• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

What Book Are You Reading Now?

Bottom Feeder

Useless Eater
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Cryptonomicon
Neal Stephenson

Nemesis
Isaac Asimov

History of Central Banking
Stephen Goodson

Behold a Pale Horse
William Cooper

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
I've been switching back & forth between 2 audiobook series, one fantasy fiction and the other space fiction...

Terry Goodkind

&

Craig Alanson "Expeditionary Force" & "Mavericks"

both downloaded free from the pirate bay - with a vpn... then copied onto a micro-SD-card... and placed in my spare smartphone without a sim card (and in "airplane" mode...)

Listen with either corded earphones or bluetooth...

BigJim#1-8

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Game of Snipers by Stephen Hunter
Bob Lee Swagger series.

Last edited:

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Ive got less than a 100 pages left in lonesome dove and have realized that they did that mini series more true to the novel than any other tv/movie adaptation i can think of.

BigJim#1-8

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Ive got less than a 100 pages left in lonesome dove and have realized that they did that mini series more true to the novel than any other tv/movie adaptation i can think of.
One of the best!!!

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Finished Contact by Carl Sagan this past weekend. I enjoyed the book and realize now how cutting edge it was for its time -- it has held up remarkably well. At times it was a bit of a chore to get through, being a bit plodding at times for a work of fiction; but still a good read if you are into scifi.

I'm a bit surprised that the book isn't pushed more by feminists and woke people because they did a good job of detailing problems that women in male dominated fields run into; but I guess its because they don't focus and harp on that part of the story and just let it be a good piece of character development.

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Midas Member
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Finished Contact by Carl Sagan this past weekend. I enjoyed the book and realize now how cutting edge it was for its time -- it has held up remarkably well. At times it was a bit of a chore to get through, being a bit plodding at times for a work of fiction; but still a good read if you are into scifi.

I'm a bit surprised that the book isn't pushed more by feminists and woke people because they did a good job of detailing problems that women in male dominated fields run into; but I guess its because they don't focus and harp on that part of the story and just let it be a good piece of character development.

That really was a good book and I was surprised Sagan wrote it. He gave the non-materialist viewpoint a pretty fair hearing, in my opinion, instead of ridiculing their side of things. The movie was even better than the book. Jodie Foster was excellent, as was Mathew MacConoughey, Tom Skerrit, John Hurt and a few others.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
That really was a good book and I was surprised Sagan wrote it. He gave the non-materialist viewpoint a pretty fair hearing, in my opinion, instead of ridiculing their side of things. The movie was even better than the book. Jodie Foster was excellent, as was Mathew MacConoughey, Tom Skerrit, John Hurt and a few others.
yeah, you can't go wrong with Jodi Foster. I enjoyed the movie, although after reading the book it kinda upsets me that they changed a bunch of details; but overall a good conversion.

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
I just finished the Garner Files

Brett Maverick/ Jim Rockford actors autobiography

tidbits 25% cherokee
Okg-853 license plate on the firebird was Oklahoma Garner
did all his own driving and stunts
had a near evil knevil medical,history from war wounds and stunts mishaps

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
After downloading almost all the audio books at the pirate bay for several years and listening to hundreds of them, I've recently fallen into overload and shut off my listening... So many stories...

And I decided to download a few thousand music hits from the 60s 70s and 80s...

Quite relaxing while driving (no commercials etc. compared to radio) and great while doing construction projects.

I put them on a micro SD card into my phone, and have a Bluetooth "shower speaker" that I hang on a doorknob......

I prefer not being distracted when I'm listening to books... and the old tunes make me feel young again...

Surprising how many lyrics you remember without having heard them for 40+ years... Many are so much better than what's playing today... and the melodies too...

Edit
BTW, I use the free apps
- SmartAudiobookReader, which, after being turned off, remembers where you left off and starts there again. It also remembers which files (books, chapters, music files) that you've already listened to previously, and you can start them back up where you left off, even though you've listened to plenty of others in the meantime.
- SuperVolumeBooster, because plenty of recordings are hard to hear at full phone / headphones / Bluetooth speaker volume.... especially if there is ambient noise (driving, construction, noisy conversations...)

Last edited:

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

arminius

Argentate Bluster
Eagle
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

Ironpig

Firefighters
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Books I'd recommend:
Zuan Falun by Li Hongzhi
The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt
Blink by Malcolm Gladwell
A Narrative of a Revolutionary Soldier by Joseph Plumb Martin
Magnetic current by Edward leedskalnin
From one spectrum to another, a broad strike of humanity! Enjoy!

Bushpilot

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Currently on book 2 of the Reacher series. Willing to lend out book 1.

alicestevens

Reaction score
Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything
by Steven D. Levitt, Stephen J. Dubner. I also started to read google customer reviews here and can't stop laughing.
People always expect so much from someone or something and are very disappointed when something goes a different ways.

Last edited:

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
UFreakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything
by Steven D. Levitt, Stephen J. Dubner

I tossed this one in the trash (edit - I tossed freakonomics, never read ultra freakonomics)

suggest Freedomnomics by John Lott, the author of more guns less crime. He wrote this book to explain the fallacies in freakonomics. This is a libertarian (lott) vs, liberal (levitt) battle.

to each their own, just expressing my opinion

Last edited: