• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What's Cracking In The Garden 2017

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
We got another inch of rain last nite, it looks like im rained out. I was supposed to spray wheat stubble for the neighbor today, but after a quick drive around its obvious that wont happen, at least not for a day or two. The wheat is looking good, if it doesnt hail well get one for sure.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Finally home after traveling the last 2 out of 3 weeks.. Lots to catch up on.. All fig trees stored in outbuildings are dead.. Major bummer. around a 7k loss overall. :(..
Woke to the lilac and roses in full bloom this morning. Smells awesome.
Lost most of my tomato and pepper starts.. Going to direct seed a bunch and transplant what did survive.. By the end of the year all will be well and salsa will be in full production. :)..

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Finally home after traveling the last 2 out of 3 weeks..
Missed ya!
Sorry to hear about your figs. Mine survived winter, those that were in the ground, are coming back, but did die back to the ground. Those 2 that I had in my wood shop are fully leafed out now and sitting out by the side of my shop where the eaves will drip on them. I did dig those other 2 out of the ground and potted them, will winter those in the wood shop. Gonna have to move some lumber out of there to make more room. Also, planted some ginger in pots. Those are all lined up along the sunny side of my shop. The figs I had tried to start from cuttings, did not root.

Still do not have bees, but as I was out mowing today, I noticed bees working my hive boxes. Not sure if they are just robber bees or scouts out looking for a new home for a swarm.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Thanks Dan I was stalking the site from mexico :).. On a phone that I have had for a week though so definitely not logged into anything from down there. I probably won't even use it again until next year .
My one in ground fig is coming back as well. Also had about 20-30 in the house overwinter so I won't be files and I had sent my daughter a few good ones last year so I can get cuttings back from her. Also have a friend in Col with over 125 varieties so he can help me out when I am ready.. To be honest it may be a blessing though.. Thats a ton of work I don't have to do this year and can focus more on the other garden areas..

No apples, peaches or pears again this year. Plums look like nothing there either.. Maybe some cherries, I did see them flower earlier this year and will look later.

Lilac is really drawing the bees in. I planted the lilacs and the roses especially for the bees, plus I love the fragrances :)..

Figs from cuttings can be tricky.. They can also be very easy. Sometimes as easy as stick em in a container and throw them in the shade until they sprout.. .... Just blows my mind that not 1 freaking tree survived the winter.. Maybe something will sprout later this summer. :(

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Welcome back herby the Cigarman..bummer about your figs..mine are chugging along but they did not like the cold and dropped several leaves but are now showing new growth..
Say , hook me up with your Colorado friend for some fig trades!...
Coopersmith , wheat looks good out here and ground is pretty dry...
7 of the next 10 days temps in the fecking 90's!...
I'm running around like a madman trying to plant stuff!..
Tomatoes and peppers in the batters box with melons and cukes on deck!..
Time to feed the chickens and have a couple tokes to start the day out on a high note!..

0522181238.jpg 0520181452b.jpg

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Bees! A buddy called and left a message yesterday he caught a swarm, come and get 'em. We found the message last night after dark, recalled and he said they were in a bucket in his back yard. I went over this morning and got them, put them in a hive body and they have gone right to work. I returned the empty bucket and left him a couple dozen fresh eggs. I guess he lost a few bees to the winter too, but he is in an area where he seems to catch a lot of swarms.

The garden is doing great, what there is of it. Most of our garden has gone to berries with just enough room left over for vegetables. The farmer finally got back on the fields today to plant the beans

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
The wheat looks pretty good here too. I was in kansas yesterday looking at some angus bulls, and some wheat is starting to turn over there.

Were working on planting tomatoes today. Peppers go in tomorrow. I decided to wait until we had some less windy days, as I feel that hot wind can really set plants back if its strong enough.

Soil temp 68 degrees.

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Bees! A buddy called and left a message yesterday he caught a swarm, come and get 'em.
I've lived rural all my life & have never seen a swarm of bees.
That's a good friend ya got there.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I've lived rural all my life & have never seen a swarm of bees.
That's a good friend ya got there.

I was tearing along a lovely country road on my Suzy trail bike... and a swarm of bees swung right into the center of the road.

