• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

What Book Are You Reading Now?

Montecristo

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/New-Thinking-Fans-Guide-Baseball/dp/0671732056

The New Thinking Fan's Guide to Baseball- Leonard Koppett

First published in 1967 and then updated in 1991 it is somewhat dated in the sense that the examples and stories related in the text are of older players. Lot's of Casey Stengal, Yogi Berra, Mays, Koufax stories, but the thoughts and ideas are still valid to todays game.

Another slight drawback is there was a tremendous leap in available stats becoming more mainstream during the late 90's and continuing on thru today.

this book by New York Times national edition columnist Koppett delivers what its title promises: a challenging, thoughtful discourse on a sport that, for the true fan, cannot be overanalyzed. Drawing on his decades of baseball reporting (since the days the Dodgers and Giants called New York home) and countless interviews with players, managers and others, the author addresses all facets of the game--from elements of play on the field to "behind the scenes" subjects, including, significantly, lawyers and agents. Often, the less obvious topics are most compelling, such as the chapter on signs and his argument that managers "who have great effect on any given game are the exceptional ones."p. 113 In a typical fascinating observation, he points out that the average playing field has 90,000 square feet of fair territory. Throughout Koppett provides historical perspective and shows that the "changeless" game has always changed and continues to change. Reading this is the fan's equivalent of players' spring training.

Merkin

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Here's an interesting question. A young woman that I work with is from the Ukraine. She just pasted her test to become a citizen. What first book would be best for her to read? Please, nothing way out there.

Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Montecristo

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
"Currency Wars" by James Rickards

I just started this and is well worth the read :biggrin:

I just bought this book. It should be here this week. I can't wait to start it!

In the meantime, I'm re-reading Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People".

I know it's Christmas, and my patience are usually rather thin to start with, but this year I've run across so many complete idiots that I need a refresher course on how to be nice to people.

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Wow, when I started this thread months ago, I never thought it would get this amount of milage, but GIM'ers have responded with many great suggestions!

A couple recent ones for myself that I would like to add to the discussion:

1. "Founding Brothers" by Joseph J. Ellis. A national best seller and winner of the Pulitzer prize. I haven't gotten very far as it's slow reading for right-brain people like me, but it's essentailly a comparison of Jeffersonian versus Hamiltonian philosophies of the founding fathers.

2. "Cul-De-Sac Syndrome" by John F. Wasik. GIM'ers will also appreciate this one as it deals with easy credit and debt and the false economics of the housing boom. The ensuing housing bust with suggestions for a better-designed and sustainable urban society are also discussed. Enjoy.

Mantokir

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Now on "Good Calories, Bad Calories".. along the lines of the Paleo Solution....

It's kinda dry to start, lots of science talk, but if you can get past that. It's actually quite interesting, opened me up on how the human body functions.

sharkman

Cobra Commander
Seeker
Reaction score
I am reading The Source Field Investigations: The Hidden Science and Lost Civilizations Behind the 2012 Prophecies by David Wilcock.

sourcefield_cover_shadow.jpg

AgAuGal

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
Currency Wars - Rickards

RichG

GIM Radio Host
Platinum Bling
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Best camping book ever ....

61Bi5mObyvL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,.jpg

Argentium

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Dear Wife got me a Kindle Fire for Christmas, so I've been doing more reading than usual. Finished re-reading The Forever War by Joe Haldeman and will be starting re-reading The Penultimate Truth by Phillip K. Dick.

sharkman

Cobra Commander
Seeker
Reaction score
I just pre-ordered David Icke's latest book "Remember Who You Are"

[video=youtube_share;IezMZB1iixw]http://youtu.be/IezMZB1iixw[/video]

gringott

"Internet Moofluencer"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
It's a long story, but my dentist has caused me to start re-reading Starship Troopers, and my son is also re-reading it - a couple thousand miles away.

javierruizleon

Seeker
Seeker
Reaction score
Petrus Romanus By Thomas Horn and Cris Putnam

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Steve Jobs ~ just finished... really interesting...

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Coopersmith talked me into "The Covenant" by James A. Michener. Thank you, Jason. It will be another great read.

Gold Rush

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Haunted Indianapolis.......probably not on alot of people's reading lists..but one of my hobbies...some friends and I get together and go out and do paranormal investigations around the state for fun and to see what we can find:afraid: :36_2_36:

Attachments

• 51ueoM3-CrL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51ueoM3-CrL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 284

Malus

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Fingerprints of the Gods by Graham Hancock.......

phideaux

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Reaction score

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I've gone through a couple of books a week for most of my life, sometime fiction and sometimes not. Read something way off my beaten path recently but pretty cool, "Sandman", a graphic novel series by Neil Gaiman.

PhucilliJerry

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Beekeeper's Handbook

My bees should be ready in the next 2 weeks.

Malus

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Great book. Hancock is brilliant, one of my favorites.

Yay. Between Hancock, Sitchen, Wilcock and a score of others, I'm starting to wonder more about our place in the universe and where its all headed, then worry about the petty antics of these lowlife bankers. Something is being hidden from us..........

phideaux

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Yay. Between Hancock, Sitchen, Wilcock and a score of others, I'm starting to wonder more about our place in the universe and where its all headed, then worry about the petty antics of these lowlife bankers. Something is being hidden from us..........

Before we can know where we are headed, we need to know where we came from.

Conventional ancient history is pure political BS.

This book blew me away. If you look up "meticulous researcher" in the dictionary, there is a photo of Robert Temple

713SQCQMDHL._SS500_.gif

The Sirius Mystery: New Scientific Evidence of Alien Contact 5,000 Years Ago

Alex Lemas

Seeker
Seeker
Reaction score
Ten Lost Years 1929-1939. Barry Broadfoot. Lots of stories of how people survived the depression in Canada. The author interviewed people on how it is when there is no money. How they did it, what tricks and knowledge they had to use every day just to EAT.
Good read, lots of individual stories, fascinating read on how clever people become when they are down to nothing.

TimoneX

Site Supporter
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That ancient alien astronaut stuff is fascinating, in part because a whole lot of it makes perfect sense. Reading through the Mahabharata and or Ramayana is enough to make one question the "official" history of mankind and it's only one tiny piece of evidence to support these theories. Great reading if you don't mind having your mind blown.

Bogie

Reaction score
[h=1]American Gunfight: The Plot to Kill President Truman--and the Shoot-out That Stopped It[/h]American Gunfight is the fast-paced, definitive, and breathtakingly suspenseful account of an extraordinary historical event -- the attempted assassination of President Harry Truman in 1950 by two Puerto Rican Nationalists and the bloody shoot-out in the streets of Washington, D.C., that saved the president's life.

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
The Wife just bought me the 50th Anniversary edition of "The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged". Going to reread both, but one at a time. Just finished, The California Trail: An Epic With Many Heroes by George Rippey Stewart. Great book.

Ragnarok

I'd rather be
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I'd like to say I'm reading this one, but not for the same reasons:

obummer-reads.jpg

R.:hmpf:

Mantokir

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Moved from Paleo Solution to the Primal Blueprint, kind of expands the Paleo diet into a full lifestyle change.

Unclad Lad

Rhodium Imam
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
41EI9eKJc2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It's about accessing the databases and libraries that most search engines overlook.

gnome

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
designers_manual.jpg

This **** is brilliant.

SNICKLE 1980

Seeker
Seeker
Reaction score
IMG_0598-2.jpgThe Blue Equinox (vol 3 no 1) and Gems from the Equinox.

Last edited:

Argentium

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
A Nuclear Family Vacation; various short stories about nuclear tourism, great stuf, highly recommend!