with roots lifting the slab...
Also found growing next to the trash cans, where I'd stacked the cut branches (with fruit) before hauling to the dump... Fruit fell in the dirt, seeds started growing...

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
092521 009 - C.JPG

Still have tomatoes, peppers, and green beans ripping. Some other random stuff like broccoli, eggplant, brussel sprouts, and squash.

092521 005 - C.JPG

A couple racks of dehydrated tomatoes. Good luck out there folks.

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
20210928_131229~2.jpg

20210928_133219~2.jpg

20210928_131055~2.jpg

20210928_130917~2.jpg

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
20210930_010842~2.jpg

20210930_010902~2.jpg

20210930_010925~2.jpg

20210930_014226~2.jpg

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
20211008_135725_HDR~2.jpg

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
The garden is starting to wind down. Shorter days and cooler temps tell the tale of what is soon to come. Cucumbers and squash have slowed down to a halt; beans and corn are done. Lots of tomatoes still on the plants, but they are not ripening very fast. I was able to can another half dozen pints of pasta sauce today...
1633909122113.png

And while we didn't get a huge crop of apples from the apple tree, we did get quite a few. Enough for a batch of apple butter. Cooked it down overnight last night (and the place smelled damn good this morning) and canned 11 half pints today.
1633909236339.png

1633909252534.png

Somehow it didn't seem like a particularly successful garden this summer, but as it winds down we have a lot of food on the shelves and in the freezer. Life is good.

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
20211016_220234_HDR~2.jpg

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Anacortes_-_downspout_on_port_building_02-1200x790.jpg

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, it is about wound up for the year. Most of the garden has dried up but there are still a few plants producing. Raspberries, of all things, keep kicking out a few berries every day. Tomatoes are still green, and a lot of green tomatoes on the plants, but with the short, cool days they are not ripening. Picked another couple butternut squash and a couple pumpkins, but that appears to be the last of everything. As always, had a lot of good eating this summer. And was able to preserve quite a bit. Total tally is around 56 pints of pickles, around 30 pints of pasta sauce and 30 half pints of pizza sauce, a dozen half pints of apple butter, a lot of shredded zucchini and pureed pumpkin in the freezer, as well as many packages of beans and corn in the freezer...probably a couple dozen of each.

Some plants that we planted last spring, and were looking pretty sad this past spring, really took off. A long row each of sand cherries and elderberries look pretty good this fall. I would expect we will get berries from each next year.

1635717312091.png

1635717340161.png

Time to take a break then start thinking about next year...

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Got a stretch of heavy rains and storms. I had picked these the day after the biggest deluge, pruned the plants and have another crop coming weather permitting. One of the green pepper plants is FINALLY starting to produce a nice flush. Been getting one offs. This green pepper was huge though.

20211027_145110_HDR~3.jpg

Last edited:

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
i've got three jalapeno sprouts that have been transplanted into larger pots for a while, some spinach and squash that i'm sprouting...i'm putting down some cucumber seeds in two beds over the winter, and have three 'new' mid sized tomato plants, from sprouts, that won't produce for another month, i lost all three, from the summer, to white flys (i now spray with a soap solution after i've watered the leaves but with cooler weather, they don't seem to be around any longer...little bstrds)

strawberry plants are mid-sized but i put about a dozen more berry's into the ground, they'll be ready in a few months while the rest of my plants will all continue on until...until they die or i pull them out

i'm using my now-unused pot bed for more cucumbers, radishes are now sprouting again after planting some more seeds, radishes grow very fast

my overalls never really come off...i get no 'real' seasons

oh the misery

:summer:
sorry for a bit of gloat, yes, but just a bit

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I am winding down the garden here. Have had several frosts and many more in the forecast.

No complaints. I was pulling tomatoes and peppers through almost all of October which is unusual here. Still have fresh tomatoes, peppers, carrots, celery from the garden. When I run out of fresh I have many cans of peppers, some salsa and some pizza sauce and a very good supply of peppers in the freezer.

This was probably my best year for everything except onions which I got a late start on.

I have pulled all my irrigation and cleared about half of the garden. Going to try to get the rest cleared and mulched this week before winter sets in.

Last edited:

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
UH.... "EXCEPT ONIONS"... because I assume that you WOULD "ACCEPT" THEM if they'd grown...
- grammar/spelling cop...
Fixed. Thanks. Unlike some, I appreciate the correction. :beer:

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
...can i ask:

Potatoes, what's the real basic trick to growing potatoes?

i've read about 'mounds' and 'covering up the lower branches of the plant as it grows...

i've got 5 new sprouts, from eyes that were growing, now about 3" tall in containers

Can I simply put them into a prepared grow bed, water them and let the plants grow, literally do nothing more until they flower, let the plants die across about two weeks, then pull out the potatoes?
(that's as basic as i understand it, but then i got lost with this one guys video where he says: build mounds out of straw, i build them up to 18" tall...i've tried that 'style' twice and have produced bupkis)

two attempts later:
and i'm not getting any younger...

i have to ask:
what am i missing

or am i working it too hard?

:don't know:

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
...can i ask:

i've read about 'mounds' and 'covering up the lower branches of the plant as it grows...

i've got 5 new sprouts, from eyes that were growing, now about 3" tall in containers

Can I simply put them into a prepared grow bed, water them and let the plants grow, literally do nothing more until they flower, let the plants die across about two weeks, then pull out the potatoes?
(that's as basic as i understand it, but then i got lost with this one guys video where he says: build mounds out of straw, i build them up to 18" tall...i've tried that 'style' twice and have produced bupkis)

two attempts later:

i have to ask:
what am i missing

Next to the road, where I keep my garbage cans... Out of the blue, 3 squash/zucchini plants grew (one still blooming with 3 growing!) and a potato... I didn't "plant" any of them...

zucchini.jpg

Last edited:

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
...can i ask:

two attempts later:

i have to ask:
what am i missing

Not sure, but might be a good time for you to plant potatoes.
Idaho is known for them, So Cal. not so much.
They like cool.
Cut a potato in half or smaller just so you have an eye.
Stick it under dirt 4"
Keep soil moist.
Once plants get 6-12 inches tall, hoe up or pile on some dirt or mulch to keep sun off of the potatoes that might peak out of the dirt.
Green won't make you sick, but indicates that the stuff that can make you sick might be in there.
When plants die off after a few months, pick as needed.
I leave mine in the ground under a mulch pile of leaves over winter & pick as needed since no root cellar.

Last edited:

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Not sure, but might be a good time for you to plant potatoes.
Idaho is known for them, So Cal. not so much.
They like cool.
Cut a potato in half or smaller just so you have an eye.
Stick it under dirt 4"
Keep soil moist.
Once plants get 6-12 inches tall, hoe up or pile on some dirt or mulch to keep sun off of the potatoes that might peak out of the dirt.
Green won't make you sick, but indicates that the stuff that can make you sick might be in there.
When plants die off after a few months, pick as needed.
I leave mine under a mulch pile of leaves over winter & pick as needed since no root cellar.
Thank You...as much as i'm embarrassed, i'm happy that i can stop with all the other non-sense i was doing

Yep, my Monday just got a whole lot better

...it's the small things in life

:green tea:

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
...can i ask:

two attempts later:

i have to ask:
what am i missing

When the potatoes form underground, they often push up toward the surface and become exposed. They need to be kept buried; exposure to sun and air is not good for them. So you need to push dirt (often called "hilling") to keep the newly formed potatoes buried.

Growing potatoes in containers (barrels, tires) is a technique that can make this easier.

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
When the potatoes form underground, they often push up toward the surface and become exposed. They need to be kept buried; exposure to sun and air is not good for them. So you need to push dirt (often called "hilling") to keep the newly formed potatoes buried.

Growing potatoes in containers (barrels, tires) is a technique that can make this easier.
radishes do the same exact thing, that main root can push the veggie up out of the dirt

i'm anxious to grow enough potatoes to make a meal, i got literally nothing from that last batch...i just did enough wrong to keep them from producing

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
The view from the porch this morning. I think we're done for the year...

View attachment 230542

yep , we are done here too

left a little something for the birds to graze on

all that is left now is to till up the garden and look at seed catalogs for 2022

107387DD-D202-423F-AF46-1446938BF1EA.jpeg

A8F7BE1E-214B-44E0-BE73-CE8729FE7573.jpeg

3B064E6E-C881-4410-AEB8-8ABB74ED9DD0.jpeg

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
...maybe one day i'll get a few egg bearing chickens...