• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What to invest in 2017

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
DRD. South african so risk factor, but will hit 8-9 by summer most likely. 50 potential long haul.
Will it fill that gap?

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
URA - Someone knows something. Volume thru the roof.

Nice trend on the rest...

louky

Silver Member
Silver Miner

OverOver

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
I found some stocks to buy and hold forever while researching the various dividend stocks that might go up in 2017.
These include:
Cummins Inc. : Dividend yield: 3.14%
Nike Inc : Dividend yield: 1.23%
Verizon Communications Inc. : Dividend yield: 4.6%
For dividends I've stopped looking at individual stocks. I like closed end funds.

MFD
it's an infrastructure/utility dividend income fund. At .33 quarterly it's paying 10.22% with a current s/p of $11.69
the five year range is $10 to just over $18 which is what it's suppose to do...so, pretty much strictly income for this.
Also, utilities seem to be 'rising interest rates' sensitive.

http://web.tmxmoney.com/quote.php?qm_symbol=MFD:US

OverOver

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
P

Someone knows something. Me. Haha. Check the uranium thread, last two pages

http://www.goldismoney2.com/threads/uranium-alternative-energy-4.46058/page-14

Scroll down till you see my first post. That's when you know the bottom is in ;)
Uranium is a fun market with the spook of disaster always lurking. I actually did really well buying UEC and URG
at the bottom and sold both recently for a s/t gain. A couple hundred on URG but UEC I bought all under .97 cents
and sold between 1.08 and 1.35 for afewk. I only have UUUU now.

louky

Silver Member
Silver Miner

Best healthcare subsector - pharmacies

Energy leading subsector - canadian small cap oil and gas exploration

Infrastructure leading sub sector - engineering

Industrials leading sub sector - conglomerates

Retail leading sub sector - luxury, cosmetics

Technology leading sub sector - HACK (cyber security)

Biotechs will be range bound

2017 end of $ bull

Uranium, lithium, nickel, iron ore, rare metals, platinum, palladium, aluminum, zinc, metals, metals, metals

Softs like sugar, grain, coffee, soy, etc

Zed

Size doesn't count!
Midas Member
The world is nutz again, I'm long 1000 Dec 2017 Beanie Baby Contracts. Big delivery month for Beanie Babies and I'm sure there aren't enough to cover 12/2017 demand.

OverOver

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
If/when we get a general market pull back, US telecoms
No U.S. telecoms, no U.S. headquartered companies for me.

I bought Spark New Zealand Ltd. It has a current div yield of 8.14%

It's home listing is obviously on the New Zealand stock exchange so all it's other listings (AU, US, Germany) key off the
share price there. Monday in New Zealand is on. https://www.nzx.com/markets/NZSX/securities/SPK

It has a U.S OTC listing SPKKY which is a sponsored ADR that is fairly active at 5/1 meaning 5 shares of SPK.NZX = 1 share of SPKKY on the OTC/US
Friday SPKKY closed at $12.64 with volume at 61,503 http://web.tmxmoney.com/quote.php?qm_symbol=SPKKY:US There's also an extremely, thinly traded non sponsored ADR symbol NZTCF. I do not know who makes the market. I have shares under both symbols.

I also have Telstra (Australian) 6.01% div yield currently. Sponsored ADR ticker TLSYY Friday $19.64 with 52,722 shares. Unsponsored TTARF 1 to 1
I only own the sponsored on this.

Last edited:

edsl48

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
40% VTSMX = Total Stock Market
40% VBMFX = Total Bond Market
5% cash
5% physical PMs
Re-balance annually...works for me being here in my late 60s

dacrunch

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
The multi-unit rentals I bought (dirt cheap) in the early 90's have kept a steady cash flow to this day. I can't say as much about any other "investments" I've made. I was lucky to to buy gold under $900 and silver under $15... and needing to sell them when they were near their highs...

OverOver

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
No U.S. telecoms, no U.S. headquartered companies for me.

I bought Spark New Zealand Ltd. It has a current div yield of 8.14%

It's home listing is obviously on the New Zealand stock exchange so all it's other listings (AU, US, Germany) key off the
share price there. Monday in New Zealand is on. https://www.nzx.com/markets/NZSX/securities/SPK

It has a U.S OTC listing SPKKY which is a sponsored ADR that is fairly active at 5/1 meaning 5 shares of SPK.NZX = 1 share of SPKKY on the OTC/US
Friday SPKKY closed at $12.64 with volume at 61,503 http://web.tmxmoney.com/quote.php?qm_symbol=SPKKY:US There's also an extremely, thinly traded non sponsored ADR symbol NZTCF. I do not know who makes the market. I have shares under both symbols.

I also have Telstra (Australian) 6.01% div yield currently. Sponsored ADR ticker TLSYY Friday $19.64 with 52,722 shares. Unsponsored TTARF 1 to 1
I only own the sponsored on this.
Both of these telcos got hit on their respective home markets (16th) SPK down .15nzd = .11usd so with
their U.S. ADR made up of 5 common shares NZ that would be a possible drop of .55 cents US for SPKKY.

Telstra is worse. HY earnings were a disaster. TLS.AX shed .34aud = .26usd same as SPK 5/1 so .26X5=1.30usd for
a possible drop for TLSYY when the U.S. markets open.

I own both of these and they act whacky. Some times they go up for half the day before konking out. Wait and see.

Goldfinger

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
View attachment 87998 View attachment 87999 View attachment 88000 View attachment 88001 ...I found some cheap USGI .30 M2 AP ($60 a bando) then decided to pull my " records" and crunch the numbers to see if I am rich yet......spam can .30 HXP 5 years ago $98-today getting close to $200. 200 loose can, 5 years ago, $89, today $139, bandoleered AP .50 a round, today bringing $2 a round, orange tip $1.50 a round, silver tip, up to $7 a round....so I took a day to do a full inventory....I think I have enough food to feed a third Garand, which by the way, are now running about $1,000, since CMP's stock is depleted....
The hell with PMs, stocks, real estate; I've done better buying that right there than all of it combined. Now, if I just would have had enough sense to invest some real money into ammo speculation, I would be setting pretty.