• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What can we do to make GIM better?

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Hey guys,

We did work on the amount of forums, and all that jazz,
to some it was a flop, while to others it was a vast improvement,

We do have limitations in the software that prevent us from doing some things, such as the search function to try to find something that has been buried, etc.

Anyway, it is that time of year where I would request your input re ideas to make it a better hang out,

Whether it is layout/moderating/activity whatever,

Your chance to have a say in things, and we go from there,

TIA,

Scorp

Weatherman

In GIM since 2006
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
My vote is for the moderators to take a hard line against hostility between posters. I would like one of GIM's golden rules to be "Disagree Without Being Disagreeable". It really isn't so hard to say that I disagree with an idea, without also saying the person who posted the idea is a stupid so and so. I think hostility between posters is one of the major problems that caused good posters to drift away. If the Mods will take a stand against hostility, I think the GIM climate would improve, and new faces would flow back into GIM.

OK. I have my flame suit on. I am ready for the GIM legions to ignore the content of my message, and to beat me severely about the head and shoulders for posting it. :haha:

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
After seeing the change (that I voted for, lol) I'd like to say I think it was a bit better when we had a "business & energy section". Easier to look up certain subject matter.

On a different note:

I'm not into hijacking threads nor seeing threads hijacked. Simply not cool and in most cases it's done by someone or a (very) small group who either have an agenda they want to accomplish by derailing a thread or because they have taken some sort of personal affront to a particular post.

It's one thing to disagree with someone's post and pick the post apart. That's well and good and in some cases necessary. But it's not cool to attack the poster. If you know someone has posted something that is incorrect or wrong point it out but if you simply disagree with a post due to your beliefs (ie - you don't have squaduch for proof) simply buzz of.

Also, some people like to bait others when they derail / hijack threads. Wouldn't suprise me one bit if there aren't certain members who specialize in this. Derail a thread, bait someone in the hopes they will end up doing something that'll get them some time out. That's crapola and shouldn't be tolerated. Just my honest opinion...........fwiw.

That's about it from me for the time being.

GOLD DUCK

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
QWAK,There is always "FREE Obama phones" :call2::thumbs_up::36_11_6: if it worked for Obama it could work for GIM.:wink::cry1:

the DUCK :15_1_70v:

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
After seeing the change (that I voted for, lol) I'd like to say I think it was a bit better when we had a "business & energy section". Easier to look up certain subject matter.

On a different note:

I'm not into hijacking threads nor seeing threads hijacked. Simply not cool and in most cases it's done by someone or a (very) small group who either have an agenda they want to accomplish by derailing a thread or because they have taken some sort of personal affront to a particular post.

It's one thing to disagree with someone's post and pick the post apart. That's well and good and in some cases necessary. But it's not cool to attack the poster. If you know someone has posted something that is incorrect or wrong point it out but if you simply disagree with a post due to your beliefs (ie - you don't have squaduch for proof) simply buzz of.

Also, some people like to bait others when they derail / hijack threads. Wouldn't suprise me one bit if there aren't certain members who specialize in this. Derail a thread, bait someone in the hopes they will end up doing something that'll get them some time out. That's crapola and shouldn't be tolerated. Just my honest opinion...........fwiw.

That's about it from me for the time being.
I agree, BUT, it is usually a troll doing the dirty work & it's difficult, at best, to con-trol a troll.
I admit to occasionally attacking a couple of known trolls, because I just get fed up with their "crapolla".

I have gotten a pm from time to time from good members apologizing for hijacking my thread.
I say, innocent thoughts thrown in on a conversation, should not be considered hijacking a thread. I look at it as an enhancement.

Personally, I don't see a lot of intentional hijacking, but when I do, it is disturbing.
Maybe, the mod's can admonish the flagrant violators that take it to, or past, "the limit".

