• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

What’s Cracking In The Garden 2022

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
B612_20220607_112306_636.jpg

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Yukon gold in there?
lol

my ignorance knows no bounds...

:summer:

idk...they're just potatoes to me, at least at this stage

just knowing i grew 'em is enough for me right now

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
lol

my ignorance knows no bounds...

:summer:

idk...they're just potatoes to me, at least at this stage

just knowing i grew 'em is enough for me right now
Yukon Gold is a large cultivar of potato most distinctly characterized by its thin, smooth, eye-free skin and yellow-tinged flesh. This potato was developed in the 1960s by Garnet ("Gary") Johnston[1][2] in Guelph, Ontario, Canada, with the help of Geoff Rowberry at the University of Guelph. The official cross bred strain was made in 1966 and 'Yukon Gold' was finally released into the market in 1980.[3]

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Yukon Gold is a large cultivar of potato most distinctly characterized by its thin, smooth, eye-free skin and yellow-tinged flesh. This potato was developed in the 1960s by Garnet ("Gary") Johnston[1][2] in Guelph, Ontario, Canada, with the help of Geoff Rowberry at the University of Guelph. The official cross bred strain was made in 1966 and 'Yukon Gold' was finally released into the market in 1980.[3]

i'm glad you posted this...people are on the rampage against science and seeds, but, there is so much science in even my little slice of the onion, it's incredible

so many people have their personal names attached to seeds and varieties, kinda makes me feel good

for a very long time, i thought they'd all be named monsanto by now...

here's to Good Science!

gnome

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
i'm glad you posted this...people are on the rampage against science and seeds, but, there is so much science in even my little slice of the onion, it's incredible

so many people have their personal names attached to seeds and varieties, kinda makes me feel good

for a very long time, i thought they'd all be named monsanto by now...

here's to Good Science!
The most widely grown potato in the world is the Russet Burbank (aka russet).
Developed by Luther Burbank, who is responsible for over 800 varieties of plants.
Absolute legend.

I just picked one of his Santa Rosa plums this morning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luther_Burbank

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 4.25.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 4.25.02 PM.png
    625.1 KB · Views: 3

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
We have a storm with a tornado and baseball sized hail headed for us, it ought to be interesting........hopefully not expensive. We will be gathering cattle tomorrow if it comes thru, they go nuts.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
We have a storm with a tornado and baseball sized hail headed for us, it ought to be interesting........hopefully not expensive. We will be gathering cattle tomorrow if it comes thru, they go nuts.
Here's hoping for smooth sailing :beer:

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
That was pretty action packed. It did everything but drop one. the sky sure was swirleeeeeeee.......lol

A little bit of marble sized hail, a heap of rain, and baseball sized chunks of hail every 30-40 ft.

That is about the thousandth time in my life it was looking really juicy, and then nothing happened.

There is another one behind it, if im still awake ill see how it goes.

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Ah yes.....second tornado warning of the night just came over the wifes smartphone.

Were all gonna die!

:funky:
we had a tornado warning here recently. Its not uncommon but this one got ugly. Its the one useful thing the local news provides. They can pinpoint the rotations exact location. We had one headed our way a few weeks ago. I made a split second decision to leave. I threw the cat in a pillow case and we went out in the storm and headed west away from the rotation. I had some limbs down when I came home. It went over but never touched down. Never argue with a tornado they usually win.

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
My poor pepper plants. I'm going to try some things to keep the guinea hens off them. Here are some pics of the upper and lower garden. This is my first summer retired so I actually have time to do gardening. Its off to a bit of a rough start. Between the birds and my tomatoes already getting spotted leaves its going to be a learning process.

3.jpg
IMG_4107.jpg
1.jpg
r.jpg

Attachments

• c.jpg
    c.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 4

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
My poor pepper plants. I'm going to try some things to keep the guinea hens off them. Here are some pics of the upper and lower garden. This is my first summer retired so I actually have time to do gardening. Its off to a bit of a rough start. Between the birds and my tomatoes already getting spotted leaves its going to be a learning process.

.View attachment 262990View attachment 262991View attachment 262992View attachment 262993
What variety of fig tree? Looks like your off to a great start. Nice sized garden too. I wouldn't worry to much, it's still real early in the season. Plenty of time to grow still. I don't even have some of my squash in yet. Butternut and Yellow are going in today. I also started my eggplant very late. At this rate it won't go in until July if I'm lucky. Every bit of food I don't have to pay for is a bonus now.

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
What variety of fig tree? Looks like your off to a great start. Nice sized garden too. I wouldn't worry to much, it's still real early in the season. Plenty of time to grow still. I don't even have some of my squash in yet. Butternut and Yellow are going in today. I also started my eggplant very late. At this rate it won't go in until July if I'm lucky. Every bit of food I don't have to pay for is a bonus now.
I'm not sure what kind of fig tree it is. A limb fell on it a few years ago and I thought it was dead. Then it sort of sprouted and expanded. I'm covering it with netting in about a week along with the grapes. The birds are just waiting..lol When is your first frost? Do you wait till after memorial day to plant.? Squash is hit or miss. We either get a ton of it or none depending on the bores.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
So it stormed all night. North of 3" of rain, hail etc. The both dry creeks are running, so im homebound. The wife will get some pics later ill post em. The creek is as full as ive ever seen it, flowing like a river, complete with that river sound. Will assess damage when the sun comes up. I am guessing this might have filled up 2 buttes lake.

