• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

What Book Are You Reading Now?

fink1

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Listening to Atlas Shrugged right now, 4th time through it in 40 years. Strange how fiction has turned into non-fiction.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
We're in luck... Cybotage has just uploaded hundreds of hours of great audiobooks to the pirate bay... He's been missed, always top quality and great selections...
Ufff - I'll be set for a few months now!!
Meh, I can't get into the whole piracy thing. Writing books and recording audio is a LOT of work and people deserve to set a price on that work. If I don't agree on that price, I just go without. Just like with every other good and service, I don't choose to steal the result of others' labor just because I have the technological ability.

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
Meh, I can't get into the whole piracy thing. Writing books and recording audio is a LOT of work and people deserve to set a price on that work. If I don't agree on that price, I just go without. Just like with every other good and service, I don't choose to steal the result of others' labor just because I have the technological ability.

I like scribd, only $8 a month and loaded with books. They’ve got everything audible does except new releases and certain “special authors”

The only thing I don’t like is getting started on a 18 book series and finding #3 and #9 aren’t included

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
Listening to Atlas Shrugged right now, 4th time through it in 40 years. Strange how fiction has turned into non-fiction.

That’s got to be 60 hours or so at 1x

Merkin

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Wow, 4th time, I think twice will have to do it for me, tooooo much other good stuff to catch. Kon-Tiki anyone?

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
If I had to pay for all the movies, series, books that I stop watching /reading after 3 minutes because I don't like them, I'd be broke.

But when I find things I like, I buy them online, shipped to people I care about.

Like the whole Ranger's Apprentice series for my oldest grandson...

Isn't "the customer king"?

If I taste a sample of food I don't like at Costco, do I have to buy the crate?

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
If I had to pay for all the movies, series, books that I stop watching /reading after 3 minutes because I don't like them, I'd be broke.
Audible has 4 minute “sample now” for all books but I’m not sure if you need an account to use it.

Personally I only use audible when I can’t find on scribd and don’t want to wait. Even though they are evil Amazon they have good customer service. At least twice I’ve accidentally bought the Spanish language version and they gave credit straight away no questions asked

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Isn't "the customer king"?

If I taste a sample of food I don't like at Costco, do I have to buy the crate?
No. The customer is often an asshole. The only people that think the customer is king are people that dont have to deal with them handson or desperate for money— ive fired my fair share of customers.

as to your example, thats a bad one. do you open the crates at costco and sample them on your own? If so, then yes you have to buy it.

but that is why i like my subscription services as ill try as much as i want and stop ifn i dont like it.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
On my last trip to the USA I registered at the local library which offers audiobooks just like books, but through online sites.

I was never able to get the systems to work before I left.

Otherwise I would have access to the audiobooks for free while being considered an upstanding citizen.

See the irony?

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
No. The customer is often an asshole. The only people that think the customer is king are people that dont have to deal with them handson or desperate for money— ive fired my fair share of customers.

as to your example, thats a bad one. do you open the crates at costco and sample them on your own? If so, then yes you have to buy it.

but that is why i like my subscription services as ill try as much as i want and stop ifn i dont like it.
So you're not familiar with the free food samples at Costco, so you accuse me of damaging the items that others would purchase?

Hmmm.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
inheritors was a good read, thx. Im putting dream merchants on the to be read list somewhere.
Dream merchants was a good read too. I like this guy, its not my usual genre but fun reads. Gonna try a post humous novel of his of his next: the looters.

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
On my last trip to the USA I registered at the local library which offers audiobooks just like books, but through online sites.

I was never able to get the systems to work before I left.

Otherwise I would have access to the audiobooks for free while being considered an upstanding citizen.

See the irony?
If your son lives in the states you should be able to use his online library card to downlead free audio books. Most systems use one drive. Also you can pay and join big libraries out of his county and download their books. If one drive doesn't work .

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
New Harry Bosch, the Dark Hours

Diving in

BigJim#1-8

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Just finished, Better Off Dead, Lee Child, Jack Reacher series. Kinda slow.

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I'll probably read it anyway, just started Cat and Mouse by James Patterson who is Always entertaining.
I read this one not long ago. It actually wasn't bad.

1638142041326.png

oldgaranddad

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
How to hide precious metals from the ruthless hordes and soul sucking governments.