BUT, where is that limit? I guess that is why we have mods, that's their job.
JMTC

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Weather,

Great point and it has certainly been a ongoing issue,

Yet in deference to our good solid members, we have sat on our hands, trying to allow them to work it out between them, without resorting to ban hammers/threats of action and all that jazz,

As you say, take on the idea, but leave the poster out of the response as we are all entitled to our opinion,

From our POV, there is no winning, as if we try to reign it in then it appears as way over the top heavy handedness, while if we let it go for guys to sort out on their own, it dissolves into ugly situations,

And you are correct, it detracts from the discussion

You certainly make a fair assessment of it

Rollie Free

Midas Member
Midas Member
I am another 'don't change anything' type. I like things the way they are no matter what they are.

Seriously, a great forum and while I know there are trolls and agitators and outright racism I like the open forum. Not much of that these days.

I think the tradeoff is worth it and I salute you guys for letting anyone speak their mind (within reason).

Usury

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
QWAK,There is always "FREE Obama phones" :call2::thumbs_up::36_11_6: if it worked for Obama it could work for GIM.:wink::cry1:

the DUCK :15_1_70v:
LOL....I was thinking the same thing, Duck--Where's the free gold?? LOL.

In all seriousness, I'd leave it be for now. Major change ends up with unintended consequences--ALMOST ALWAYS. Take a look at the current POTUS regime of "Change"....hows that working out for us?

Bigjon

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
My vote is for the moderators to take a hard line against hostility between posters. I would like one of GIM's golden rules to be "Disagree Without Being Disagreeable". It really isn't so hard to say that I disagree with an idea, without also saying the person who posted the idea is a stupid so and so. I think hostility between posters is one of the major problems that caused good posters to drift away. If the Mods will take a stand against hostility, I think the GIM climate would improve, and new faces would flow back into GIM.

OK. I have my flame suit on. I am ready for the GIM legions to ignore the content of my message, and to beat me severely about the head and shoulders for posting it. :haha:
So under this criteria a troll can come in berate and insult and name call with the result the thread gets thrown into the backroom.

Usury

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
So under this criteria a troll can come in berate and insult and name call with the result the thread gets thrown into the backroom.
I Think his thought was take a harder line against the posters that behave that way. But to Scorp's point, that's a tough wire to balance on...

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
while i can add no specifics......as things change more and more of us are using mobile devices more often to do posting so any adjustments that would cater to mobile devices would be appreciated by many....

also ...time and time again you see requests for more moderation.......i see requests for more moderation by posters that are ones that would have a lot of their posts moderated.....so there can never be a happy place for those people...

Eyebone

Midas Member
Midas Member
So far here we can criticize jeasus, bibi netinyahoo, obamma, debate the holocaust, suffer newbies,

allow a limited amount of profanity, it's very nice.

Oh and a big thing is a relief from advertising, (Big Thank You For That).

Rather then look to advertising to help pay the bills, if that is ever needed, make it easy for members to donate.

Not PayPall but some visa or something, maybe BitCoin.

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
I have been here since GIM 1, and am still here. GIM has been a valuable "gauge" of our changing times ( to me- take some time to pull up way, way , past posts). No complaints. We have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly....the bad and the ugly do not last to long. It is your forum, we are all just guests. Thank You for taking the time to keep GIM chugging along for so many years.

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
FREE FOOD AND AN OPEN BAR! That always makes a party! But, I think it's just fine like it is.

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
allow a limited amount of profanity, it's very nice.
Since I have little formal education, I find it difficult to express myself without occasionally using profanity.

So yeah, I like that too.

Oh and a big thing is a relief from advertising, (Big Thank You For That).
Yes, ditto that.

Consider a "no thanks" button. It would be useful even if they could only be used once a week or so and didn't accumulate as a score in a poster's rating.

Maybe an automatic log out and a warning screen that says "GET OFF YOUR ASS ALREADY" once a member has been logged in too long.:wait:

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
the best part of this forum in my opinion is the light hand of the moderator

Just about any post is tolerable which is real free speech

My only suggestion is bring back Phideaux

Zed

Size doesn't count!
Midas Member
I'd be happy with a "play the ball" rule that uniformly imposed say a 1 or 2 day ban. In other words all posts should be about the subject and not critical of the other posters in any direct way. That could go a long way to helping things along and keeping them civil.

... but I am happy to rough house as well if that is the go.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
the best part of this forum in my opinion is the light hand of the moderator

Just about any post is tolerable which is real free speech

My only suggestion is bring back Phideaux
The doggie is gone by his own accord. Not banned. He can retrieve anytime he chooses...

He's known to be frequenting the site still... just doesn't post.

Desert Fox

Seeker
Seeker
Getting to know the characters and the discussion material is pretty good.
Moderating has got to pretty tough. Banning or slapping a real idiot is easy. Those that draw the ire but walk the line????? Right there in the crosshairs but never quite enough to drop the hammer. Plus no one's happy with inaction or action. Tough gig. Seems like a nice job is being done.
I'd say you guys are doing a pretty good job having been around the block. Keep up the good work.:9536:

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Here's a little thought...........

Why not do things the way they are done in the real world. You climb in to a ring, put gloves on and swing on someone. That someone bloodies your nose............you can't run to a ref (mod) and say "this isn't fair." He hit me, please help me.

In the real world you can't screw with some one with out them screwing back with you unless you're nothing more than a bully boy who picks on some one who can't fight back.

How about this............if you go into someone's thread and hijack it, they have every right to go into your thread(s) and hijack it (them) the same way you hijacked their thread. No running to the mods...........what ever they post in your thread stands. Period...............point blank. Tit for tat. Turn about is fair play.

Last edited:

Zed

Size doesn't count!
Midas Member
NEW SUBFORUM!

"The Bare Knuckle Ring!"

or

"Fight Club"

I guess the old "Dog House" with a formal no holds barred attitude! So long as it stays contained... I guess.

I don't know... sometimes ya just gotta take a poke! :biggrin:

I dunno if that would be good or bad.???????????

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
NEW SUBFORUM!

"The Bare Knuckle Ring!"

or

"Fight Club"

I guess the old "Dog House" with a formal no holds barred attitude! So long as it stays contained... I guess.

I don't know... sometimes ya just gotta take a poke! :biggrin:

I dunno if that would be good or bad.???????????
Brother Zed..............Works for me :beerglass: :beerglass: :beerglass:

Spike

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Hey guys,

We did work on the amount of forums, and all that jazz,
to some it was a flop, while to others it was a vast improvement,

We do have limitations in the software that prevent us from doing some things, such as the search function to try to find something that has been buried, etc.

Anyway, it is that time of year where I would request your input re ideas to make it a better hang out,

Whether it is layout/moderating/activity whatever,

Your chance to have a say in things, and we go from there,

TIA,

Scorp
BearDude...

You finally removed that chitco Canadian quote company from our screens...good job, who could ask for more.

But I'm still waiting for the sweet babes
anchorwomen-20.jpg
anchorwomen-29.jpg

you promised that would whisper quotes in our ear.....

I'm sure you're working on it...:tounge_smile:

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I miss the days when it was a donor based site. With that said, I like the moderation better now than right before the end of GIM1. I won't mention the mod that used to irritate me but I'll mention the ones who were good, Gkahn and Gpond. The regular mods today are great IMHO. There was a year or so after the April fools switch when I was pissed and leery but I eventually got over it. Thanks for keeping the lights on.

<===Foolsgold

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
The best thing to get the forum buzzing with activity is to get GOLD to make a run for another all time high.

During the last run up the forum was buzzing with activity. I think we are on "Stand By" mode and it's boring. Learn to appreciate boring it won't be here forever.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
I'm getting used to the forums as they are now.

It's a little clearer for me between Topical, Coffee Shack and Politics forums.

Especially now that there is an (explanation) what's expected in each.

Before, I couldn't tell what to post where. Now, it's clear.