• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

What Book Are You Reading Now?

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Going through Ursula LeGuin
Most all of her books in audio. (Complete works in 1 download at TPB www.knaben.ru with a VPN of course. )

right now wizards and dragons in 1979 The Earthsea Trilogy.

Didn't listen far into the earlier books, either the writing, the characters, the theme or the reader... but getting involved in this one. About 4 hours into it.
Got through the Trilogy. Not impressed.
Moving on to some Heinlein, but it seems that I have already read most of them.

Gotta reload my 64 gig micro-SD memory card with downloads on the hard drive to insert into my phone...

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I watched Dr Zhivago last night. Amazon has it for rent. I have not seen it since I was a teen. Its a heck of a movie. After watching it I determined a few things.

1 Russians are crazy, lord help us if we ever have to fight them

2 We do NOT want SHTF or civil war. It is horrible

3 Get the heck out of the city if TSHTF

4 Go to a warmer climate. I would last a week in Russia.

5 Most of all communism sounds great but it never quite works out for the little people like they think. These kids pushing it do not understand they will be required to work.

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Midas Member
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I watched Dr Zhivago last night. Amazon has it for rent. I have not seen it since I was a teen. Its a heck of a movie. After watching it I determined a few things.

1 Russians are crazy, lord help us if we ever have to fight them

2 We do NOT want SHTF or civil war. It is horrible

3 Get the heck out of the city if TSHTF

4 Go to a warmer climate. I would last a week in Russia.

5 Most of all communism sounds great but it never quite works out for the little people like they think. These kids pushing it do not understand they will be required to work.
I have Prime. I’ll have to rent it.

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I have Prime. I’ll have to rent it.
That was back when they knew how to make movies. Let me know what you think. It sort of puts perspective on the whole SHTF scene.. Nope, Nope we don't want it.

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
That was back when they knew how to make movies. Let me know what you think. It sort of puts perspective on the whole SHTF scene.. Nope, Nope we don't want it.
Absolutely not, we don’t want any part of a Communist Bolshevik revolution. They won’t admit it, in advance, because they might not even believe it, but there would be untold misery, poverty, hunger, camps or gulags of some sort and eventually mass murder. The inner circle would know these things are coming, but the thousands, or even millions of useful idiots wouldn’t be aware.

TomD

Often wrong but never in doubt
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
For anyone even remotely into Sci-Fi, Peter F Hamilton has done a large number of stellar (pun intended) books and series. Exciting page turners with engrossing characters with mind bending plots.

Military Fiction: I've been following 2 series that are especially good. "The Future of War" and "The Monroe Doctrine". Both series are extremely well done. Understand that this if from the viewpoint of someone who consistently abandons 65% of the books I start within 60 pages.

Sci-Fi: Lord Valentines Castle-Robert Silverberg This is one of the all-time best stand alone Sci-Fi

Chickenhawk, non-fiction, Robert Mason, Vietnam from a helicopter pilot's perspective

Shattered Sword, non-fiction, The Battle of Midway from the Japanese perspective

Ringworld, Sci-Fi, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournell.

Anything by James Clavel or James Michner

brosil

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Pandemia by Alex Berenson. It was cheap and a good history of the beer flu panic.

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I think Ive read one bo80ok in my adult life and that was the civil war, back in 80s it was a very good read.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Dream merchants was a good read too. I like this guy, its not my usual genre but fun reads. Gonna try a post humous novel of his of his next: the looters.

yeah, I DNF'd "The looters", its just didn't pull me in.

Started a new series by an Author I enjoyed in the past (Hugh Howey).
On book 2 of "The Bern Saga"

Scifi, enjoyable series on kindle unlimited.

Fiat Metaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
I just ordered Why Deflation is the Key to an Abundant Future by Booth. Saw an interview he gave. He's a technologist and entrepreneur, and discusses how technology is causing deflation which is masking central bank inflation.

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
yeah, I DNF'd "The looters", its just didn't pull me in.