TL;DR: if having a boating accident make sure the boat sinks into an underwater cave to deter unmotivated government workers from retrieving your stash from the bottom of the lake, bay or harbor.

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Midas Member
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I read this one not long ago. It actually wasn't bad.

View attachment 234553
You know, I hate to say it, but Bill Clinton seems like a totally reasonable man and a good president, from the perspective of time and having gone through Baby Bush, Obamao and the current Resident of the United States. Is that crazy, or what? Of course, that could be a bit because Uncle Newt held his feet to the fire.

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
You know, I hate to say it, but Bill Clinton seems like a totally reasonable man and a good president, from the perspective of time and having gone through Baby Bush, Obamao and the current Resident of the United States. Is that crazy, or what? Of course, that could be a bit because Uncle Newt held his feet to the fire.
Bill Clinton is like most addicts. His addictions and dark side won out over the good in him. He is not the first or last great man who let this happen.

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Clinnochio, you're kidding, Killery's husband? Wow.
yeah and there is a sequel. I have it on hold. Ill let you know if its any good. :)

3rd&20

Reaction score
A fun short book to take your mind of things, especially if your into aviation.It's called "CFI the Book" ...

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
Bill Clinton is like most addicts. His addictions and dark side won out over the good in him. He is not the first or last great man who let this happen.

There are worse things to be addicted to ;)

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Going through Ursula LeGuin
Most all of her books in audio. (Complete works in 1 download at TPB www.knaben.ru with a VPN of course. )

right now wizards and dragons in 1979 The Earthsea Trilogy.

Didn't listen far into the earlier books, either the writing, the characters, the theme or the reader... but getting involved in this one. About 4 hours into it.

Last edited:

oldgaranddad

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I would never see Clinton as a great man

Agreed. Bill Clinton was a willing meat puppet for his manipulative wife. Bill went along for the ride and enjoyed all the ill gotten gains along the way. If he did anything of value or good it was purely by coincidence.

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Agreed. Bill Clinton was a willing meat puppet for his manipulative wife. Bill went along for the ride and enjoyed all the ill gotten gains along the way. If he did anything of value or good it was purely by coincidence.
When you think about him that way, he’s really kind of pathetic.

TomD

Often wrong but never in doubt
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Not a specific book but a bunch by British author of historical fiction Bernard Cornwall. When I say "fiction" that's only half true, the character and some of the plot particular may be fictional but the story setting, large scale characters and the overall world in when it occurs are as real and accurate as possible. In his book, "Agincourt", you will experience the life of a British line archer and the world he lived in. You will experience the battle of Agincourt in historically accurate detail. Cornwell makes history exciting.

He wrote a number of series, mostly British centric historical novels. My favorite series was around the life of a fictional British soldier, Richard Sharpe, that examine in detail the Napoleonic era from the British perspective. There are about 20 books from that series alone.

Cornwell's books are so popular that they aren't often discounted. Instead of buying the whole Sharpe series, I found it at the local library.

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I am a quarter of the way through Clinton and Patterson's second book. The Presidents Daughter Goes Missing. Its fairly entertaining. To me the President that Clinton has crafted in the book is perhaps the man he wished he could have been. Instead he allowed sex addiction to rule him and sold himself to the devil and married Satan's Daughter.

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Any book suggestions on life in a communist country? It needs to be fiction with communism as a background because I can not take too much more hard core reality. As a child Doctor Zhivacho made a huge impression on me as far as watching Russia fall to communist. Its a powerful book and I still can't look at Fauci without thinking about Rasputin. I was thinking something more modern this time.

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
The laptop from hell is reportedly a helluva book.
I'm not much of a reader, but I might have to pick it up.

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Any book suggestions on life in a communist country? It needs to be fiction with communism as a background because I can not take too much more hard core reality. As a child Doctor Zhivacho made a huge impression on me as far as watching Russia fall to communist. Its a powerful book and I still can't look at Fauci without thinking about Rasputin. I was thinking something more modern this time.
I never read Doctor Zhivago, but I have a copy in my personal library. You recommend it, I presume?

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I never read Doctor Zhivago, but I have a copy in my personal library. You recommend it, I presume?
Its loooong but excellent book. Its a classic. The movie is really worth watching too.