• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What People Actually Say Before They Die

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
The Atlantic

Mort Felix life’s end arrived at the age of 77, his body besieged by cancer and his consciousness cradled in morphine, uninterested in music and refusing food as he dwindled away over three weeks in 2012.
Felix’s 53-year-old daughter, Lisa Smartt, kept track of his utterances, writing them down as she sat at his bedside in those final days.

So she wrote a book; Words on the Threshold, published in early 2017, about the linguistic patterns in 2,000 utterances from 181 dying people, including her father.

“As the person gets weaker and sleepier, communication with others often becomes more subtle. Even when people are too weak to speak, or have lost consciousness, they can hear; hearing is the last sense to fade.”

At the end of life the majority of interactions will be nonverbal as the body shuts down and the person lacks the physical strength, and often even the lung capacity, for long utterances. “People will whisper, and they’ll be brief, single words—that’s all they have energy for,” Keeley said. Medications limit communication. So does dry mouth and lack of dentures. She also noted that family members often take advantage of a patient’s comatose state to speak their piece, when the dying person cannot interrupt or object.

Many people die in such silence, particularly if they have advanced dementia or Alzheimer’s that robbed them of language years earlier. For those who do speak, it seems their vernacular is often banal. From a doctor I heard that people often say, “Oh fuck, oh fuck.” Often it’s the names of wives, husbands, children. “A nurse from the hospice told me that the last words of dying men often resembled each other,” wrote Hajo Schumacher in a September essay in Der Spiegel. “Almost everyone is calling for ‘Mommy’ or ‘Mama’ with the last breath.”

Pretty interesting information for those that are interested, the essay at the site is much longer than my cliff notes version here.

BF

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
What People Actually Say Before They Die

"Watch this..."
"Hold my beer"
"oh oh"
"Let me see it."
"Run!"
"Is that your husband?"
"Does this taste funny to you?"

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
"Hey, what's with the hood and sickle?"

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
Many people die miserable deaths; to die in a hospital after a stroke, or put on painkillers like morphine, to be dying of cancer, or going bonkers in the weird isolation of institutions, can be a fate worse than death.

When planes are going down and the passengers aware they will soon die many of them shout obscenities; that shows what people are really made of knowing they are going to meet their maker. Compare that to those who live a life of self denial, ready for death not clinging to every earthly pleasure and comfort as if they had a divine right to life as some believe. "... the terror by night... the arrow that flieth by day".

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I'm thinking one single word that may be stretched out or really short and at the time it will have no meaning towards sex.

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I just hope my death isn’t boring.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I just hope my death isn’t boring.
be careful what you wish for muj.

Last Words Spoken Before Execution

George Appel
"Well, gentlemen, you are about to see a baked Appel"
Executed by electric chair in the 1920s

Barbara Graham
"Good people are always so sure they're right."
Executed by gas chamber in 1953.

Erskine Childers
"Take a step forward, lads. It will be easier that way."
Irish nationalist who smuggled guns to Ireland, executed by firing squad

Edmund Zagorski
“Let’s rock”
electric chair, November 1, 2018

Mine's probably gonna be "goodbye"
BF

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Many people die miserable deaths; to die in a hospital after a stroke, or put on painkillers like morphine, to be dying of cancer, or going bonkers in the weird isolation of institutions, can be a fate worse than death.

When planes are going down and the passengers aware they will soon die many of them shout obscenities; that shows what people are really made of knowing they are going to meet their maker. Compare that to those who live a life of self denial, ready for death not clinging to every earthly pleasure and comfort as if they had a divine right to life as some believe. "... the terror by night... the arrow that flieth by day".
Makes me think of the 9/11 jumpers. Crazy stuff.

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
“Be it life or death, we crave only reality. If we are really dying, let us hear the rattle in our throats and feel cold in the extremities". Thoreau

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member
Ooops I crapped my pants...

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I have been present at far more deaths than I care to think about. I have heard many many different things. So many so that I would say that it depends on how the person lived and what his/her life was about tells what they say at the end.

