• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

What Book Are You Reading Now?

CiscoKid

They all look good through beer goggles...
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
"Sacre Bleu" by Christopher Moore. It's just fiction, but it is very imaginative fiction. It starts with the murder of Vincent Van Gogh and involves most of the famous impressionists of the late 19th century. You don't have to be an art lover to appreciate this fast paced book.
180088001.jpg

Oldmansmith

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Just finished reading "One second after" about a terrorist EMP (stock up on food and ammo please!) and "Practicing Medicine without a License" about the Linus Pauling Vitamin C/Lysine cure for heart disease (forget what your cholesterol level is and for God's sake throw the statin drugs away if you are stupid enough to be taking them).

Both highly recommended.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Just finished reading "One second after" about a terrorist EMP (stock up on food and ammo please!) and "Practicing Medicine without a License" about the Linus Pauling Vitamin C/Lysine cure for heart disease (forget what your cholesterol level is and for God's sake throw the statin drugs away if you are stupid enough to be taking them).

Both highly recommended.

I some MAJOR shopping trips after reading "one second after". Making Mrs. smooth read it now. That is one book that needs to be passed on to loved ones

Malus

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Non-fiction, "Inside the Priory of Scion" by Robert Howells. Just about half way through and am not really impressed. Trying to link Freemasons with Priory with Rosicrucians and the Jesus had a bloodline story all centering around the Templars and Rennes-le-Chateau. A lot of speculation from a "priory insider" and the writer. Maybe the second half will be better and shed some light on something.:hmmmm2: Granted, there were some interesting things I didn't know, but, most is rehash if you've done any prior reading on the subject.

Fiction, "Dust" by Charles Pellegrino. Good fiction about end of the world. Biology changes and bugs disappearing and others morphing to adapt. Various science groups trying to figure out "why". The story delves into the earth resetting itself like in some grand universal precession. The cycle of the planet and it just happens to be when we're inhabiting the world. Really intense fiction. It was written in 1998. Granted I don't know how it ends yet and what conclusion they eventually arrive at if any (only 3/4 of the way through). Good read so far.:thumbs_up:

silverbug22

Seeker
Seeker
Reaction score
Gardening know how books..Also my medical books as usual for the coming exam..:confused:

Ryedale

Reaction score
[h=1]Pattern Making and Foundry Practice by L.H. Hand 1905[/h]

Turner-son

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score

Both highly recommended.

I really hope One Second After has been updated - I read that book right after it came out and it was the most painful read ever. "Could of", "Should of", "Would of" instead of "have" ... plus many other editing issues.

I recommended it to my brother with the stipulation he wait a year to read it - I didn't hear any complaints, so I'm assuming it was re-edited.

Fiction: Stephen Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen Decalogy, Tokien's The Hobbit, S.M. Stirling's Emberverse Series ... a few others
Non-Fiction: Griffin's Creature from Jekyll Island (for the second time), Ron Paul's End the Fed

Silvergun

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I really hope One Second After has been updated - I read that book right after it came out and it was the most painful read ever. "Could of", "Should of", "Would of" instead of "have" ... plus many other editing issues.

I recommended it to my brother with the stipulation he wait a year to read it - I didn't hear any complaints, so I'm assuming it was re-edited.

I just finished reading this a few months ago and dont remember this issue. It is possible I could of been distracted by the important message the book sends. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK!!! :thumbs_up:

Turner-son

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I just finished reading this a few months ago and dont remember this issue. It is possible I could of been distracted by the important message the book sends. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK!!! :thumbs_up:

Considering the error was in almost every single paragraph, trust me, you would have noticed, no matter how important the subject matter. Now that I think about it, it might have been a free advance copy my wife picked up at one of her conferences...that would explain the egregious editing problems.

sharkman

Cobra Commander
Seeker
Reaction score
I finished reading Neil Kramer's - "The Unfoldment". I truly enjoyed it and somewhat changed the way I think about things. Its well worth a read. :thumbs_up:

I am about 70% of the way thru Christopher Knowles - "Our God Wear Spandex". This is a really interesting book which ties in comic book heroes to archetypes of the past. :thumbs_up:

Other books on my list to read in the future are books by Joseph P Farrell and Phillip K Dick, starting with VALIS.

Would enjoy hearing comments if anyone has read any of the above.

gringott

"Internet Moofluencer"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

Malus

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Chris Hedges: The World As It Is, Dispatches on the Myth of Human Progress

9781568586403.jpg

Merkin

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
FWIW, I'm reading George Orwell's "1984," then will be re-reading "Animal Farm." He had many other titles that are well worth reading, but I'm going back to basics here. Orwell was well ahead of his time, both in intelligence and predictions...its surreal how much of his writings (1984 in particular) have come to fruition today. He didn't prognosticate everything, but it's very eery how much he was on target decades before it actually happened.

What should I be reading next?