SPLORT!!

I did not get stung. But I STUNK!! BLEAHH!! From my toes to my forehead, I was covered in gooey bee-mud. :tongue::tongue:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Have you much experience with any of the Diesels? Triple D in particular?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
We got the first round of tomatoes in yesterday, what a pain in my ass.....or should I say back. peppers today, in the heat and wind, meant to be 96 degrees.

Here is a tip for you folk who have blossom end rot issues. Put a tums in the bottom of each planting hole before you put your plant in. Calcium carbonate is the main ingredient in antiacids.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Well, what a good start to the holiday weekend. My neighbor brought over 2 tons of alfalfa small bales yesterday I bought for my goats. His kids were with him, and they were out in the gardens while I was planting tomatoes. They have a big garden too, so they know the scene.

About 9 am all 4 of em pulled up on their bikes having rode a couple of miles, and said they came to work. Did I mention the oldest one is 11. So I put their little asses to work. In 3 hours we planted 500+ pepper plants, put #10 cans around em, laid out and pressured up a drip tape setup (already had a pvc header built), and dusted with sevin.

I gave em $20 apiece, said thanks kids, and sent em home to their mama.

Time for a shower, a nap, then fire up the smoker and get the pork shoulders going.

What a blessing little folk are.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Well, what a good start to the holiday weekend. My neighbor brought over 2 tons of alfalfa small bales yesterday I bought for my goats. His kids were with him, and they were out in the gardens while I was planting tomatoes. They have a big garden too, so they know the scene.

About 9 am all 4 of em pulled up on their bikes having rode a couple of miles, and said they came to work. Did I mention the oldest one is 11. So I put their little asses to work. In 3 hours we planted 500+ pepper plants, put #10 cans around em, laid out and pressured up a drip tape setup (already had a pvc header built), and dusted with sevin.

Time for a shower, a nap, then fire up the smoker and get the pork shoulders going.

AMEN! And now they'll love gardening even more!

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

500 pepper plants? What ya growing? Either you love salsa or you must sell a few peppers :) Nice job..

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Itll be more like 800 when all is planted, theres another smaller second round to go in in a few weeks. Yea, we grow for farmers market sale, and to full our pantries. heres a list of what were growing

early jalapeno
jumbo jalapeno (for poppers, very popular here)
numex joe parker
numex big jim
anaheim chile
serrano
colossal bell
big bertha bell
california wonder bell
poblano hybrid
a few carolina reapers for insecticidial spray and drunken shenanigans when we have parties

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Baby chicks are hatching out , maybe a dozen. Only 1 hen was all broody. But that's ok. We are not in the bird business.
Coopersmith , that must be a helluva garden!. Would love to see a few photos if ya get a chance..must look like Arlington cematary with all this #10 cans lol......
Chit fire , I about got overheated planting 25 tomato plants let alone 500!..
Today its peppers. Mostly jalapenos , some Georgia Flames , and cayannes for the chickens...
We have a small garden so we water everything by hand. We have only had 2 real rain days this month.
Severe drought.
There are seminars in the county that try to help farmers deal with it. Maybe they should just pray harder.
Those seminars are not free. Farmers have to pay to find out that they are going down unless they change their ways.
Anyone can farm when water is ready available.
Land management under drought conditions ain't for the weak minded nor uneducated.
I see farmers and ranchers throwing in the towel around here.
And suicide rates amongst farmers is the highest in the nation.
And on that fine note , I better get my old arse out in the garden and start watering!.. .. ....

c23b2f96c99ae888bbae7914e3e0e035.jpg

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Itll be more like 800 when all is planted, theres another smaller second round to go in in a few weeks. Yea, we grow for farmers market sale, and to full our pantries. heres a list of what were growing