Started a new series by an Author I enjoyed in the past (Hugh Howey).
On book 2 of "The Bern Saga"

Scifi, enjoyable series on kindle unlimited.

Life’s too short to continue on with a book that doesn’t grab you. There’s so much to absorb and enjoy and so little time left.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I just got an alert that My favorite current western series just came out with a new book.

Another enjoyable series on KU, so I'll be reading that one next.

Bottom Feeder

Useless Eater
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Sci-Fi books — got over 2500 of em. I've kept every SF book I've ever read and I started reading them at about 13 or 14 years old. I even have a couple of paperbacks with a price of 25¢ on them.
Anyhow, a few years ago I got tired of the on and on and on stories they were pushing out as science fiction so I reached back into my collection and started reading some of the oldies.
One good (?) thing about getting old is your memory ain't as sharp as it used to be so almost ever sci-fi book I pick outta my collection is like a brand new story! Of course the master writers (Heinlein, Clarke, Asimov, Bradbury, etc) wrote books that stuck in my memory, but authors like Avram Davidson, John Campbell, Robert Williams, Murray Leinster, James Schmitz, Paul MacTyre and many others you've never heard of wrote entertaining stories that you could actually follow to the ending in one book. And you didn't need a notebook to keep track of the characters.
I'm always reading at least one or two sci-fi books in addition to the individual ones I have started listing in this thread. And, of course, there are the never ending reading of philosophical tomes, Holy Books, mystical & occult, and scientific textbooks.
This ain't me:
Not Bottom Feeder.jpg

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Audiobooks - hours & hours (weeks) of fine Space Sci-Fi... free... (use a VPN !!! ) (21 gigs...) I'm about half-way through after a month... almost full-time while awake... (I'd previously listened to a few of these books - but not "in order"... great collection!)

After downloading - I copy to a micro-sd card to put in my phone, and use the FREE app "Smart AudioBook Reader" (never lose your place), along with free app "Super Volume Booster" to have control of volume... (headphones, or bluetooth in the car)...

Smart Audiobook Reader is just a tad hard to set up at first - since you have to place the correct "library location" (SD external memory) into the "settings"... not obvious at first, takes a few tries... Then works perfectly... (settings also control "automatic go to sleep" and "rewind times" etc... Also, if you switch off in the middle of one book, then listen to others - when you come back to that original book, it remembers where you left off...)

B.V. Larson Audiobook Collection

Galactic Liberation:
#1 Starship Liberator
#2 Battleship Indomitable
#3 Flagship Victory
#4 Hive War
#5 Straker’s Breakers
#6 Hell’s Reach

Imperium:
#0 Mech Zero The Dominant
#1 Mech 1 The Parent
#2 Mech 2 The Savant
#3 Mech 3 The Empress
#4 Mech 4 Black Ship

Lost Colonies:
#1 Battle Cruiser
#2 Dreadnought
#3 Star Carrier

Rebel Fleet:
#1 Rebel Fleet
#2 Orion Fleet
#3 Alpha Fleet
#4 Earth Fleet

Star Force:
#1 Swarm
#2 Extinction
#3 Rebellion
#4 Conquest
#4,5 Army of One
#5 Battle Station
#6 Empire
#7 Annihilation
#8 Storm Assault
#9 The Dead Sun
#10 Outcast
#11 Exile
#12 Demon Star

Star Runner:
#1 Star Runner
#2 Fire Fight

Undying Mercenaries:
#1 Steel World
#2 Dust World
#3 Tech World
#4 Machine World
#5 Death World
#6 Home World
#7 Rogue World
#8 Blood World
#9 Dark World
#10 Storm World
#11 Armor World
#12 Clone World
#13 Glass World
#14 Edge World
#15 Green world

Unspeakable Things
#1 Technomancer
#2 The Bone Triangle

Books in the torrent:
#Element-X
#Five by Five
#Planetary Assault
#Starfire
#War of Spheres
#Black Phoenix

Last edited:

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I finally finshed the sci series: molly fyde

It started out really good, then just dragged on... by the 4th book I seriously considered walking away but i stuck it through just to see how it ended. meh, i should have just walked away. I much preferred the authors "Wool" series. Which I would recommend.

