• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

What’s Cracking In The Garden 2022

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I am late to the party.

Planted peas, carrot and lettuce seeds today. Suddenly realized soil is workable and we have days of rain ahead. Seemed like the perfect time. Prepped a couple beds and nature willing I get to see some new plants soon.

gnome

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Burgundy Plum grafted onto some sort of volunteer plum or pluot seedling. Bud break.

20220318_183142.jpg

gnome

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Volunteer collard army as tall as me and ready to seed replacements.
Volunteer chard hasn't been decimated by rabbits so far this year.

Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 7.44.53 PM.png

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I picked up some bundles of onion plants and seed potatoes in Ks yesterday. My rototiller finally gave up the ghost, it looks like ill use a shovel this year. So goes life. I talked to a guy about buying a new tiller, he told me 6 months out. Fook it then..........

:don't know:

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I picked up some bundles of onion plants and seed potatoes in Ks yesterday. My rototiller finally gave up the ghost, it looks like ill use a shovel this year. So goes life. I talked to a guy about buying a new tiller, he told me 6 months out. Fook it then..........

:don't know:
What broke on it? Symptoms?
Make/model?

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
its a husqvarna reverse tine, rear tine tiller, self propelled. the carb is toast, cant get the jets clean even after soaking a couple of days. Rust in the cylinders also No new carb can be found. They havent given up finding one, but its not looking good. I do not mess with small engines, they drive me insane, I hire it done. Another option is to buy a new motor and put it on the unit. Its on its second motor now, wore the first one out.

In the mean time, potatoes and onions need to go in, so were gonna kick it old school. I really dont mind digging if I have some weed, which I always do.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
^^^^^^

we drove some 10’ foot 1/2” rebar in the ground and train them indeterminate’s by heavy suckering , we try to have only 2 or 3 leaders and then just vine clip them to the rebar

you can see the rebar behind this c99……I had to get a 8’ foot step ladder to get the last ones

View attachment 249669
What strain? She's a hefty beauty. Final yield?

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
The mother was last year's runt that I kept inside last summer and this winter

Screenshot_2022-03-30-14-02-23-922.jpg

Screenshot_2022-03-30-14-02-39-550.jpg

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
looking god fellers. Im right the w you spinal cracker, sowing tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, and cannabis seed over the next few days. In a few weeks ill go sow a large amount of petite marigolds, several flats to putout a few weeks after the aformentioned go in the ground, everything else will be direct sow. I got some groovy open pollinated dryland field corn called 'nebraska' from sandhill preservation center, and an open pollinated white milo, im hoping to start making more of my own field seed for the farm.

Potatoes and onions, shallots go in next week, im not standing out in this wind, id blow over. I just got done taking clones for lite dep, so im taking the day off.

I like the look of those green trays, they look heavy duty.

Good job newmisty, you rooted a clone.

:2 thumbs up:

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

gnome

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
So far looks like I've had good success with my cuttings and grafts this year.

Spice Zee Nectaplum on seedling nectarine
Lapins Cherry on seedling plum or pluot
Burgundy Plum on seedling plum or pluot
Loquat - unknown
Fuji apple on apple seedling
Pakistan mulberry on seedling
Red Baron peach on nectarine seedling
Babcok peach looks iffy

Still waiting on flavor grenade pluot, arctic star nectarine and snow queen nectarine which I grafted later than the others.

Avocado grafts have not done well. A bunch clearly died and turned black. A couple look like they might be growing.
Maybe I did it too early before trees were pushing out new growth. I'll have to get some more budwood and try again in April and May.

Been sampling as many varieties of citrus as possible. Gonna order some budwood from the Citrus Clonal Protection Program at Riverside.

One thing I've learned is that nectarines have almost no transplant shock. Apples pretty easy, too.
Pomegranates seem to hate being transplanted - almost lost two trees last summer.

Last edited:

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
@gnome.….what kind of grafting techniques do you use?

we need to graft some very old apple trees of Luther Burbank seed lines …we may hire it done but it does not look to difficult from the video we watched

so yeah , tomatoes and jalapeños are up and a tray of flowers

medicine plants are healthy and mostly robust , there are a few laggers

just going to wait until about mid May to transplant outdoors to avoid any late frost

hell , the last weather report calls for some snow showers this week….

Cooper I’m about there with you , Oklahoma is looking good , maybe Washington

0C43343F-183B-478D-9ADA-B5F62261639C.jpeg

1E4CA3C2-597C-4827-B484-0B012CEFB121.jpeg

here are those trays with high domes by FloraFlex…super heavy duty

0FE68CED-14AE-41C7-83EB-0AD5EE11BCC3.jpeg

the Molokai Frost have early vigor , the two bigger plants here

CB44CFF8-D5C4-486B-90F2-FE135F01AD0E.jpeg

gnome

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
@gnome.….what kind of grafting techniques do you use?
I've done almost exclusively whip grafts. Super easy. You can learn it on youtube.
Bud grafting I haven't had as much success with.

Switching the variety on an old apple tree you probably want to make some bigger cuts and cleft graft, which I've never done.
Actually, just aggressively pruning the tree itself. (really hack it back) might get it producing more and better apples.

Do you know the varieties you have?

Also, don't underestimate the power of throwing apple seeds in a nursery pot and grafting them after their first winter. Free half dozen trees from every apple you eat.

gnome

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Notice red leaves (Spice Zee NectaPlum) above and below. Green leaves and fruit in the middle of the branch (original nectarine seedling).

20220409_181225.jpg

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I've done almost exclusively whip grafts. Super easy. You can learn it on youtube.
Bud grafting I haven't had as much success with.

Switching the variety on an old apple tree you probably want to make some bigger cuts and cleft graft, which I've never done.
Actually, just aggressively pruning the tree itself. (really hack it back) might get it producing more and better apples.