I am currently reading "The 12th IMAM" by Joel C. Rosenberg. At least as good as "One Second After", both are powerful.

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Ghost towns of Michigan volume 1 & 2 lower peninsula.

This along with historicmapworks.com and historicaerials.com is my winter research for finding spots for summer treasure hunting. :thumbs_up:

ghosttowns.jpg

gnome

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
my (not so) little bro got me this for christmas:

essnt.jpg

dad got me this:

A-Feast-of-Weeds-A-Literary-Guide-to-Foraging-and-Cooking-Wild-Edible-Plants.jpg

I think they've got my number. :thumbs_up:

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
jame grant's mr market miscalculates

grant is a historian in economist clothing

namwalker

Seeker
Seeker
Reaction score
I just finished reading "Democaracy in America" by Alex D'Tocquaville (spelling) along with the Federalist Papers. Starting on (again) "The count of Monte Cristo" by Alexander Dumas

samwiii

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Война и мир in the original Russian.

Just kidding; the wife's reading Shades of Grey. I don't have the energy left to read. But I'll confess to reading a lot of SciFi/Fantasy (about a book a week). I deal with "real life" enough at work that I read to escape.

WillieTheKid

Reaction score
"Stick to Drawing Comics, Monkey Face" by Scott Adams (of Dilbert fame). Lots of intelligent & humorous insight. It's much better than I expected.

--Willie

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Revelation every Sunday this year, "A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23" (in the evenings), and "The Secret Garden" (for story-time at my kids' school).

obilly

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
John Ross
Unintended
Consequences

some Gimmer recommended it,,,can't remember. thanks to whomever

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Just finished reading “Black Hawk: An Autobiography.” The Sac/Sauk tribe was an eastern “refugee” tribe that was continuously forced west from the Iroquois trade wars and the advancement of the US army and settlers that followed closely behind. Black Hawk was not a tribal elder, but was the son of a powerful tribal elder, and he inherited the medicine bundle that had been carried by his father, a very important responsibility that he did not take lightly.

During the turmoil of the mid-1800’s, the unofficial leader of the Sac Tribe, Keokuk, sold the Sac lands in present-day northwest Illinois and relocated many of the Sac people west of the Mississippi River in an illegal treaty. Black Hawk and his clan were defiant and not willing to give up their land and be forced off their farming and hunting grounds in NW IL. The “Black Hawk War” was not a war; it was a genocidal witch hunt in which the women and children of Black Hawk’s clan fled north through 4-Lakes (Madison, WI), then down the Ouisconsin (WI) River, with Black Hawk and his fellow warriors trying to slow down the US Army in the process so that the women and children could find safety somewhere. The “war” culminated near present-day Prairie du Chien, WI at the “Battle of Bad Axe” where these starving women and children were killed outright or drowned trying to cross the Mississippi River. Black Hawk’s warriors and clan were all but wiped out in an illegal and unnecessary act of genocide. Long live the memory of Black Hawk.

black-hawk-autobiography-paperback-cover-art.jpg

B00B001000

Seeker
Seeker
Reaction score
FWIW, I'm reading George Orwell's "1984," then will be re-reading "Animal Farm." He had many other titles that are well worth reading, but I'm going back to basics here. Orwell was well ahead of his time, both in intelligence and predictions...its surreal how much of his writings (1984 in particular) have come to fruition today. He didn't prognosticate everything, but it's very eery how much he was on target decades before it actually happened.

What should I be reading next?

" All Pigs are equal, some Pigs are more equal than others"

REO 54

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
I just finished "One Second After" by Willam Forstchen.

A gut wrenching emotional story/scenario.A sobering book,not for the light hearted.
It's about a EMP scenario that happens to America and what ensues after the event.

Next up....."Oil,God and Gold" by Anthony Cave Brown.

Sheesh,that's enough for now. :afraid:

engineear

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
The Harbinger...Jonathan Cahn

Giants..Master Builders of Prehistoric and Ancient Civilizations...Steve Quayle

The Bible...numerous, with Yaweh's inspiration :bowdown:

birddog

Here for the show.....
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Just finished One Second After... Man, it really would be easy to take us out.

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
history made simple... not too shabby... liked the analysis of the French Revolution through Napoleon among others:

A LITTLE HISTORY OF THE WORLD

A Little History of the World (originally in German, Eine kurze Weltgeschichte für junge Leser) is a history book by Ernst Gombrich. It was written in 1935 in Vienna; Gombrich was 25 years old at the time.

The short history chronicles human development from the inventions of cavemen to the results of the First World War. Additionally, the book describes the beliefs of many major world religions, including Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Christianity, and Islam, and incorporates these ideas into its narrative presentation of historical people and events.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Little_History_of_the_World

I cheated... audio book, not badly narrated at all... if you do the bittorrent thingy...

https://thepiratebay.sx/torrent/8900349/A_Little_History_of_the_World_-_E.H._Gombrich