• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

What do you guys think about electric lawnmowers?

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Good for small lawns. Don't believe the range (on a charge) they claim in the ads. Especially if grass is thick or damp.

Densus

Gold Chaser
Reaction score
I was just about to ask this question. It seems that most of the mowers made today are battery powered. I've been somewhat looking around for a new self propelled mower, mine is starting to give me problems and it's just a few years old.

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Midas Member
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I like mine although I do have a smaller yard. I have two batteries so I can switch when first dies.

About how much runtime do you get from one battery?

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
About how much runtime do you get from one battery?

45 minutes to an hour here

enough to do a small lawn with plenty of juice left over

that is mostly buffalo grass …..it should be called dry land grass , it is amazing anything grows in this drought stricken area

672C068B-4829-41EC-A7FA-2CE69EE87222.jpeg

2C4521BB-F72C-4CC9-AFE4-AD5BDE9633DC.jpeg

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
45 minutes to an hour here

enough to do a small lawn with plenty of juice left over

that is mostly buffalo grass …..it should be called dry land grass , it is amazing anything grows in this drought stricken area

View attachment 264847

View attachment 264848

I have a lawn that takes about an hour and 15 minutes to do with a gas mower. I imagine I could make a battery mower work for me, if I had the extra battery. I might have to spring for one. I have a B&D battery chain saw that works great for tree limbs and small trees.

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
This is where the electric stuff actually MAKES SENSE. Not-frequent use (once a week or so) and for short bursts (an hour or less). Getting away from gas and oil makes maintenance cleaner and quicker, and, now, cheaper.

FWIW I have not used one. When I was needing to cut grass, electric lawnmowers had cords. My trimmer chain saw had a cord. But even for the inconvenience, it was exponentially better than fighting a starting cord, or dealing with the gas/oil mix for the little engine.

Another attractive use: Snowblowers. Man, not having to start a cold gas snowblower, for what amounts to five minutes' work, is SUCH progress...

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
This is where the electric stuff actually MAKES SENSE. Not-frequent use (once a week or so) and for short bursts (an hour or less). Getting away from gas and oil makes maintenance cleaner and quicker, and, now, cheaper.

FWIW I have not used one. When I was needing to cut grass, electric lawnmowers had cords. My trimmer chain saw had a cord. But even for the inconvenience, it was exponentially better than fighting a starting cord, or dealing with the gas/oil mix for the little engine.

Another attractive use: Snowblowers. Man, not having to start a cold gas snowblower, for what amounts to five minutes' work, is SUCH progress...

I have been buying used riding lawn mowers, not expensive and makes a quick job of mowing. Sure used ones don’t last as long as new, but I take care of them. My current used one, I bought about 15 years ago and still working fine. My snowblower is about 20 years old, I bought one with an electric start, just plug an extention cord in. Plus I keep it in a semi-warm garage, that helps a lot for starting.

Batteries do lose capacity and need replacing. A lot of my electric tools, it seems the batteries are almost as expensive as buy a new tool that includes a battery.

But I agree, avoiding small engine tools like a weed trimmer, etc. battery or corded makes sense.

Last edited:

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
My opinion, also is that since the demented head commie in charge is pushing for higher ethanol content in gasoline, which is incredibly hard on small engines, maybe battery operated lawn and landscaping tools will make more sense, as time goes on. It gets more problematic with automobiles, considering the prices of them and all the other issues with electric cars and batteries, but smaller engined tools, I can get behind that.

hernancortes

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
If you could only test drive a new mower.
The idea of battery lawnmowers is great, but where the rubber meets the road is how well does it cut? How well does it bag or mulch and does it leave clumps. You have to commit to find out. Which is why I'm staying with my 15 year old gas push mower and 15 year old ride-on Snapper til they crap out totally.

bb28

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I've had an electric chainsaw from Sears for several years. I use it for small jobs as I prefer to run the tank dry on the gas saw when I use it. Recently, the battery needed to be replaced and I found there simply aren't any for sale. I ended up replacing it with a Makita 18V electric saw, but I would think about that for any future purchases if it is a small or fringe brand and perhaps the batteries are no longer for sale anywhere.

Also, your range will deplete as the batteries age which may or may not be a problem depending on your yard.

bb

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
I need one that can mow 10 acres an hour, 300 acres total

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
Very narrow application. Slightly smaller just use a weedeater. Any bigger use a gas mower.

The 40volt leaf blowers are amazing however.

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is an electric lawn mower loud enough to make sure that all my neighbors are up by 8AM on the weekends? If not, I have no interest in one. lol

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Is an electric lawn mower loud enough to make sure that all my neighbors are up by 8AM on the weekends? If not, I have no interest in one. lol

One of my neighbors woke me up early, the other day, with a lawn mower. Was that you? Where do you live?

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
I have a 5 hp wood chipper that makes a nice noise.

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Gas powered 3100psi pressure washer with a Subaru engine makes a sweet sound at 7am on Sunday morning. Spice it up with an additional Sears wet/dry vac.

I’ll bet your neighbors love you.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
In Sweden at my daughter's house, the Husqvarna electric robot mower has been in use for 3 years now.