Do you know the varieties you have?

Also, don't underestimate the power of throwing apple seeds in a nursery pot and grafting them after their first winter. Free half dozen trees from every apple you eat.

thanks for the reply on grafting

girlfriend says gravenstiens , king , and winter banana apple trees

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Got a shipment of 5 honeyberry trees this weekend. Put em in some pots to wake up while I clear out an area for my orchard.
My hazelnut trees from last year have all woken up and doing great, have another 3 on their way.

gnome

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
thanks for the reply on grafting

girlfriend says gravenstiens , king , and winter banana apple trees
Maybe worth keeping a branch or two of each of the older varieties, especially the banana apple as a pollenizer.

It's hard to argue that apples haven't improved over the years, though there are some older gems out there. Fuji is nearly 100 years old and still stands out.

I'd aim for at least one early-ripening variety and one late ripening variety that is good for storing. Gravenstein is early-mid and king mid-late.

Got a shipment of 5 honeyberry trees this weekend. Put em in some pots to wake up while I clear out an area for my orchard.
My hazelnut trees from last year have all woken up and doing great, have another 3 on their way.

Had to look up honeyberry!
Where are you getting hazels from?

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Had to look up honeyberry!
yeah, a healthy fruit tree that loves cold weather. I tried some last year that I picked up at a farmers market and liked em enough to plant some.

Where are you getting hazels from?
Same place I got them from last year. It looks like they are sold out of most of them for now.
Note: you need multiple varieties as they need cross pollination to fruit.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Was gifted a bare root frost peach tree the other day. It got shipped with some old damage on one of the two main branches so there's another being sent as replacement so will end up getting 2 for 1.

Carving out a permanent spot on the "ranch" is the tough part..

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I personally wait til at least 20th of may, june 1 is ok too. I am not a risk taker.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Just got word of possible 3" hail hitting the area. I also think that it's best practice to avoid this bi-polar time of year.

gnome

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Was gifted a bare root frost peach tree the other day. It got shipped with some old damage on one of the two main branches so there's another being sent as replacement so will end up getting 2 for 1.

Carving out a permanent spot on the "ranch" is the tough part..
Trees are pretty remarkable in their ability to heal...but if there is an open wound with the inner wood exposed, you want to find a way to seal it up or prune it off. Exposed wood is an entry point for disease and nasty pests like BORERS.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Trees are pretty remarkable in their ability to heal...but if there is an open wound with the inner wood exposed, you want to find a way to seal it up or prune it off. Exposed wood is an entry point for disease and nasty pests like BORERS.
Thanks Gnome, it is looking like it. The person who gifted it to me suggested using candle wax to seal it and tie it with a cloth or similar..

20220411_225139.jpg

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Im germinating seed on a 10 x 20 heat mat this yr. I have 20 x 20 and 20 x 40 mats too, but im just kind of flowing thru the seed, as opposed to babysitting them all at once.

The first round is germed and out of the dome, tomatoes, 4 kinds of peppers, and cannabis. I just washed 6 packs for round 2, will be eggplant, cherry tomatoes, cannabis, various herbs and flowers. The first round ill uppot first of the week, and start setting out in the coldframe during the day, then indoors under t5's at night.. It ought to be enjoyable to do them in groups, instead of all at once like I usually do. Why force it to go, when you can just go along for the ride.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
no legacy here Amigo , just a lot of memories

I got to pour and finish floors on this 77 story building in Tulsa

I rode a swinging scaffold to rub and patch those white walls on that building and I made it up to the 42nd floor before I drug up on that job

a gust of wind blew me and another worker about 15’ feet away from the wall and banged us up against it a few times before we jumped off

View attachment 248706
From how high!? That building is creepy, what is it?

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
From how high!? That building is creepy, what is it?

that was a hospital in south Tulsa owned and built by Oral Roberts University

we were up to the 42 nd floor when I drug up and went to another safer job

riding a swinging scaffold that high up with 20-40 mph winds was not my cup of tea

plants are chugging along

AA11B407-0C64-4AD9-9F5E-1CB51E25C972.jpeg

89BC1C4C-578F-4AEF-9280-7913E9BF31FB.jpeg

2B98A952-462E-45ED-91D5-1BD08605F8C3.jpeg

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Ive had that happen before. I put duct tape sticky side up on the table in front of the plants. When the cat got the tape stuck to its feet and fell off the table it was like a bomb went off...........The cat never went in that room again.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Ive had that happen before. I put duct tape sticky side up on the table in front of the plants. When the cat got the tape stuck to its feet and fell off the table it was like a bomb went off...........The cat never went in that room again.
We got some shock mats last year to put around the christmas tree to keep the cat and dogs away. Worked out perfectly, used it subsequently to train the cat and dogs to stay off the nice/guest couches and windowsill. They learned quite quickly -- took the cat once, the dogs not much more.

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Happy Spring everyone. In the Upper Midwest it's been pretty damn cold and wet, so not much garden stuff happening here. Planted some spinach and lettuce seeds, and the fall garlic is popping up. Prepping soil between snow/rain, but otherwise in a holding pattern overall until it gets a bit warmer and stops snowing/raining to install the next wave of Spring stuff.

We have 2 shelter cat adoptions as well.

APR 2022 000 - C.JPG

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
We got some shock mats last year to put around the christmas tree to keep the cat and dogs away. Worked out perfectly, used it subsequently to train the cat and dogs to stay off the nice/guest couches and windowsill. They learned quite quickly -- took the cat once, the dogs not much more.
Haven't seen those before. Could you provide a link to your brand?

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Need something like this for the bears sniffing around the chicken coop
If you do that, put up a camera, that would be video worth seeing.

Last edited:

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
My lilacs are in bloom. My favorite aroma.