early jalapeno
numex joe parker
numex big jim
anaheim chile
serrano
colossal bell
big bertha bell
california wonder bell
poblano hybrid
a few carolina reapers for insecticidial spray and drunken shenanigans when we have parties
Very nice. I have a couple different jalapeños and serranos are my favorite. Perfect heat and better flavor in my salsas for sure. Also some habaneros, Peppadew from Africa and Piment D esplette from France I think it is.. That ones just to grind to use in place of black pepper. Supposedly better flavor with similar heat.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
We have a small garden so we water everything by hand. We have only had 2 real rain days this month.
Severe drought.
There are seminars in the county that try to help farmers deal with it. Maybe they should just pray harder.
Those seminars are not free. Farmers have to pay to find out that they are going down unless they change their ways.
Anyone can farm when water is ready available.
Land management under drought conditions ain't for the weak minded nor uneducated.
I see farmers and ranchers throwing in the towel around here.
And suicide rates amongst farmers is the highest in the nation.
Dry land farming means just that. You are at the mercy of old ma and she can be as fickle as any female. I rarely water my high plants but this year twice already. Farmers are crying enough that I'm thinking they are trying to water the crops with tears.
Funny part is that in 2002 when we had our worst drought[that I seed], many farmers had their best year in forever as they collected insurance and had none of the expenses except seeding. Some cattle guys are already selling off cattle instead of trying to find feed for them later.
Wife is going to plant some cukes and tomatoes today and I am going to find parts for a few projects.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Yes Sir , everything from seed...
Except a few clone only strains....

A couple of male plants that I will isolate from the herd and collect some cannaspearm to splooge the females with..

View attachment 104305
Jeeeebus. I thought you had to keep the fargin males away forever and ever amen.

I know so little. I thought you planted seeds, "weeded", and planted seeds next season.

Never thought of where seeds come from... now that I thinks onnit. Walt, you iggerunt slut.

I'd better stick to blasting away in my back yard with my boom-toys.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

early jalapeno
numex joe parker
numex big jim
anaheim chile
serrano
colossal bell
big bertha bell
california wonder bell
poblano hybrid
My buddy grew lemon droppeppers last year. I could eat them morning noon and night but they've run out. I like them diced in salads, eggs, chili etc. Dragon tongues (don't know legit name) and thai hots are fun too.

Here's some pics of my experimental garden a couple years back.

I wanted to see the production value from various small containers. A couple very small containers with green peppers I left clear allowing sunlight exposure to the roots and they performed better than anticipated.

I did a couple cherry toms and maybe early girl IIRC ranging from 1gal,-5gal

Did jalapenos in quart and smaller and green peppers in 1gal-small

The cukes were in quarts and had an admirer...

B12.jpg

b7.jpg b9.jpg b8.jpg b10.jpg
b6.jpg
b13.jpg B11.jpg b2.jpg b3.jpg b4.jpg b5.jpg Bounty.jpg

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
newmisty -- Yer killin' me.

I can smell the peppers in those pics...

Here I am, in sunny south Floriduh. I tried (even bought a rototiller, mulch, yada) to raise veggies for fargin years. Alas, it was not to be.

Goddamn' nuclear-powered nematodes make up fifty percent of the weight of topsoil. The amount of poison I would have to use is just not an option.

So, how about a raised garden with only store-bought dirt? Ummm... we have night-time AND day-time animobiles that simply must eat everything above (and below) the dirt.

So how about a raised garden with a chickenwire frame over it? BTW: $$$ Doesn't even slow down the:

1.)

ricky iguana 6-crop.jpg

sandhill cranes.jpg

The yellow line is pointing to a peacock. He is guilty, too. And bunny rabbits.

There are some things I CAN grow. Coconuts. Lots of coconuts. Mangoes (YAY!). Lemon grass (Yum). Lychee (Yum). Macadamia nuts... OOP. I have grown many macadamia nuts. In the fifteen years the thing has been in the ground, I have not yet gotten one fargin macadamia nut. Squirrels.

BTW: The macadamia nut tree is just to the right of the yellow mark and behind the feeder thingy. Healthy as can be.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
newmisty -- Yer killin' me.

I can smell the peppers in those pics...

Here I am, in sunny south Floriduh. I tried (even bought a rototiller, mulch, yada) to raise veggies for fargin years. Alas, it was not to be.

Goddamn' nuclear-powered nematodes make up fifty percent of the weight of topsoil. The amount of poison I would have to use is just not an option.

So, how about a raised garden with only store-bought dirt? Ummm... we have night-time AND day-time animobiles that simply must eat everything above (and below) the dirt.