The terrain is big, bumpy, with steep slopes, but it manages well, until it gets hung up on crap like trying to cross over the aluminum ground bars of the kid's trampoline...

3 grand at purchase I think... and if you want to change the landscaping you have to dig and change the guide wires...

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
If you could only test drive a new mower.
The idea of battery lawnmowers is great, but where the rubber meets the road is how well does it cut? How well does it bag or mulch and does it leave clumps. You have to commit to find out. Which is why I'm staying with my 15 year old gas push mower and 15 year old ride-on Snapper til they crap out totally.

ours cuts just as good as the gas mower

it bags just as good too

and it mulches about the same as the gas

and no clumps

all this also depends on what type of grass one has , is the lawn wet or dry when mowed , mulched , or bagged , and how often one mows

i do not think an electric mower can hold a candle to a big wheel Yazoo

but yeah , I am not into mini brush hogs either

DD4FC6FB-536F-424D-834E-748FD9EA07D6.jpeg

72CE4F4D-C349-4815-B677-4EA3D08038C1.jpeg

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Sold my old lawnboy to an ex because I bought a Honda. Huge mistake! The Honda doesn’t reach into corners worth a damn because the deck is longer on the front end than the blades. Keep that in mind when buying a new mower. No, she wouldn’t sell it back.

engineear

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Have a 17" Allett mower from England with a 6 blade reel, can get a 10 blade. Has interchangeable cartridges.
Adjustable height down to 12mm, IIRC. I have about 700 feet in backyard.

I scalped it 4 times, start high, then lower, lower, till its very short, in the spring, to get it ready for growing weather.
Ran about an hour or so. Battery charges in about 40 minutes. Have had it 2 years and love it. Can remove the reel cartridge to have it sharpened.

Check their website...Allett usa...many countries use their mowers for soccer, polo fields...good stuff.
20200514_122024.jpg
20200621_163545.jpg

Last edited:

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
In Sweden at my daughter's house, the Husqvarna electric robot mower has been in use for 3 years now.

The terrain is big, bumpy, with steep slopes, but it manages well, until it gets hung up on crap like trying to cross over the aluminum ground bars of the kid's trampoline...

3 grand at purchase I think... and if you want to change the landscaping you have to dig and change the guide wires...
Self driving robot mower. Buried guide wires and GPS. Tied to your cell phone too.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
Quick, somebody back into the lawnmower.......

doglips57

Reaction score
I have a mower and weed trimmer. The mower will use the weed trimmer battery, but the mower battery won’t work in the trimmer. You get about 45 minutes from the mower battery and about a half hour from the trimmer’s. It’s so quiet that I was mowing at 6 in the morning and the neighbor woman came outside and was surprised to see me because she didn’t hear the mower. They also make other tools. I’ve read many good reviews about their chainsaws.

bulloncoins

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
From the 60's all through the 80's, my grandfather used an electric mower to mow his yard. It was a small green colored mower. The handle would flip over the top, so when you reached the end of a row of grass, you just flipped the handle over the mower and go the other direction. The one drawback to the whole thing was that it took a long cord to hook into the electric, and that cord had more cuts and patches than you could imagine. He would just accidentally run over it while mowing, and then had to splice it and tape it back together. That cord was more tape than wire, but it kept running until he passed away and we sold the mower in a garage sale. That mower would not die. It was unique for it's time. Never saw another like it. Very small, light weight, but it cut that yard ( a decent size yard) thousands of times over all those years.

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
From the 60's all through the 80's, my grandfather used an electric mower to mow his yard. It was a small green colored mower. The handle would flip over the top, so when you reached the end of a row of grass, you just flipped the handle over the mower and go the other direction. The one drawback to the whole thing was that it took a long cord to hook into the electric, and that cord had more cuts and patches than you could imagine. He would just accidentally run over it while mowing, and then had to splice it and tape it back together. That cord was more tape than wire, but it kept running until he passed away and we sold the mower in a garage sale. That mower would not die. It was unique for it's time. Never saw another like it. Very small, light weight, but it cut that yard ( a decent size yard) thousands of times over all those years.

One of these, by any chance?
D0943289-5690-4823-8E0E-FB951A3C5BAF.jpeg

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Here’s another ad:
7F9E2F07-9BD1-4332-A377-5D58F6390C40.jpeg

bulloncoins

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I believe it was a sunbeam! Too cool. You could not wear it out. Thanks for a good memory!!!

engineear

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I had a black and decker with the cord that flipped like that also, had it 10 or more years. Finally ripped out all the buffalo grass and installed sod that I mow short, which that rotary B&D wouldn't do. Never cut the cord though.

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Sold my old lawnboy to an ex because I bought a Honda. Huge mistake! The Honda doesn’t reach into corners worth a damn because the deck is longer on the front end than the blades. Keep that in mind when buying a new mower. No, she wouldn’t sell it back.
Government "safety" standards.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I put together and fired up the milwaukee weed wacker this morning the thing is a beast. They had a battery powered milwaukee mower there as well, but at 1k per, I think ill stick with my cheap gas mower for now. it was 100 frn, and sips gas.