Started the latest book in the western series: grizzly killer

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Re-reading Dune and the following books by Frank Herbert.

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
Still slogging through Kennedy’s the Real Anthony Fauci

It’s infuriating, credible, and very long

gringott

"Internet Moofluencer"
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am reading The Return of Holy Russia by Gary Lachman. (2020).
Got it back then but only read a few pages and misplaced it. Really on topic for background on what is going on in the world. The author is also a former bass player for Blondie. About 70 pages in now and very good. My son had read it when it came out and suggested it. Anyway, very timely if you don't know much about the soul of Russia.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XBNNHXQ/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_taft_p1_i1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Lachman

TomD

Often wrong but never in doubt
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Sci-Fi books — got over 2500 of em. I've kept every SF book I've ever read and I started reading them at about 13 or 14 years old. I even have a couple of paperbacks with a price of 25¢ on them.
I'm also a long, long term SciFi reader since High School. Thousands of them. Remember a "Planet Called Sheol"? "Harrison Bergeron"? Asimov, Clarke? Harlon Ellison? Unfortunantly. I didn't keep my books until I got into electronic formats. I would get so many of them---.

Agavegirl1

Gold Chaser
Survivor
Midas Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
My daughter got me the Mistborn Trilogy for Christmas by Brandon Sanderson. I plan to start reading that but am torn because I also got the Caladan Trilogy (minus the one not out until October).

Fiat Metaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
I'm also a long, long term SciFi reader since High School. Thousands of them. Remember a "Planet Called Sheol"? "Harrison Bergeron"? Asimov, Clarke? Harlon Ellison? Unfortunantly. I didn't keep my books until I got into electronic formats. I would get so many of them---.

Harrison Bergeron is a short story, you can find it here. I think its Vonegut's best, and everyone should read it.

I too prefer books over electronic. I enjoy hunting used book sales. You can find them here: booksalefinder.com. Many libraries postponed their sales due to Covid so they are overflowing with books. These are books donated by their supporters, and most are not ex-library books.

gringott

"Internet Moofluencer"
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Fiat Metaler, I read Harrison Bergeron decades ago. That is a classic story and I think of it often the last few years. Life imitating fiction.

EO 11110

stop (them) now
Survivor
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
peter navarro's 'in trump time' -- the inside baseball of the covid crap, the stolen elections

he names names of the traitors in the admin - including mnuchin, kudlow, tillerson, others

roughly -- it was navarro and bannon against the neocon trash

Merkin

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I really enjoyed that book as well. Heinlen was a great favorite of mine because of "stranger from a strange land".
I have finally bitten the bullet and have decided to read "Dune", to the end. I've started it a couple times but got discouraged because of the extensive "new" vocabulary. Curiosity keeps driving me back. I am determined now, way beyond following up on a new years resolution.

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
I have finally bitten the bullet and have decided to read "Dune", to the end. I've started it a couple times but got discouraged because of the extensive "new" vocabulary. Curiosity keeps driving me back. I am determined now, way beyond following up on a new years resolution.
Ambitious

much like Atlas Shrugged a pussed out and put this on the Audible playlist

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I read Dune about 40 years ago. I remember it boring the heck out of me, but I promised a friend, who was a big fan, that I would read it. I didn’t like the movie too much, either, although I did like Kyle MacLachlan and Patrick Stewart in it. Sting was annoying as hell, I thought. I never watched it a second time.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
i recall dune being a good fast read. But there are a subset of people that are fascinated with it. My business partner is one of those people…. Cant go more than a few months without quoting or referencing it.

Thecrensh

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I read Dune about 40 years ago. I remember it boring the heck out of me, but I promised a friend, who was a big fan, that I would read it. I didn’t like the movie too much, either, although I did like Kyle MacLachlan and Patrick Stewart in it. Sting was annoying as hell, I thought. I never watched it a second time.
You should check out the newest version of Dune released in 2021...it's only part 1 of X, but I loved it.

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
You should check out the newest version of Dune released in 2021...it's only part 1 of X, but I loved it.
I’ve heard or read it’s good. I might just check it out some time.

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Endurance, by Alfred Lansing about the adventures of the Ernest Shackleton team's doomed, 1915 attempt to cross the Antarctic continent on foot. Their boat, the Endurance was crushed by pack ice and eventually sank in the Weddell Sea. The Endurance was just discovered at the bottom of the sea just last week, so it's a current event of sorts.

The book is an amazing account of the human will to survive based only on the facts gleaned from the diaries and logs of the survivors of the expedition. But it reads like a novel. I am now about 7/8 through the book but am pretty confident that when I finish, it will be the most riveting book I have ever- or will ever read.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Endurance, by Alfred Lansing about the adventures of the Ernest Shackleton team's doomed, 1915 attempt to cross the Antarctic continent on foot. Their boat, the Endurance was crushed by pack ice and eventually sank in the Weddell Sea. The Endurance was just discovered at the bottom of the sea just last week, so it's a current event of sorts.

The book is an amazing account of the human will to survive based only on the facts gleaned from the diaries and logs of the survivors of the expedition. But it reads like a novel. I am now about 7/8 through the book but am pretty confident that when I finish, it will be the most riveting book I have ever- or will ever read.
The HISTORY CHANNEL is already promoting a documentary on the search. Premieres March 22, 2022 10PM ET/PT.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I like scribd, only $8 a month and loaded with books. They’ve got everything audible does except new releases and certain “special authors”

The only thing I don’t like is getting started on a 18 book series and finding #3 and #9 aren’t included
So I tried the free scribd trial after this and found some stuff to read -- esp. some niche business books that aren't on Kindle Unlimited subscription. the wife found a lot of stuff she really liked -- big name authors not on KU. eg: stephen king

The thing is that I hate to read on a phone or a computer screen, I really liked my kindle e-ink reader. so I cancelled the scribd after the trial.
But my kindle paperwhite was getting old -- trouble charging, lagging, battery life -- so I went looking for another ereader that works for scribd. But I couldn't find any that definitively worked with Scribd that had the e-ink screen.

Anyways, I finally found the boox poke 3. https://us.boox.com/products/poke3
Its about the same size as my Kindle Paperwhite and its harder to setup/get going. There are numerous of poorly documented configuration options and each app has its own as well. At first I was really disappointed by it, but after playing with all the settings, it is definitely as good of a reader as my paperwhite, but with the added bonus of working with any book subscription service that has an app on the google play store (its an android base). I have read kindle books and scribd on it now and the apps are comparable. So I've cancelled my KU subscription after 9 years or so and filling up my TBR list with books on scribd.

Thanks for the tip.

RebelYell

Name no longer reflects my changed worldview.
Reaction score
I like scribd, only $8 a month and loaded with books. They’ve got everything audible does except new releases and certain “special authors”

The only thing I don’t like is getting started on a 18 book series and finding #3 and #9 aren’t included
Anyone else tried libby? I just found out about it. Basically you leverage your local library to borrow ebooks for free. You can have them sent to kindle (at least if you live in the US you can).

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
Harrison Bergeron is a short story, you can find it here. I think its Vonegut's best, and everyone should read it.

I too prefer books over electronic. I enjoy hunting used book sales. You can find them here: booksalefinder.com. Many libraries postponed their sales due to Covid so they are overflowing with books. These are books donated by their supporters, and most are not ex-library books.

scribd has welcome to the monkey house coming 5/2

thanks for the tip. 25 short Vonnegut stories including Harrison Bergeron