So how about a raised garden with a chickenwire frame over it? BTW: $$$ Doesn't even slow down the:

There are some things I CAN grow. Coconuts. Lots of coconuts. Mangoes (YAY!). Lemon grass (Yum). Lychee (Yum). Macadamia nuts... OOP. I have grown many macadamia nuts. In the fifteen years the thing has been in the ground, I have not yet gotten one fargin macadamia nut. Squirrels.

BTW: The macadamia nut tree is just to the right of the yellow mark and behind the feeder thingy. Healthy as can be.
I used scaffolding to elevate some of the plants. One could then wrap with deer netting or the like. Perhaps with a modular panel included for easy access? Small vented greenhouse. If sun is too much you could partially shade it etc.

Pot farmers in Hawaii were known to use small stands up in the trees to hide their grows.

Jarrod32

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Memorial weekend update...the squash and melons look good. Even getting an early bloom or two on some of the squash plants...
1527531168546.png

Tomatoes and peppers look good; cucumbers are coming along slow but sure.
The corn hasn't come up for squat. Thinking I'm gonna replant some corn...
Beans are looking good, though:
1527531281779.png

Lettuce, beets, radishes are all coming up nicely.
Strawberries and blueberries are formed and ripening:
1527531504919.png

All in all, coming along nicely so far. Now we hold our breath...severe thunderstorms in the forecast this afternoon and tonight...

stonedywankanobe

.409'er
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
About a month back pops and I framed on a duck lodge that took us through the heart of American rice production. The fields start about 5 miles southeast from my house and extend in that direction for the next 5 counties and are called collectively, the "Grand Prairie".

As for the rice itself some 1.2 million acres are grown here annually. A 2 billion $ yearly boon for the state that represents nearly 60% of all U.S production.

In the winter when they flood they fields it becomes the Nations largest artificial wetlands and a refuge for migrating ducks and hunters alike.

The job was a solid 2 hour drive from home and save for passing through the town of Stuttgart, the "Rice and Duck capital of the world", it's pretty much nothing but rice fields all the way there.

About 45 miles in
IMG_0539.JPG

Look at that nice little sign just welcoming y'all right on in!
Actually we would hang a Leroy there and still had 40 miles of rice to go to get to work. It were a sight to behold.

IMG_0540.JPG

Pics of the main Riceland storage and shipping facilities here. Railways run right between the towers to load up and carry that shit all over creation.

IMG_0543.JPG

Was the first day on the job here looking back West and north towards home. This is the backside of Dewitt here and we're smack in the middle of several thousand acres of soybeans curiously enough.

IMG_0550.JPG

Nothing but crop dusters buzzing by and dust devils for miles. The wind never stops there, ever. About a week in I got to witness modern farming in action. They brought in 6 of the giant Johndeere tractors then rowed and planted i bet 1500 acres in maybe four hours. I may be a little off on those figures but it was damn impressive to say the least.

...Well shit guys, it's dang sure summer here, 96 and balls humid today. I'm under me willow in the shade watching the berries turn blue. It could definitely be worse.

IMG_0654.JPG

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
What th3 fark is hanging a Leroy!?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Bro! Thanks for the Free subscription to Stoney's Encyclopedia~ I learned heaps in that there post. Heaps.

American Rice

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Out of sight far out bitchin'!.....

Leroy and Ralph are new to me too...
The drunk in the bar was looking for Ralph Ralph...said he drove a Buick Buick...
In Oklahoma it is gee and haw for a left and right...
We are in tall cotton right now...gardeners heaven...sunshine and 90's..
Oh I could bitch about the drought and fecking wind...but.
Baby chicks hatching out..
More tomatoes and peppers going in ground...

Why did chickens cross the road?..
To get a closer look at a 94 Nissan hard body pu with 30k miles.....

0530181037.jpg 0530181037a.jpg

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
A Leroy is a left turn. When turning right it's "hanging a Ralph" in these parts, I thought errbody pneu that Mister.
Common knowledge ain't so common. Now I understood it, but I'm old and been around, and quite possibly heard it before. whistle:

We got the rain we needed to bring the garden weeds alive, gotta get out there and work on that... :mining: