• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

What’s Cracking In The Garden 2022

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
View attachment 261068I Never got around to planting garlic in the fall but had a few leftovers I guess. I'll use them for seed this year. Might let a few scapes survive and grow from those as well and might even let a few go to seed and start some garlic seeds next year as well.
A few tomatoes in that bed as well and have 5 more going in tonight.View attachment 261069All those bushes out there with the white flowers are wild blackberries. Excellent berries and this year my property is loaded with them. I'll get a couple friends out here next month picking like crazy. Plenty for us and the birds. One of my cats out in the tall grass just looking for some meat.View attachment 261070Lemongrass and Orange Thyme. 30 gallon container which is way overkill. When my daughter was here last week she planted a bunch of herbs. Basil, 2 types of thyme, sage, parsley, rosemary, A few others as well but forget off the top of my head.
Quaint little hillside.

One of your first pictures of those canvas bags or canvas totes? Are they for planting or just toting?

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I have to do some work on that Lilac this year. it's really taking over. Going to try and propagate it as well as dig up some shoots and replant them. Goal is like 1/4 acre of lilacs.
1st year in a very long time I have had a cool enough spring to actually grow lettuce.
Tomatoes, peppers, squash are going in in the morning. Shitloads of herbs are starting to pop up now.
Farmer I used to know 40 years ago would cut them down to about 2" off the ground. I thought he killed them until they came back 10 ft tall!

I envy you folks what have black dirt. Nothing but clay out west and the crap they sell in the big box stores as garden soil is a lot of wood chips.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Farmer I used to know 40 years ago would cut them down to about 2" off the ground. I thought he killed them until they came back 10 ft tall!

I envy you folks what have black dirt. Nothing but clay out west and the crap they sell in the big box stores as garden soil is a lot of wood chips.

try this or some Sunshine #4

one does have to add nutrients when using this as a grow medium

C3A0EBB3-7173-4A59-8EC2-8013B5F78882.jpeg

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
try this or some Sunshine #4

one does have to add nutrients when using this as a grow medium

View attachment 261072
Judging from the name I presume it as mushroom mycelium... Looks expensive and hard to get. For the past 3 years I've had a hard time finding peat moss and anything but those tiny little bags.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Judging from the name I presume it as mushroom mycelium... Looks expensive and hard to get. For the past 3 years I've had a hard time finding peat moss and anything but those tiny little bags.

nah

$42 bucks and can be found in the big box stores or nurseries across America

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score

My place is all clay as well. Cover it with wood chips and add organic matter. Takes time but the clay will soften and in a year or two you can build some pretty good soil.
I do chop and drop to. So anything growing that I don't want to grow gets chopped on ;aid on the soil. Keeps the soil moist and the worms breakdown everything anyway.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Nothing to brag about, but the first harvest of 2022 is "on the board" with enough spinach for 2. Plenty more spinach and salad forthcoming, then radishes. Otherwise, the entire garden is planted. We have a small amount of everything that we have had success with...herbs, garlic, onions, beets, collard, tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, squash, etc. Everything we grow is non-GMO and heirloom. Past success and diversity seems to be the key...as you never know what cards Mother Nature deals you weather-wise. Good luck out there folks.

Spinach - C.JPG

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
rain on and off last night so no watering the garden today , only pulling weeds

wind blew for two days after transplanting , 20-40 mph , plants did not like it but did ok…..I can’t wait until summer and 99 degrees and 30mph winds all day….oh joy

0A2C54DA-062E-4D0F-8937-698DF91045C6.jpeg

tomatoes are in , Black Krims , Cherokee Pirps , and 3 different cherry tomatoes , about 24 plants

E6CF6010-468C-4887-A07B-36EA7000B8A0.jpeg

and this,plot has corn , turnips , carrots , beets , and Swiss chard

A9437391-E918-4228-A154-6C826E1FFA3F.jpeg

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Garden is coming along here. Been putting in a lot of time on it especially on early weed control.

All my plants are in unless I pick up more.

39 pepper plants made it through a few storms already and still seem happy. Gave the pepper plants a foliar spray of epsom salt and calcium tonight. I try to do so every month or so. 2 tablespoons epsom salt, 1 750mg crushed antacid tablet per gallon of water

Cucumbers are sprouting.

Been eating loads of lettuce and chives.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Garden is coming along here. Been putting in a lot of time on it especially on early weed control.

All my plants are in unless I pick up more.

39 pepper plants made it through a few storms already and still seem happy. Gave the pepper plants a foliar spray of epsom salt and calcium tonight. I try to do so every month or so. 2 tablespoons epsom salt, 1 750mg crushed antacid tablet per gallon of water

Cucumbers are sprouting.

Been eating loads of lettuce and chives.

You can dug a big planting hole and throw 2 tums in there, then plant above em in the backfill. I do as such, and add other things as well.

peppers are funny, biggest I ever saw was scotch bonneys in jamaica, 3 yo, so big was like wtf is that, it was 6 ft tall.

peppers are tender perrenials, in the tropics they can live 4 yrs, we think of them as annuals.

My buddy in jam, prune the plant in half, topdress w chicken shit, and other season in the books. It always rains there, not like where i live. They dont even irrigate. it rains soon enough.

wtf man?

:don't know:

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
You can dug a big planting hole and throw 2 tums in there, then plant above em in the backfill. I do as such, and add other things as well.

peppers are funny, biggest I ever saw was scotch bonneys in jamaica, 3 yo, so big was like wtf is that, it was 6 ft tall.

peppers are tender perrenials, in the tropics they can live 4 yrs, we think of them as annuals.

My buddy in jam, prune the plant in half, topdress w chicken shit, and other season in the books. It always rains there, not like where i live. They dont even irrigate. it rains soon enough.

wtf man?

Peppers are an odd one for sure. They don't like too much sun. They don't like too much water. They like drainage and loose soil. They like odd amenities. If you get it right they do great.

I haven't tried to over winter a pepper plant. It would be iffy here. Snow likes to pack down the soil.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
20220602_170744[1].jpg

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Update time. Pics with iPhone, so might be a bit hard to see. Peas looking good...
1654306631937.png

As are the beans...
1654306690039.png

Raspberries are looking great...
1654306799565.jpeg

Sand cherries are loaded...
1654306847561.png

Tomatoes and squash plants all looking good. Cucumbers and corn a little weak at this point, but coming along.
Mulberry trees are loaded, and the elderberry bushes are starting to show signs of blooming...

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
The garden today.

Got my irrigation in last night
Garden-2022-06-04-Img_9098SS.jpg

Cucumbers
Garden-2022-06-04-Img_9101SS.jpg

Potato plants are growing really fast
Garden-2022-06-04-Img_9102SS.jpg

Snow peas are off to a slow start. Usually they really pick up the pace once they get to about this size
Garden-2022-06-04-Img_9103SS.jpg

Great year for lettuce. Lettuce and carrots here.
Garden-2022-06-04-Img_9104SS.jpg

Marigolds, thyme, tarragon, celery, cilantro, sage, tomato
Garden-2022-06-04-Img_9105SS.jpg

Pepper bed
Garden-2022-06-04-Img_9106SS.jpg

In ground pepper bed
Garden-2022-06-04-Img_9108SS.jpg

Onions
Garden-2022-06-04-Img_9109SS.jpg

Flower garden. Bee balm, echinacea, milkweed, chives, mullein and some sunflowers just starting to pop up
Garden-2022-06-04-Img_9112SS.jpg

Echinacea
Garden-2022-06-04-Img_9113SS.jpg

Calibrachoa (million bells) are my temporary hummingbird feeder while I wait for the bee balm to bloom. Though they seem to like the chive flowers just as much.
Garden-2022-06-04-Img_9115SS.jpg

Good luck everyone.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
The garden today.

Got my irrigation in last night
View attachment 262408

Cucumbers
View attachment 262409

Potato plants are growing really fast
View attachment 262410

Snow peas are off to a slow start. Usually they really pick up the pace once they get to about this size
View attachment 262412

Great year for lettuce. Lettuce and carrots here.
View attachment 262415

Marigolds, thyme, tarragon, celery, cilantro, sage, tomato
View attachment 262417

Pepper bed
View attachment 262419

In ground pepper bed
View attachment 262420

Onions
View attachment 262421

Flower garden. Bee balm, echinacea, milkweed, chives, mullein and some sunflowers just starting to pop up
View attachment 262424

Echinacea
View attachment 262427

Calibrachoa (million bells) are my temporary hummingbird feeder while I wait for the bee balm to bloom. Though they seem to like the chive flowers just as much.
View attachment 262428

Good luck everyone.
That lettuce box looks picture perfect.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Looking good, soaker hose fror the win! That pepper patch will be a wall of peppers when they get big w that planting spacing.

Looking good!
Thanks. I seem to have good luck growing them densely like that. I have full sun so they can shade each other a bit.

That lettuce box looks picture perfect.
Thanks. It has been a good year for lettuce because it has been colder than usual for this time of year. Lettuce gets bitter when the weather gets hot. It has been tasting great and I don't see anything above 72 in the long range forecast so they should get really big and still be tastey.

Funny fact. My cat loves lettuce. Any time I harvest it I have to break some up and give it to her or she won't stop asking for it.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Pretty darned unusual for a cat.
Years ago I had another cat that invaded our taco bar. She went for the olives. Another time she invaded a meal she went for the corn. For all the things she could have had. If someone some day figures out cat behavior they are on another level.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Years ago I had another cat that invaded our taco bar. She went for the olives. Another time she invaded a meal she went for the corn. For all the things she could have had. If someone some day figures out cat behavior they are on another level.
100%

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Has anyone used aspirin on their tomatoes ? My understanding is all nightshades can benefit. I get yearly blight and I am doing a lot of different things to avoid it this year. I am pruning my tomatoes to give them more air and keep leaves off the ground, we also installed a drip hose. I am reading lots of good things about early spraying with aspirin to stay ahead of disease. Anyone tired it?

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Update time. Pics with iPhone, so might be a bit hard to see. Peas looking good...
View attachment 262333
As are the beans...
View attachment 262334
Raspberries are looking great...
View attachment 262335
Sand cherries are loaded...
View attachment 262336

Tomatoes and squash plants all looking good. Cucumbers and corn a little weak at this point, but coming along.
Mulberry trees are loaded, and the elderberry bushes are starting to show signs of blooming...

your soil looks like mine

there is actually chard , beets , turnips , and carrots in there lol

F9444233-522C-44AA-A934-1A09E36D3214.jpeg

E17F6E6C-C18C-4FAA-95C4-E0DE75F4BEB1.jpeg

my medicine plants have taken a beating the last week..cold weather 30’s , hot weather 90’s , wind 30-40 mph ALL DAY LONG…….it is a miracle if anything survives out here

FC8B22BA-BB76-49E3-8E01-8B900C669A7D.jpeg

supposed to look like this

19603F44-C89D-4806-8DD6-33DCF5146BFF.jpeg

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Mine usually look like that too when I put em out. I have no town for windblock or fence, they take a real beating. There is not much you can do about it except supplement cal mag and silica. They will start growing and look great soon.

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
your soil looks like mine
It's really sandy. Doesn't hold water/moisture for shit. We're trying to build it up, adding compost every winter/spring. I planted a cover crop of winter wheat over it last fall, and tilled it in this spring. Might try a more robust cover crop this fall...clover, or a cover crop mix with clover and turnips or sugar beets...something subsurface. See if we can build up the soil a bit. A little at a time, maybe can slowly improve this over the years.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Last week I was working around the house and at one point in the afternoon stepped out of the front door and looked down and there was a pleasant surprise left for me under a small rock on the stairs.

Screenshot_20220605-160750_Gallery.jpg

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Has anyone used aspirin on their tomatoes ? My understanding is all nightshades can benefit. I get yearly blight and I am doing a lot of different things to avoid it this year. I am pruning my tomatoes to give them more air and keep leaves off the ground, we also installed a drip hose. I am reading lots of good things about early spraying with aspirin to stay ahead of disease. Anyone tired it?
Only after I water them with Tequilla. :sick 2::laughing::laughing:
Just kidding of course. never heard of giving them aspirin.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
It's really sandy. Doesn't hold water/moisture for shit. We're trying to build it up, adding compost every winter/spring. I planted a cover crop of winter wheat over it last fall, and tilled it in this spring. Might try a more robust cover crop this fall...clover, or a cover crop mix with clover and turnips or sugar beets...something subsurface. See if we can build up the soil a bit. A little at a time, maybe can slowly improve this over the years.

we must be neighbors cause my soil sounds about the same as yours and we have been amending it for about 10 yrs now , off and on

that was gonna be my choice of a cover crop this fall , wheat

ive heard soybeans make a good cover crop , nitrogen nodules on the roots tilled in give the spring crop a shot of nitrogen

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
we must be neighbors cause my soil sounds about the same as yours and we have been amending it for about 10 yrs now , off and on

that was gonna be my choice of a cover crop this fall , wheat

ive heard soybeans make a good cover crop , nitrogen nodules on the roots tilled in give the spring crop a shot of nitrogen
Winter rye was my friends go to.

gnome

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

Woodchips are magic after a couple of years. Kind of a scam though for to pass it off as garden soil.

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Woodchips are magic after a couple of years. Kind of a scam though for to pass it off as garden soil.
i 'scrape' the chips off of the top after the first several waterings in the bed, before i plant anything...

before i plant in a bed, i 'mature' the bed before i plant, it gets watered a few days before i put anything into it

those chips 'float' to the top, and you can run the side of your hand along the top of the bed, using a tool, with care, will achieve the same results, and gather those 'extra chips' up and take them away

took me a couple of seasons to see what was happening...the chips stay at the top, the dirt filters down a bit, scrape those wood chunks off and toss them at the bottom of another bed or your mulch pit will gladly 'eat' them

i have a base of dg but need to fluff it up because it'll pack down nicely, plants will grow in it, but they grow better with a bit of aeration in the dirt and that kellogs top soil and off-brand potting mix from the store works well for me...i mainly grow in above ground boxes, and they're mostly filled with that store stuff...

wood chips and too much sand in my mix...both were a problem for me, in the beginning

nice pics everyone!

i'll take some and share...

my cucumbers are about 12" long, lots of green onion seeds and radish seeds growing now (as in maturing now), a new bed of celery, second box of potatoes and damn aphids on two tomato plants, but i now have 5, maybe 6 of them, first successful grow of jalapenos...bitch to grow, i agree, very fussy in ways i can't figure out, green been plants that were supposed to be 'bush beans' that are finicky also...

i'm very blessed, my second year and i'm playing with stuff i never imagined...quantity and sustainability are what my goals are now, quality will come along as i gain more experience but the strawberrys are awesome

and i want to avoid as much as is practical buying fertilizer...there's much learning in my future but pics will come

good thread!

:summer:

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

wtf man?

I was reading about the debate of topping pepper plants. The smaller ones like banana and jalapeno seem to do well topped. The larger peppers don't seem to like it as well unless you have a very long growing season like Jamaica. I'm experimenting. I topped a few to compare.