Gnarly man......

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
No greenhouse damage, althouhg it looks like water did run thru it. Did I mention I dont have any plants out yet. Its like I have espn man..........

4 inches of mud on my front porch, the hill I live on got a bit shorter it seems. I can see some cows trapped on the other side of the creek, at least they have water.........

the storm that wacked us is about to hit amarillo tx, I hope they know how to swim.

:funky:

Last edited:

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I'm not sure what kind of fig tree it is. A limb fell on it a few years ago and I thought it was dead. Then it sort of sprouted and expanded. I'm covering it with netting in about a week along with the grapes. The birds are just waiting..lol When is your first frost? Do you wait till after memorial day to plant.? Squash is hit or miss. We either get a ton of it or none depending on the bores.
A lot of figs are pretty resilient. I have 2 in ground varieties that die back every winter and send out new shoots in the spring.

My last frost is May 15th and 1st is Oct 15th. I do wait untilJune for peppers and tomatoes to go in ground. Just to cold before then. This year has been colder and wetter than normal so the only thing really taking off is the grass and weeds.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
we survived all the wicked weather , all we got was some pea sized hail , rain , and gusts of wind

77 today and 101 by Sunday…wtf!

from the front porch this morning

the only thing normal out here is that the sun does come up each day

DD55BE1D-C73A-4334-84D4-C1C915CB2C79.jpeg

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Getting hammered by severe tstorms right now myself.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I took a look around, nothing destroyed that I can see here.........various rain gauges around the place, 3.25 to 3.4".

My uncle called and said a couple of our center pivots an hour s of us blew over in the storm. That is gonna leave a mark on the pocketbook.

Homebound, the creeks are rolling. We cant get out, low water crossings in all directions.

I have plenty of beer and a couple bottles of sippin whiskey in case I get bored (unlikely), so all is well.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Happy to hear you guys survived the storm with what sounds like minimal damage.
I know you been complaining about the lack of rain, well, there ya go. :).

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
I know you been complaining about the lack of rain, well, there ya go. :).
Yep. Be careful what you wish for. Just under an inch of rain on Monday night (about a half inch of which came in a 20 minute period Monday evening). Another inch last night. A break in the weather for us today, but t-storms back in the forecast mix tomorrow.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I think we can handle a bit more, we are in the darkest red right in the se corner of colorado.

We really dodged the bullet here. neighbor 3 miles n of us had baseball sized hail, roof, cars totaled. Wheat totaled. I am glad my crops are still in the ghouse waiting to be planted. been busy and havent gotten em out, I dont get in a hurry. I just moisture probed the garden and shoved the rod a full 6 ft. Friday looks like plants out day to me. Too muddy to do it tomorrow.

You gotta put em out sometime, they are mucking up my specialty cropping (under cover) space.

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
I think we can handle a bit more, we are in the darkest red right in the se corner of colorado.
Right between the D1 and D2 areas in south central Nebraska. That map is dated the 2nd; we may be clawing our way out of the drought designation. We could handle more as well, just not all at once.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I tied foil to my pepper plants. Lets see if that discourages the guineas.

285668780_968621763816650_3953032069029666254_n.jpg

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I tied foil to my pepper plants. Lets see if that discourages the guineas.

View attachment 263108
i noticed yesterday, my radish plants are nearly bare of all seed pods, that made zero sense and i looked closer and began to see some of the pods have been left, attached, but they'd been eaten from

it seems a few local birds have decided the radish pods make for some good eating

i have bags of pods from last season where I didn't have this issue at all

your rows make my boxes look like childs play...i am humbled by a lot of you folks here

and for that: Thank You

:green tea:

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
did you get a goat ?
As you know, my hands are already full with needy dependent types ... Maybe I should trade him for a goat though!?:secret:

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I just learned about the double leader method of pruning cherry tomatoes. I think I will be giving it a try this year.

With the medium and large indeterminate tomatoes I do the stake and prune method. Remove the suckers and stake the main stem. Remove lower leaves over time. I wondered about trying the same for cherry tomatoes.

I stumbled across a video today about the double leader method for cherry tomatoes where you leave one sucker early on but prune all the other suckers.

Edit: 8:34 in the video.

Last edited:

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I just learned about the double leader method of pruning cherry tomatoes. I think I will be giving it a try this year.

With the medium and large indeterminate tomatoes I do the stake and prune method. Remove the suckers and stake the main stem. Remove lower leaves over time. I wondered about trying the same for cherry tomatoes.

I stumbled across a video today about the double leader method for cherry tomatoes where you leave one sucker early on but prune all the other suckers.

Edit: 8:34 in the video.
That's almost exactly what I did last year with mine but didn't know it had a name. That's just the way I learned to do it I guess.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
That's almost exactly what I did last year with mine but didn't know it had a name. That's just the way I learned to do it I guess.
I had the idea of just letting one sucker go exactly as explained and as a result when I was out getting all the cherry tomatoes that are ready into that configuration that one I did that to happened to be as the instructions go. I happened to keep the sucker just one down from the first main flower stem.

All my cherry tomatoes that were ready are in this double leader configuration now.