Most fighting men will say something to a loved one such as a wife/girlfriend or Mother. "tell her I love her" is common.

A motorist (car crash victim) usually can't talk or is so confused that they just want to know where they are or where a passenger or family member is at. I suspect this has something to do with the blunt force trauma and Traumatic Brain injury that they suffer in a MVA.

Stroke patients usually don't make much sense but can understand you and what is going on, at least for a while until a significant portion of the brain dies. You can usually still see they are hiding inside but unable to get out. Sad!

newmisty is correct for a lot of people, they are killed so fast not much is said at the moment of death.

The worst ones for me are the kids. I will not dive into that right now (not enough EToH on board).

So the author of the article is right in that people can say just about anything, but what does it matter what someone says on their death bed.

It's what we say in life that matters!

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
The gold is buried in theeeeee.....

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
My army buddy and I both carried a "special syringe" if either of us were to suffer some kind of horrific wounds the other would take care of it.

Believe me, some of the guys that get saved aren't being done any favors

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
The gold is buried in theeeeee.....
My next wife is gonna be a hot gold digger. Going to tell her she can have my millions in gold upon my death...... Then on my death bed.. The gold is buried under the rr...rrrr....rrrock.-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Zed

Size doesn't count!
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Orgasm noise...

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
The worst ones for me are the kids. I will not dive into that right now (not enough EToH on board).
In my early years and an EMT working in the Emergency Room. The infants & kids absolutely bothered me the most.
Even teenagers at least experienced some living. Adults, well it was their time to go.

Thecrensh

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
In my early years and an EMT working in the Emergency Room. The infants & kids absolutely bothered me the most.
Even teenagers at least experienced some living. Adults, well it was their time to go.
I might be weird, but I don't grieve for an elderly person who has lived a long, good life...it is sad to see someone go, but they lived their full measure and have nothing to be sad about. Death is something we cannot avoid.

BarnacleBob

Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
I realized "life is just a temporary sport" a long time ago.... The game is coming to its conclusion!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I might be weird, but I don't grieve for an elderly person who has lived a long, good life...it is sad to see someone go, but they lived their full measure and have nothing to be sad about. Death is something we cannot avoid.
The last elderly person I knew that passed at 97 was ready to get on with it, You can only sit around watching tv and eating crackers for so long.

bb28

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I visited a client with the pastor of my church. He had cancer of multiple organs and diabetes and he looked like half the man he was before. His last words to me was I know I'm going to make it. Several days later, he died.

bb

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
My army buddy and I both carried a "special syringe" if either of us were to suffer some kind of horrific wounds the other would take care of it.

Believe me, some of the guys that get saved aren't being done any favors
About a quarter of the guys I knew had a "deal". We did not carry syringes.

An odd thing about being nearly 80... I do not really givvashit.

I shoulda died on that awful day, and I did not. I went on to have a yippy-doo looong life with incredible experiences. No debt, and I've been all over the world (except Russia and Antarctica) and some dinky who cares places like Africa or Greece.

Learned to fly, learned to shoot, did a load of farming, married a drop-dead gorgeous redhead (who is related to royalty, not nobility) who gave me two spectacular sons.

I've piloted/driven/cruised on just about every conveyance known, including a small sub and a big horsie.

Happy is defined in the dictionary as: See Unca Walt.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
I was bothered by some things for awhile, then a friend had me watch platoon.

Don't be a fool. There ain't no such thing as a hero out here, or a coward. You do what you have to do to make it out of here and its all gravy. Every day, the rest of your life. Gravy.

Rollie Free

Midas Member
Midas Member
My mom died a few months ago. I was laying right next to her. Her children and grand children, all of us, were surrounding her bed. I was holding her as she breathed her last. I was being the 'strong' one but as she passed, I broke. I called her 'mommy', so did my brother. I didn't think I was capable of such a thing. Like it was brought up from somewhere deep.